1,043 of 1,094 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars My honest review of the Thunderbolt - a week later
If you're looking for an honest review of the Thunderbolt (mind you, I've only had it a little less than 2 weeks at this point), please read on.

First, a little background: I've been a Verizon customer for years. I previously had an LG Env2 for 3 years before buying the Thunderbolt. Like a lot of you, I'm sure, I waited and waited and skipped over several...
Published on March 29, 2011 by Alex

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish I liked it more
I bought the original Motorola Droid when it first came out. That device was not only a flagship (like the Thunderbolt), but was a "Google Experience" device, which means that Motorola did not botch it up nor did the carrier because Google wanted a pure experience for the user. The Thunderbolt is NOT an experience device, sadly.

The Good:
The internet...
Published on March 22, 2011 by RJ

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Built in Stand is Awesome!, February 2, 2012
This review is from: HTC ThunderBolt 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Love this phone - bought an iPhone and took it back b/c I missed widgets, built-in nav, and other Android features. So glad I found this phone! Screen is large and crisp enough and functionality impressive enough that I haven't felt the need to get a tablet. Screen clarity good enough to watch a Netflix movie or TV show, integrated GPS navigation (that I use every day to check traffic), extremely fast true 4G, and all the other Android bennies. My fav feature is the built in stand, which lets me use the phone as an alarm clock, video player, book reader, etc., all without needing a dock. You won't be disappointed in this phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phone turned out great!, January 17, 2012
I have had this phone for about 3 days now. before I bought it I read reviews of how the battery life was terrible, however a friend of mine has one of these and put the extended battery on it and his will last for days without recharging. So I have done the same, on purchase I bought the extended life battery and I have yet to charge it after the one time I have since I got the phone which was three days ago. It is running on the 4G network and so far..it's only down to 73% battery life. Though to be perfectly honest, I don't text a crap load like most people nor do I play games or add a bunch of apps. I use this phone as it's needed, when not in use I push the button at the top and put it in sleep mode. It all depends on how much your going to use this phone and what it's going to be used for. As long as you just use it to text some during the day and for calls...I am sure it can last you about 2 days or more on battery power if you have the extended life battery on it. The only con with the bigger battery is it is bulky, however that doesn't bother me. I am sure you can make the normal battery last if you had to, but for those who are constantly doing other things like on facebook, youtube, skype, etc etc..probably will have battery issues as you will with any phone if you use it for hours at a time. So basically stating, I advise getting the extended battery life for the phone if your worried about power issues and this is still a great phone.

On the topic of quality of calls. I definately have heard better quality on other phones, but this phone isn't that bad. It's just decent. You can hear and understand them and they can hear and understand you. It's really not that quiet, not as loud as other phones and yes there isn't an option to turn it much louder if you wanted, but honestly I can hear everyone just fine even when my kids are running around me going nuts.

Sound quality for music and sound files are ok. Your phone isn't going to bounce up and down to the boom sounds of bass coming from it's speaker. If you plug in headphones the music sounds just fine and in perfect quality..however like I said up above, if you use your phone for downloading music and listening to music you will probably have battery issues as you will with "any" smart phone.

Camera quality is really good when you use the back camera. My pictures and videos come out crystal clear. The front camera as stated in the phones spec isn't as great as the front however it is still decent. You can use it to take self portraits or skype for video calls, there again though I stress thats hard on your battery ;). You can also use the phones flash lights as a flashlight as you can with most HTC phones. has the settings of brightness and the brightest is pretty bright.

My personal thoughts about this phone is it's a great phone, it is fast and easy to use and if your worried about 4G taking up alot of battery power you can use 3G if your going through a day where your using your phone for entertainment purposes such as traveling or bored at work. The one thing I don't like about it which really doesn't have to do with the phone at all, but it's with all the bloatwear Verizon loads onto it. There is just a bunch of preloaded apps on it that I will never use and cannot take off.

So with this being the end of my review I give the Thunderbolt 4 stars. It is indeed a awsome phone, but yes I agree with some it could use a few tweeks with sound quality and it shouldn't have to come with so much useless apps which is Verizons fault anyway. I only reccomend that if you go with this phone, get yourself the extended life battery and you'll have yourself a pretty cool phone. Thanks for reading :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pre-Install Apps Frustrations, January 9, 2012
Melanie U. (Monroe, GA United States) - See all my reviews
The Thunderbolt is a great phone, although I need to charge it 3-4x a day if I'm using a lot of it's features. Verizon's got great coverage. Call quality is decent.

My main frustration with this phone are all the pre-installed bloatware (i.e. VCast, Blockbuster, CityID, etc) that I can't uninstall. I believe this is a Verizon issue. So when my plan expires, I WILL be shopping around for a new carrier unless I have more control over a phone that I paid $200 for upfront and a plan I'm paying $90/month. This may seem like a petty reason, but it's constantly wanting to update these apps and they take up the Thunderbolt's resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Thunderbolt...great value for the money!, December 3, 2011
I had been researching my next smartphone purchase for about 5 months, and during that time, I had gone over the 4G options with Verizon. I initially didn't care for the 4G craze, and started looking at the high end 3G phones first. the Droid incredible 2 had quickly become my choice, until my wife said that I would regret being stuck with a 3G phone for the next two years, and i believe she was correct. the LG Revolution was quickly eliminated, but the Samsung Charge hung in there with the Thunderbolt. The primary reason was battery life. I am the biggest battery life mizer I know, and the Tbolt has reportedly HORRIBLE battery life. But, my research drove me to several Tbolt forums where many many people stated that the battery life is not great, but it's not as bad as some have stated. As of mid October, I settled on the Thunderbolt for my upgrade phone, and my wife and I got them for free from Best Buy the day after black friday. I immediately was taken by the size of the phone, even though I had seen them in Verizon and walmart several times prior to that day. it is a bear of a phone...but it's not the biggest, or the heaviest. if you have average sized hands (guys) it should be fine for you. My wife actually likes the size, and most of her friends are taking to it as well. the 4.3 screen seems to be becoming the standard, so get used to it. I immediately took both phones home, charged them, and installed juice defender on them. the first night/day, the phones were both at 60% battery with "new user" use on them. internet, facebook, etc. the key to battery life with these monster data users is tweaking the phone...just search on the internet and you'll find many tips to ease the battery usage. my wife is not the battery mizer I am, and she reported to me yesterday after unplugging the phone at 6am, at 11pm she still had 65% battery left. this was with light internet, three times on facebook, and several checks of personal email.
I love the display, the ease of usage (we're coming from HTC Eris, so it's familiar territory) and of course, the SPEED. Kansas City has just gotten 4G LTE in mid November, and it's b-e-a utiful. the colors and multi-tasking options are great, and Netflix works like a charm, almost HD quality picture on my phone!!! NFL Mobile looks really great as well.
overall, I'm very pleased with the upgrade, my wife has no complaints at all, and i believe we will be fine for the next two years without the "newest" phone on the market. I'm sure the Bionic, Razr, Rezound and others are really good phones, but the Tbolt can do everything they can do, so I have no complaints, or regrets. I have a tight budget, and for my money, the Thunderbolt fits the bill perfectly. Oh yeah, and I got to grandfather my UNLIMITED data plan over from the Eris. What I don't understand is that just about ALL of the 4G phones out there have the same issue....bad battery life. lets face it, these phones are powerful, and the battery technology has not kept up with them. If you plan to buy a smartphone with 4G, plan on charging them at least once during the day. buy a car charger, or at least have an extra battery with you for a back up. I have two places outside of home I can charge at anytime, though with my tweaks, I haven't had the need to. just do your due diligence and research, and your battery life issues won't be such a surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars THUNDERBOLT, November 29, 2011
I've had this phone for about 8 months now and I love it. I have loaded it up with stupid apps and poorly taken pictures and no matter what i do to it it still works. the only complaint i could have is the stock battery is far to underpowered and dies quickly, this however can easily be rectified with Extended Battery/Door for HTC Thunderbolt (Black) I purchased a similar battery (2750mAh) lasts all day and runs just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars HTC Thunderbolt, November 29, 2011
I love this phone! It is my first smartphone and using it is a blast. It seems to do everything a smartphone should do and do it quickly. The ONLY downfall is the lack of battery life, but I thankfully read all the prior reviews and ordered and extra battery and additional charger so that I will never be without life. I would highly recommend this phone. Take advantage of Verizon's free 4G for the price of 2G while it lasts! I will probably never be in a 4G area to utilize that feature of the Thunderbolt, but recieving double the G's made it worth the purchase. FYI,Amazon was $50 cheaper than Verizon and also had many of the OEM accessories for CHEAP!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get It For Access to 4G...LTE isn't where it needs to be yet..., October 13, 2011
Overall, I have very few gripes about this phone. It's relatively attractive, comes with a lot of nice features, and the screen display quality is amazing.
Major highpoints of this phone:
-The 8 megapixel camera takes great pictures! The front facing camera is of considerably less great quality, but it's a really nice touch and still takes pretty decent pictures and video.
-My phone came with a 32 GB mini sd card which offered awesome storage capacity.
-Call quality is excellent, very clear, no dropped calls, though I did accidentally hang up on people a couple of times.
-The kickstand is a nice touch, though the brushed aluminum coating is peeling off.
-It's highly customizable from ringtones, to home screens, to everything.
-Android App Store
-Relatively easy to use

Average Point:
-Battery Life: it was horrible the first few months, lasting about 6 hours on average before needing to be charged. But once I turned off notifications for my Yahoo! Mail app, it has significantly improved to what I would consider reasonable good battery life for a phone that uses up that much energy. If I use the internet lightly and only talk on it for an hour or less, it gets me through the day.

Now for the lower points:
-I'm not impressed with 4G LTE. It could be the fact that what started off as marginally faster browsing in the first few weeks, has slowed down considerably in the past few months. It's now not any faster than my friend's and family's 3G phones. I'm not saying it's slow, but it's noticeably more sluggish than the first few weeks I had it. (And I've tried all the basics like clearing the cache and what not.) So don't get this phone because it's 4G because I don't think it's worth it yet.
-While the camera takes great pictures, I've had pictures and video disappear on me for days at a time and then reappear up to 2 weeks later, after I pronounced dead. I'm glad the pictures and videos came back, but it's stressful. Sometimes when I download picture attachments and save them to my phone, I have to save them twice to get them to stay.
-As I noticed someone else pointed out, sometimes the phone will send text messages to the wrong person. I've had this happen to me three times. The first time I blamed myself, figuring I'd accidentally hit the wrong person, it's a touchscreen, it happens, but the last two times the two people were no where near enough other. Luckily we all know each other very well, so it wasn't embarrassing, but it's still not appreciated.
-The phone is big. That's good for watching videos and playing games, but I have smaller than average hands so holding this thing with one hand and texting at the same time isn't as speedy as I would like it to be. That's just a minor gripe though. My biggest complaint with the large size is how hard it was to find cases I liked with a phone this size.
-I was a regular user of My Verizon to check on my usage and pay my bill, it took Verizon over 5 months to get it compatible with the Thunderbolt, sorry but that's unacceptable.

At the end of the day, I'm happy enough with this phone to keep it for the time being, but I am already shopping around for something else. 4 stars because I can't do half stars and it really is a pretty good phone overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review for those who aren't techno-geeks, September 16, 2011
When it comes to technology, I know just enough to mess things up. So this is a review for people who just want a simple, non-technical review. I love the androids because I can always do things on my phone that my kids' iPhones can't. Like free Google maps vocal directions or the Swype keyboard for example. I had the Droid, then the Droid X, and now I have a Thunderbolt because I thought 4G was the next great thing. However, the "speed" is mostly felt when you are downloading information. Honestly, I can't tell any difference from my Droid X. And even with all that speed, Netflix still pauses periodically during my shows to "buffer."

If you use your phone as a phone (Really? People still do that?) or just want to browse or play simple games, you won't feel much difference in speed from some of the 3G phones such as the Droid X. But you will in the pocketbook. The hot spot for the 4G is $10/month more. Also, since I live in a Chicago high rise, I need an extender to prevent dropped calls. But with a 4G phone, my old extender (old = 18 months!) won't work, so now I have a land-line plus the Thunderbolt. Oh and you better buy an extra battery with a battery charger because you can easily go through two batteries during the work-day.

The good - the screen is probably the biggest that's available right now and it comes with a front-facing option for the camera. So, if you need a new phone anyway, the Thunderbolt is great, but if you already have a pretty good 3G android, my suggestion is don't bother.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it was cracked up to be, September 14, 2011
I waited eagerly for my contract for my BB to be up so I could upgrade to an I Phone. The sales people at Verizon convinced me to wait for the new and wonderful 4G ThunderBolt which I did. They convinced me that the ThunderBolt was a far more advanced and streamlined choice since it was 4G, had all these wonderful features. I bought the phone with the extra battery attached and then had only two weeks to try and figure it out before returning it (if I didn't like it). Too fast a turnaround. Two major problems with the phone: 1) Calling out using a bluetooth earpiece is a frustrating game, even with the most noise-filtering bluetooth and 2) Syncing with my MacBookPro is impossible! I am hoping that the IPhone5 (or whatever model comes out at the end of my two year contract with the ThunderBolt) will be a better fit for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars From iPhone 3GS to Thunderbolt 4G, September 13, 2011
Having come from an iPhone 3GS I was looking for speed, speed, and more speed. I found it in the Thunderbolt 4G. Getting used to the "flow" of the TB was pretty easy. Once I figured out that I could pick from a few different setups for my home screen and customized my applications to the way I wanted, I didn't miss my iPhone at all. The fact that I got free apps/mp3s daily from Amazon didn't hurt either. I installed SWYPE as my new keyboard and I am enjoying it though I need to spend more time on it to get quicker. All in all using AmazonWireless.com for my phone and service was a pleasure. The only thing I wish I could have done to begin with would have been to get a choice of phone numbers. I called Verizon and got a new number to match my needs, other than that awesome service all around!

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›