1,042 of 1,093 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars My honest review of the Thunderbolt - a week later
If you're looking for an honest review of the Thunderbolt (mind you, I've only had it a little less than 2 weeks at this point), please read on.

First, a little background: I've been a Verizon customer for years. I previously had an LG Env2 for 3 years before buying the Thunderbolt. Like a lot of you, I'm sure, I waited and waited and skipped over several...
Published on March 29, 2011 by Alex

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish I liked it more
I bought the original Motorola Droid when it first came out. That device was not only a flagship (like the Thunderbolt), but was a "Google Experience" device, which means that Motorola did not botch it up nor did the carrier because Google wanted a pure experience for the user. The Thunderbolt is NOT an experience device, sadly.

The Good:
The internet...
Published on March 22, 2011 by RJ

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Thunderbolt...great value for the money!, December 3, 2011
This review is from: HTC ThunderBolt 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I had been researching my next smartphone purchase for about 5 months, and during that time, I had gone over the 4G options with Verizon. I initially didn't care for the 4G craze, and started looking at the high end 3G phones first. the Droid incredible 2 had quickly become my choice, until my wife said that I would regret being stuck with a 3G phone for the next two years, and i believe she was correct. the LG Revolution was quickly eliminated, but the Samsung Charge hung in there with the Thunderbolt. The primary reason was battery life. I am the biggest battery life mizer I know, and the Tbolt has reportedly HORRIBLE battery life. But, my research drove me to several Tbolt forums where many many people stated that the battery life is not great, but it's not as bad as some have stated. As of mid October, I settled on the Thunderbolt for my upgrade phone, and my wife and I got them for free from Best Buy the day after black friday. I immediately was taken by the size of the phone, even though I had seen them in Verizon and walmart several times prior to that day. it is a bear of a phone...but it's not the biggest, or the heaviest. if you have average sized hands (guys) it should be fine for you. My wife actually likes the size, and most of her friends are taking to it as well. the 4.3 screen seems to be becoming the standard, so get used to it. I immediately took both phones home, charged them, and installed juice defender on them. the first night/day, the phones were both at 60% battery with "new user" use on them. internet, facebook, etc. the key to battery life with these monster data users is tweaking the phone...just search on the internet and you'll find many tips to ease the battery usage. my wife is not the battery mizer I am, and she reported to me yesterday after unplugging the phone at 6am, at 11pm she still had 65% battery left. this was with light internet, three times on facebook, and several checks of personal email.
I love the display, the ease of usage (we're coming from HTC Eris, so it's familiar territory) and of course, the SPEED. Kansas City has just gotten 4G LTE in mid November, and it's b-e-a utiful. the colors and multi-tasking options are great, and Netflix works like a charm, almost HD quality picture on my phone!!! NFL Mobile looks really great as well.
overall, I'm very pleased with the upgrade, my wife has no complaints at all, and i believe we will be fine for the next two years without the "newest" phone on the market. I'm sure the Bionic, Razr, Rezound and others are really good phones, but the Tbolt can do everything they can do, so I have no complaints, or regrets. I have a tight budget, and for my money, the Thunderbolt fits the bill perfectly. Oh yeah, and I got to grandfather my UNLIMITED data plan over from the Eris. What I don't understand is that just about ALL of the 4G phones out there have the same issue....bad battery life. lets face it, these phones are powerful, and the battery technology has not kept up with them. If you plan to buy a smartphone with 4G, plan on charging them at least once during the day. buy a car charger, or at least have an extra battery with you for a back up. I have two places outside of home I can charge at anytime, though with my tweaks, I haven't had the need to. just do your due diligence and research, and your battery life issues won't be such a surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars THUNDERBOLT, November 29, 2011
I've had this phone for about 8 months now and I love it. I have loaded it up with stupid apps and poorly taken pictures and no matter what i do to it it still works. the only complaint i could have is the stock battery is far to underpowered and dies quickly, this however can easily be rectified with Extended Battery/Door for HTC Thunderbolt (Black) I purchased a similar battery (2750mAh) lasts all day and runs just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars HTC Thunderbolt, November 29, 2011
I love this phone! It is my first smartphone and using it is a blast. It seems to do everything a smartphone should do and do it quickly. The ONLY downfall is the lack of battery life, but I thankfully read all the prior reviews and ordered and extra battery and additional charger so that I will never be without life. I would highly recommend this phone. Take advantage of Verizon's free 4G for the price of 2G while it lasts! I will probably never be in a 4G area to utilize that feature of the Thunderbolt, but recieving double the G's made it worth the purchase. FYI,Amazon was $50 cheaper than Verizon and also had many of the OEM accessories for CHEAP!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get It For Access to 4G...LTE isn't where it needs to be yet..., October 13, 2011
Overall, I have very few gripes about this phone. It's relatively attractive, comes with a lot of nice features, and the screen display quality is amazing.
Major highpoints of this phone:
-The 8 megapixel camera takes great pictures! The front facing camera is of considerably less great quality, but it's a really nice touch and still takes pretty decent pictures and video.
-My phone came with a 32 GB mini sd card which offered awesome storage capacity.
-Call quality is excellent, very clear, no dropped calls, though I did accidentally hang up on people a couple of times.
-The kickstand is a nice touch, though the brushed aluminum coating is peeling off.
-It's highly customizable from ringtones, to home screens, to everything.
-Android App Store
-Relatively easy to use

Average Point:
-Battery Life: it was horrible the first few months, lasting about 6 hours on average before needing to be charged. But once I turned off notifications for my Yahoo! Mail app, it has significantly improved to what I would consider reasonable good battery life for a phone that uses up that much energy. If I use the internet lightly and only talk on it for an hour or less, it gets me through the day.

Now for the lower points:
-I'm not impressed with 4G LTE. It could be the fact that what started off as marginally faster browsing in the first few weeks, has slowed down considerably in the past few months. It's now not any faster than my friend's and family's 3G phones. I'm not saying it's slow, but it's noticeably more sluggish than the first few weeks I had it. (And I've tried all the basics like clearing the cache and what not.) So don't get this phone because it's 4G because I don't think it's worth it yet.
-While the camera takes great pictures, I've had pictures and video disappear on me for days at a time and then reappear up to 2 weeks later, after I pronounced dead. I'm glad the pictures and videos came back, but it's stressful. Sometimes when I download picture attachments and save them to my phone, I have to save them twice to get them to stay.
-As I noticed someone else pointed out, sometimes the phone will send text messages to the wrong person. I've had this happen to me three times. The first time I blamed myself, figuring I'd accidentally hit the wrong person, it's a touchscreen, it happens, but the last two times the two people were no where near enough other. Luckily we all know each other very well, so it wasn't embarrassing, but it's still not appreciated.
-The phone is big. That's good for watching videos and playing games, but I have smaller than average hands so holding this thing with one hand and texting at the same time isn't as speedy as I would like it to be. That's just a minor gripe though. My biggest complaint with the large size is how hard it was to find cases I liked with a phone this size.
-I was a regular user of My Verizon to check on my usage and pay my bill, it took Verizon over 5 months to get it compatible with the Thunderbolt, sorry but that's unacceptable.

At the end of the day, I'm happy enough with this phone to keep it for the time being, but I am already shopping around for something else. 4 stars because I can't do half stars and it really is a pretty good phone overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review for those who aren't techno-geeks, September 16, 2011
When it comes to technology, I know just enough to mess things up. So this is a review for people who just want a simple, non-technical review. I love the androids because I can always do things on my phone that my kids' iPhones can't. Like free Google maps vocal directions or the Swype keyboard for example. I had the Droid, then the Droid X, and now I have a Thunderbolt because I thought 4G was the next great thing. However, the "speed" is mostly felt when you are downloading information. Honestly, I can't tell any difference from my Droid X. And even with all that speed, Netflix still pauses periodically during my shows to "buffer."

If you use your phone as a phone (Really? People still do that?) or just want to browse or play simple games, you won't feel much difference in speed from some of the 3G phones such as the Droid X. But you will in the pocketbook. The hot spot for the 4G is $10/month more. Also, since I live in a Chicago high rise, I need an extender to prevent dropped calls. But with a 4G phone, my old extender (old = 18 months!) won't work, so now I have a land-line plus the Thunderbolt. Oh and you better buy an extra battery with a battery charger because you can easily go through two batteries during the work-day.

The good - the screen is probably the biggest that's available right now and it comes with a front-facing option for the camera. So, if you need a new phone anyway, the Thunderbolt is great, but if you already have a pretty good 3G android, my suggestion is don't bother.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it was cracked up to be, September 14, 2011
I waited eagerly for my contract for my BB to be up so I could upgrade to an I Phone. The sales people at Verizon convinced me to wait for the new and wonderful 4G ThunderBolt which I did. They convinced me that the ThunderBolt was a far more advanced and streamlined choice since it was 4G, had all these wonderful features. I bought the phone with the extra battery attached and then had only two weeks to try and figure it out before returning it (if I didn't like it). Too fast a turnaround. Two major problems with the phone: 1) Calling out using a bluetooth earpiece is a frustrating game, even with the most noise-filtering bluetooth and 2) Syncing with my MacBookPro is impossible! I am hoping that the IPhone5 (or whatever model comes out at the end of my two year contract with the ThunderBolt) will be a better fit for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars From iPhone 3GS to Thunderbolt 4G, September 13, 2011
Having come from an iPhone 3GS I was looking for speed, speed, and more speed. I found it in the Thunderbolt 4G. Getting used to the "flow" of the TB was pretty easy. Once I figured out that I could pick from a few different setups for my home screen and customized my applications to the way I wanted, I didn't miss my iPhone at all. The fact that I got free apps/mp3s daily from Amazon didn't hurt either. I installed SWYPE as my new keyboard and I am enjoying it though I need to spend more time on it to get quicker. All in all using AmazonWireless.com for my phone and service was a pleasure. The only thing I wish I could have done to begin with would have been to get a choice of phone numbers. I called Verizon and got a new number to match my needs, other than that awesome service all around!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone and what a deal with Amazon Wireless...got it over Incredible 2, September 7, 2011
PJ (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This is my first smart phone and so far I love it. Mind you, I am not a tech person and don't know the nitty gritty of the phones, but I can give an honest take on it. I had the Incredible 2 for a month and didn't like the smallness of the phone. Also, the texting got buggy on me. It felt awkward in my hands because it was thin. So, I exchanged it for the Thunderbolt and I am so glad I did. The speakerphone is much better on the Thunerbolt. Also, it feels more ergonomic in my hands. Yes, it's a little heavier, but no real difference to the Droid charge. I don't live in a 3g area, but I figure in the next 2 years 4g will be where I am so why not get a 4g phone.

I feel like the Thunderbolt is the twin of the Incredible 2. Just easier for those of us with not so dainty hands. Also, after trying out the different option phones in the Verizon store, I really felt HTC had the most user friendly set-up. I almost got the Samsung Charge, but I felt the Thunderbolt was a little easier to navigate through.

Yeah, a lot of people are bitter about the battery life on the Thunderbolt, but I don't really have a problem charging it every night. If you are a heavy data user, then yes, you'll need to charge it more than just at night. But, if you get any other of the 4g phones, you're going to do the same thing. I use Pandora and play some games. When I do, I notice the battery drain. But, no really big difference over the Incredible 2. Both great phones, but the Thunderbolt is for me!

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand why this phone is release to the market, August 19, 2011
what good is a phone if battery only last 3 hours
what good is a phone if it Bluetooth can't connect to your car? ( google htc thunderbolt bluetooth issues before you want to buy )

its good for paper weight ( but not good if you want to carry it around like a phone )

that's about it

2.0 out of 5 stars A potentially great phone ruined by poor battery life, August 19, 2011
I've had this phone for a few months and have been through all the ups and downs with it. Won't belabor a lot of the points made in prior reviews. I like the big screen and features. Is pretty fast when it does use 4G, but still fast with 3G. Call reception is clear and have minimal drops. It does freeze at times and will crash and reboot which can be irritating but I haven't experienced an excessive amount of problems with these issues. There are issues with texting in that it can be less responsive at times and open another text conversation though I selected another and assume it's the phone as I never had this problem with other devices. The major disappointment is the battery life. Even being on standby and sending the occasional text, the battery life is good for about 4 hours, necessitating the need to carry a charging cord with me at all times.

Overall, this could have been a very good to great phone. I can put up with the glitches, but the low battery life makes this a deal breaker and I would recommend looking for an alternative Android phone. It would be nice if HTC/Verizon came out with a new version that deals with the major issues and either replace or give a deep discount to those who bought this version.

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›