4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
Previously I've owned a HTC G1 and a Samsung Nexus S.

Published on November 18, 2012 by G. Rathbone

1.0 out of 5 stars REFURBISHED PHONE BEING SOLD AS NEW!!!!
Came in a refurbished box WITH A DISCLAIMER saying its refurbished.
I contacted the seller and they gave me the run around. Until I just gave up. These people are dishonest and are are misrepresenting this product.

Published 12 months ago by Shan

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, pretty, pretty good., November 18, 2012
This review is from: HTC 8x c620E 16GB Unlocked GSM Smartphone - No Warranty - Black - GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; HSPA/WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Previously I've owned a HTC G1 and a Samsung Nexus S.

In my opinion the OS is pretty good. It definitely feels better than Android, at least initially. After you setup your accounts and get whatever apps you need, it feels pretty good to use. The internet browser is pretty solid, and there is a decent reddit app available. I especially like the automatic photo sync that happens with SkyDrive. So I'll be out taking pictures, and the photos will automatically get uploaded to my PC. I like not having to bother with cables anymore.

One thing I don't like is there is no built in turn by turn directions. You may have to buy an app for that if this is a must have feature for you :-/

As for hardware, this device feels very solid. One complaint I have is the unlock button at the top could be easier to press. The screen is bright and vibrant and the glass of the screen feels great. The resolution of the screen seems very high, I can't see any pixels!

I think WP8, android, and iOS all accomplish more or less the same thing nowadays. So if you like the style of this OS, I can easily recommend this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my 8X!!!, November 25, 2012
heathbc888 (Corona del Mar, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was a faithful Blackberry user (and I still admit it) for a long time because productivity is super-important to me. Despite this, all the nice new devices kept tempting me, so I tried the iPhone 4S but took it back after 30 minutes when it choked on Exchange sync. Next I tried the Galaxy SII and I kept that for a whole weekend, but took it back when I got frustrated with not being able to move between apps easily. I just don't have time to peck into and out of apps like that. I was waiting for the SIII to come out as I thought that might be an improvement, but bought an HTC Trophy to test out Windows Phone 7.5 in the meantime, and I was immediately hooked due to how WP syncs my Exchange folders so effortlessly. I was able to move emails around on my phone and those moves would replicate on my work and home computers immediately. This saved me a good four hours per month in email processing, and was surprisingly far more powerful than a Blackberry in this regard. I didn't bother with the SIII and eagerly awaited the WP8 on Verizon as I enjoyed my Trophy.

I was able to test out both the HTC 8X and the Lumia 822 in-store. The 8X is incredibly slim and it just looks beautiful, but the screen was slightly larger than I wanted so was seriously considering the Lumia. Then I took a photo of my kids with both devices while I was inside the store and with no flash. Honestly, the 8X photo and screen just blew the Lumia away. I pre-ordered the 8X then and there. I've now had the device for a little less than a week and I absolutely, 100% LOVE THIS PHONE!!! I got a silicon case when I bought it, but the phone itself is just so beautifully designed that I tossed the case after a couple of days. I love to just look at this device and its gorgeous screen. The screen is fantastic - you can't see pixels at all and the glass feels frictionless. I put a screen protector on though, and there was absolutely no loss in accuracy (my Trophy suffered a little and my daughter's LG Android doesn't do well with a screen protector at all). WP8 ROCKS. Live Tiles bring all my data to the surface on one screen, and People Hub sucks all my social media updates and organizes them the way *I* want them (no more facebook timeline - yay!). And really, that's the whole point. I don't have to go digging into apps - it's all right there. It's SOOOO much more efficient than Android or iOS. I can have seven apps open at a time and nine browser windows (maybe more, I haven't tried). That's real processing power in your hands.

Skydrive effortlessly keeps all changes between my WP8, work and home computers sync'd, so I'm never without my current data. Switching from my Trophy to my 8X was simply a matter of logging into my new device - everything was there within minutes. I have plenty of excellent games to choose from. The device has a 'Kid's Corner', which means I can put all the games/apps/files I want into that location and keep their sticky fingers away from accidentally emailing or calling my business contacts. So useful!

The phone is 4GLTE - blazing fast. I download 3M files in moments. No waiting for mobile web pages at all, and even slow/heavy graphics sites load within a second or two. There are many more features but I'll end by saying that this is hands down the most powerful productivity device I've seen yet, it's totally fun to use, and it's just beautiful to look at. I have the blue one, and after me waxing lyrical about it for three days, my wife is now getting the red one. I highly, highly recommend this phone :)

1.0 out of 5 stars REFURBISHED PHONE BEING SOLD AS NEW!!!!, January 15, 2014
Came in a refurbished box WITH A DISCLAIMER saying its refurbished.

I was so excited to get this phone and when I got it and contacted them, they kept giving me the run around then told me to claim from Amazon as it covered. Now I'm stuck with it because its cost to send it back is more than the cost of the dambed thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone in Windows 8 Space, May 18, 2013
HTC 8X is definitely a incredible design and ergonomic. Windows 8 apps are a welcome change from iOS. Among the three ecosystems, I prefer Android, Windows 8, and iOS in that order. I got access to few Windows 8 phones to review. I will try to review them, but since I have not used for a period longer than a month I am not reviewing for reliability. 4.3" Super LCD 2, 720x1280 resolution, 342 ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 2. Glass 2 is overlooked. Glass 3 is in the making and supposed to be even better. Stating following because this is highly underrated in reviews. From Corning's Gorilla Glass specs; WHAT MAKES GORILLA GLASS SO DAMAGE RESISTANT? The unique composition of Gorilla Glass allows for a deep layer of high compressive stress (created through an ion-exchange process). This compression acts as a sort of "armor," making the glass exceptionally tough and damage resistant. Ion exchange is a chemical strengthening process where large ions are "stuffed" into the glass surface, creating a state of compression. Gorilla Glass is specially designed to maximize this behavior.

1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Krait processor, 16 GB internal flash, 1 GB RAM NO microSD slot! Battery is 1800 mAh Li-ion battery. Compared to a high end Android Galaxy Note II, which has a battery of 3100 mAh Battery. Battery is also not removable. __Not having a storage expansion slot is a bummer for lot of people! Not being able to remove battery is a double bummer.__ 8 MP camera is awesome, and HD videos were fantastic. For me, storage expansion and removal of battery is very important, so I was disappointed. This is the downside the unibody design. This is the reason for me giving a 4 star review.

I have used in the past extensively HTC Titan I and II which is pre Windows 8 (7.5) and I was surprised it has become more buttery smooth now. Apps are very smooth on 8X even compared to Nokia Lumia series. Apps are limited in Windows 8 marketplace. Yes, we have heard this a gazillion times. I tried with Navigon which turned out to be great in giving voice directions.

Engadget wrote after the release: "Yes, the 8X is a fantastic ambassador to Windows Phone 8, but after using it for several days, we're longing for a similar phone from HTC running Android -- at least until a stronger app ecosystem develops for Microsoft's latest mobile OS" This is a chicken and egg situation. Unless more phones are sold, developers don't have incentives to write apps. Apps are less now, because people are not buying in big droves. Windows Phone is now (early-mid 2013) the third-leading mobile phone platform, more than tripling its market share year-over-year. One recent report I read Android and iOS are ahead in games with 162.1 and 37.4 million shipments in 1Q13 and Windows phone came in 7 million. This is more than double from previous year. I really hope for Windows 8 platform to surge ahead because having a 3 way competition with iOS and Android is good for the ecosystem.

1.0 out of 5 stars This unlocked phone did not work with T-mobile. We ..., September 15, 2014
This unlocked phone did not work with T-mobile. We ended up having to spend more money and buy a new phone. Very, very frustrating!

1.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished Don't Purchase (motherboard was changed), December 26, 2014
Guys Don't Purchase this s*** i have contacted HTC online to ask about the 8.1 update and guess what this phone is not new it is refurbished
and the problem is motherboard was changed
my IMEI wasn't identified by HTC

anyway the phone till now performing well for 2nd day if usage but i will see and keep my eye on it

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC makes very good windows phones, February 8, 2013
This is a review of the "Global" version of the HTC 8X.

Performance gets 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given the performance a full five stars however the phone takes a while to boot up, other than that the performance is great.

The material used for the back of the phone has a nice texture with good grip, it should be used on all phones.

The sound is very good; especially with the HTC blue took stereo headphones. My one complaint is a lack of a graphic equalizer, however that is not a big deal due to the improvement of the built in audio. I personally prefer having an EQ to adjust so that is one area lacking from the WP 7/WP 7.5.

The screen images are crystal clear and sharp, and the size of the screen is good.

There is still a limit on the availability of apps, such as I Heart Radio does not have an WP8 app yet. The ESPN, Weather Channel, Facebook, and Twitter apps are very good, better than the Android apps. (with the exception of Facebook)

I am pleased that this phone has integrated Windows Live messenger and Facebook Chat into the messaging feature as did the WP 7 and WP7.5, Android phones need that feature.

As with the WP 7 and WP 7.5 contact sync is simple and quick by with signing into Windows Live, Facebook, and Twitter. (Duplicates are linked together and appear as a single contact on the phone)

The back facing camera takes wonderful photos. I have not yet used the front facing camera.

Having office on the phone has come in handy in the past as a college student.
I do highly recommend this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC 8x Excellent!, June 5, 2014
I've had the HTC 8x for 5 months and have found it to be excellent. This is one of the best cell phones I've owned and is an improvement over my previous Android phone (with the 2.3 operating system). I love the clarity and responsiveness of the screen. I also like how thin it is. Battery life has been good. The back is rounded with a rubberized coating that makes it easy to hold. The operating system is easy to use. I have an iPad, so I'm not looking for an extensive app selection on the phone. I use it to scan documents (which are saved to Onedrive), send emails, text (using both the native text app and Whatsapp), update facebook, take photos, read the news and ... as a phone! It works well for all of those. As for playing games or reading a book, I generally use my iPad for that, though I have the capacity to do so on the phone. The phone's photos are very good when the light it good. In low light settings, it's easy to take a blurry shot. Nonetheless, the placement of the dedicated camera button is convenient. One small mark against the phone would be the placement of the microphone. I keep placing my pinky over the hole. Obviously, I just have to change the way I hold the phone, which is not difficult. But, I'm unaware of it until someone says, "Why do you sound so far away?" Then I move my finger and everything improves. This ranks as one of my two favorite cell phones. The previous favorite was a Nokia e71--which, after 6 years of use, still works! I don't know how long the HTC will last, but so far it's been excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this cellphone, December 26, 2013
This cell phone is refurbished, associate a verizon. A other thing is the battery not hold by 1/2 day. the cellphone has nice looking but the battery is not extraible and is a waste of battery not hold the charge by 1/2 day.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this phone, but storage is too small for photos and videos, February 9, 2014
I ordered this phone very quickly when a seller offered it for 180. However, I forgot to check if it is actually 8G or 16G. Although he listed teh phone as 16G, it is actually 8G. I felt like s***. However, the seller was nice and we made a deal, so I kept the phone. HTC designed this phone very well. I like the shape, the screen and the speaker of the phone very much. However 8G memory is too tiny to use. 16G may be acceptable. However, think carefully if you want to store images, videos, some heavy games. I also realize There will be temporary files will generate as you have used the phone for a while.

Hope my comment helps!