5.0 out of 5 stars !Blink! My Kid is a Programmer!
I gave this book to both of my daughters, and holy heck am I glad that I did!

No more pictures on the fridge, no more writing on the walls; now the kids are spending their time creating websites to inform family and friends of what they are doing.

Published on September 14, 2011 by Karl A. Krist

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not valid html code
Published 11 months ago by Christine Berni

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not valid html code, January 21, 2014
This review is from: HTML for Babies: Volume 1 of Web Design for Babies (Board book)
My husband and I are both web designers, so we were ordered this book as a Christmas gift for our daughter. Sadly we then discovered that some pages contain code that is not valid - tags being closed without opening, opening without later being closed, etc. After mentioning this to the author on their Facebook Page, they confirmed that was not a mistake, and that due to layout issues they were not always able to fit all the proper tags onto a page/spread. For a book that is supposed to introduce babies/children to the basics of HTML, we find that very disappointing, and therefore decided to return the book. Others may think this harsh, but would you want to introduce your child to a foreign language or math or geometry, or any other subject for that matter, using a book that has errors/omissions on the most basic level?

We commend the author for their idea, but there must be some way to fit valid code into the layout!

5.0 out of 5 stars !Blink! My Kid is a Programmer!, September 14, 2011
Karl A. Krist (Woodland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I gave this book to both of my daughters, and holy heck am I glad that I did!

One family member suggested that my 2 year old use Facebook, but due to the lax security I decided against it. But there are no concerns now that we spent the last two nights going over security procedures including HTTPS; XSS and SQL Injection. Though I will admit, the SQL Injection part was a bit scary, and I'm sure it led to nightmares.

Overall though, this has really opened up communication in our home AND it has set my daughter off into a new career. Thanks Amazon! You're the best!

2.0 out of 5 stars Baby Wouldd Be Better Off With A WYSIWYG., October 3, 2011
I was so excited for this book to arrive, but as soon as I opened it, my happiness dissipated. Whereas I didn't expect my 9 month old to be diving into developing his own code after gnawing on this book, I did at least assume that his new chew toy would contain valid HTML syntax. This book was a cute idea and it had great potential, but it all seems pointless if the markup is off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if this book will help me., December 30, 2012
A Kid's Review
Eager to delve into the fray of HTML, I was quickly dismayed to see it is too complex for me to grasp at this age. Perhaps when I am two it will start to make sense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for babies, December 26, 2012
This HTML would not pass an XHTML parser. It doesn't make sense and only really teaches kids that html has <>/" with words

1.0 out of 5 stars Not HTML, November 23, 2012
The HTML in this book is invalid, incorrect, or missing large sections. If it could be read as English with extra symbols, that would be fine, but that doesn't work either. This book is worthless, both because its "HTML" is completely nonsensical, and because my 2-year-old finds the book boring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Offending Your Target Market, December 25, 2012
Janell (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This board book was received as a present. The idea of an HTML board book for babies delighted me.

The back of the book promises, "It's never too early to be standards compliant!" That has to be an poor joke. The content is far from standards compliant and is full of errors.

The code snippets made me cringe, shudder, and cry. The majority of the errors could have easily been avoided by permiting someone with minimal HTML knowledge glance at it prior to publication.

1.0 out of 5 stars LAME, September 7, 2012
I thought this would be fun to give to a couple that is having a baby and also have web design experience. What a mistake! Upon reading through it, I see that the code is complete nonsense. That completely ruins the validity of such a gift. It's not HTML for anyone, especially babies. It looks like HTML but it's not valid or compliant. If you are thinking of getting this for someone, make sure they know nothing about HTML or they will see through such a lame gimmick. The markup in this book will assure that they will continue to know nothing about HTML.

2.0 out of 5 stars fun book for geeks only, April 9, 2014
When I saw the cover of this book somewhere on the internet I just had to have it!
Shipping from the US to Europe took a couple of weeks, so imagine my anticipation when the package finally arrived!

Being a web developer for many many years I instantly noticed all the errors in the book, like the closing ">/<a>" without opening an "<a" first - which happened on the next double page, so maybe the pages of the book got all mixed up?
Also due to the layouting, it is really bad to "read", so effectively it's just a bunch of random letters on some pages. Yeah, that's harsh, I know.

The idea of the book is really fun and once you manage to fight your way through all the pages, you notice that some of the most important tags of HTML language have been listed, but I'd suggest some serious editing (I think it would be enough to introduce the concept of style classes and id just once) and to hire another layouting guy to make it more enjoyable for us parents, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gag, no content., November 30, 2013
This book makes for a great sight-gag. I was delighted to send pictures of my daughter holding this book to some folks at work. But there's no real content.

Don't get me wrong, I knew that the book wouldn't truly teach my daughter to code, and I didn't expect 100% standards compliance. But some thread (a story? a few words from a nursery rhyme tagged on each page?) to draw me through the entire book with my daughter would have gone a long way toward me reading this book with her for fun.

As it stands now, this book has been sitting on the shelf since the day after she opened it.

HTML for Babies: Volume 1 of Web Design for Babies
HTML for Babies: Volume 1 of Web Design for Babies by John C. Vanden-Heuvel Sr. (Board book - July 1, 2011)
$8.99 $7.40