Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on August 15, 2015
Jon Duckett has great content in his book, this fact can't be denied, there are far more verbose and expansive books on HTML and CSS, very few books are more example oriented. While reading a book this book I felt at times as if I were watching a video presentation as opposed to reading a book. This book provides its content in a easy to digest visual style very much suited for novices, who just want to get to the coding parts. A very good choice for any aspiring web developer who's looking for a straight to the point, place to start
on June 28, 2014
This is a book primarily for beginning web designers and developers. I have been doing web design for quite a few years, and I just decided to pick this up so I will try and present my views in a manner that will help out anyone deciding whether or not to buy this. I mainly bought it because it has an attractive design and it serves as a great paper reference for when I am working on my own projects.

Pros:
Great intro to web development
Thoroughly explained with examples at end of each chapter
Clear and concise layout
Nice for referencing (even for seasoned web devs)
Taught me some new tricks

Cons:
umm...well if you aren't looking to learn web design or development from a paper book then I suppose you could save the 20 bucks
on January 15, 2014
It isn't the most detailed book but that's no surprise considering how many pictures there are. I'm used to textbooks being way more text heavy. The C++ book I bought is over a 1000 pages and it's almost all text. That would be way more detailed but a lot more daunting to go through. This is nice as an introduction. It is very nicely laid out and the visuals definitely help in learning. One would probably want a more detailed book later but this is perfect for hobbyist or someone trying to get the basics. What makes it great is the amount of visuals but smaller amount of text to explain things does take away from it's capability to be detailed.
on December 17, 2014
This is a really creative book, as it should be because it's about front end web development. It's a great book to look at. Really well designed, and looks well . . . beautiful. It's not all just looks though, it explains everything very well, and works for the beginners to more advanced HTML and CSS coders.

I highly recommend this book. If you are getting it for a class, you'll probably keep it. If your getting it to just learn, you've made a great choice!
on February 22, 2015
Really good book. Everything a beginner needs to know. The only thing is that it's a bit outdated (consideing it's from 2011) but other than that you will learn a lot from it. It's very easy to read and you don't need to have any experience in html to understand the concepts of the book. If you want to learn how to create websites with articles, images, videos and how you can customize them this is the book for you.
on March 1, 2013
I'm a student and this was one of the required textbooks for a class I'm taking. When I am finished with a class, I make a hard decision whether I want to sell the book back to Amazon or keep it for myself as a reference guide.

This book as taken that choice away from me.

It's a very well written book that explains very clearly everything that one might want to know about pure HTML and CSS (including the newer HTML5 and a few CSS3 tricks). I imagine the book would be phenomenally useful for someone just starting out with this sort of thing, but most of the information in this book is nothing new to me. So I thought I would sell it back when the semester was over.

The book's binding is awful though. The very first (read: FIRST) time I opened to the center of the book, the binding split away from the pages immediately. A few pages have actually fallen out completely because of this. If I were to sell it back to Amazon, they'd just send me the book back with a handwritten note that says "Haha, yeah right..."

Good Points:
- very well written and easily understood concepts
- wonderful descriptive examples of all things covered
- the last two chapters alone make this book worth the price (focus on web design instead of boring ol' HTML tags)
- bright and vibrant colors used in the book to sustain reader interest

Bad:
- the book falls apart
- ... apart!

Addendum: Note that this book is below $20.00 (at the time of writing this review), so it's hard to really bash a book like this. Yet at the same time, I would expect it to at least hold together for a few weeks before coming apart.

Second edit: I just now noticed how many stars I gave this product. I mistakenly gave it 3 though it at least deserves 4. Binding sucks, but the content is remarkable.
on March 21, 2014
This book is truly a different experience when you are used to technical books being either dull/lifeless or shallow/useless. Each page is a sight to behold, yet the material is quite in depth (for a beginner book). I have only read the first few chapters (thus 4 stars for now), but I find myself flipping through the book just to look at the beautiful pages. I did not plan on buying this book, but I saw it on the shelf at (brick & mortar store) and was so impressed by the quality that I bought it.

I am no web designer (I'm a computer engineer by trade), but I have recently been trying to get a grasp on networking and web servers for use in embedded systems. When you are working with minimal resources you need to have at least a general idea how the technologies higher up in the abstraction layer are working, and what features web designers might want. This is true when using a pre-made embedded server, and it is doubly true when rolling your own server.

I've been reading books on Ethernet, TCP/IP, HTTP, etc., and at first I was just going to get a basic understanding of html/css from another book I have a pdf of, but this book has me genuinely interested in the design/aesthetics side of things (who said engineer's can't have style, just look at LaTeX).

I never planned to go into this field of study before, but I'm considering pre-ordering this author's next book on JavaScript and JQuery to complete my knowledge. I'll attempt to remember to update my review when I've finished the book.
on October 2, 2013
I Like to compare this book to Alton Brown's show Good Eats. Jon Duckett starts each coding concept/technique with an easy to understand mile high explanation of the subject, explains why it's important, shows graphic examples of what you can do with it, THEN starts to get into the nitty-gritty of code. The coding examples always start small and gradually build in complexity in a way that makes sense. By the time you're finished with a chapter, you have a great understanding of multiple related concepts, how they work with each other, and how they work with the previous ideas from earlier in the book.

I'm not a programmer at all. My mind just doesn't work that way, so I'll never be able to write an amazing webpage by hand. However I can apply the knowledge I gained from this book to website builders like Wordpress and Squarespace and the results are empowering.
on February 1, 2013
I love how simple everything is laid out. It is really clean and easy to read, and looking things up is very simple. I have already used it so many times for reference, and it has helped a lot. It is the only book I've ever been required to get that I was actually kinda excited to buy, and plan on keeping after the classes I needed it for are over.
on August 26, 2013
Duckett sufficiently covers all the basics of both HTML and CSS, and manages to convey their interrelationship well enough. He also addresses the topics of Design and Layout in general, and how those subjects apply specifically to web design. (I should have read these later chapters first!) A discussion of HTML5 and CSS3 is included, with the author disclaiming genuinely that, at the time of writing, neither of those newer versions were finalized. Don't let that stop you from buying: newer version elements discussed in the book ARE in the finalized versions of both HTML5 & CSS3.

One real value lay in the downloadable code samples offered via the book's web site (for free, of course), and this beginner/reader found both the samples and the book indispensible. Also noteworthy are the many suggested web links sprinkled generously throughout where one may pick up WebDev tools virtually essential to the trade.

Concepts are very clearly explained, then demonstrated/displayed over gorgeous color pages that some reviewers have discounted, but that this user/reader found facilitating in conveying the info. The listing of all HTML/CSS elements/attributes on the back pages of the book(with referenced page numbers) is quite handy/useful. The index to the book, however, is somewhat lacking, and particularly spotty. The index listing on the word/phrase 'JavaScript', for instance, refers to perhaps only half of the actual references within the book's pages. But one gets over that, and is hardly a reason not to own this one.

Be advised, however, that - as the author claims - this book covers about 90% of everything HTML/CSS. It's not a reference, therefore, but is an excellent place to begin. This book is permanently in my lap when developing pages on the computer, and the only one upset about it is that stupid cat I love so much. BUY RECOMMENDATION.