5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the newbie!
Published on April 24, 2011 by revitus

3.0 out of 5 stars Has a lot of information, but a little bit too wordy.
It would be better if the author didn't go on and on with descriptions, and actually provided some examples and problems to work out, with answers at the back. We learn by doing! The book itself arrived in a timely manner and was in great condition.
Published 11 months ago by Rose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the newbie!, April 24, 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I knew nothing about html, css or anything else related to building websites before I bought this book. I needed to develop a custom website for my new small business, and didn't want to spend $2000+ for someone else to do it. Reading this book was (is) very enjoyable and formatted in a very easy-to-understand manner (and I don't really like reading books), and I was actually able to apply the information to real-world situations for building my first website and writing all of the code myself.

One of the best parts is how easy it is to use the TOC and index to re-reference topics when I need to insert new code of a specific topic. Plus, the included software / content on the CD-ROM is extremely helpful (Aptana is great!).

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to build a great foundation for developing websites by writing XHTML code. The Styling with CSS minibook helps you get the exact custom look for your website. I still have to delve into JavaScript and PHP to enhance my website's functionality to allow my visitors to download files, and I'm excited to keep learning from this wonderful book!

P.S. I ordered the book at 5:30 PM on a Thursday evening, and it arrived at my door on Friday afternoon just before noon (with standard shipping)! Thanks again for the great service, Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for someone new to web design, February 13, 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I was interested in web design and this book was easy to understand. It's a really thick book! This book has enough information to start a website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, January 5, 2011
JKL (Key West, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
Having decided to explore converting our printed books Key West and the Spanish American War,Key West; Images of the Past into ebooks, I needed to get a basic understanding of HTML, CSS, etc. so I would have some idea of what was involved. The books available seemed incomplete, going only so far before one would have to consult another one. Then Andy's book popped up! One of the biggest Dummies books ever, at over 1,000 pages, it covers the territory with great cross-references and index, just what I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide for Beginners and Great Refresher for the Exp., December 24, 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
It has been years since I've actually created and developed a website. In college my track was in web development, but I haven't really touched in 3 years. For those skeptical that they won't be able to make a web page, this book is definitely for you. This book breaks down how to build a web site step-by-step, from setting up your development environment to running it in your web browser. The only topic I could see that the book was missing, was how to exactly publish your page to the internet, but search the web and you can find your answers. Even as an "experienced" (cough) web developer this book was a great refresher course. This book will break down how to build a XHTML (1.0 strict) website which will be formatted using CSS and a touch of Javascript (client side programming) if needed. The section on JavaScript was a tad short, but it gives you an introduction on the subject and how to manipulate a client's browser using the DOM (document object model). You'll learn all this jargon and what it means in the book!

In the "2nd" part of the book, it touches more on the development aspect of web design. It will walk you through using PHP (Server Side Programming) to using a MySQL database to store all your information. One of the nicest things about this book is the author provides all the programs (or most) on the CD that he discusses in the book. Don't expect to build a website like Amazon.com off of this book, but it will give you the confidence and knowledge you will need to tackle larger projects and eventually work your way up to builder better websites.

I would like to add a word of caution, that if you're computer illiterate, this book is probably not for you. You will have to know how to install programs, use a web browser and navigate a computer. Other then that, this book will show you everything you need to know to get up and running. On another note, this book is huge, so it will take some reading time, but it's doable!

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy Kindle user, March 24, 2011
I revised this review February 7, 2012. I have amended my original rating of 3 stars all the way to 5. The companion CD issue has been completely resolved to my total satisfaction. Read my attached addendum below for a full explanation and useful directions to obtain the CD content.

Originally titled "Not Kind to the Kindle User"
I purchased this book as kind of an experiment. I wanted to see how I would like using it on a Kindle. As anyone who uses many reference books knows, they can be bulky and hard to manage. Having them on the Kindle seemed to be a good idea and it does take care of the bulky and hard to manage problem, but seeing the graphical figures has it's difficulties on a Kindle as they are kind of small and a bit out of focus. Also the paper version of this book comes with a companion CD which is not provided with the Kindle version, nor is there a site where one can download the CD's contents. The book is well written and full of good information as far as I can tell, but I feel ripped of concerning the lack of the CD. I tried resolving this by contacting Amazon, the publisher and the author. No help from anyone. Amazon did offer to remove the book from my Kindle and refund my money or send me the paper book and CD. I decided to muddle on as the author does tell you where you can download various free programs, etc. which he included on the CD, but this must be discovered as you you read through the book. I may just be being nit-picky, but I would have preferred to have been provide everything I thought I was paying for instead of being given extra work. My honest opinion is that neither the publisher or Amazon even considered the CD situation when publishing the Kindle version, so nothing was done to cover that issue. Next time if a CD is provided as part of the package for a reference book I probably will not purchase the Kindle version unless it is clearly stated that they have a suitable workaround for the Kindle customer.

2012-02-07
I had personal life stuff come up this past year and had to put my self education aside for a while. Now I'm back at it and I took another stab at getting the information I was missing from the companion CD. I'm happy to say that this has all been cleared up with the personal attention and help of the author, Andy Harris. My prior complain has been completely resolved and should not be a concern to anyone else wishing to purchase a Kindle version of this book. Andy Harris, the author, has done a fine job to make the CD content easily and conveniently available at his personal website at the following links. For the free software recommendations and corresponding links, you will find them well organized and easy to access at [...] The code and files the author references in the book can be found at [...] (HEADS UP! The similar link in Book-One Chapter 6 "Adding Images" has a type-O and is missing the under_bar ([...] it will not get you there.) Thanks to the coding samples provided at the second link, even as a Kindle book owner, I can happily work along with author as he expertly takes me through the process of professional website coding.

Do I sound happy? I am, and I have good reason to be. As I mentioned in my initial review this is a well written book sprinkled with humor which keeps it interesting and a pleasure to read. And it's on my kindle along with many other books. My sagging opinion of Kindle as a tool to organize my reference books has been bolstered. Now I can see a future that includes taking all those reference books with me where ever I go. Even the gigantic ones!

"Sir, Is that slender, light weight, carry on bag really full of books?
"Why yes, yes it is".

Additionally, I have downloaded the free Kindle app from Amazon for my computer, so I can switch willy-nilly to my laptop and enjoy reading this very same reference book in color while I follow along and work with the internet available code samples.

I should also mention that Andy Harris has written a number of other technology books covering web based coding, game programing etc., that I hope to read on my Kindle as my need arises. Ain't life grand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 16, 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
An excellent tutorial. If you want to learn how to create websites and really understand what's going on, read this book. You learn to code HTML, CSS, Javascript, Php, etc., by hand (it's not hard at all, especially if you have any programming experience), rather by using a point-and-click GUI tool. Nice thing is that you have full control over the final code. As such, you can validate it against published standards - which means the browser interpreting it doesn't have to guess what you intended the code to do. Why is this important? Just try validating almost any website out there (including this one) and just count the errors. Any site with less than 50 errors is one of the better ones. Amazing! Validated code yields better website performance!

I would recommend buying the O'Reilly pocket references for HTML, CSS, etc., to go with this book, as they cover all of the language command options in detail (something a tutorial just can't do well.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, December 9, 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I can't praise this web programming guide enough. I looked through a few options and chose this one because it looked serious enough but also accessible to the newcomer. Let me tell you, I can't imagine a better way to learn these technologies.

The explanations are concise, straightforward, practical, and thorough. The author takes great pains to uncover the reasoning behind the different coding strategies and manages to make sense of rather complex concepts. What might require an hour of aimless tinkering works instantly here, because he makes the extra effort to contextualize what he is saying. In that sense it reads like a narrative - you build off the previous work and reference back to previous concepts as you go along. I recommend reading from cover to cover unless you have a specialized need. There's a lot to keep you busy.

I actually found myself skipping ahead because I wanted to learn more; that's how engaging I found the author. Even if you don't care or know much about these technologies, I can see you diving into this book. It's really astounding.

The author also pays particular attention to web standards, accessibility, and open-source software, all of which are severely lacking in some "how-to" guides that try to sell you their propriety products. This book lays it all out very clearly without an agenda. It also considers people with screen readers and those browsing on smartphones. They're demographics you shouldn't forget about.

The book's scope is also a huge plus. It's a massive tome and takes the reader from the first written words (XHTML) and styling (CSS) to interactivity (Javascript) and dynamic page content (PHP) to databases (mySQL). Admittedly, this leaves gaps for some of the more detailed concepts within each subject. I didn't see a problem, though, as I was able to look up any extra information based on what I learned in the book.

This book will get you off the ground with a web site, and help you develop something really respectable. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has a lot of information, but a little bit too wordy., August 18, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, easy to read, April 9, 2012
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I understand the basics of creating web pages, but this book is AMAZING! The first couple of books are refreshers to me, but there was plenty to learn (I even picked up a few tips to add to what I already know). The other books, which I haven't read entirely, have been FULL of easy-to-read examples, and he explains everything in such a way that it makes sense to beginners or expands knowledge and proper technique for more advanced readers. If you're looking into furthering your knowledge on HTML, CSS, or starting to venture into the more scary stuff, this book is a great one to keep on the shelf. And don't let this book's size intimidate you; it reads quite easily and fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Info, Written in Plain English, March 1, 2012
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Paperback)
I am only on page 120 of this book and have already learned more from Andy Harris than I had after reading two other Dummies books by other others on this same subject.

I had always used MS Frontpage for building websites, but recently decided to get more serious about it and learn about HTML code. I purchased Adobe Dreamweaver thinking I could teach myself the program like I did with Frontpage, but quickly realized that I was going to have to learn HTML all the way through, and also CSS to be able to even use my new software.

I purchased two other Dummies books before this one and read them, only to end up discouraged that I didn't feel like I "got it". I felt like a lot of assumptions were made by the authors about things that beginners like me may know. Andy Harris covers EVERYTHING you need to know about building an HTML foundation, and explains in plain English all the "little things" that I think other authors tend to overlook. Also, he provides a CD with some useful tools and walks you through exercises step-by-step, so it's very much hands-on learning. This time I'm "getting it".

Another thing I like is Andy's belief that you don't need expensive software to build web pages; text editors, browsers, and image editing programs can all be obtained for free and really are all you need to start building web pages.

Oh, and he adds humor too, which I've always liked in Dummies books :-)

I am looking forward to the rest of this book, and I'll update my review at that time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies
HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies by Andrew Harris (Paperback - November 16, 2010)
Used & New from: $3.39