I checked my copy out of the library but I'll be buying one so I can finish the book. If you use this book as it is intended to be used, it is a fantastic workbook. If you need reference material, it has that too. It is methodically well organized. This is the first book that I've read by this author but I would love to see other titles.

The book starts off...
Published on February 21, 2012 by Whispering Willow

2.0 out of 5 stars HTML 5 STEP BY STEP
I was excited when I bought this book. But there is no logical sequence at all. The author doesn't follow an order. Instead the whole book is very unorganized. Very dissapointed!! If you are a beginner in the field of HTML. Just don't buy this book.
Published on December 13, 2011 by Oscar Mena

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Workbook Approach -- Step by Step -- Good for Beginner to Advance, February 21, 2012
This review is from: HTML5 in Easy Steps (Paperback)

The book starts off with the most basic basics like who is W3 and what does HTML do. It moves quickly into setting up a simple HTML file, then a CSS file, and then a javascript file. If you don't understand how to create a text file, it has just enough information on that and a link for a nice free editor. And, it explains why you don't use the Microsoft one. There is always enough information to move forward, some links to explore more on a topic, and no clutter cutesy nonsense. Pay attention to the special notes areas because they are valuable.

The pattern of the book is read, do exercise, and then compare your results to what you should see. If you work through the book, you are gradually drawn into more complex activities but it is always a continuous thread. There are plenty of charts to use as reference including some extremely good ones that I want to keep from the start of the book and one of the appendix. To help bridge between HTML4 and HTML5, the writer explains what was done in HTML4, specifically how it is different in HTML5, and if or if not the old way will still work. The simple technical explanations are some of the best I have read. They are clear and precise without any of the circular explanations that are often written by those who don't actually know what they are talking about.

I mentioned the charts in the book but they are worth a double mention. They are well designed, easy to use, and clearly show what is new and required in HTML5. Even if you don't work through the book, copying the charts and adding them to your reference material would be smart.

Finally, you can speed past the parts that you don't need easily but still benefit from the details about HTML5 and its new elements and their attributes. However, the exercises are fast and focused, so even working through the full book isn't that time consuming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand HTML5 within a day or two, March 28, 2014
This review is from: HTML5 in Easy Steps (Paperback)
This is simply the best introduction to HTML 5 in the market in my opinion.

Pros:
- Step by step visual explanation of the crucial elements that make up HTML5
- Straight to the point without making the book too thick when you just need the essentials to start building webpages instantly
- Good sequential flow of the concepts
- Full colour format makes it interesting

Cons:
- None!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, July 9, 2013
This review is from: HTML5 in Easy Steps (Paperback)
I got several reference books on HTML but this one has unique presentation.
It's in colorful format easy to follow.

Most of all the reason why I purchase this book the tips not found in my other books.
I did find it here. The price I paid already saved me time on my projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for HTML 5, March 26, 2012
This book cover many new HTML 5 features and has alot of colorful pages that cover all the things you need to know about HTML 5 new feature. which make web developers excited to read this book. And html 5 code are more simple to understand with a lot of new graphs features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginning HTML 5, April 8, 2014
Good Book.
It is a good book for beginners.
Also it is a good book for html 5 new reference.
Easy to read, easy to understand.
This book will not age until like 2017 or 2018.
But then you should buy a new edition of this same book.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTML5 is kind of a crap language, and of course Java and C++ and ..., October 7, 2014
This review is from: HTML5 in Easy Steps (Paperback)
HTML5 is kind of a crap language, and of course Java and C++ and c is better. After I finish Java, I will learn this quickly. This book is more than adequate to learn this simple 'language', and though the c, C++, and Java books by the author are too superficial, they are excellent reference books for syntax. This subject is easy enough where no further books are needed. The seller got it to me immediately, though, I will learn it after I learn Java, as it should then be much easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new facility, July 23, 2013
This review is from: HTML5 in Easy Steps (Paperback)
Only completed the first few chapter.
Looks like it has great potential.
A few worked examples would be a great help

2.0 out of 5 stars HTML 5 STEP BY STEP, December 13, 2011

HTML5 in Easy Steps
HTML5 in Easy Steps by Mike McGrath (Paperback - May 31, 2011)
$14.99 $10.53