5.0 out of 5 stars Great product/customer support
I ordered this for the obvious reason to save water. As a male gets older, he needs to do the "liquid" flush more often.
Published on October 9, 2009 by N. Morton

UPDATE (Dec 2011):
At Home Depot today I saw an end cap with an infomercial running about this gizmo. However, I took one out of the box, and I was so disappointed to see the same darn paper-thin gasket that I (and many others) have reported to them over the past 2 years. Additionally, the Home Depot staff said they get a lot of returns on this item.

This...
Published on October 1, 2010 by Mad Max

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea - with two BIG problems for common toilets. A response (with fixes) to the complaints..., October 1, 2010
This review is from: HYR270 HydroRight Drop-in Dual Flush Converter (Tools & Home Improvement)
UPDATE (Dec 2011):

This company knows that their gasket is too thin, causes leaks, and that including a higher grade gasket would cost them very little (approx 20˘ per unit). Somehow they can find the budget to launch a Home Depot marketing campaign & produce a new infomercial, but can't spend an extra 20˘ per product to prevent the headaches they're causing.

I'll add that my fixes work, but the silicone seal is NOT a permanent solution (already had to replace it once). If this gizmo is not ready to use out-of-the-box, and requires annual or semi-annual maintenance, it is NOT ready for the market. If you want a dual flush, you can get a brand new dual-flush toilet for under $100.

Original Review:
======
Ok, I also had two problems when installing this, and I have fixes for the 30+ people who have complained about similar install problems (same root problem in almost every instance). I predict that for MOST people, this dual flush device will not be an "out-of-the box" solution - you will need some troubleshooting not included in the instructions.

But I also predict that because of bad installs, some folks here (not realizing it yet) will have running toilets, or will actually use MORE water on the low-flush feature than they did before! Unless you measure it like I did, you'll never know. This is a SERIOUS problem this company needs to address, costing lots of money and wasted water - and homeowners may never even know it!

I feel ~really~ bad for the folks who spent hours & hours wrestling with this device, but I promise these 5-minute fixes will work. I wholeheartedly agree that there are design flaws here, but finding a workaround saved me the hassle of returning it & messing around with another brand (and probably an entirely new set of problems).

I'm going to stress - you CAN get this to work with your older toilet, and you do NOT need the HydroClean (or any other) device to make this work. I like the HydroClean unit, but IT IS NOT NECESSARY to install your dual flush converter.

FIRST: THE LOW-FLUSH FEATURE ISN'T WORKING FOR YOU

Again, I totally agree - the instructions aren't clear. I had to try 20-30 flushes before my "Ah-ha" moment.

If your low-flush doesn't work, 99% chance the problem is water level is too low. It's not getting enough water to flush. Do NOT hold down the flush button to get this to work - if you have to do that, it that means you're using more water than before! And do NOT flush twice To "fix" the problem - just read on...

Solution (bottom line): You need to set the float level for the low-flush (the blue tab) 1/2" BELOW where you want the water line (yes, below). Then, the water line has to be about 2" ABOVE the float, so it can use roughly 2" of water on a low flush. I know it sounds odd, but try a flush - if it doesn't work, keep adjusting the low-flush water level up a notch. I PROMISE - this will work.

I know it sounds backwards - but to save water you will need to keep MORE water in your tank. The water is not actually used each flush - it just needs 1.5" to 2", which should translate to .6 gallons or less. (My low-flush setting uses .4 gallons, which is efficient and also 33% less water than national standards for even a urinal).

If you have a HydroClean installed, it may actually be getting in your way. So set the float/fill level to the near maximum setting. With my HydroClean, my previous setting was about 1.1 gallons with my toilet (I thought I was saving water this way). But with the dual converter installed, I had to add nearly 50% more water to the tank - so that the low-flush feature can work right.

Now my main flush uses 1.2 gals (about 25% less water than national standards), and my low-flush works great too.

SECOND: YOUR TOILET IS RUNNING

Some people may not even realize that their new dual flush converter is running. A running toilet will definitely waste more water than it saves - possibly wasting hundreds or thousands of gallons a month!!!

The problem is the blue "silicone" flapper gasket is CHEAP thin rubber. If it's not perfectly straight, the rubber will fold or ripple & allow water to seep into the tank. Frankly, I would suspect 75% of all users will immediately or eventually experience this. It's a bad design, almost a defect (it needs to be larger & sturdier).

I had to refit this 3 or 4 times, but the problem is, once the entire dual-flush contraption is fully installed, you can't see the blue gasket to confirm it makes a good seal. You MUST listen to the toilet a few hours after install, to see if it runs (or add a blue cleaning disc or some food coloring to your tank, then check the color of the bowl later). This can waste 10-100 gallons per DAY (yes, up to 100 gallons) - so if your goal in using the dual flush is to save water, think twice.

Solution (bottom line): You will most likely need to seal it with a waterproof silicone sealant or high-grade waterproof caulk.

A third potential problem is replacing your flush handle with the new dual-flush "button". If your handle is off to the side of your toilet tank, if you have a triangle-shaped toilet, or if your toilet is right against the wall, then you (or your guests) won't be able to see which button to push.

I give this 5 stars for ingenuity, but 1 star for major design flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product/customer support, October 9, 2009
It's important to heed what they say for tank clearance...ours barely made it! But with EXCELLENT customer support, (I was able to speak to the inventor himself), they were able to walk me through the adjustments.....Problem is, it didn't work on the small flush....my old water valve would not allow the tank to fill enough to do the job. I was advised to order their HydroClean water valve ($9.00+s & h), which is adjustable, so you can raise the level of the water in the tank to work the short flush.....this means you'll use a little more water on the long flush, but most of us don't use that that often. I only ordered one of the water valves because I wanted to make sure it would all work.....and IT REALLY DOES!!!!
The bottom line here is that, with their customer support (who all spoke perfect English, located in Illinois) were so great and helped me work through the problems. I installed the HydroRight on both toilets and have a HydrClean on order for the 2nd one.
I highly recommend the product.
PS. The people that wrote about their problems, most likely did not let the product support people help them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great but proper setup is key..., October 19, 2010
Just completed installation of the HydroRight Dual Flush Converter and here is what I learned. Despite the time honored belief that "real men don't read instructions..." read and understand the instructions before you start.

Installation:
If you have reasonable mechanical aptitude and can follow sequential directions the install is fairly straight forward. One of the most important starting tips to perform (before you do anything else) is take a pencil and mark the water line in the bowl. Simple, but a lot of people will overlook this and create unnecessary grief for themselves.

Also, take note of when your toilet was built. Just about every toilet has a date stamp under the tank lid or within the tank. Sounds simple but most won't even know which they own, a 1.6gpf or 3.0gpf toilet. Figure out what you have before you even think of starting. If your toilet is pre-1994 it mostly likely is 3.0gpf (gallons per flush) if it's post-1994 it most likely is 1.6gpf. Then just follow the included directions in the package or go to the company website.

Setup:
After completing the installation is where a number of people also stumble, become frustrated and give up because they didn't fully understanding the instructions. If you keep the following points in mind and take the time to think things through you will save yourself aggravation, time and water.

1. Removing the HydroRight upper housing is simple and can be done at any time. If you've already installed the device, just turn off the water supply to the tank, flush the toilet and unscrew the upper housing about 1/2 turn (clockwise or counter-clockwise). When the 2 opposite tabs line up with their mating slots it disassembles. Check the upper housing and look for the (small) Green Slide flush adjustment (near base of housing). If your toilet is pre-1994 and is 3.0gpf, make sure the Green Slide is all the way down. If it is 1.6gpf, start with it in the opposite direction (all the way up). See the "water saving tips for 1.6gpf toilets" in the Tips and Tricks section for more details on setup for this size.

2. The larger Blue Slide float is critical for fine tuning the device. After you reassemble the housing, allow the tank to fill with water until it is at least 1/2" (inch) above the top of the Blue Float. Drop a single sheet of toilet paper into the bowl and press and release the upper Quick Flush button (don't hold button in).

3. Remember the pencil mark mentioned at the start? Each time you flush you are trying to keep the water level in the bowl as close to that pencil mark as possible. If the water bowl level is below the line, press the Blue Float down one click stop and try again.

4. If the paper does not consistently flush after about 2-3 attempts, press the Blue Float down an additional click stop and flush once more. Repeat the process if necessary and over the course of several flushes you should be at or near that pencil line. When you consistently flush a single sheet of "TP" (about 4 or more consecutive times) using only the top Quick Flush button, you're dialed in.

5. If you encounter incomplete flushes, repeat step 4. It's not unusual to press the Blue Float down 6-10 notches before achieving the right setting (it depends on your particular toilet, they're all different). Important, don't press the Blue Float more than 1 click stop at a time or you will overshoot the threshold at where you consume the least amount of water to complete the flush. Remember, when using the upper Quick Flush button (liquid waste) you are calibrating the device for minimum water consumption. The lower (solid waste) button will take care of itself using the full tank of water and doesn't require any calibration.

6. Don't waste time and water by playing with settings you don't understand. If you get stuck and are ready to beat your head (or someone) against the wall, remember this:
"Green Slide Down = More Water Out of Tank. Green Slide Up = Less Water Out"
"Blue Float Down = More Water Out of Tank. Blue Float Up = Less Water Out"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, easy install, September 23, 2009
I did not pay attention to this detail: the HydroRight Dual Flush is not compatible with ballcock valves, so I had to replace the valve first (paid another $12 for each replacement, but it was my fault anyway). I bought two units for testing, replacing the master bath first, which I did in about 20 minutes, including replacing the ballcock valve, no big deal. Adjustments were simple and quick. When I installed the second unit in another bathroom, I noticed the tank was leaking water slowly through the overflow tube, something I had not noticed when the original ballcock was in. It took me a while, but I was able to track the problem down to a crack at the bottom of the overflow tube, which I had to replace, but the problem was completely solved. Thanks to this decision to 'go green', my water savings will be even better than I had originally anticipated. Now I am buying another one for the last toilet at the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, works just as stated, September 9, 2009
Andy Shapiro (Santa Barbara, CA.) - See all my reviews
We installed our HydroRight DualFlush in about 15 minutes: 10 minutes reading plus 5 minutes for the install! It has been in operation for about 2 days now and it works great. It does exactly what it says it does. It is quite evident that we will save gallons of water every month with this device. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing Information, February 28, 2010
Product works absolutely fabulously, if you don't already have a 1.6 gpf or less toilet already. Product website and amazon specs page fail to mention that this product is only going to reduce your gpf if you have an VERY old toilet or one that uses more than 1.6 gpf. If you do have a 1.6 gpf toilet, it will use exactly the same amount of water for the #1 flush; however, the #2 flush actually uses more water than your regular flapper in your 1.6 gpf toilet.

So, all in all, its a great concept that would work great for anyone with an older model toilet. The installation was extremely easy and the qaulity of the product materials were great. It seems like it would last forever and needs no maintenece. Overall great product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea. Implementation--not to great., April 26, 2010
R. Oliver "robo" (Cary, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I saw this product featured on the Today Show web site, thought it was a great idea, and purchased the HYR270 HydroRight Dual Flush Converter as well as the HC660 HydroClean Water-Saving Toilet Fill Valve together for my 1.6 gallon tank toilet.

Installation of the Hydroclean was straight forward. I had no problems replacing my old ballcock filling device with the HyrdoClean unit, and was able to adjust the fill rate per instructions. Installation of the HydroRight Dual Flush Converter was even easier. It slipped on to the fill tube just as advertised, and I have to say it is well constructed.

Unfortunately, that's about where things started to break down. I followed the instructions for calibrating the Dual Flush Converter to the letter (and even improvised a bit) but I could never really get it right. I don't know if it was my toilet tanks size or something else--all I can say is that I wasted a lot of water trying to make it work. At first, I was running into an issue someone else (with a larger tank) also noticed--with consecutive "half" flushes, every other flush leaves the bowl nearly empty. The next flush doesn't properly flush (because only enough water is released to fill the bowl) leaving behind... well, you know. With the bowl now filled, the next "half" flush actually flushes, but leaves the bowl empty again. And the cycle repeats.

I figured out that the issue I was seeing probably involved the interaction between the HydroClean fill valve calibration and the HydroRight Dual Flush calibration. With the HyrdoClean fill valve adjusted to fill the bowl for full flushes without spillover, it doesn't fill the bowl fast enough for "half" flushes. The instructions say that in a situation like this, you may have to increase the flow rate to the bowl. I wasn't crazy about that because it essentially negates the "water saving" benefit of the HydroClean fill valve for "full" flushes.

The other problem I noticed was the the button replacing the flush handle actually hides behind the toilet seat cover when the cover is in the upright position. Not that convenient.

My co-worker was really interested in seeing how all this was going to play out on my toilet before he got one. In the end I decided to keep the HydroClean fill valve and gave him the HyrdoRight Dual Flush Converter. He just gave it back to me today and with a single word remark: "FAIL!"

I really like the HC660 HydroClean Fill Valve as a water saving device, but apparently I can't even give the HydroRight Dual Flush Converter away.

1.0 out of 5 stars dilute or flush, July 5, 2010
Received this as a bonus credit card points offer. Saw it on This Old House and with the credit card offer got one. While waiting for it to arrive read the reviews on Amazon. Turns out Amazon was the supplier.

The unit is well built and installs easily and the dual flush buttons operate easily.

But then the problem comes up. It just doesn't work well with the low volume flush. And that was with the adjustment at max for the liquid flush. About all we could get from it was a bowl dilute. Most of the liquid flushes ended up with us holding the button in until a whirlpool action started. But that is almost a full flush.

And to add to its negative points, the replacement flapper seal doesn't seal well. I heard it refilling several times during the week I left it installed. Today after hearing it refill by itself decided it was time to go back to the old handle & flapper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me, October 14, 2009
R. Miller (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Had high hopes for these units. Easy to install, but even when I put the single flush setting to its maximun, the unit would not flush enough water to clear urine from the bowl. If it had more extensive flushing adjustment, it would probably be fine. The flushing knob was also a bit on the cheesy side - plastic rather than metal. Vendor was very good about accepting the returned units though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Won't fit all toilets, October 3, 2010
Product looks great and "convert any size toilet". Unless you have a 3" flapper valve rather that a 2" or 2.5". It says that in the Troubleshooting FAQ's, but not in the marketing material. Some of the NEW toilets have the 3" valve, and you will never know unless you try to install, or read this review and measure before you buy.

HYR270 HydroRight Drop-in Dual Flush Converter