From the Inside Flap
"Surprisingly complete. I have found this book to be quite useful and a great time-saver. There is nothing more irritating than thrashing in a search engine trying to remember some obscure tool or an obscure tool's obscure feature. A great reference for the working security consultant."
- Simple Nomad - Renowned Security Researcher and Author of The Hack FAQ
"While a little knowledge can be dangerous, no knowledge can be deadly. HackNotes: Network Security Portable Reference covers an immense amount of information readily available that is required for network and system administrators, who need the information quickly and concisely. This book is a must-have reference manual for any administrator."
- Ira Winkler - Chief Security Strategist at HP, security keynote speaker and panelist
"HackNotes puts readers in the attacker's shoes, perhaps a little too close. Security pros will find this reference a quick and easily digestible explanation of common vulnerabilities and how hackers exploit them. The step-by-step guides are almost too good and could be dangerous in the wrong hands. But for those wearing white hats, HackNotes is a great starting point for understanding how attackers enumerate, attack and escalate their digital intrusions."
- Lawrence M. Walsh - Managing Editor, Information Security Magazine
"A comprehensive security cheat sheet for those short on time. This book is ideal for the consultant on a customer site in need of a robust reference manual in a concise and easy to parse format."
- Mike Schiffman - CISSP, Researcher, Critical Infrastructure Assurance Group, Cisco Systems, creator of the Firewalk tool and author of Hacker's Challenge 1 & 2
"Heavy firepower for light infantry; Hack Notes delivers critical network security data where you need it most, in the field."
- Erik Pace Birkholz - Principal Consultant, Foundstone, and Author of Special Ops: Host and Network Security for Microsoft, UNIX, and Oracle.
From the Back Cover
HackNotes Network Security Portable Reference gives you step-by-step details of intrusion tactics, tools, and actual techniques being used by hackers and criminals today to break into computer networks. Understand how the attacks work, then learn how to assess and strengthen your systems through a series of tested and trusted anti-hacking methods, bulletproof best practices, and code level techniques. Use the unique Reference Center in the middle of the book to access key information, including default passwords, common port numbers, system commands, reference links, the top security assessment and hacker tools, and more.
- Use information security and risk assessment principles
- Guard against common network threats and vulnerabilities
- Understand hacker tactics and methods seen on the Internet and intranet
- Protect common hacker and criminal targets
- Conduct best practice security checks and hardening steps for your systems
- Implement wireless security, Web application security, incident response, and more
- Reference operating system and security specific commands
- Access and utilize the best security and hacker tools in use today
- Focus on the techniques, results, and remediation for a wide range of exploits
- Protect networks, software code, e-commerce, and more