Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 23, 2010
The intended audience
In the preface of the book it is stated that the intended audience of the book is intermediate to experienced Vim users and considering the subtitle "Ready-to-use hacks with solutions for common situations encountered by users of the Vim editor" I was lead to believe is a book for those that had been around block and need hands-on examples of production boosters. In my mind I expected it to be a kind of cookbook with small recipes for distinct problems. This is most likely because I have just read the excellent "PHP phrasebook" by Christian Wenz and "Python Phrasebook" by Brad Dayley which both does a great job in this genre of ready-to-use books oriented to more experienced users. The reason I find these books so great are that they acknowledge that the reader is intermediate to experienced and heads straight for the recipes leaving the basics behind. After having read "Having Vim 7.2' I am not as convinced that "Hacking Vim 7.2' succeeded as well in this genre as it dwells too much at the basics in my opinion, but I will return to this later.

A short review of the chapters
The first chapter starts of with a historical insight to Vim and while this can be interesting it seems a bit out of focus for this "ready-to-use hacks with solutions" book. I did not really feel very exited after having read this chapter, but luckily this was followed by the excellent second chapter "Personalizing Vim". This second chapter dives head first into actual Vim hacking with a bunch of well described small hacks to the standard setup including color highlighting, gvim menu hacking and font changing. This chapter definitely fulfilled my expectation to what this a book like this should be, despite the fact that it dealt a little more with the graphical gvim than I am interested in.

The third chapter is called "Better navigation" and while it contained some useful bits, it also went unnecessary details with very basic elements already covered by vimtutor, which I assume that all "intermediate to experienced" users would be familiar with. This is quite vivid in example 1: "Finding the next occurrences of a word" where a full page is used on describing the standard search function. The chapter does however cover most subjects to be expected in a navigation chapter, so for the users who are completely new to Vim navigation it is a good introduction, but it reminds more of a introductory textbook than a "ready-to-use- hacks" book.

Chapter four: "Production boosters" was the chapter I had been looking the most forward to reading after having seen the table of contents. The chapter contains a number of hacks that I found quite useful, such as a excellent walk through example of the usage of omnicompletion: The author goes into details with a real life scenario and uses a function written in vim to accomplish the text editing and I learn alot from reading it. Another example is the coverage of the netrw feature in Vim which enables editing files directly over ssh or ftp. Personally this is how I prefer a book like this to be - inspiring me to try out new hacks own my own.

The fifth chapter goes through formatting of both code and text in various ways and although it had some useful tips there wasn't really something I was very exited about. The sixth chapter about basic vim scripting was really surprisingly basic. The chapter is a very basic introduction to scripting and anyone with a background in any programming language would for instance not find the sections on "for loops" or "while loops" terrible interesting. At this point in the book I again got a bit confused about the intended audience: On one hand this is a great slow introduction to scripting and general programming, but when considering the subtitle of the book I would have expected a more direct approach with examples of useful scripts and tips to hack these.

The final and seventh chapter extends the scripting basics with what I believe was a more appropriate level for the claimed level of the reader. Here good practices and debugging of scripts is described, as wells as short descriptions on how to script in external languages such python, perl and ruby.

In line with the style of the first chapter appendix A does not really cover any ready-to-use hacks, but is instead more a list of what I would call fun-facts. I did not know that you could play Nibbles, Sokoban or Tetris inside Vim, but on the other hand I didn't really care either. The most interesting section in this appendix covered using Vim as an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), but most of the tips were quite shallow as they deferred actual usage instructions to online sources and scripts. The final appendix called "Vim configuration alternatives" is quite good, but should perhaps have been included in the second chapter as it is quite short, but very relevant.

The layout
My overall impression is that the layout leaves some room for improvement. Often examples start in the middle of the text and there is no typographical indicators showing that a example is starting. This makes the book hard to use as a reference, since I often look for the examples when I need implement a hack. Furthermore, there is a number of small tips boxes spread out through the book, but they do not have titles and this makes it more tedious to find that special box with the good tip without reading through them all. Finally the book is available both in a ebook and a printed version, but the printed book is in black and white, which makes the color screenshots on page 142 and the syntax highlighted script on page 193 a bit hard to comprehend.

Final verdict
As the reader might have figured by now I am not completely thrilled about this book. I think it at times misses the intended audience and prioritize some less important element of Vim on behalf of more ready-to-use hacks. I would have loved if the pages spent on games within Vim was instead used on covering Vim as an IDE in detail or perhaps skipping the very basic scripting elements in chapter six in favor of a section on the LaTeX-suite for Vim. In summary: I could have imagined this book be more concise, but I do appreciate the good chapters as "4. Production boosters" or "2. Personalizing Vim" - both have undoubtedly made me a better Vim user.
on June 14, 2010
Vim has the potential to dramatically increase a programmer's productivity if you have the time and wherewithal to learn it. And it is a challenge to learn because it is unlike any other text editor (leaving aside other vi clones). It takes work not only to learn the editor's features and commands, but also to train yourself to use them effectively. Even experienced vim users will discover new, exciting features from time to time. And that is what makes Hacking Vim a real treat. It takes you on a brief tour of some of the coolest features of vim without getting bogged down in any one of them.

Hacking Vim bills itself as a recipe book. While it provides quite a few good ones, it seems to be organized more like a tutorial, using the examples to walk through some of the cooler features of vim. That said, the recipes it provides are very useful and a good number have made it into my ~/.vimrc.

I found some examples to be overly contrived. The author could have done a better job relating samples to real-world situations. I also wish it had gone into more depth when explaining some examples early on. If you don't skip ahead and read the section on vim scripting (or know it already), there are a few traps in the examples.

For all that, though, my now heavily dog-eared and ruffled copy was well worth the money. Like other books from the same publisher, Hacking Vim stays on subject, maintaining its focus and pragmatism. Definitely a good source of worthwhile tips.
on January 21, 2013
With a title like "Hacking Vim," I though the book might contain more material about somewhat obscure vim scripting. The book does contain a somewhat cursory chapter on such, but also contains a rather extensive discussion of setting up the status bar, taking care of tabs versus spaces, and so on. All useful, I suppose, but those topics are easily (and briefly) covered on the web. Vim's user base is not Notepad's, and I continue to look for a book with good coverage of Vim scripting.
on July 29, 2013
I have been using vim for about 3 years, and found that this text offered me many new things, but nothing that blew my mind. The lack of 'blow your mind' vim tricks is made worse by the many small errors in the text. I cannot recommend it.
on June 19, 2010
This book is filled with a variety of useful explanations and helpful tips for Vim users wanting to improve their efficiency and learn more about their editor. While I've enjoyed finding new and better ways to use Vim for some time, I still learned quite a lot from this book.

If you use Vim only to edit text files when you happen to be logged into a CLI: mosey on along, this isn't the book for you. If you currently use Vim regularly and want to improve your knowledge and effectiveness with it: your time reading this book will be well-spent. If you've somehow never heard of Vim but are enraptured by the idea of a text editor that can be an effective IDE in addition to allowing you to play Tetris and Rubik's Cube: you might like this book too.

All in all this was a very useful treasure trove of tips. Some I've already added to my repertoire, and more I'm trying to understand better. In fact, I learned so much from it that I decided I will likely need to drop most of my current Vim config and remake it cleanly. I know I'm not alone in collecting bits and pieces of configuration for this wonderful editor, in a fashion occasionally reminiscent of a deranged hermit crab. Now that I have a more solid understanding I can rebuild it quickly and effectively.
-----
For my full review, please visit my blog: [...]
on December 12, 2013
I love it because it presents tons of VIM material in a well-constructed sequence.
Long time user of vi, I wanted all of the plugins and code refactoring tools.
I am hip-deep in VIM documentation extracted from the Web,
but my go-to book is Hacking Vim 7.2.

I'm really having a hard time grasping the negative comments here.
Well done, Kim ... well done.

ps., I was able to preview the book on Safari, so I knew what I was buying and wanted my own copy.
I justify book purchases by what I pay myself per hour ... easily recovered the book cost in less than a day;
it saved me a ton of google time. I'm starting with Vim 7.4.
on April 6, 2016
A lot of cool stuff here....but a lot of typos! There are numerous spots where the code and instructions that the author wrote will not actually work in vim.
on October 9, 2014