5.0 out of 5 stars A good shirt!
Haggar has this weird reputation, at least in my circle. It's kind of viewed as, well, something your grandfather buys from JC Penney. But this shirt has pretty well rebutted that view.

Published 1 month ago by J. Tant

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made & nicely packaged
Published 12 days ago by iGertrude

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A good shirt!, August 19, 2014
J. Tant (Under the cultural penumbra of Washington DC) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The shirt itself has features that you typically find on more expensive shirts. You have a horizontal bottom button that also has a contrasting button hole thread. Removable collar stays are included and appreciated.

You get, and this was surprising to me, gussets! Gussets are little pieces of fabric, triangular shaped, that are sewn into the spot on the shirt where the side seam meets the hem. This is where most tears happen, but a gusset protects it and keeps it from ripping. Lower-cost shirts don't typically include gussets because they are a pain in the butt to put in, but Haggar has really gone the extra mile here.

The collar has good structure and gives the shirt an overall crisp appearance. It has a fairly stiff feel to it and looks like it will hold up over time. The collar does have some interlining going on, which is a good thing (interlining is an extra piece of fabric sewn into the collar to help it stay crisp and adds durability). Cuffs are rounded (not barrel, since there are no sharp edges), and there is no shirt pocket (which I like, since I think shirt pockets tend to distract and make the shirt look less crisp). There doesn't appear to be interlining in the cuffs, but that's a fairly rare thing anyway and no marks off for it.

Fit is as expected. A little disgression here - products from different clothing manufacturers tend to fit differently, so when trying on a shirt from a label you've not worn before, it's a good thing to try different sizes. In the case of this shirt, I think the armholes are raised a little in order to keep the shirt from being too restrictive, but the net effect is to also shorten the effective length of the sleeve (the length of the sleeve starts a bit higher on the shoulder). I have no issue with sleeve length on this shirt (and I'm a fairly standard-sized guy), but if you're used to having cuffs that come further down on your arm you may want to order a slightly longer sleeve.

The material is of good quality, and the pattern is versatile (the slate blue striped). It can dress up a pair of jeans just as easily as it will work with a gray or navy suit. Quite frankly, I was surprised at the quality of construction and materials of this shirt. It's not my grandfather's shirt any longer - it's mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made & nicely packaged, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice shirt. This has narrow blue stripes on a whitish background. However, the color background is too light to wear this shirt without a t-shirt under it. That always seems problematic to me as my teenager's white t-shirts always somehow turn tie-dyed. The sleeve length on this is accurate and amazing. My teenager has a hard time finding shirts that really have long enough sleeves. He doesn’t care much about the neck, as long as it doesn’t choke him. If you can’t put your hand in it, it is a chokehold, according to him and he can even prove it by choking until he falls over. Such a drama q- I mean, cute kid.

I love how these shirts are now packaged. I have had no end of grief trying to unfold dress shirts from their pin-cushioned chasms of misery and blood-splatter. But no more! There were 3 paperclip-like clips on this shirt. It was amazing.

Aside from the philosophical question if they used to put the million pins in a shirt before to test human endurance or just for fun, is the question of why they didn’t change this sooner. I’m just glad they finally did.

2.0 out of 5 stars See Through, September 16, 2014
John Petralia (Fort Myers, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The shirt has a conservative style and fuller cut that I really like. And, while the collar fits perfectly, I found the sleeves to be annoyingly short and the cuffs way too tight. The thing that bothered me the most however, was the fabric; it is stiff and really thin. I wore the shirt once with jeans and a sweater. Although it's cut as a dress shirt, I'd never wear such a "see through" fabric with a suit and tie. Disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light Weight Summer Shirt, September 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Haggar Shirt is nicely sewn with some details in the seams that you don't often see in shirts in this price range.

DETAILS
► The color in the picture is pretty accurate. The background is white and the stripes are dark blue.
► Not a button-down collar
► The Poplin material is very light weight and something I think a lot of men would want to wear a t-shirt under

► One of the most important details I'll note is that the shirt shrank after I washed it. I had my husband put it on when it first arrived and the shirt fit perfectly in the sleeves, but was a little large throughout the body. After washing the sleeves were a tiny bit shorter, and the body of the shirt was smaller. If it shrinks any more I doubt it will be comfortable through the shoulders.

► The shirt came out of the dryer looking pretty nice. If you were going to go to the grocery store you could just throw it on and go. HOWEVER, it would need ironing and a bit of light starch for the office. No severe wrinkles, but also not perfectly crisp --the way some LLBean shirts manage to come out of the dryer-- either.

SUMMARY
This is a nice shirt for the price. Things to keep in mind are that it's a light weight summery kind of fabric, and it doesn't have a button down collar.

The shirt fit my husband well when it arrived, but shrank in the wash to the point where it's slightly tight in the underarm area.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost fits., August 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm 6'4" and wear dress shirts on a semi-regular basis and take a 16 34/35. This shirt purports to be that, but like others have complained, is a good three inches too short in the sleeve. To make matters worse, the cuffs are so tight that you can barely fit a finger under it when it's riding up my forearms (which aren't especially large, nor do I have big wrists). My hands barely fit through the cuff when it's buttoned at largest opening on the cuffs. Given the usual quality of Haggar clothing, I wonder if somehow it was mislabeled at the factory.

The positives: It's a nice looking shirt. The fabric is well finished but a bit thin since you can see the care label through the cloth against my undershirt. The stitching was uniform and I saw no loose threads. Overall, the quality was very high. Packaging was extremely good and they used three small metal clips instead of the myriad of pins you so often see in a dress shirt which can frequently damage the fabric. Nearly all of the packaging was recyclable except for the outer bag, and the two collar stiffeners.

Another slight negative was having to turn the shirt inside out to wash it, but compared to the fit issues, that's a minor complaint.

This review isn't an indictment of the Haggar brand in any way. I suspect what happened is that some shirts may have been mislabeled and they're making their way through the system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Inexpensive Shirt, August 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice thin summer weight long sleeve shirt. The shirt looks very nice. You'll want to wear an undershirt; the fabric is just thin enough that you can see your body underneath.

The neck, as expected, runs exactly to size. The collar uses removable stays, so there are no buttons. The collar is medium length. The length is fine. I wish there was one more button at the bottom of the shirt. I'm a big fan of not showing my belly under any circumstances, and an extra button would solve that potential problem.

The fit is slightly slim from regular fit. I'm a pretty big guy. Normally regular fit is good around my belly. This shirt is just a half inch tighter than I would like. If you are a little muscular or husky, this isn't the shirt for you.

The sleeves have a button at the cuff slit. The cuffs have two buttons one for normal wrists and another for skinnier wrists.

I'm kind of old school with shirts, I prefer 100% cotton. On the other hand, the 40% polyester in this shirt makes it come out of the washing machine with fewer wrinkles and gives it a little stretch.

Overall, this is a good reasonably priced shirt. It isn't Tommy Bahama or Brooks Brothers, but it isn't anywhere near those prices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the picture, it's much more attractive in person, September 5, 2014
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The image for the Haggar Men's Regular-Fit Poplin Pattern Dress Shirt looks to me like a pajama top, but the shirt is much nicer. The white lightweight blend poplin has slate blue substantial stripes which contrast well, giving it a very crisp impression. The collar is a little more dressy than a button down, and with the enclosed removable plastic collar stays to keep the fabric put, it can be worn with or without a necktie. Having a rounded cuff keeps the fabric from fraying as easily as otherwise, and it is closed by using a single button. There are two on the cuff, so you have the ability to have it looser or tighter. All stitching was done well and the bottom side seams have a nice little curved piece of fabric sewn in.

I like very much that the bottom button is stitched in blue thread and its buttonhole is also in blue. This is a cute accent that seems almost like a secret. The fit is average and because the fabric is thin and white, if you are shy, it's probably smart to wear a t-shirt underneath. It is a great shirt for hot climates. This is a very nice shirt and well worth the cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Shirt, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The key here is that this is a solid shirt at a great Amazon price. The key is value. Our local high end second hand clothing store carries shirts of this quality at only slightly less cost so what we have here is a decent, if not superbly made shirt, at a cost only a bit higher than one would pay (local to me) for a used one of similar quality.

A note on my size comment. The abdomen area of this shirt is very roomy. The chest / shoulders is about right and the cuffs / collar a bit smaller than I anticipated. I measure a 17 neck but would have preferred a 17 1/2 collar size. The sleeves are spot on.

The shirt is a true wash and wear. Running it through 'Normal Wash' cycle on our machine and then carefully hanging on the line resulted in a wrinkle free shirt I'd be perfectly happy wearing to court or any other venue where appearance is important. The collar is espeically crisp looking probably due to the built in stays which, to my eye, are much classier than the alternatives such as the 'button down' collar look.

You really can't go wrong here at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shirt, fabric a bit too think., September 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish I could give this five stars -- but keep reading. The reason I can't may not be a reason for you. I have a thing about a shirt that has been washed a lot or a new shirt where when you put it on you can see the skin color underneath. I'm hard to fit and this shirt fits me PERFECTLY. I finally found a company where I'd have to do zero or really minor tailoring. I LOVE the design and the fit. But when you put this on you can see a bit through the fabric to see flesh colored skin underneath. My experience is with repeated washing shirts get thinner. I wonder how this will hold up with repeated washing. Again, this may not be a reason for others not to buy it. I LOVE the shirt and the design. But I felt the fabric should be a tad sturdier.If Hagar could make this slight adjustment I could give it five stars (not that they'll do it because of me). This shirt will get a LOT of use and is among my favorites: it's great as a dress shirt without a jacket and is wonderful worn with a jacket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Regular Fit, so expect some loose material by armpits; scratchy material, sleeves are too short, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The photos made the shirt look as if the stripes are more condensed, but in person there is a lot of white showing with thin blue stripes. The neck fit is as expected, but the sleeves feel short for 34/35. The style is regular fit, and I'm not a big fan of this fit. There is a lot of loose material under the armpits and the arms. I have an athletic build and Fitted or Extra Slim Fit usually fits me better. The Regular Fit looks as if it is 2 or 3 sizes larger, but with shorter than expected sleeves.

The material is a poly/cotton blend, so it doesn't shrink in the wash. That said, it does feel quite scratchy. It could have been made with a finer weave.

Overall: 3/5 stars, the sleeves could be longer. The styling isn't that great with a lot of white and thin/narrow stripes, and regular fit is for people that are of a slightly larger build around the chest and arms.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›