5.0 out of 5 stars Helping keep cool

Published 21 months ago by mechman1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping keep cool, September 19, 2010
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
Purchased portable A/C to replace window unit (eyesore). Easy to move romm to room and put away when not in use. We use it to assist our central A/C in the summer, when wife cooks (a lot) and as backup incase power goes out, we can hook it to portable generator. So far works great. Cools room quickly and is quiet. We have it in the room with TV and we do not have to turn volume up real loud. Does have the normal hum of any A/C. I will write back in a few months to update on performance and quality. We live in the south, so we run our A/C's in December.

almost year later. Still working great. use it constantly. we live in N.O. so we do not have long winters looking at possible purchasing a second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool alr, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
Very happy with this portable air conditioner so far, will know better when temp reaches 115+. I am using it in my woodworking shop. I would recommend it to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I epxected from past Haier appliances, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
I have owned two similar units for 9 years with no issues. I wanted to get new models to replace the old ones. The first night, I tried to use the heating option, and the unit just blew frigid air from the back opening. I called Haier the next morning, and was told that, unlike the older models, the new units must be vented to the outside throughout the winter months in order for the heating option to work efficiently. The provided plastic window covering does not close off my entire opening. This would mean having to have an open window throughout winter months just to attempt to efficiently heat the room. This was never explained in the online product specs or in the user manual. SInce I returned the item because it was not what I needed (or "no longer wanted" - I did not note any clearer reason option), and it was determined to not be the fault of Amazon, I must pay the $63.00+ (and the $6.00 pick-up fee) for having the unit in my home for just one night. I have learned that it is not advisable to purchase appliances online. If the item is not clearly described (so that you don't realize that you cannot use the item until after it arrives), you are penalized. April 10, 2013 FOLLOW-UP: Amazon agreed that the item was not accurately described by the manufacturer, and that the online and user manual specifications were misleading. Amazon has kindly refunded the total cost - including shipping charges - to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haier 12000 btu, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
AC works great and just as advertised. I was really impressed with it and I made my decision based on the reviews that were posted. I just wanted to add that the window assembly was a bit troublesome but was not flimsey as I thought it would be from the other reviews. However when I attached the hose connector to the window panel and attached the four screws I was surprised that it fell apart. Then I realised that the instructions says to tighten the screws from the front. Once I took the assembly off the window and threaded the screws from the other side it worked like a charm, no duct tape needed or extra parts.Your reviews helped me, I hope this helps you. Great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars This review is for Haier 12,000 BTU AC/11,000 BTU Heater, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
I've been researching these 'portable air conditioner' for awhile and saw that many of them had poor reviews. I was leery about getting one but a window unit was not an option so I eventually bought the Haier HPF12XHM-LP which is similar to this machine in that it has 12,000 BTU air conditioner but also has an 11,000 BTU heater.

I live in South Carolina (hot, humid summers) and work nights, so therefore have to sleep during the heat of the day. I needed something that would keep the bedroom cool because I can't sleep in the heat.

Anyway, bought the machine, got it home. Yes, it's heavy (about 70 lbs) but once in the house, it rolls quite nicely. Had no problems venting it through the window. Yes, I did have a bit of an air gap but I was prepared with clear packing tape. Since I close the curtains, I can't see the tape so it doesn't bother me.

Turn it on. Controls were intuitive, no problem. And - hurrah! - it produced cold air. It wasn't particularly loud but there was a - well, not exactly 'rattling' noise, maybe more of a 'vibration'. But several reviews had pointed out it was relatively loud and it wasn't unbearable so I was happy.

Went into the bedroom about an hour later and noticed there was quite a bit of condensation on the machine itself (mainly on top). 'Hmm,' I thought, 'this doesn't look good.' But no water was dripping out the bottom so I just wiped off the condensate. Had to do it several times over the next few hours. Still, no water on the floor and the room was cool so I could live with it.

Well, to make a long story short, it turns out that the 'air vent' on the top has to be lifted up!! Nowhere in the instructions is this mentioned and none of the pictures show the machine with the vent up. Even the picture showing the 'parts of the machine' have an arrow pointing toward the *closed* vent (which actually has about a 1" gap through which the cold air comes even when closed). Once I lifted the air vent up, the 'vibration' sound went away and (obviously) a lot more cold air came out. Turns out the condensation I'd been experiencing was because much of the cooled air was circulating around *inside* the machine.

Now, with the air vent open, the machine is pouring out cold air - lots of it. And it's not cool, it almost feels icy. And it's quiet, barely louder than a fan. I can't speak for how well it will hold up but it's doing a great job of cooling. I'm very pleased so far.

****************************************

It is now Nov 2013 and I've had this machine 5 months. The air conditioning worked perfectly all summer. No complaints at all. And there was no condensation, I didn't have to empty the reservoir once.

But now it's Nov. and I'm using the heating part of it. The heating works fine, pours out lots of heat, regulates it well, great. So why did I drop my review from 5 stars to 4 stars? The condensation. The instructions warn you that, in heating mode, the machine's reservoir will fill up and need to be emptied (which makes no sense to me) but they didn't say it would happen every few hours. Seriously, 3-4 times/day! But what really bugs me is the placement of the sprout you have to use to empty the reservoir. It's very low (maybe an inch off the ground) which is bad enough but understandable. But it's in the *back* of the machine, impossible to get to unless you move the machine which often dislodges the pipe leading outside. The machine should have been engineered so that the sprout came out the front.

In sum, the machine seems well-built and works great but has a major design flaw that almost makes the heating part of this machine useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, August 1, 2011
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
I only installed this A/C yesterday. So far it seems very powerful and easy to install. I have been told that a window unit may be quieter and more powerful, but I personally didn't want to deal with the transport and movement of a 70 lb unit. So I bought a portable unit. I turned it on for the first time yesterday and it seemed to cool the room immediately. I did start to worry because it took the compressor a little longer to turn on initially, but once it turned on it took about 5 minutes to turn the room from 83 to 78. I did read some reviews about emptying the water, but my thought was that was a small price to pay for the convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great!, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
I have a 500 sq foot 1 bedroom apartment and it works great! i have it in the living room and use a small fan to get more airflow to the bedroom. only thing i had trouble with is the window kit. i have a 51" window and it comes with a 36'' kit. so i had to order a longer one for 50 bucks. kinda upsetting after what i payed. great AC unit though

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool the air well, but noisy like a train!, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
It works well, cools the air quickly, even cools the air in the dehumidifier mode. It also self evaporates so you don't have to deal with draining it. However, be ware that unless you fall asleep easily in a noisy environment, this machine's compressor is as loud and noisy as you can imagine. When it is on you will feel like you are sleeping at a train or metro station when the train is coming in or out! That loud! If I can afford another at this time, I will definitely ditch it for something quieter. What's good is a portable AC if you can sleep in your bedroom while it is on?

4.0 out of 5 stars Emergency Back up A/C, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
we purchased 4 of these units as a back up for a Central a/c unit . The lookand the design is right for the space , and they put out a good amount of Cool air . we are satisfied that these units are what they claim to be

1.0 out of 5 stars Haier Customer Service is the worst ever!, June 14, 2013
This review is from: Haier CPN12XH9 12K Portable Air Conditioner (Kitchen)
Brand New Haier Portable AC part #CPN12XH9 did not work out of the box, it just gave an E2 error code. There is no error code sheet or maintenance manual with the product or available anywhere online.

Haier customer service will not supply an error code sheet or maintenance manual either. Call them if you do not believe it 1-877-337-3639.

After 2 weeks of following up the only thing they can do is exchange the unit which will take another two weeks to process and then ship...They will NOT send someone to fix it, send parts, or give a part number or maintenance manual so I can order and fix it myself.

What good is a product one cannot maintain or even use?

You deserve what you get if you still choose to purchase from Haier.

I would rate a "0" if possible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›