on April 18, 2011
Only after careful consideration and eight hours of research I decided to go with this unit. This agitator-less, "pulsating" washer really gets clothes SO clean! Traditional top loading washers use 40 gallons of water. So I was happy to learn that this unit only uses 24 gallons of water during the entire wash cycle. It has no agitator, so it's extremely gentle on clothes as well as increasing it's load capacity. Clothes come out slightly damp, so it cuts down on dryer time. And it has to be one of the quietest units I have ever experienced, even on spin cycle. After visiting their company website, I found out that this not so well known company, is actually the #1 selling washer in the world! And they are also the official washer of the NBA. I'm VERY pleased with my purchase!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2012
This washer is great at cleaning clothes and extracting excess water from load. However the spin cycle is a little loud. Other than that I have no complaints.
on May 1, 2012
This washer has some power! It washes my clothes really thoroughly and they smell so fresh. its really quiet, has alot of room compared to washers with agitators, and is more gentle on clothes. unlike front loaders whose shocks wear out in time the top loader has no shocks and wont wear out in time. the only thing i have to say negatively is that you would think that you just connect the hoses and plug it in and it would work, which it did, but the water was just running out onto the floor from underneath because an underneath hose and magnetic plug was not connected or screwed in properly...so after cleaning our entire laundry room floor of water twice we figured out what was wrong..afterward it ran beautifully and was worth the fiddling!...i would buy this washer all over again!

Later Review edit: so a few months back the machine started to make a motor problem noise and the company sucked at getting us an answer to our problem..if you arent in their servicing area dont even bother buying products from them. on the other hand after almost 2 months of fighting with them on whether they were going to do something about this broken machine or not they ended up sending us another brand new machine and not taking the old broken one back. Ive already had 2 scares with this 2nd new machine but i rebalanced the load and it did ok after that. I would never ever buy from this company again.

Even later review edit: The 2nd new machine we have is still working just like new...it washed soooo well that your clothes WILL more than likely tangle.... but the clothes you KNOW are clean. so far NO funky smells have built up either. I like the washer but ONLY if you are in the companys service area.
on October 18, 2012
DON'T BUY THIS WASHER!! EVEN UNDER WARRANTY, THEY WON'T FIX IT!!

My less than 9 MONTH OLD Haier Super Plus Capacity Encore Washer broke down on
Oct 2,2012 without finishing the rinse cycle. The clothes as usual were tied up in knots. This machine is still under warranty. We called Haier and they said they would send a repairman on Oct.9,2012 at 9:00 a.m. I took the day off work and waited.
No call, no repairman.
I called Haier again and spoke to Gareth. He said they would try to get someone as soon as possible and that a repairman would be at our house at 4 pm Wed or maybe sometime Friday. That was not acceptable to us. We need a date and time. Haier did not call.
We called back and spoke to Jeff and he said someone would be here at our home in 3-5 business days at 4:00 pm and would call to confirm and we should keep a log of all money spent at the Laundromat. I was here every day at 4:00 pm.
No call, no repairman.
Called Haier again. Told Jeff if the washer was not repaired or replaced by Oct 17 2012 we expected a refund of every penny spent on the washer & the shipping costs.
I called back on Tues am Oct 16 to the corporate office to complain about the lies told to me by the Customer Service Dept about sending someone out to repair the Haier washer. Spoke to Karen who said she was the Vice President. When she was told about the runaround and the lies, she said she would call us back the same day in the afternoon at which time she said she would either find someone to fix the washer on the 17th, or would arrange to have a new washer brought to us and the defective washer removed.
No call, no repairman, no new washer, still have the old.
I called this afternoon Oct 18,2012 and left a message for Karen saying nothing happened on the 17th. Karen called back on the afternoon of the 18th, saying she was unable to return my call because someone else in the office had some kind of family emergency.
Karen said that if she couldn't find someone to repair the washer, she would start the process of MAYBE replacing the DEFECTIVE WASHER with a new one because she would have to get that approved. These empty promises change with every breath.
I am greatly surprised that Amazon would do any kind of business with this type of company. I have bought many things from Amazon and have been very pleased with the accurate descriptions of the items and the quality. I'll still do my Christmas shopping at Amazon, but I'm spreading the word about Haier.
I wish someone had told me that the Haier Warranty is worthless, and Haier will not honor their own warranty.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 2, 2013
I have both the Haier Washer and Dryer, Encore Super Capacity. At first, both seemed to be working well. As time wore on (they are one year old), I realized that the washer takes an inordinately long time to go through its cycles. This a.m. I timed a large load, colors, cold water. I turned it on at 9:14 a.m., it finished at 10:14 a.m. No extra rinse, etc. At this rate, it takes me 3-4 hours to finish washing and drying three loads of laundry. It doesn't matter whether it is a large load or a small load, still takes forever. Only cycles that are shorter are "Delicate," and sometimes "Quick."

As for the dryer, works fine - except - when I wash king-size sheets - top, bottom and two pillow cases, the drying balls them into one big cylinder and only the very outside gets dry. I stop the dryer, take the bundle all apart, shake them out and put them back, start the dryer again. It will do the very same thing. Sometimes it takes 3 cycles to get my sheets dry. This is very time consuming, not to mention a real pain shaking out king-size sheets over and over.

All in all, these are attractive machines and I like the stainless steel drums. That's about it. I am not happy with them. They were relatively inexpensive, and I have learned (once again) that you get what you pay for.
on November 3, 2012
I purchased this GWT450AW washer from my local appliance dealer during November of 2010. It came highly recommended as a gerat washer.
After 12 months and two weeks, the push on/off switch would not operate, no warranty and no parts available for a small wiring harness, you had to purchase an entire control panel at approximately $90.00, I spliced the broken wire in the wiring assembly, that corrected the switch issue.
Now - the washer tub will not sit in the center of the housing, sits off to the right side within the housing(the washer is level in all four directions). During the spin cycle the tub bangs against the right wall of the housing during spin, very loud continuous banging until spin cycle is completed, I have attempted to redistribute the load but that does not correct the problem. The tub is far off center even with no clothes in the tub.
I am to the point of trashing the washer and trying to find a U.S. made washer.
on March 11, 2013
I called a repair man to show me that a bobby pin will get between the plastic in the bottom of the tub. It will go into the pump motor and stop it from draining. You fix it by draining all the water by hand then dissassemble the hose underneath the washer to get it out of the pump motor.

A year later it burned through the belt so I bought another belt. It is now burning through that one. So now I think I am off to buy another washer.
on July 12, 2014
I bought this unit 2-3 years ago and am very pleased with the thoroughness of the wash and how gentle it is on my clothes. It is relatively quiet, and without the agitator I have an easier time washing large items like sheets and duvet covers.
However, the reason I dropped this down to two stars is because I have been fighting a poorly designed drain pump since we purchased this washer. In the first year of ownership I had the unit serviced twice, under warranty, for a faulty drain pump. I had no issue with their warranty services since I was within their coverage area.
Now, I am outside the warranty period and am having to replace the drain pump again! I called Haier and there is no recall and nothing they will do for an issue that is clearly an engineering flaw. I am ordering a new pump ($40) and will install it myself this time around, but I will not buy another Haier washer when I replace this one.
All in all, plus two stars for being an effective washer but minus three for ongoing drain pump issues. I expect I will be replacing that drain pump once every year or so until I replace the unit.