1,162 of 1,206 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC 7 inch portable LCD TV !
I am really thrilled with my purchase of this Haier HLT71 7-inch, ATSC 2009-ready portable LCD TV! I have never heard of this name brand Haier, and I had heard many nightmare stories about some of the other name brands having poor pictures on these little screens, so I thought I'd give this Haier a try.

I ordered this tv directly from Amazon and it came to me...
Published on September 15, 2008 by Tante Maren

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent portable for the price
My old little portable TV used for emergencies "expired" in February 2009 - so I ordered one of these because they are set up for the new digital broadcasts. The first one I received didn't pick up any channels and had no sound. I figured it had to be a damaged unit, so returned it to Amazon for a replacement and the second one is working fine. Picks up most of my...
Published on November 14, 2008 by Grider

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 481 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Ordered it twice..., March 4, 2009
C-Louise (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haier HLT71 7-Inch Handheld LCD TV (2009 Model) (Electronics)
I really loved the Haier and wanted it to work. It had a beautiful picture, I liked the rubberized body, the remote with volume control and power on/off, etc. But, like so many others have experienced, the first one I received wouldn't hold the channels in memory. I called Haier's customer service, and the tech acknowledged the problem and said they were waiting to hear from "corporate" about how they would be addressing the problem. He didn't know how long that would take, however. Since some reviewers didn't have the problem, I took a chance and returned it to Amazon for an exchange. Same problem with the replacement. So I returned that one, too, and then ordered the Axion 7".

Contrary to what another reviewer said about it not being the fault of the TV but rather where you live and the digital signals, it IS the TV. I live in a major metro area. The Axion 7" I ordered to replace the Haier has received, and held in memory, multiple channels. So has a 19-inch Sanyo digital HDTV that I recently ordered from Walmart for my bedroom (great little TV, BTW). And I use the little antenna that came with the Axion, and a cheapo RCA Ant111 antenna with the 19" Sanyo. Neither is hooked up to cable or satellite, and they both have beautiful pictures and reception.

I don't have any axe to grind in favor of the Axion. In all other ways, I preferred the Haier. I just didn't want to live with having to scan for channels every time I turn it on, and not knowing if I would get ABC or NBC or CBS from one day/scan to the next. For those of you who received a "good" one, congratulations. I'm jealous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haier reviews, January 21, 2009
Wow - I really don't understand the discrepencies in all the reviews. I actually own two of these tv's. The first one I received as a gift. I too wanted an emergency tv that would work after the conversion in February. My first set is connected to my cable - the picture is clear and sharp. I do not lose my stored channels when it is turned off. The battery is not in the tv. I couldn't ask for better reception. My 2nd tv is not connected to the cable. I did have issues with the antenna so I went to [...] as mentioned in a previous review and found what type of antenna I needed. They also tell you what frequency each channel needs to be set at. i.e. my NBC channel(2), which is Channel 12 on my cable, is actually frequency #35 with the antenna. I purchased the RCA ANT111 antenna(at Amazon)and have been totally pleased. This antenna pulls in all the major stations and again the picture quality is crisp and clear. I don't lose the previous stored channel when turned off with this set either. My main decision in choosing this tv over the Axion was the longer,external battery life and the fact that I wanted to be able to control the volume on the remote. Now I will say that I didn't know what to do with the green wrapping on that battery pack.(no instructions with flimsy manual) I did leave it on and charged the battery. It charged successfully but I haven't tested the longevity of it yet. I couldn't be happier with these little tv's. It seems you either get a good one or you don't. I would recommend buying one and if it doesn't work to your satisfaction, send it back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not remember channels, January 7, 2009
I tried to program the set using an antenna. It programmed the channels correctly and got a reasonably good picture on most channels. However, after the set was turned off and put back on, it said it had no database and needed to have the set reprogrammed. I ended up returning it, assuming there was something wrong. I received a replacement and the same thing happened. I returned that one also.

5.0 out of 5 stars I almost gave up on it - great little TV!, March 5, 2009
I was impressed with the good feeback on this little TV, so I ordered it. I wanted it for my office to watch my soap during my lunch hour. But when it was delivered to my home, I could not get it to work at my house at all. Tried everything. Even bought a fancy $35 antennae. Packed it up to send it back, but office mate said, why don't you bring it here and just see if it works. I did, and it worked fabulously at my office with an old RCA rabbit ears I've had for forever. The antennae that came with it just wasn't enough. After the channels set up at my office, I brought it home and now it works at home, too. Have no clue why. We only have five or six digital signals in the Little Rock area so no problem with stations having to reset each time you turn the TV on due to lack of memory. PLUS, if you go into the menu and set the balance on the sound all the way to the right, you can get a louder volume. The picture is awesome. The rechargeable battery is great too in case of power outage. The price was excellent. Now I think I can live with this crazy change from analog to digital.

2.0 out of 5 stars 7 Inch TV not up to the hype, February 2, 2009
I purchased this under the brand name PRISM at CVS. Price was an attractive $99.99. I returned it an hour later. There are at least 5 strong HDTV signals in my area. It received only two of them, and very broken up at that. The analog channels faired no better.

When connected to a cable system, all HD channels came in very well; analog a bit snowy. It's a great item if you plan to use it indoors connected to a cable system. I bought it for stand-alone use, and it failed to perform even at a minimally accepted level. As a retired audio-video engineer, I think this item suffers mostly from a low-gain input amplifier. It is not for "portable" use.

Other features were remarkable. Sound clear, picture bright and sharp when connected to a cable system. Auxiliary input for use with a DVD player or VCR or video game. Easy to use menu options. If they can get the tuner to work better, I'd reconsider getting one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV With Proper Antenna!!, July 21, 2009
Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV
I've had this for about 1 month and am very pleased with it. It seems that most reviewers are dissatisfied with the antenna/reception. Since the transition to digital transmission, it is my understanding that the signals are sent using UHF. I believe that the supplied antenna is a VHF type, which causes so many people to have problems. Remember the "old" UHF loop antennas that used to come with televisions? (Approx. 10" round metal about the size of coat hanger wire) This is all one needs now to receive the digital signals. I use an 18" coax cable, a 75-300 ohm converter, and a UHF loop antenna with my Haier 7" tv with excellent results. Online, you can purchase these items for easily under $5. The tv also works great when plugged into a wall jack for a rooftop antenna. (Combination UHF/VHF that is 30 years old!) The UHF loop antenna setup works equally as well outside as it does inside.
I also use the same setup with a 22" wall-mounted flat LCD screen in my house. The only thing different is that I used a longer cable so I could extend the loop antenna up near the ceiling so that the signal wouldn't get blocked by people moving about the house.
Realizing that any problems have been with the antenna and not the tv itself, I would highly recommend this tv!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice little device, March 23, 2009
I am enjoying this little TV very much! I hooked it up to my Cable and have it in my home office. The antenna provided does not work very well in dense areas, but does in open areas. I plan on buying a digital antenna soon as recommend by other users, most likely an indoor one. The picture is fantastic and sound in just fine for it's size (even better with headphones). The main reason I choose this model is it had volume control on the remote and charges the battery from the car lighter. I shopped for many different portable "digital compliant' TVs for a few days, and this one was the best available. I would highly recommend this model to anyone who has the same desire. I can't wait to try it when camping with a digital antenna.

5.0 out of 5 stars Identical to the 7" Digital Prism sold by CVS Pharmacy, February 16, 2009
I recently purchased an identical set from CVS under the Digital Prism brand name (Item A1710130, Model TVS3970A) and am very pleased with it. For less than you would have paid a few years ago for a 2 inch LCD with analog tuning, you now get a much larger widescreen picture, stereo sound, IR remote control and DTV. If you didn't know better, you might mistake this set for an electronic picture frame. And why not? It is the same size as many popular frames and a support stand pivots out from the back to make it stand on a desk or a tabletop. It comes with 3-way power: AC adapter/charger, car adapter, and a built-in, replaceable Li-Ion battery. With a list price of $130 from CVS Pharmacy, this set would be a bargain LCD monitor. But with the built-in ATSC and NTSC channel tuners it's a steal! This little set lets you choose between two input sources: a standard RF cable connector for cable or over-the-air signals, plus the familiar yellow-red-white RCA connectors that allow you to connect a DVD, game system or a digital camera, etc. They include a telescoping rod antenna that fits onto the RF connector and provided dozens of digital and analog stations from a distance of about 12 miles. Even though this TV is extremely portable, the manufacturer advises us that "Digital reception is poor when the TV is moving, such as in a vehicle. For best digital reception, the TV must be stationary." This is a characteristic of digital broadcast reception that will hold true for any DTV. I might add that the picture can temporarily freeze if you walk with the TV, or even if the TV is stationary and you are moving too much. With that said, I have to admit, this TV is a joy to watch. The picture is bright and sharp, and the menu system offers all of the usual picture adjustments, plus a few unexpected ones such as Dynamic, Soft, and Personal. There's also a color temperature adjustment, zoom, closed captioning and choice of two other menu languages: Spanish and French. The Electronic Program Guide does a great job of describing the current program and letting you know what's coming up later. While the set receives signals up to 1080i, the reality is that LCD dots have not yet been miniaturized to fit 1080 lines into a package this small, and so the display resolution on this set is 1440 by 234. Compared to a 42 inch set, the smallest details are just not available, however the picture is still razor sharp enough to read closed-captioning and sports crawlers across the bottom of the screen. I enjoy having it right next to my computer display. Sure, they make DTV adapter cards for a computer, but this set does not interfere with processing power and the picture does not get in the way of other programs that are running. The built-in stereo speakers provide adequate personal-listening volume, or you can plug in headphones (not-included) or your favorite 2.1 computer speakers for a better experience. The only flaw I noticed with the entire TV is a bit of electrical noise present in the speakers or headphones when the volume is set very low. This should not be a problem for most people and is comparable to the motor you might hear while using a portable DVD player. The TV comes with a one-year warranty for home use, but Digital Prism has no web site, only an email address, so treat your set carefully.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product, March 31, 2009
K. Casey (Montclair, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this product as a present for my husband who wanted to use it out on the back deck and in his workroom. We were only able to get 2 channels clearly, all the others either were very fuzzy or gave us an error message. We tried it in various locations around the house & outside & tried to connect rabbit ear antenna to it but it did not help. It was a great size but it did not work so I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Rugged Guy for Little Expense!, December 14, 2010
R. Shorrock "BigFig" (Lake Placid, Florida) - See all my reviews
I own a video production business, and was using my camera on a Spiderbrace shoulder support during the 2 hour church Youth Night services that my church has me videotape. I have to wear bifocles and use the bottom part of the lens to see the swivel-out LCD on the camera, which I have to use to monitor camera picture and functions. But looking through the bottom part of my glasses forces me to bend my neck during that two hours, which causes me neck and shoulder pain for several days afterward. So I was looking for some external monitor for the camera that I could mount on the Spiderbrace. I'd seen some pictures of some other people using this product with the monitor mounted on a tripod. I thought surely this handy monitor would cost at least 200 bucks. I have just been an avid Amazon shopper over the last 2 years, and looked it up. Just under 50 bucks! Just what I needed! I got it with the free shipping (5 to 8 days, though!), and was surprised when it showed up at my door in only 3. My first impressions when pulling it out of the box was the rugged construction: solid rubber-covered plastic all over. Then I noticed the tripod socket on the bottom of the device. Kudos to Haier for thinking of this. And I am impressed that the monitor comes with a real remote control, not one of those thin credit card type things. I won't comment on what channels I did or did not get on the monitor, since I live in a rural area and didn't buy the Haier to watch television. Although when I go to the big cities in my state, I will try it out, but I bought it primarily for a camera monitor. It took me a while to calibrate it with color bars and a PLUGE pattern, but it matches the camera LCD pretty close. Well worth the price I paid for it and more!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 481 | Next ›

Haier HLT71 7-Inch Handheld LCD TV (2009 Model)
Used & New from: $150.00