1,162 of 1,206 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC 7 inch portable LCD TV !
I am really thrilled with my purchase of this Haier HLT71 7-inch, ATSC 2009-ready portable LCD TV! I have never heard of this name brand Haier, and I had heard many nightmare stories about some of the other name brands having poor pictures on these little screens, so I thought I'd give this Haier a try.

I ordered this tv directly from Amazon and it came to me...
Published on September 15, 2008 by Tante Maren

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent portable for the price
My old little portable TV used for emergencies "expired" in February 2009 - so I ordered one of these because they are set up for the new digital broadcasts. The first one I received didn't pick up any channels and had no sound. I figured it had to be a damaged unit, so returned it to Amazon for a replacement and the second one is working fine. Picks up most of my...
Published on November 14, 2008 by Grider

‹ Previous | 18 9 1082 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Get Stations, May 14, 2009
This review is from: Haier HLT71 7-Inch Handheld LCD TV (2009 Model) (Electronics)
The little TV was just the right size I wanted to replace our small portable TV (not digital). We live in the Chicago area. The Hailer TV does not find many local ststions even with a seperate antenna. Would not recomend this TV for that reason.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn-good little TV, July 18, 2009
RbwNY (Schenectady, NY) - See all my reviews
Unless I visit my Canadian relatives (before 2011) my former analog hand-held b&w TV isn't much good anymore...and I must say that this 7" Haier portable is a welcome replacement.

What I like is the clear picture, the general ease of use, the capabilities of adjusting picture and other settings to very personal levels, and it has pretty good sound too.

What I'm not too crazy about, is that the whip antenna supplied with the unit is next to useless. The "antenna-farm" for this area is about 10 miles from my house. The "whipper" just won't capture much of a useable signal on most channels, so I've been forced to purchase separate antennas. (see my other reviews) Also, the unit's tuner, while receiving both analog & digital broadcasts...seems to lack a bit of sensitivity, whereby I've had to go to a stronger antenna, than what I was using on a 13" 1980-something Radio Shack TV (with converter) to get the same channels on the Haier.

I guess the battery is ok. 2 hrs runtime? -- 6 hrs to charge. And by the way, the battery charge light go ON, EVERYtime the AC adapter is plugged in! I just hope if left plugged-in (with full charge--showing a green light) that it doesn't OVERcharge.

Overall I'm satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haier Tv, January 6, 2009
Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV

perfect for the kitchen to replace an analog TV. Only downside is the power and cable connections are on the side of the TV thus wires visible

3.0 out of 5 stars Haier Today..., August 2, 2010
This unit seems to work at it's best when hooked up to an analog cable TV coaxial cable and set to scan in those channels. In this case the picture controls aren't adjustable, but color and picture quality are quite good on automatic settings, and the remote control is very advanced compared to similar sized TV remotes.

The downside comes when trying to access over-the-air digital TV. The rod antenna is really only good for VHF, a disadvantage as the bulk of digital TV broadcasts are on UHF. Change the rod antenna for a pair of less portable rabbit ears/loop, and reception is vastly improved.

Color and crispness drop when viewing over-the-air as opposed to cable. Readjusting the (now manually adjustable) settings still would not yield a clear, true color picture, with decent tint, brightness, and contrast. The 480i picture seems far less sharp than a tiny set with it's tighter resolution should be

Another drawback is that the set can't add on new stations during scan, without erasing the old ones, putting you back at square one, especially when trying to lock in stations in different locations. Though stereo is appreciated, the volume is low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haier HLT71 7-inch, Digital/Analog LCD TV, June 9, 2010
AFRED "Allyka" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Haier HLT71 7-inch, ATSC 2009-ready portable LCD TV works as promised. Picks up local digital channels. In my area (Southern Marin) which channels and amount of intermittent picture pixilation varies with the tiniest change of antenna position. Maximize channel pickup by rescanning with slightly different antenna orientation and then rescanning occasionally to pick up any changes during this very long transition period that seems to still be ongoing. Really a good clear picture, both analogy and digital, tho digital probably not HD. Murkiness of picture varies with orientation of screen to viewer. Sound acceptable, definitely constrained by size of speakers, using a headphone maximizes sound quality. Remote balky, but does work and is convenient to use if exercising. Battery does last close to 2 hours.
Cons: No stand available, tho there is a screw in jack on the bottom of the unit. Am going to try a camera tripod when I excavate mine from the bottom of the closet. Meantime am using a stand meant for displaying dishes. Reception very sensitive to the slight change in antenna position

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable for the $65 i paid, June 9, 2010
D-Walker (New York City) - See all my reviews
Solid build and good design. Picture (highER-res, not HD) is stable if you find a place with good reception and don't move the TV. I compared 3 different antennas (the one it came with, the one with the ATI 600 USB and an ARTEC flat antenna) and got 3 different sets of channels, the ATI giving me the most channels. It seems to need to settle if you move it. I brought it to the office but reception was unstable; I'd get a channel then lose it. I keep it in the same place in my apartment now and reception is perfect. Sound is tinny, even for a portable this size, but clear. A friend got the TV/DVD combo for $140, which he's very pleased with. Essentially it's the same unit but with a DVD player and a stand, which makes a big difference, and he has the same reception problems but loves the unit. Overall, a good TV but limited in terms of portability/reception stability. The RCA inputs are a good option and there are plenty of menu settings. (The company name leads you to believe it's German (I never heard of them prior to buying this TV) but the company is in China.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasanting Pleased, June 7, 2009
Bev (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This has a clear, sharp picture. Easy to setup for the first time use.
Very compact and lightweight. The digital signal was capable of being picked up for the channels/stations in the area where I live. I did take it with to the coffee shop while studying and did a rescan and was able to pickup more channels.

I would give it 5 stars but two things I find lacking.
1. The battery life could be longer and I haven't found the information where to find a spare or replace the battery. But the battery is replacable.
2. The antenna should be more compact so it folds down to the size of the TV. When folded down the antenna stub sticks out the side which gives it the free range motion when in use; the telescopic antenna when shortened is longer than the TV. But the antenna comes off easy enough so it is not enough of a deterrent to not buy the TV.
The overall quality of this TV offsets the downside.

Please post if someone knows where to get additional batteries. During a storm it would be nice to have a battery with longer life or extra batteries charged up to replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed. Works Perfectly !, December 23, 2009
Just got mine today, a day early.

I work from home and spend hours on my computer everyday. I was looking for something simple that I could sit on my desk so that I could keep caught up on news and sports, or don't have to stop working to catch a favorite program.

I looked into DTV adapters or TV cards for my computer...that would have entailed either using one of my monitors for TV, or buying a new monitor to use as a TV...I wasn't too thrilled with either of those options, especially since the reviews on the adapters weren't that great and the good ones all seemed to take up a lot of processor. Besides, I wasn't really sure if I wanted my computer to function as a TV...I have enough stuff going on as it is.

I thought of just buying an HDTV that was the same size as my monitors and mount them all...but still I was looking at at least $250 (on the low end) and a 3 monitor mount...just to watch TV ?

When I started looking at portables, I was looking specifically for one that had decent reviews and had an input for CATV. I never intended to use it as something I would take out of the office, or for emergencies since I don't live in an area that has bad storms or power outages.

The reviews on this unit looked good, most of the complaints seemed to be reception issues based on location..not about the unit itself, and a few days ago the price dropped to $64.99 right in front of my eyes, so I took a chance.

Right out of the box I plugged it in, screwed in the antennae (I live in Las Vegas) and saw that I could get about 13 stations with the included antennae. It took a little adjusting to get them all without any time outs or broken signals, but it picked them up fine.

Note: Mind you, Vegas is a valley surrounded by mountains... the broadcast towers are up high..surrounding the city and there are not too many tall buildings (outside of the strip) and absolutely no hills throughout the city to block the signals. It's pretty flat. I live dead center of the city, so it's a good ways from the towers on Black Mt....probably 12-15 miles, but there are no obstructions. I can see how if you live in an area with a lot of tall buildings in between you and the signal, big trees everywhere, or a lot of hills..over the air digital reception will probably be a pain without an aftermarket antennae. That's not the units fault.

Digital signals are better quality picture and sound..but receiving them over the air is not like it was with the old school signals..you either get a strong signal or nothing..but of course I wanted it to watch cable, so I screwed in my CATV cord (straight from the wall) and hit scan and programmed 70+ stations (it actually said 130). Great ! ESPN, MSNBC, CNN, and all my local stations in HD, and everything else that I normally channel surf.

Picture is very nice, crisp even...and the sound from the speakers isn't really bad at all. I mean it's a small unit..how good can it be? It's definitely loud and clear enough, no distortion..better than my netbook, but of course it's inside on my desk.

It has all the settings and options to adjust contrast, brightness, sharpness, tint, color, balance. Sleep timer, clock, wide screen, closed caption, favorite channels and more...just like any other TV.
There's also TV, and AV input options..can't wait to hook it up to a camera...I'm sure that I can probably configure it to be my video conferencing monitor..keeping my computer monitors free to work while I talk.(Your computer would need an AV-out for that to work)

The kickstand is a little flimsy, but it works just fine. There's a spot for a mount underneath to screw in a tripod.

Very sound construction...mine has the rubber coating around the outside as well.
I see people complaining about the remote control not working properly...mine works just fine. You are only going to be so far away from a 7" screen anyway, probably close enough to just reach out and use the buttons on the unit, so I don't see why it needs to work from across the room..however the big buttons are for the menu, instead of channel and volume...I thought that was a strange layout but not enough to take off points.

Other complaints I see are about it not holding stations after you turn it off..so far I don't see that either..It's turns on to the same station that it was on when I turned it off..just like any other TV. It holds all of my stations.

I haven't even read the instructions yet..everything is pretty self explanatory and very easy to set up. Plug in the power and screw in the CATV cord and you'll be watching Digital TV in about 2 minutes.

I think it's just perfect and exactly what I needed and was looking for, I recommend it, especially at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, beats paying subscription fees., March 6, 2010
EA~ "EA~" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Bought it as a gift for my father so he can watch his World Cup soccer matches while at work (at least the over the air games).

Previously purchased portable TV's (like 8+ years ago), were bulky, in black and white, poor sound/picture quality, hassling with super long antennas, and compursome.

However, this Haier TV was none of it. It exceeded my expectations and my dad loved it! I also loved it so much that I bought a second one for myself to keep in the car!

It's super bright clear picture and sound quality are great. Easy to program, convinient, light weight, comes with a remote control, and is hassle free. Easy to use, right out of the box, with a quick programming needed to pick up all the signals. It's digital TV ready (which was one of my greatest concerns) and needs no additional cables, filters, etc. needed. Just push the button that says "program" and you're done after about a minute or two.

If you're looking a for a portable TV, this is a good choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a bathroom, January 23, 2009
This TV is not fancy. My father-in-law, who could afford any TV he wanted, was given this cheap quality TV for Christmas. Upon finishing watching the kids open their gifts, he spent the next two hours playing with his TV. He installed it in his bathroom using a coaxial cable to provide cable TV. He has since told us that it works very well for his purposes. He gets a good, not great (it is not HD so we knew that before ordering), picture and good sound. He only wanted to be able to watch the news while he prepared for work in the morning. As a community college president, it is important that he gets the news each morning and this TV allows him to multitask while dressing.

For those who want a great picture and amazing sound, you should know that a $130 TV will not deliver. Please, do not purchase then complain about the picture or sound quality. Reviews like that would have dissuaded me from buying this as a gift for my somewhat picky father-in-law. I am glad I did as this seems to be the best gift we have gotten him since I met him 11 years ago.

Oh yeah, this TV is SUPER lightweight. I shopped around at various stores (like Target) and found that the others seemed to have more weight. The casing of the set is not cheaply constructed to lower its weight. The casing is actually a part of the TV that my father-in-law likes the best.

Buy it! But make sure you are doing it for convenience in use not for high quality entertainment presentation.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1082 | Next ›

Haier HLT71 7-Inch Handheld LCD TV (2009 Model)
Used & New from: $89.99