Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Color: Medium BrownChange

on March 1, 2014
I bought this stuff on a lark. I've always had long hair (and still keep it to my shoulders)... but I've needed to keep it in a pony tail for more than a few years now, and even at that it's become harder and harder to hide the fact that my hair is thinning more and more as I get older... pretty much impossible, really. I don't believe I'll ever get a hair transplant or wear a toupee, rather, I aim to just age as gracefully as I can...

I figured, "it's less than $20"... Most of the other hair powders and sprays are a lot more than that. I didn't buy this product with the belief that it would really work; I hoped it would, but I was reservedly pessimistic. It was more of a feeling like I got as a child when I bought a superhero doll and for a brief moment, before I began playing with it, I actually pictured myself flying, or knocking down a brick wall, or whatever. It was a good feeling... it was a fleeting feeling, but a good one. So, I ordered it.

When I first tried this stuff, somehow, I got the application perfect... I was literally in a mild shock. I hadn't told my fiancee about the stuff. I went up to her and said, "do you notice anything different?"... to which she replied, "yeah... what is it, you look healthier or younger, or something?" I then bowed my head down in front of her so she could see the top of my head... "what the?!", she said. She too shared my shock. She then asked if I had a transplant done, got a toupee, etc. Nope. I handed her the jar of this stuff. We were both giddy.

After the first time, however, came the learning curve. Sometimes it was really frustrating getting this stuff to work. I had a few calamities. I'll make a list at the bottom of this review with what I've learned using this stuff. I would say it took a little more than a month to really master the use of this powder and get good results consistently. I've gotten to the point that I can actually wear my hair down! This may not be a big deal to most men, but for me it was awesome. It takes a little more product to make this happen (when compared to the amount I use when my hair is in a pony tail), but so what... the feeling I get when my hair is down makes it worth it. When you master this stuff, it makes it nearly impossible for anyone to know your secret... and although I know I'm fooling myself, when I walk past a mirror, or my reflection, and when I see the way people look at me... it's just the best... from a cheap product that I thought was going to be a joke. Go figure.

If you can't tell, yes, I HIGHLY recommend this product.

This is what I've learned about this product and how to use it:

1) You need to still have hair... this WILL NOT work on absolutely bald spots. You MUST have some hair in the area you are going to treat in order to complete the illusion. Luckily, I'm only thinning and not completely bald... I am thinning quite a bit though.

2) Your hair MUST BE COMPLETELY DRY before you use this stuff... If you use it when your hair is wet/moist, it will clump up and make a terrible mess. So, you'll either need to use a blow-dryer or have some patience.

3) This stuff is MESSY. There's no two but's about it. It is a dust and it drifts everywhere... everywhere. Again, this stuff is cheap and it works, so I don't care... but I can see how an ADHD person would not be able to deal with this. It will also get on your pillow... when you wake up in the morning, you're going to have an obvious dusty spot.

4) For me, one jar lasts about 1 to 1.5 months.

5) The dust will invariably get on your forehead as you apply it... it's important to gently dust off your forehead with a tissue before you use hairspray... trust me on this.

6) You need to use a firm hold hairspray to lock this in well... Then, it's pretty much water and wind resistant.

7) You'll need a good hand mirror to work in tandem with a wall mirror to apply this stuff well.

8) Sometimes it's better to use a brush to pat in the product rather than your hands (which they suggest in their instructions).

This stuff is one of the best surprises I've had in quite a while and I can't endorse it enough... try it!
on January 17, 2013
Here's the thing, the difference between Caboki, Toppik, and XFusion is that HSR uses a touch of rayon and other nice things in addition to Keratin to produce the filler. Caboki is nice for treehuggers and is a nice product in it's own right, but it's also double the cost.

In it's own right HSR does a very good job at covering sparse air. My hair is sparse, not balding, which makes it a very good product for me. It fills the gaps beautifully and I have no reservations in buying another can. Just like Caboki, the product washes off with water, not just shampoo, meaning that it's not all that waterproof.
on May 14, 2012
It fills in the bald spots very nicely. People can't tell if I am using something or not because it looks natural. The only problem with this stuff is that it can get on your face, on your pillow and on your clothes. Make sure to use hairspray to hold it in place.
on October 5, 2012
It's a great product! I use it for 3-4 years and it has saved me.
It gives a beautiful look, longlasting and it's so easy to use.
Very important: Great for allergic people like me.
HSR is the solution of my problems!
on March 5, 2014
DO NOT purchase this product if your hair color is lighter than dark brown. My hair color is dark auburn, and so I ordered the "light brown" product. It was almost black. When I contacted the seller to ask to exchange for dark blonde instead, I was told that they do not offer that color since it is not popular and that if I hadn't opened the product I received, they would take it back and issue a refund. How would I know that the color was wrong unless I opened it? Duh!!! The product will do what it is supposed to do only if you have very dark hair that you want to fill in.
on January 13, 2013
use it everyday..fast shipping..would recomend to all people with thinning hair..color matches perfectly..greatest product i have found for my hair
on April 9, 2013
I love how this product works. If I didn't use it, you would be able to see my scalp all over the top of my head. It looks so natural. I bought this product because Dr. Oz recommended it. Sometime it does get on my face but I just use a brush to brush it off. After I put it on I hair spray my hair and it looks good all day. I bought a wig but for now this product is doing the job.
on February 17, 2013
It does the job for me.... Getting better at applying it too. I recommend at least to try it out... It's better then thinning that's for sure.
on November 21, 2012
I have always had very thin hair and was getting a bald spot when I got cancer and lost my hair. It came back very thin on top with a bigger bald spot. It has bothered me and I am mortified when the wind blows and exposes it. Well this product does indeed cover up the bald spot. You shake it on and then add your hairspray if you use that. I am sold on this product
on August 20, 2012
Works as expected. Just need to pat down gently, and disguises thinning hair nicely. I had to buy two colors, and that I use a "mix" for my hair. Use sparingly! Thanks, this stuff is great!