Top positive review
16 of 16 people found this helpful
This stuff is really incredible... once you learn how to use it.
on March 1, 2014
I bought this stuff on a lark. I've always had long hair (and still keep it to my shoulders)... but I've needed to keep it in a pony tail for more than a few years now, and even at that it's become harder and harder to hide the fact that my hair is thinning more and more as I get older... pretty much impossible, really. I don't believe I'll ever get a hair transplant or wear a toupee, rather, I aim to just age as gracefully as I can...
I figured, "it's less than $20"... Most of the other hair powders and sprays are a lot more than that. I didn't buy this product with the belief that it would really work; I hoped it would, but I was reservedly pessimistic. It was more of a feeling like I got as a child when I bought a superhero doll and for a brief moment, before I began playing with it, I actually pictured myself flying, or knocking down a brick wall, or whatever. It was a good feeling... it was a fleeting feeling, but a good one. So, I ordered it.
When I first tried this stuff, somehow, I got the application perfect... I was literally in a mild shock. I hadn't told my fiancee about the stuff. I went up to her and said, "do you notice anything different?"... to which she replied, "yeah... what is it, you look healthier or younger, or something?" I then bowed my head down in front of her so she could see the top of my head... "what the?!", she said. She too shared my shock. She then asked if I had a transplant done, got a toupee, etc. Nope. I handed her the jar of this stuff. We were both giddy.
After the first time, however, came the learning curve. Sometimes it was really frustrating getting this stuff to work. I had a few calamities. I'll make a list at the bottom of this review with what I've learned using this stuff. I would say it took a little more than a month to really master the use of this powder and get good results consistently. I've gotten to the point that I can actually wear my hair down! This may not be a big deal to most men, but for me it was awesome. It takes a little more product to make this happen (when compared to the amount I use when my hair is in a pony tail), but so what... the feeling I get when my hair is down makes it worth it. When you master this stuff, it makes it nearly impossible for anyone to know your secret... and although I know I'm fooling myself, when I walk past a mirror, or my reflection, and when I see the way people look at me... it's just the best... from a cheap product that I thought was going to be a joke. Go figure.
If you can't tell, yes, I HIGHLY recommend this product.
This is what I've learned about this product and how to use it:
1) You need to still have hair... this WILL NOT work on absolutely bald spots. You MUST have some hair in the area you are going to treat in order to complete the illusion. Luckily, I'm only thinning and not completely bald... I am thinning quite a bit though.
2) Your hair MUST BE COMPLETELY DRY before you use this stuff... If you use it when your hair is wet/moist, it will clump up and make a terrible mess. So, you'll either need to use a blow-dryer or have some patience.
3) This stuff is MESSY. There's no two but's about it. It is a dust and it drifts everywhere... everywhere. Again, this stuff is cheap and it works, so I don't care... but I can see how an ADHD person would not be able to deal with this. It will also get on your pillow... when you wake up in the morning, you're going to have an obvious dusty spot.
4) For me, one jar lasts about 1 to 1.5 months.
5) The dust will invariably get on your forehead as you apply it... it's important to gently dust off your forehead with a tissue before you use hairspray... trust me on this.
6) You need to use a firm hold hairspray to lock this in well... Then, it's pretty much water and wind resistant.
7) You'll need a good hand mirror to work in tandem with a wall mirror to apply this stuff well.
8) Sometimes it's better to use a brush to pat in the product rather than your hands (which they suggest in their instructions).
This stuff is one of the best surprises I've had in quite a while and I can't endorse it enough... try it!