‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Maclary Gets Chased, November 1, 2005
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
On a lazy day Hairy just wants to lie in the shade and rest. But around the corner comes the peppy and playful Zachary Quack, a small duckling. Hairy Maclary tries to run and hide but the little duck is always close behind no matter where Hairy Maclary goes.

But when Hairy Maclary tries to escape via water he runs into a little trouble. It is then that Hairy Maclary learns that Zachary is more than a simple annoyance. The wet and bedraggled Hairy Maclary slinks off and finally the book ends in a way that makes this the most adorable and endearing of the Hairy Maclary books.

Once again Lynley Dodd combines lyrical verse with adorable characters to come up with a book kids love. Having read quite a few of these book I am impressed with the author's use of language. The language has not been simplified or dumbed down but encourages the growth of vocabulary. Definitely good books to for reading to children or have them read to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific !!!, September 8, 2000
By A Customer
Hairy MacLary is at it again. This time he repeatedly attempts to escape and hide from a pesky duckling until Hairy gets in trouble and is rescued by his new friend. Illustrations are wonderful. My daughter owns all of Ms. Dodds books. They are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling Word Combo, August 7, 2007
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
I spend a lot of time reading kids books. This one is my favorite. Kids love it too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Hairy Maclary books, June 14, 2005
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
My daughter prefers Hairy Maclary's Bone, but this is one of my favorites to read to her. I'm surprised Lynley Dodd is not more known in the US, and I hope more parents discover her delightful books. I am doing my best to spread the word. Wonderful rhythm and rhyme ensure that you won't silently groan in dismay when your child asks you to read this over and over again. All the Hairy Maclary and Slinky Malinky stories are great (though there are a few that are not as favored as the others).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story my toddlers love, June 28, 2011
DocGuy - Paul Pehrson "Doc Guy" (Herriman, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
I have three kids under five, and all three LOVE Harry Maclary, and this book in particular. It is an adorable story that is very well told. The rhymes aren't over the top, but make the book memorable. My oldest practically has the book memorized, and "reads" to the other two. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, Fun, July 26, 2006
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
My 2 year-old daughter and I found this book by accident at the library and immediately loved it. It's a fun read with great illustrations. Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful "Hairy Maclary" adventure, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
Another wonderful book about Hairy Maclary. Well written and illustrated. Was hubby's favorite series of books as a kid in New Zealand. Purchased as a gift for Kindergarten teacher and she was thrilled! Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE Love Lynley Dodd!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
There is something very sweet and fun to Dodd's writing. When I read his books aloud to my children, I must apply my best Aussie accent (which isn't very good) just for effect. It seems the correct thing to do. We adore all of his stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Maclary And Zachary Quack, December 7, 2012
The Hairy Maclary books are wonderful for all kids. A friend gave our children the series, and now our daughter uses them teaching at the Elementary level. My 4yr old nephew loves this book and will receive another in the series for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written, May 2, 2012
This review is from: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack (Paperback)
I can't say enough about this book. It makes you realize how limited the adjectives and adverbs are in American children's books. Dodd presents a fun story and wonderful vocabulary words in delightful meter and rhyme.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack
Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack by Lynley Dodd (Paperback - April 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01