5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, similar to Vampire Academy but WAY better!
Published on July 13, 2012 by PearlySu

After reading the synopsis, I was eager to read HALF-BLOOD and discover this interesting world which looked to be a UF novel of a hybrid vampire-Greek god race. While the mythology set-up was interesting, within 25 pages of reading, it became clear that something kept me from liking this book too much. And what would that be?

This book seemed to be a direct...
Published on September 27, 2011 by Vespi

2.0 out of 5 stars Similarities to Vampire Academy overshadowing and impossible to ignore, September 27, 2011
This review is from: Half-Blood (Covenant) (Paperback)

This book seemed to be a direct clone of the first VAMPIRE ACADEMY book. This was noticeably in the first *25 pages* and grew more and more pronounced as the book progressed. Now I understand that in the world of UF and YA vampire novels, a lot of mythologies and ideas overlap, but this was no mere coincidence. There were literally plot lines and direct phrases lifted from VA. I couldn't believe it. Here are the startling similarities: (**warning: spoilers if you have not read Vampire Academy or Half-Blood)

*Girl is 17-years old, of a halfie race that is considered a lower caste than the superior pure race above her who have power to wield the four elements.

*The halfie race retains incredible physical powers that allow them to battle an evil vampire-like form of their race, who are immensely powerful and drain the blood of the pure and half-race. Young halfies are trained at their race's society-run boarding school, where they train to be deadly guards/protectors to the superior race and slayers of the evil race.

*Girl has been on the run from the school officials for several years due to an unclear danger there Is caught by a hot older guy belonging to the elite group of guards and brought back.

*Girl is almost expelled by headmaster/mistress, but is vouched for by previously mentioned hot guard, who agrees to train with girl every day to make up the years lost in her training.

*Girls apparently has a reputation at school for being a flirt, admits to kissing a lot of guys, but is still a virgin. There is a pretty mean girl who constantly snarks at Girl and tries to get her expelled.

*Which is not hard, because Girl has a fiery personality and doesn't take smack from anyone. Also has problems with rules/authority, constantly gets in trouble/almost expelled.

*Hot guy is a quiet one who rarely smiles and acts all serious/professional most of the time. But the more time Girl spends with hot guy training, he lets out these rare smiles that make Girl's heart race, as she falls for him and he starts falling for her

*Girl gets injured during training. Hot guy insists they step aside as he treat her injuries delicately, while they have Deep Meaningful Conversation.

*There are important political things going on with the political elite, with power-struggles and a small but growing call for new rules/laws between the halfs and full bloods. The half-bloods have no political power or say in politics.

*Girl knocks on door of hot guys room. Commence heavy making out that is interrupted by an important plot point.

* Girl is attacked by fellow acquaintance that has been turned into one of the evil vampire races. Is saved by hot guy.

*Climax occurs at a cabin/cottage far away in the woods. Girl helps save day, then blacks out.

*In the end, hot guy admits he wants to be with Girl, but they can't be together because of their social positions. Cue angst.

Now, these are the similarities I could list off from the top of my head. Although Armentrout's writing is easy and flows nicely, I find it lacking descriptions to detail, such as not enough information is given about the world they live in, it's history, et cetera. I was also bothered by the fact that I recognized entire phrases and sentences from Vampire Academy in the book. Moreover, I find the romance a bit rushed, and the fact that the main character was supposed to be a flirt who has "kissed lots of boys" unbelievable given the small glimpse we get of her interactions with her peers. Overall, I found the book an enjoyable read that was constantly overshadowed by the vastly superior Vampire Academy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and get the original, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Half-Blood (Covenant) (Paperback)
As I was reading this novel I kept wondering why it felt so familiar, after the first three chapters, I realised I was reading Vampire Academy with gods instead of vampires. Everything is just a blatant, unimaginative, uninspired ripoff, if I were this author I
would be ashamed of myself, and if I were Richelle Meade, I'd sue.

****SPOILER ALERT****

Without giving too much away to those who still want to read it, everything, and I mean everything is pretty much the same.

Girl that's a part of a lower caste of half-breed supernaturals training to defend the full blooded? Check.

Broody mysterious Superman type instructor that saves her bacon then agrees to train her so she doesn't fall behind her class year? Check.

Even the scene where Rose and Lissa are dragged before the head of the school with three Guardians in the room that plead on Rose's behalf is duplicated.

And oh dear god, the daimons are former pure-bloods that become daimons when they drain aether from the blood of another pure-blood, much the same way that strigoi become strigoi draining moroi. Even her name for the pure bloods (hematoi) is in the same phonetic family.

I'm sorry that's just pathetic, Richelle Meade put all lot of hard work into VA for someone with less than stellar writing skills to just rip her off.

I fully intend to get refund for this drivel, I will not support plagerism. Some similarities in ya fantasy fiction is to be expected, but this is just a blatant copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, similar to Vampire Academy but WAY better!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Half-Blood (Covenant) (Paperback)
I agree this book does have similarities to Vampire Academy and because of that review I decided not to read it at first. Then after about 12 books and nothing else to read I picked of Half-Blood and I am glad I did. This book is very good and very well written. The first 100 or so page I have to agree, I was super annoyed with the similarities but after that I just settled in and got a really good read. Don't let other reviews sway you. Half-Blood holds its own. Read it and judge it for yourself, but I guarantee you'll like it. I did! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read this year!, September 17, 2011
My summary:

Alexandria or Alex is seventeen-years-old and having a harder time than most teens. Her mother just died before her eyes. Her real dad has been gone for a while. Her step-dad - well let's just say she doesn't trust him. Chasing her way back to the covenant with daimons hot on her trail, she has very few choices. Her only option is to return to the covenant that her mother forced her to leave without explanation 3 years ago. The covenant won't be happy about the absence. They may train her to fight daimons or drug her into servitude. Oh and then there is the little issue of Alex being a half-blood. A mix of Hematoi and mortal, she is only good for fighting or serving as far as the covenant is concerned. Add the gorgeous Aiden, who just happens to be a pure blood and completely off limits to any half-blood, and Alex is really having a hard time. Can she follow the rules and control her crush on Aiden long enough to become a sentinel so she can fight the daimons that killed her mom? Or will her reckless character cause her to fail in her duty and face a future far worse?

My thoughts:

5 stars - A must read

The world that Jennifer creates in Half-Blood is unique in the world of angels and demons. The mixture of aether in the blood determines the class in this society. Pure bloods are full of aether (from the Gods) and have power over one of the four elements. They also had the ability to use compulsions to get others to do what they want. Pure bloods are treated almost as royalty where half-bloods are second class. They have very little aether and no power over the elements. They are faster and stronger than regular human and they can see through the magic to identify pure bloods that have been turned into daimons. Thus they are good fighters so if they are lucky they get to be trained as guards or sentinels. Otherwise they are drugged into servitude. I loved this world not only because it is unique but also because it has many compelling aspects to it. The classing of people has never worked in history so I suspect it will come back to bite this society as well. I am excited to see that happen.

The characters in the book are dynamic and real. Alex has a very strong personality. She doesn't do well with rules yet she lives in a situation that could blow up in her face at any moment if she doesn't follow those rules. Despite this, Alex remains a strong, reckless, and compelling. Aiden is super hot. His pure blood status keeps him off limits to Alex but that doesn't mean she isn't looking. He is strong, mysterious, wounded, and determined to help her. I love his fierce patience with her and his quiet manner. Caleb is the biggest supporting character and he is a great friend to Alex. At first I thought he was a love interest but it became clear quickly that he is just a very supportive friend. Seth comes into the story mid-book and is quite the mystery. There is so much about him that we don't know yet. He is the Apollyon, a half-blood who controls all four elements and more. An incredible fighter, he is a daimons worst nightmare but he has been called back from fighting. He's as interested as anyone why that is the case. There certainly is some strange connection between Alex and him and I love how he gets under Alex's skin. I'm sure there's a lot more to come from Seth.

While the ending isn't a cliffhanger (thank heavens - can my heart take any more of those), things are far from settled. I can't wait for the next book. The problem with reading books before they actually come out is having to wait even longer for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, September 25, 2012
This review has spoilers for both this book and vampire academy.

Ok I know everyone is going around saying this book is exactly like vampire academy. Well I'm here to say that yes there are similarities but this book is its own.

1. Rose and Alex have the same personality, but that's ok in my book because they are great characters.
2. Yes Alex has a thing for her trainer but the age difference isn't as wide.
3. The BIGGEST difference is there is no Lissa. Which in my opinion makes this book it's own because she is a freaking omg huge part in the whole vamp academy series! That's why I find this whole she plagiarizes VA stupid. Rose wouldn't even be alive without Lissa!
4. I've heard Caleb compared to Mason. Stupid. He isn't in love with Alex. He is her best friend and acts like it.
5. The only thing similar between Seth and Adrian is the fact they both have crazy episodes. And Seth's aren't as bad as Adrian's.
6. I've also heard that Alex and Aiden's love scene was the same as Rose and Dimitri, wrong. Alex and Aiden weren't under a spell. Which in my opinion makes it sweeter.
7. Where Rose and Dimitri can be together it's just frowned apon, Alex and Aiden can't because it's illegal.
8. The halfs in this book are nothing more then slaves. Which if you remember in VA the dhampirs aren't slaves if they don't wanna be guardians they don't have to nor do they have to be slaves. And Mia's parents in VA where servants and they were full blood!
9. The pures before being turned into daimons if you recall weren't vampires...unlike VA where the morai are vampires. I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong. Oh well.
10. My other BIGGEST thing is Aiden doesn't remind me of Dimitri. He is younger and less serious. Yeah he likes to read but hey he also plays the guitar. And. No. Leather. Duster.

So I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars. I freely admit it has similarities to VA but not enough I was like I've already read this! For those of you who haven't read this book because of the reviews I would give it a chance. If you still find its to much like VA that's your opinion. Get a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for Jennifer Armentrout fans!, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Half-Blood (Covenant) (Paperback)
There's a reason (actually there are quite a few) why I'm such a big Jennifer Armentrout fan. She adds snark to her characters that are lacking in a lot of other books. Alex is such a smart-ass, always joking and so much fun reading. She's the type of girl you'd want as your best friend. She's incredibly strong-in the sense that she can have everything going wrong in her life but you would never be able to tell looking at her.

My friend has been begging me to read this series for awhile now. It's not that I didn't want to, believe me, I did (I even had these books sitting on my shelf, signed and everything) but the problem was finding the time to read them. I finally caved and what better time than now? I won't have to wait in between books and can read the whole series straight through. I've never been able to do that so I'm glad it's this series I get to read straight through.

I read Daimon before starting Half-Blood, I wanted to read them in order, including the novellas (can I say how much I love how you can get the novellas in print; more publishers should offer this). What I loved about Daimon was it was a more in-depth look to what happened with Alex and her mother, Rachelle, while they were living in Miami, before all broke loose.

I love the idea that Pure-Bloods and Half-Bloods aren't allowed to mix, romantically. That Pure's think Half's are so beneath them, it's s***ty but it's awesome. It gives this whole mystery to everything plus it gives Alex and the immensely good looking Aiden a problem. He's a Pure and she's a Half, there can't be any hanky panky between them or else they'll take it on Alex. But you know . . . rules are meant to be broken sometimes. Aiden is hot and sweet and nothing like I was expecting. He's a bad-ass but a reserved bad-ass because who knew they existed? They do. He's our proof.

I was waiting and waiting and waiting for a character named Seth to appear. I knew the main three characters going in to this series so I was curious to see what he was all about. Let me tell you . . . I was NOT disappointed. Oh man, I think I may like him best. It's too early to tell because I really, really love all these characters. All of them. I really love Caleb, too. Not in the sense of him with Alex or anything but as a character, on a whole. There was a scene in this book that I was literally holding my breath reading and it involved Caleb.

This is a love triangle in the making that I not only don't mind but one I'm really curious about and I cannot wait to read more of. It's kind of weird going in to this series already knowing some stuff but even though I know them I don't want to spoil it for anyone else. The story in this book is tough and I have mad respect for Alex. She's just so awesome I can't even put in to words how much I like her. She's going on my 'girl crush' list which is very small.

There are some really tough decision made in this book; ones that I would never be able to make but this is why I'm the reader - I don't have to be the one doing it. Do I agree with every decision? Absolutely not but hey, we got four more books to go.

I used to like the Greek Gods when I was younger but all the details I learned have become fuzzy over the years; it doesn't make me love books less that involve them, it actually makes me wish I remembered more. But I really do like the premise of this book and the Gods.

Reviewed by Jessica @ Step Into Fiction

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, October 11, 2013
Real rating: 4,5 stars
Half-Blood is awesome! My favorite part of it is definitely the characters. Alex, for one, is badass! Not as badass as Celaena Sardothien (Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight) but hey, you can't have it all.
Caleb too, is a very vivid, very well-defined character, whom I've grown to love.

Aiden, as the love interest is absolutely amazing! I mean, I'm practically in love with him, which I don't think has ever happened to me before?! Maybe because he is just so flawed he seems real, and nothing more. He's a truly good person, and he gets Alex in ways that is unusual in YA.

Seth is a jackass. He seems real, but if so, he is a real JACKASS. YES, I said it!

I see the similarities to VA, which I have read book 1 and 2 of. But then again, there is too many books for any of them to be originals, everything is a cliché, and why should that hold me from enjoying a well-written book? Yes, I've seen it before! I've also read The Hunger Games before, but I still enjoy it every time.

The writing is a rather fine work, and Alex' voice is entertaining as hell. She has humor, I'm not going to deny that.

So...
The reason I only gave it 4,5 stars? Well, I am not sure, but I wouldn't change my rating. It is a great book, with a good plotline and a great worldbuilding, vivid characters that grows throughtout the book, but the thing is, is isn't more than that. It didn't blow me away, it didn't compell me to keep reading, and it took me a few days to finish, even though it is a fairly short book.
I wasn't left breathless, and even though I had the second book right at hand, I didn't just jump onto it. Yes, I am reading it now, but I read other books first, because I just didn't care enough.
So a great read, but nothing more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars JLA is my Hero!, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Half-Blood (Covenant) (Paperback)
I just love it when a book builds a world that I'd do anything to experience! Half-Blood merges Greek mythology with our modern world, resulting in nothing less than electricity!

I absolutely loved the characters--even the girls (which usually get one my nerves b/c they're either too whiney or too perfect). Alex is the perfect heroine--she's snarky, rude, arrogant, yet vulnerable. I loved her attitude toward the world she lives in--it's definitely a love/hate relationship, which provides for great action and romance!

Then there's Aiden--the want-to-get-my-hands-all-over-you pure blood that has my blood boiling!!! The training sessions (and a few other oh la la scenes) were a great backdrop for Armentrout to develop her characters. I found myself wishing for more an more!!!

And the 2nd guy? (Because there's always a second guy, right??) Seth. I don't know what to think about Seth, yet. I am firmly Team Aiden, but something tells me that we are going to learn more (and start swooning over) Seth pretty soon.

There was just enough action riddled with growing relationships and heart-stopping kisses for me to want to turn right back to the beginning and read it all over again!

I can't wait for the second installment to come out! Alex must choose between "a love that is fated and a love that is forbidden." OH! I love it!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aiden, you are the one :), August 17, 2012
I love reading new series that makes me fall in love with them. It just does something to my soul! :D I also have found a new favorite author! Jennifer L. Armentrout, you are amazing! You have given me Daemon (Lux series) and now Aiden...Omg, I'm in swoon mode right now.

The first thing about this book that caught my attention was the fact that it had something to do with mythology. I didn't know how deep in went into it, but I new I had to read it. And the fact that a lot of my fellow book bloggers adore this series :) So, me being me, I had to see what all the hype was about.

AIDEN! I love him so much :) I fell for him the first moment he step on the scene. His whole persona drew me into his character from the start. Alex, it took me a minute to really like her. At first I thought she was a tad bit whiny, but then I started to sympathize for her because I don't know if I could have handled the situation as well as she did (the whole thing with her mom). She was a strong willed character and I really like that about her. Plus, her attitude! Who doesn't like a smart mouth female lead?! I sure do!

The chemistry between Aiden and Alex...(fanning myself) If something else doesn't happen between those two, I will freak out and start a riot! On another note, I don't know how I feel about Seth. *pauses for a minute*, idk. But I just don't know how to feel about him. Alex, you better not! And who doesn't like Caleb :) He's the bestest best friend a girl could have :D He was just too cute.

I highly recommend this series! It was action packed and suspenseful, with some amazing romance :D The story line was awesome AND there was Aiden. So what can be more better than that?!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite young adult series, August 13, 2012
Although the main female character is annoying (to me at least), of all the young adult books I've read so far, Aiden is my favorite male lead. It is so nice to come across a strong male character that doesn't have to be rude or obnoxious to get his point across. Interesting storyline and world the author has created. My only complaint is that I can't imagine that any pure would be careless enough to get pregnant to a non-pure with the possible consequence of having their child going in to servitude. I really love this series and can't wait to see what happens next.

Half-Blood (Covenant)
Half-Blood (Covenant) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Paperback - October 18, 2011)
$9.95 $9.61