5.0 out of 5 stars mason jars
Published on October 17, 2008 by EAD45

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Packaging Protection
Half gallon canning jars are not an easy item to find locally. I had no choice but to consider an online purchase.
I've ordered from several reputable companies handling products in glass containers with no problems. I figured a big name outfit like Amazon or Ball Mason Jars would have the ability to ship EMPTY glass jars with some degree of success.

I WAS...
Published on July 18, 2011 by Mr. Natural's son

5.0 out of 5 stars mason jars, October 17, 2008
EAD45 (NY United States) - See all my reviews
After spending more time than I wanted trying to get rid of pantry moths and tossing out dry foods, I decided to try these jars. Loved them. Used for cereals, oatmeal, flours, rice, etc. They are great. Right into the dishwasher and you always can tell the amount you have left. My pantry is now moth free and very organized looking. Out with the new plastics and in with the old jars.

5.0 out of 5 stars They must be good. Im ordering them AGAIN!, March 28, 2008
Kat on Kindle "book addict" (Warren, Michigan, United States) - See all my reviews
They arrived promptly unbroken. I use these for canning, and storing dry goods. They seal with a vacuum sealer. You can also buy sprouting lids on amazon that will fit wide mouth canning jars. As soon as I open chips, crackers or cookies I put that in a jar. It keeps insects away AND makes it more likely to consume only a small portion. Store your powdered milk, flour, sugar, tea leaves, coffee beans, dried beans, and pasta in these. Make up in batches your favorite baking mixes and add to these jars. Store dried fruit and vegetables here. I keep a LARGE jar of dried onions and one of dried mushrooms to use in soups and sauces such as for spaghetti. If your remotely thinking about buying these, buy one set of 6. You will wonder what you did without them. Its difficult these days to find an item for a bit over a dollar apiece, 10 for a set of 6. that is THIS useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't use them for canning..., January 7, 2006
E. Eskam (Reston, VA United States) - See all my reviews
...I use them with my FoodSaver vacuum sealer! These jars are perfect for anything from grated cheese, flour, sugar, nuts, oats, cereal, chips - anything you can think of that is bulky.

They work exceptionally well with grated cheese - I like to buy 2lb blocks of Tillamook cheddar, get out the food processor and grate the whole block. Then store in the jars in the fridge. Vacuum sealed, the grated cheese will keep for over a month easy, without drying out or molding. Cheaper than the pre-grated, and less preservatives too.

Love my wide-mouth jar attachment in conjunction with these Ball canning jars...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Canning Jars But Bad Price-Just Bought them for $11.99 at ACE Hardware, December 3, 2011
I always thought Amazon was giving me a deal until I found out just now with 2 items that I purchased less than a month ago. I just wish I could return these bottles because I just purchased 2 cases for $11.99 each. Also, if you purchase them for ACE Hardware online they will send them to a local ACE store at free shipping. I was fortunate to have oneof the stores on the less than 5 minutes away from when I am living.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, October 20, 2011
Length:: 1:19 Mins

Showing you how I use my jars...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pantry storage!, March 31, 2011
Beth (United States) - See all my reviews
I love these for pantry storage! I often buy baking goods in bulk as I bake a lot and I pack them in these jars as soon as I get home. They're great for everything from sugar and flour to pasta, rice, crackers, cereal, dried fruits, and chocolate chips.

I use them with the plastic lids, which I find easier when accessing the jars frequently. The wide mouths are easy to fill and wash. I also like the wide mouths for baking ingredients such as sugar (not flour), as you can easily fit a 1/4 or 1/3 cup measuring cup through the mouth to scoop. It makes it so much easier than having to get out a spoon and fill a larger cup, it's just scoop and go. Identifying what is in each jar is as simple as just looking at it, but if you need to label similar looking items I've found that the 3/4 inch black text on clear tape from the Brother label makers does a beautiful job and easy to remove from the jars yet holds up well during hand washing if you'd prefer to leave it on.

I've found them excellent for storing dry pantry staples, especially during the summer, to prevent any humidity or critter damage. Everything comes out of them just as fresh as the day I put it in. There is no more stale cereal or clumpy sugar. I also love the way my pantry looks when I have shelves lined with the jars as everything is uniform and you can quickly see how much you have of what.

As for size, I've found that a 10 pound bag of granulated sugar fits in three jars. A 10 (perhaps 12) pound bag of rice fits in three jars as well. About two pounds of pasta (depending on the shape) fits in one jar. A box of cereal usually takes up two jars. A box of snack crackers easily fits in one jar. So, you can see that you can really fit quite a bit in a jar.

I highly, highly recommend these!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do your research folks., August 6, 2011
I just bought two cases of 6 half gallon jars from Amazon for $19.59 each. Then, on my next trip into a local family owned grocery I saw the exact same Ball product regularly priced at $9.79 per case of 6. I got taken royally by Amazon. Free shipping indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Half Gallons, February 6, 2012
After being unable to buy these locally, I was pleased to find them on Amazon. Half gallon jars aren't a regular size that is carried, and can be very hard to find. I am using these with Ball Wide-Mouth Plastic Storage Caps to transport and store raw milk that I purchase locally. Since I have a food sealer, I am using the FoodSaver T03-0023-01 Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer for the dry items I store.

If you are considering canning this size of jar, they are wider and taller than my quart jars and do not fit my large water bath canner. They will sit in the bottom, but are too tall to cover with water. At the same time, they will fit in my very oversized pressure cooker (which can also be used as a water canner if you don't seal the top. Mirro 22-Quart Polished Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner. If you want a comparison, they are almost as tall as a gallon of milk, although they are very narrow.

These are nice jars, with the fruit on the side, and if you use them for storage, they will look pretty on your shelf, even with basics stored inside of them. They are marked with measurements on the side.

At the time I purchased these, they were only available through Ace, and I was pleased to give them an excellent rating as well, since they stayed in touch with me every step of the process.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Packaging Protection, July 18, 2011

I WAS WRONG!

Some very simple and inexpensive reinforcement of the package containing only Two Cases of Six Half Gallon Mason Jars and all Twelve Jars might have survived. Instead Three of the corner jars were broken.

Amazon might have a really easy return policy but the USPS won't ship damaged packages. So I would have to repackage the broken glass into a new and more substantial box at my own personal expense just to return the damaged goods.
Totally unacceptable from my viewpoint.

I've filed a packaging feedback report with a photo several days ago and still waiting to receive so much as an email acknowledging my complaint.
There is no phone number to call. There is no complaint department. You're at the mercy of an automated system that must get the attention of a human worker. This is a frustrating situation and the only time Amazon has dropped the ball, but they seemed to have lost the ball too.
Caveat Emptor!

3.0 out of 5 stars decent jars for price, for water Kefir, but BPA lids, and Metallic taste?, November 1, 2012
Hey, I have been enjoying the jars, for the most part, however, what type of metal are the lids? I use this for brewing water kefir. I do not use any metal utensils to stir or anything because I know it is reactionary, especially with aluminum. I like to do two different processes. For the second fermentation in which I put the lid on to let the kefir carbonate, sometimes the kefir begins to taste like blood - its a metallic taste, that's really the best way to describe it. It's awful and it hurts my teeth and makes me wince. Absolutely ruins the kefir. I find the less acidic the kefir is, the less I have the problem. I do the secondary fermentation for about 2-3 days and let out the built up C02 about once per day with this method and my theory is that when the kefir fizzes up, it touches some of the metal from the lid, reacts with it, and then drops back down. I think this would only make sense though if the lids were aluminum and I feel like a company that makes canning jars would be smart enough to know that acids can cause nickel to release into the product. I can't believe that this information is not available. I'm appalled actually that I can't just look up online what kind of metal the lid is. This information should be free to consumers.

Also I'm a little disturbed that there is BPA in the lids. Very disconcerting especially since I'm creating a chemical process that makes other chemicals leech out into my product. I mean, seriously, after all the trouble I've gone through to get ORGANIC ingredients for health reasons, and then there is a potential carcinogen in the lid of my jar. The irony. I think this is morally reprehensible to include this chemical into a product used to STORE FOOD!!! Haha, but don't get me started. From now on I will be brewing the Kefir in a one stage process without the lid on. I will put the flavoring ingredients in organic muslin bags so that it doesn't mix with the grains, and then I will bottle it and let the bottles sit out for a while in order to carbonate. This seems like a safer option and would hopefully solve the issue with the BPA and the metallic taste. Hope this review is enlightening to someone.

Half Gallon Wide Mouth Canning Jar - 64 Oz (Set of 6)
$12.49 $10.99
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.