5.0 out of 5 stars A great, very listenable debut.
I have all 3 Sum 41 albums and I have to say, this is my favourite. It is one of those albums that you can listen to throughout without skipping any tracks. It is a great album, containing a mixture of mainly pop-punk and some heavy metal instrumental songs. Here is my review of each song:
1. Grab The Devil By The Horns - 5/5 - A great start to the album with this...
Published on October 10, 2003 by Sum 41 Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars A brief look back into Sum 41's brief discography
What Sum 41's first album brings to the table is a small collection of pop-punk masterpieces. Three of the songs are instrumental filler (even though they're good), and one of them's sort of a joke (T.H.T.), but this is just flat out fun and it was served as an appetizer for All Killer No Filler, which brought out the best in them.
The album begins with an Iron...
Published on April 16, 2004 by Sven_96

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, very listenable debut., October 10, 2003
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
1. Grab The Devil By The Horns - 5/5 - A great start to the album with this minute-long Iron Maiden style improvision. Heavy and gripping.
2. Machine Gun - 3˝/5 - A change to pop-punk and a good, fun song. Good to sing along to, especially in the "na na na na na", which is funny.
3. What I Believe - 4/5 - One of Sum 41's most underestimated songs. Good guitars at start and again good to sing along to.
4. T.H.T - 3/5 - A bit of a joke song, lasting less than a minute and containing extremely fast singing. Not bad, but not good either.
5. Makes No Difference - 5/5 - The single from Half Hour of Power and a great song. Introduction makes you interested and the song just gets better from there.
6. Summer - 5/5 - Another great song, included on All Killer No Filler. Fast guitars and drums. Good to sing along to, especially in the chorus.
7. 32 Ways To Die - 3˝/5 - A minute and a half instrumental containing an unbelievable drum solo from Steve. Guitars help to make this good as well.
8. Second Chance For Max. Headroom - 5/5 - The best song on the album in my opinion. Highly singable and enjoyable. Changes somewhat with horns later on, and then back again.
9. Dave's Possessed Hair / It's What We're All About - 5/5 - Both songs on this track are great, especially the former, which is about their former bass player. But why two songs on one track?
10.Ride The Chariot To The Devil - 3/5 - Quite an unnecessary track, given that there had already been 2 instrumentals. Not bad though.
11.Another Time Around - 3˝/5 - A decent conclusion to the album. Chorus is highly singable. Unbelievable drum and guitar bonanza lasting a whole minute signals the end of a great album.
Overall, an excellent debut from Sum 41, the only downside being its poor length of 26 minutes. But that's okay, because in those 26 minutes you will hear so many good songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT DEBUT FOR SUM 41, November 1, 2004
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite debut albums but it didn't really move Sum 41 up higher but there 2nd release did so we don't need to worry. This and there 4th release are more punk/metal then there 2nd and 3rd albums but every cd from them is worth the money. This is a very good cd. What I like about this cd is the amount of guitar and drum solos in each song. There are lot's of them and some are almost or a whole song. The drumming for track 7 is cool. This contains some of my favorite Sum 41 songs like Makes No Difference and What We're All About. The vocals aren't as great as there newer releases but it's still good. I recommend any fans of punk/rock/metal to pick up this cd. You'll never put it down.

TRACK RATINGS:

8.Second Chance For Max Hedroom-(3:51)-10/10

9.Dave's Possessed Hair/It's What We're All About-(3:47)-10/10

10.Ride the Chariot-(:54)-10/10

11.Another Time Around-(3:22)-10/10

3.0 out of 5 stars A brief look back into Sum 41's brief discography, April 16, 2004
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
The album begins with an Iron Maiden-esque instrumental, which quickly slides into Machine Gun, one of the better songs on this short album. After What I Believe, another good song, it gets to Makes No Difference, the hit single from this album. After an incredible drum solo from Steve on 32 Ways To Die, in gets to Second Chance For Max Headroom. This is without a doubt the best song on the album, simply because it adds a hint of ska. The rest of the album is a few more pop-punk songs, and another instrumental, and the brief disc comes to a close.
What's funny about this is that they actually extended Another Time Around from its usual time 3:22 to 6:52, giving us three and a half minutes of silence just so it can get the duration up to half an hour. Also, I'm glad Dave changed his name from Hot Chocolate to Brown Sound. Cuz the name Hot Chocolate - well, it just sucks. Anyways, I'm recommending this to middle schoolers, simply because you'll grow out of it by high school. Or not...

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, October 25, 2000
Ben Severson (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
Sum 41 rocks, and so does this album. Yes, it is only half an hour long, but it's dirt cheap too--they haven't sold out, and hopefully they never will. "Makes No Difference" is a great song, but I think that "What I Believe" and "Another Time Around" are just as good, if not better. Sum 41 does resemble Blink 182's "Dude Ranch," which I think is one of the best albums ever, so if you liked Blink before they sold out, you'll probably like "Half Hour of Power" too. And if you're still not sure, you can go to their official site, and download a mix of their best songs in mp3 format.

4.0 out of 5 stars These Canadiens Rawk!!, April 28, 2001
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
Poppy,energetic,funny,melody-driven,hook-filled,and furiious are all words to describe this new punk band from Canada.Not one bad song on this cd featuring three awesome guitar and drum solo tracks,Grab the Devil By The Horns And **** Up the ***(the best one),Ride the Chariot to the Devil,and 32 Ways to Die.Here are my favorite tracks in order:1.Makes No Difference:Catchy,catchy, catchy,catchy,catchy!!!!! - 2.Summer:A Blink-ish tune that should be on the radio! - 3.Machine Gun:Appropriate title to this song that you can mosh to but it's still very melodic underneath the spit-filled vocals and cazy Iron Maiden-esque guitars. - 4.Dave's Possessed Hair/It's What We're All About:Fast and catchy like the rest of the album but features a rap duo with everyone in the band near the end. - 5.Second Chance for Max Headroom:Energetic tune with some nice harmonies.NOTE:If you like Blink 182 than you're stupid if you don't buy this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUM 41 RULES!, February 13, 2001
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
This is a great punk rock CD! Forget Blink 182! Sure, these guys sound like them but are much better. "Makes No Difference" was the reason I got this CD but all the songs are good so if you like punk rock or blink 182 get this CD. It's cheap so don't worry about wasting your money. As long as you like punk you won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Way Better Cd Than The New One, July 3, 2001
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
I just bought the new Sum 41 Cd " All Killer No Filler ", which is a great CD but in my opinion " Half Hour of Power " is so much better. Every single song on this CD is great. Starting from an awesome instrumental which reminds me of Ozzy's Iron Man " Grab The Devil..." to a great catchy song " Makes No Difference " to " Another Time Around ." If you already have the new CD..buy this CD...you won't be disapointed. If you looking for some catchy lyrics and awesome guitar riffs....I recomend this CD very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have finally found a CD better than Blink182's Enema CD!!, September 14, 2001
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
I Have now changed my favourite band from Blink182 to Sum41 because overall the two Sum41 CD's are better than the six Blink182 CDs. However, this may change depending on what new albums those bands release in the future.
If you find yourself jamming on to Blink182 and Fenix TX music solos then you will LOVE this CD. I like background music. And the background music to this CD is so spectacular it is not even funny. In fact it is mostly music. I like how track 6, 7, + 8 are really all one song. The same applies to track 9+10. However, track 10 is just wrapping up track 9 music wise. Everything about this CD is spectacular. Even the intro!! In fact I think the intro is better than a lot of other tracks on the CD.
When I first heard this CD a while ago. I knew just how great it was but I didn't get it because that kid was gonna burn it for me but that's another story. I originally thought it was a bunch of songs with the same style as Enema's "Don't leave me" and Dumpweed. However, that is SO not true. This doesn't sound just like Blink182 however it is similar. If you liked Don't Leave me off of Enema or Ben off of the self titled Fenix Tx CD then you MUST I repeat you MUST buy this CD. The only thing is Sum41's hits make no sense. They are their worst songs!! I mean they are fantastic songs but don't compare to the rest of their songs. Oh well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pop Punk, dont analyze or compare., February 2, 2001
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
Look at all these reviewers, analyzing and comparing Sum 41. First of all its punk, maybe pop-punk, but punk nontheless, do you think the Ramones were trying to write music in need of analysis, do you think Black Flag was trying to were trying to make music you need to break down to get the gist of? NO. Punk, pop punk especially, is simple music, and in the case of Sum 41's "Half Hour of Power", it is simple, catchy, with some incredible hooks. It opens sounding like an old Brittish Iron Maidenish metal song, and the good times roll on from there. Songs like "Makes No Difference", "Summer", and "What I Believe" are radio material, but will never get the play because of the huge musical barrier that MTV has set up. Another great thing about the album is its seperation of humour from the songs. All funny songs are seperated, in there own place, and there are only like two satyrical songs to begin with, the opener, and "Its What We're all About", a Beastie Boys/ Kottonmouth Kings immatation that is just marvelous. Sum 41 is poppy, but they dont need to put on a big immature act like other bands, bands that rhyme with Dink Fun-Maity-Chew, those guys ..., don't even make that comparison.

4.0 out of 5 stars An actually decent cd., October 30, 2005
Dave (Colleyville, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Half Hour of Power (Audio CD)
I'm going to start off this review by saying: I hate Sum-41. I don't like them. "All Killer, No Filler" was boring pop-punk, and the contagious scene phase has also hit the now black haired Sum-41 kids with "Chuck".

Anyways, this cd is great. After hearing the clips I decided to check it out, and damn, it is the best of their 4 cds. Sounds like good Nofx at some points. In some of the songs his voice even reminds me of Milo Aukerman (Descendents). If you're into new Sum-41 I'm sure you will like this. Although it might sound a little gritty to you, it's definatly worth the money. Even if you hate Sum-41 still check this cd out, you might enjoy it. I did.

Half Hour of Power
Half Hour of Power by Sum 41 (Audio CD - 2000)