5.0 out of 5 stars An AWESOME Book
I recently finished Half Way Home by Hugh Howey and absolutely loved it!!! Hugh Howey is a relatively new author who I think has tons of potential. I've also read the other books by him, the Molly Fide series, and really enjoyed them too. I really can't say enough good things about them.

Half Way Home is set in a futuristic world where colonies of people are...
Published on April 27, 2011 by MCA Students READ!

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this story
I enjoyed the overall premise of this book. An artificial AI is tasked with beginning the colonization of a new world or destroy the colonists as embryos. And something goes wrong leaving a small group of colonists on a new world to figure out what to do, and what happened.

Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An AWESOME Book, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Half Way Home (Paperback)

Half Way Home is set in a futuristic world where colonies of people are sent out to explore planets and are born as full grown adults. We follow a group of young people who were "born" too soon, only halfway through their training for their jobs in the new colony. The main character, Porter, struggles with his own emotions as he accidently becomes the leader of a group that has broken off from the main colony. This second group goes on an exploration mission and discovers the true, dark reason their mission was nearly aborted.

I really like the way the plot and the characters were developed. In some books by other authors I've read, I've felt I didn't get to know the people well enough. In this book, I really felt that I knew Porter and Kelvin and Tarsi. I felt their pain, their losses, and their happiness. I loved the pacing as well. The story didn't move too fast that your head was spinning, but I never felt it dragged. I hate to use this old line, but here it is: I laughed, I cried, I loved it!!!

I would recommend this book to older teens and adults. There are some pretty mature themes in this book, such as homosexuality, abortion, and fairly graphic death. I would only recommend this book to mature people who would be able to handle this.

This book is definitely unique. I have a hard time coming up with a point of comparison in books. This book is remotely similar to Star Trek, but even that is a stretch. It is about exploring a new planet with new creatures and a "crew" of sorts, but it is definitely different and worth reading. It is not only well-written, but thought provoking as well. It's a "make you think" book, one that I would certainly read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Howey Can Tell A Story!, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Half Way Home (Paperback)
Are in into Sci-Fi? I can truely say it's not my favorite genre of books but, Hugh Howey is quickly turning me into a Sci-Fi lover.
I was first sucked into Hugh's writing with the Molly Fyde series. Those stories are awesome and I've yet to finish the last two books. (Shame on me)

Recently I read Howey's "Half Way Home", and I could not believe how much of a story Hugh put into this small novel. I was lost in the first few pages, as per usual with Hugh's books. The adventure begins immediately. Don your spacesuit and your mode of travel and let's go for a ride.

We are on a planet that was to be inhabited by a race of humans planted there. They are grown in vats, and each taught a certain occupation that will help on their goal to "settle" the planet and make it home. Only this time there is a problem and this group is aborted at age 15. Only half grown. Only half trained. Many die a fiery death. But a group of teens make it out alive and must now figure out how to manage, how to cope, how to live and learn on their new home.

I encountered young people with the perservence to try. No matter what odds lay ahead they were hell bent on attacking them head on. You'll meet Vinnie's in this story, a strange animal that I'd love to go for a ride on, and trees a mile or more high. You'll encounter metal worms that if you happen to be in their path, you'll be mincemeat. And you will learn what friendship means and the will of survival.

The story just overflowed with adventure, trials and tribulations and best of all a great lesson to be learned on being different, being determined and surviving against all odds.

Hugh Howey has done it again with an excellent story that I will definitely reread.

Now, I ask...how is the group doing? What's going on in their lives. How's the population now? I think I need another story from those that survived. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, well written, a little slow, January 24, 2012
Niall (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
TL;DR:
+ Great SciFi survival novel
+ Well written
- A little slow

I found Hugh Howey through the Wool series of novella's and I loved them to bits.
Similar to Wool, this book grabbed me from the start. And unlike a lot of kindle authors, Hugh has/is a great editor. You won't be annoyed by word repetition or poor spelling.
Unlike Wool this book feels a little dragged out in parts, I enjoyed the character development but I also found myself speed reading and muttering "come on" occasionally.
If you enjoy Scifi novels, survival stories or any combination of the two, then you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Hooked On Howey!, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Half Way Home (Kindle Edition)
After reading all 5 "Wool" books (and loving them), I decided to read another book by Hugh Howey. I chose "Half Way Home" and I think it's another gem. The concept of this book is awesome and it's also beautifully written. The attempted human colonization of a distant planet has been covered many times by many authors, but not quite like this. Think "Lord of the Flies on a Hostile Planet" and you will get some feel for this book. I've been reading SciFi for over 50 years and I found "Half Way Home" to be exceptional. Pass me a vinnie cutlet and some bombfruit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Half Way Home (Kindle Edition)
After reading Wool 1-5 and the first of the Molly Fyde series I was looking for another short novel to read. Half Way Home (like all of Hugh's works) is a nice length, I read it on one cloudy Saturday.

Hugh creates artful stories, characters you love, and plots that keep you reading more.

Since I know Hugh reads his reviews I also want to share that I cried at the end of the prologue. Hugh's stories can be read as fantasy adventures through new worlds or as deep insights into the world we have already created for ourselves. True sci-fi and true awesomeness.

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this story, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Half Way Home (Kindle Edition)

I enjoyed this story, but I am hard pressed to give it more than three stars since I typically give books I really enjoy 4 stars, and the rare gem that knocks me off my feet 5 stars. So, I give this book three stars, but I would still recommend it and I did enjoy the book. Mr. Howey develops an intriguing story with characters that you really connect with, just as he has in every other book I have read by him. Hugh Howey has become one of my favorite authors, and if you have read other works by him you will certainly enjoy this one. If this is your first Howey book, I would recommend grabbing Wool or digging into the Molly Fyde series first, simply so you will have the best experience Howey can give you with his stories, then grab this one just to spend some more time exploring more of what Hugh Howey has crafted.

***********SPOILERS********************

This was a good read from Mr. Howey, but I felt that the main characters overall sexual identity conflict actually detracted from the story as a whole. I felt it was simply placed there to 'make a point' rather than really shaping and developing the story as a whole. I also don't know if the whole 'abort' process is intended to parallel the current abortion trends in the world, but Mr. Howey also makes this connection though in a far more subtle manner that felt right.

4.0 out of 5 stars another great by Hugh, BUT......., March 23, 2012
This review is from: Half Way Home (Paperback)
Let me start out by stating that Hugh Howey is an AMAZING writer, and after reading the Omnibus of the Wool series was jumping up and down to read another book by Hugh. I decided to pick up "Half Way Home". Besides being a bit slow in the beginning, jumped into action quickly.The Caricatures developed well,and Porter develops into the main personality quickly . I rarely review books, but read constantly . That being said, Porters personality developed in a way that kept me "dreading" what he may do next. Not real comfortable about his social preferences(though not his design,as you will see). I will not be a spoiler, and reveal what happens, but it sort of threw the story off a bit for me. I may get slammed for being a bit "Socially backward", but this is the reason I gave only 4 stars. Overall, the book was brilliant as only Hugh Howey can do , but as the book developed,in my opinion, it distracted from the story line for me, and was unnecessary to make this a great read.My opinion only, and will still read all Hugh's books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Soft Sci-Fi, July 20, 2012
****No spoilers****

This book primarily consists of a man vs man plot - that just so happens to take place on a distant planet. Setting up the story was great but then reading at times became a chore. The planet & creatures take a back seat while the focus is mostly about thoughts, dialogue & feelings. The geography of the planet is very simple but somewhat hard to imagine. The language is fairly elementary and the story pace was fairly flat (didn't get creepily slow, fast or dangerous) The plot although having a great start, eventually becomes boring and confusing because it changes.

There is a very, very light instance of homosexuality.

I don't know why this book has so many positive ratings. I would not recommend this book to adventurous Sci-Fi readers.

****Spoilers****

The book had a great start and was able to bring me right in. Planetary ships carrying blastocysts, landing on strange planets with unknown creatures, populating those planets only to eventually send out new ships. Oh yeah, I'm in.

Then, it all falls apart.
First, kids were raised in tubes for 15 years, learning via virtual programs only to be born with the vocabulary to curse like a typical 15 year old.

Second, what exactly was the plot of this story? I first thought it was survival of those who were alive. Then it was going out in the wild to the mountains to start a new life. Finally it was running back to camp on some moral imperative to stop the evil company from finding out how to create a monster that eats metal & craps gold?

Third, I don't care to read about a 15 year old boy getting a hard-on - homosexual or not.

Finally, the creatures & landscape were boring. Small harmless caterpillars, big black harmless stampeding caterpillars and a metallic creature that eats metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Sweet Home, March 20, 2012
Dr. Amour (The Frozen Tundra) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Half Way Home (Kindle Edition)
I "discovered" author Hugh Howey with his Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) series, and promptly fell in love with his writing. I am not normally a reader of Science Fiction, but he has managed to convince me to give the genre a second look.

In Half Way Home, he gave us the wonderful, rich character of the reluctant leader Porter. The depth of his character, his personality, his inherent loneliness amongst his closest friends, is alone worth the read.

The story shows us, that despite our education, training and background "people will always be people" and "The Man" will always try to screw you over.

I look forward to reading more of Hugh's writing for many years to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing..., September 28, 2013
This review is from: Half Way Home (Kindle Edition)
Read the Silo series and immensely enjoyed it. I was hoping Half Way Home would be equally entertaining, however, it wasn't even close, in terms of story content or character development.

ARRAY(0x971d6618)

Half Way Home
Half Way Home by Hugh Howey (Paperback - May 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $6.20