5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful
I use Halliwells along with Maltin to help me decide what films to buy. Both are very helpful. The Halliwells covers a much smaller number of movies; it is more selective.
Published on June 20, 2012 by Glen

1.0 out of 5 stars A Travesty
Published on February 10, 2010 by Hal Skelly

1.0 out of 5 stars A Travesty, February 10, 2010
This review is from: Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter (Paperback)
As the previous reviewer said, the introduction to this book makes it clear that it is a replacement of the Halliwell's Movie Guide that film buffs have known and loved for years. That guide has been where I go first when I hear about a film being released on DVD or scheduled for TV. This book is a slur on the legacy of Halliwell -- you will look in vain for the obscure, little-known or forgotten film. Yes, the market is changing. But I have to believe there are still those who want an "ultimate" guide to movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE SAME HALLIWELL'S AS WE'VE KNOWN, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter (Paperback)
This is the 2009 edition (or rather substitution) of Halliwell's Film Guide and it is drastically different from previous years. It contains only 2,800 movie reviews: about 350 from 2007 and early 2008, 2,000 from 1988-2006, and some 500 prior to 1988. By comparison, the 2008 edition had 24,000 reviews. The Guide now reminds me of an annual update to a print encyclopedia. The title is a misnomer as there are many films included that do not matter and many old movies absent that do. I feel very short changed by paying $33 for 2,800 film reviews. Videohound has nearly 30,000 reviews and can still be purchased for less than $20.

Because there are less reviews, the page layout is very good and easy to read. The reviews remain generally excellent as well. I have always liked Halliwell's stinginess of stars awarded for rating films, and this remains (films are rated from zero to four stars). However, I hope the 2010 edition goes back to full size so all our favorite films from the past are in one book again.

3.0 out of 5 stars for the beginning movie buff, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter (Paperback)
I have had Halliwell guides for years but did not know this abreviated edition.
It's okay, I used the copies I bought as gifts for some friends not as wrapped
up in data and film arcana as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, June 20, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable selection aid, March 15, 2012
This review is from: Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter (Paperback)
I use both Maltin's and Halliwell's reviews for selecting quality films. Halliwells has around 350 films it characterizes with its top rating. Of those, Maltin give its top rating to about half. That gives me a pretty good list to collect against...sort of a best of best. I have about half of that. Many of these films are available on DVD for less than $10. A few are hard to come by and/or
are out of my price range ($20 or more). It is not at all necessary to have them all. It is helpful to be able to buy films of great quality sufficient unto the needs of me and mine. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for movie fans, April 2, 2011
Joseph Tedesco (Belleville, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter (Paperback)
The title may seem a bit stuffy or self-satisfied but it's not far from the mark. The information for each film is abundant - everything you'd possibly care to know and then some, all in remarkably concise form. While it doesn't claim to present all films, or even all of the greatest films, you probably won't mind given the size and weight of this hefty publication. A British production, it admits to favoring England's films while including generous offerings from everywhere else. The main review for each is a lesson in succinct expression and is usually followed by equally succinct and sometimes contradictory comments from other noteworthy sources. A can't miss gift for the movie fan in your life.

Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter
Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter by David Gritten (Paperback - December 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.77