Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hallmark Card Studio for Mac
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on August 2, 2010
After using Hallmark card studio for many years on the PC, I was excited to learn they manufactured a version for the Mac. Disappointment soon followed. They just issued a patch to correct the scrambling of the words & letters on the greeting cards. With that fixed the greeting cards are okay until you print them out. Printing is a hassle when as stated by another consumer, you can't tell if you are printing a half or quarter fold size until print is selected. Irritating not knowing what size card you are working with until the final step.

Printing envelopes can be a challenge. It took me 4 tries to print a half fold card correctly. Selecting a blank half fold envelope is the easy part as the description underneath each type of envelope is clearly stated. Printing is a whole other story. From my computer I had to change some settings in the print box area and then had to change other settings from my printer. After 2 different attempts, 4 tries each, I finally was able to have the address, return address, and graphics laid out properly. Save the envelope for future use.

Projects: Calendars: sad, very sad. There are only 2 pre-designed calendars to choose from. You are not able to change the checkered board color all at the same time as you are with the PC version. You can only change one color box at a time; again, very time consuming. You are not able to expand the calendar grid area to fill the entire page, you're stuck with the initial layout. The Blank version of the calendar is okay except for the fact it does not have checker board squares around each individual date like most calendars do and this can not be added in any way. If lines are not an issue for you, you will like the blank calendar. There are no "mini calendars" (month before & month after present month) to insert either.

The Hallmark home page states the software having "Exclusive Hallmark Fonts & Sentiments." As per past versions you are able to add a selected sentiment to a blank card or change the one in a pre-designed card. Not with this version. There are no grouped (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) sentiments to select from to add to a card or any other project. A major disappointment. The home page has since been corrected and now states: "Exclusive Hallmark Fonts." Hallmark indicated to me that they were not looking to duplicate the PC version for the Mac, but produced a unique Card Studio software for the Mac...first attempt has failed.

The Hallmark fonts, which are many, are displayed in a drop down menu all in one font. You have to apply the selected font to the card or project before you know how it looks. It would of been nice if Hallmark would of displayed the fonts in the drop down menu as they would appear on your project to save time.

The Graphic selection is very nice and many to choose from. The ability to take a picture using iCam and importing it into a project is a very nice feature.

There is no Event Calendar because iCal basically has the same features. This was stated to me by tech support.

You can not design a blank postcard, notecard, invitation, announcement, or stationary; However, you are able to change the pre-designed cover on these by deleting the cover and adding a graphic or photo of your own. In order to center the new graphic on the project (notecard) you have to click on "arrange" from the menu bar and in two separate steps select center horizontally and then select center vertically. There is not an option to do both at the same time. The only right click options you have from your mouse is the following: Bring to front, Send to back, Move forward, Move backward, Group, and Ungroup.

My personal thought is that Hallmark failed in its attempt to manufacture a software compatible for Mac computers. They have discredited there loyalty to there customers for a sound product with user friendly ability. I hope Hallmark will sit down with their past versions of Card Studio for PC's and compare the functionality between the two products. This was an hurried attempt to manufacture a highly requested product from Mac users. It in is my hopes that Hallmark will dedicate themselves to fixing many issues and making the next Mac version equal to the PC version in all aspects.

Hold off purchasing until an updated version is released and reviews are written about it. If you have purchased this software and are as disappointed in it as I am, contact 818-591-6245, ask for the senior product specialist and ask for a return. I have returned my copy and have pre-ordered the New & Improved Printmaster 2011 for Mac/PC. I have read quite a few negative reviews on past versions of PrintMaster and hope this new version has been greatly improved for the Mac. I have used PrintMaster on my PC a few years ago and loved it; lets hope the New Features and Improvements stated on PrintMaster's homepage are true.
1717 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 21, 2010
A year or so ago, I found Hallmark Card Studio 2009 (Hallmark Card Studio 2009 Deluxe) and installed it on the Windows side of my Mac Pro, and really enjoyed the professional quality card that it produced, especially when I used the Hallmark Premium paper. Unfortunately, a Windows 7 update occurred, and suddenly the program crashed, and no repair, reinstall, etc., worked to get it working again. The installation of the 2010 version, (Hallmark Card Studio Deluxe 2010), though, worked until, you guessed it, another update for Windows 7. There was a patch that the software folks had that helped, but that only worked for a short while.

When I received a notice that Hallmark was coming-out with a version for the Mac, I waited to see if it would be sold on Amazon.com, and finally it was. I have used it for almost a month, and while I find that has a different interface, probably one from an older version, the ability to "tweak" the program is the same as the Windows, only a little more rudimentary, and most notably the quality of the card is as good as one you would buy in the store (see uploaded screen-shots of "crabby lady" card. All without the crashes!!!

There are two differences that I have noticed out-right. The first is that you cannot tell whether the card is a "half-fold" or "quarter-fold" until you go to print; however, when printing, depending on your printer, you have several options available, according the the limits of your printer. In my case, I can print the card as "half-fold,' "quarter fold," "side-fold" and "top-fold." I have printed the manual, and am trying to discern if there is any short-cut to doing this other than to make like you are going to print the card and see in the preview what type of card you are printing. I am sure I am missing something, but what I am doing before I start individualizing the card is I look to see what type of card it is by selecting "print," then not executing the print command BEFORE I put any effort into individualizing the card. On a positive note, the requirements of going through a "print" subprogram to determine how you insert the paper in your printer is no longer required for printers that print on both sides of the paper (my printer is an HP Photosmart Premium). You just select printer from the drop down menu and check the box for printing on both sides, and let the printer do everything. UPDATED: There are time, though, when, if you have "borderless" printing selected, you have to take and manually reinsert the card for printing the inside. My HP printer HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Inkjet Printer (CC335A#ABA) prints from the front, and that means I have to place the paper, print-side up, with the back of the card going into the printer first, to print the inside (I'll post a picture of this).

With regards to inserting pictures, changing type, inserting text, etc., the program is pretty intuitive, and is, for me, a lot easier than the Windows version, especially for inserting text and/or changing the font. I have a lot of nieces and being able to individualize these cards is a godsend, especially when even the biggest card shop does not have that many cards devoted to nieces. With Hallmark Card Studio for Mac, I can easily modify the card, and even change out the graphic in seconds. When you want to insert a picture, don't be alarmed, as I was at first. Going to the "Insert" menu, it has Get Picture from Camera or iSight, and I thought, I want a picture from a file or desktop. Choose "Get Picture from Camera or iSight." Then, at the bottom of the work screen that shows a recent picture, choose "Choose." From there, you will be shown your drives and files. What is really neat about the picture insert process is that you can slide the picture around and crop it using a "slider," even hit a button to get the "sepia" or other picture-types one gets when you take a picture using your iSight camera. (I love my Mac!)

Using the premium card stock, Hallmark Half-Fold Glossy Premium Photo Greeting Cards - 15 count, or the matte version Hallmark Blank Greeting Cards Half-fold Matte Premium 20 Count and you will produce cards that no one will ever know, unless you want them to, is one you've made yourself.

Thank goodness, this finally came-out on the Mac platform. (I updated this to include the instructions for printing both sides of the paper if you have "borderless" printing activated. I've used this Mac version for two more months, and I'm finding it even easier to use, and no "crashes," even with updates to the Apple Operating Software.)
review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2010
I have been a loyal and happy Hallmark Card Studio user for years. I purchased an updated version almost every time one came out. I loved the flexibility and found it lent itself well to many other projects. When our PC finally crashed, we purchased an iMac and automatically ordered the Hallmark Card Studio for Macs. What a disappointment! First, there is no comparison with what the Windows version can do and what the Mac version can do. They are completely different software. The Mac software and options feel about 10 years behind in technology. I wonder if they put it out just to try to tap into the Mac business but did it too fast and too superficially. One of the things I loved about the Windows version was the ability to make certificates, postcards, envelopes of all different sizes. I used them for all kinds of projects. The only certificate you can print on the Mac version is an 8.5x11. Why? There are no custom sizes for any of the types of cards, etc. This just isn't worth the money. What a shame.
33 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2010
I thought Hallmark would be a great product. I was used to using a much older product on the PC and thought Hallmark would be at least as good as a 2002 card software product. It is worse. In order to use your own graphics or images from the computer must first be put in iphoto. The clip art library is limited and you can't perform a simple search (i.e. search clip art for stars). You can't create labels,stationary, gift tags, etc. All this stuff I was able to do this with that 2002 software. It isn't as easy to customize your project. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't go with the Hallmark name and look for more functionality.
on November 29, 2010
This product no way compairs to the windows version of Hallmark card program. Having the windows version and switching to a Mac version, there was fewer choices, less graphics, and much harder to select or create a card. Very disappointed in Mac version.
on April 23, 2013
After reading all the not so good reviews, I decided to take a chance on the Mac version of the Hallmark card program. I have used the pc version for years and must say, at first I was not crazy about program as it does work a little differently. But after working with it & learning how it works, it is just as good of a program as the pc version. In some of the other reviews, complaints were made regarding the printing of the card, not knowing whether it was a half fold or quarter fold, etc. I have not found this to be an issue - I believe it has more to do with the type of printer you have rather than the program itself. When I hit print, I can then, at that time, choose which fold I want just as I did with the pc version. I for one will give it a 'thumbs up' and hope that Hallmark will come out with a new, Deluxe card program for mac. I did however only gave it 4 stars as this version does not offer the 'flip' feature when working with clip art. With 'flip', I could change the way a graphic/clip art was facing, either left or right. Still a great program!!
on November 3, 2010
I used the Card Studio for Windows for years, so I assumed that it would be good on the Mac. Wrong. It is impossible to preview unless you exit and go back every time. I wish I had not bought it.
on November 29, 2013
If you have the new Mac update, Mavericks, DON'T get this!!!! It won't work. Hallmark knows this. I communicated with support for almost a month and they said they are aware of the problem. However, rather than offer some hope of fixing the problem, they sent an email that they were closing my case because they hadn't heard from me in several days. Mind you, I had communicated with them for weeks, sometimes several times a week.

Hallmark hasn't updated this product since December 2012, when it started crashing. They did fix this problem. But, to date, they have not fixed the current problem and if you get it you're wasting your money.
on August 30, 2010
My review will be brief, I agree with the latter two reviews, very frustrating to use and poor support in that Hallmark have no solutions. Save your money.
SkipJ
on June 30, 2013
I have used Hallmark for years for my PC and this one for Mac isn't near as good. Not as many cards to choose from and I miss the event planner also missing the art studio. However it is better than nothing so I will keep it. I just hope that they work on it and make it more like the PC version for next time.