4.0 out of 5 stars You need a WEI of 5 to run it! (Plus, the technical specs that are missing...)
Until a really stable and easy to install patch comes out, this will only work with Vista, and a really good video card. (I'm sure that sometime this year we will see a true patch that will allow you to use it on XP, but then...)

According to the cover box and Microsoft website, your video card must be "NVIDIA 6100, ATI X700 or above." That leaves a lot to...
Published on June 22, 2007 by T. Denyer

2.0 out of 5 stars Halo 2 Vista - Concept great, execution lousy
I love the game, I just wish I could play more with it. As of June 1st week, the implementation of laptop Nvidia graphics drivers, Halo 2 issues, and Vista problems have combined to form an unplayable game. Unless and until there are some fixes from any and all involved parties this game is a waste of time. In the 20 min utes or so before crashing or slowing down, the...
Published on June 4, 2007 by Rajeev Iyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars OK with Windows7, May 26, 2010
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
I didn't have any problems installing and running the game on a Windows7 PC. The graphics are pretty dated and I can run at highest resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best action shooter ever (so far), October 31, 2007
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Halo 2 extends the storry of Halo, and adds many new exciting new story elements. The multiplayer is very good indeed, and I never tire of laying some hurt on my closest friends and strangers. Plays very well on Vista.

2.0 out of 5 stars Three years too late..., August 28, 2007
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
The PC version of Halo 2 was released about 2 and a half years after the Xbox version and it shows. Halo 2 for the Xbox was a decent single player sequel but it was such a huge hit because of it's online play. Waiting almost 3 years to release a PC version caused Halo 2 to be outdated as soon as it was released.

I almost couldn't even finish playing Halo 2. I couldn't get past the terrible graphics after playing other games that are older but were way better. Half Life 2 is a year old and F.E.A.R. is two years old and both are WAY better games graphically. I'm not even sure why M$/Bungie bothered making a PC version.

If this game had been released 3 years ago when the Xbox version was released it would have been great. Instead, it was an outdated game even before it came out and it looks like M$ just released it to help push Vista. If you really love the Halo series just buy this used when it's about $10. That's about all this game is worth now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible performance, horrible install experience, worst game experience ever, December 16, 2008
J. Waugh (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Well, I'd just gotten a Vista machine finally - been looking forward to being able to play this on it in my office (instead of the xbox). The experience has been horrible. Instead of making a great port, Microsoft used this to try and sell Vista and jam their ill thought out Windows Live service (where they want more of your money) down your throat - and you feel it throughout.

Put the DVD in and installed the game, I don't care about Live, I just want to play local, but the damn thing forces me to link with Live to play at all and create an account. Then it forces me to download two patches on Live for Live (two different reboots - yeah reboots for a frickin game that's already installed - and the patches aren't for the game per se, they're for the live service) for god knows what, again from Live that I want no part of, but I have to login to just to get to play local.

What happens when MS decides to deep six Windows Live gaming - will my Halo game just not play anymore (since it won't connect to Live to login for local play)? Remember MS Play for Sure?

Finally after an hour of connecting to Live, which I'm not interested in, but I have to be logged into just to play local I can start the game - extremely pissed off at this point. Now, I've got a Core 2 (3Ghz), 2GB and an ATI 3870 512MB - I should be able to do whatever I want with this old game...but the performance is terrible, stuttering frame rates at 1280x1024 - you'd think I was running Far Cry, not a game with a code base from 5 years ago on a P4 (it should be flying unless they recoded it this way). Really a horrible experience. Just as with Vista, MS has forgotten who their customer is, jamming things down their customers throats to suit their own ends (have to have Vista and have to be in Live). Do yourself a favor and get a used version (~$15 or so) - it is not worth spending full price, at all.

Its too bad they could have made a great port if they had their priorities straight (i.e. remembered who their customer was).

2.0 out of 5 stars xbox quality on PC, June 13, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
halo 2's graphics are comparable to unreal 2004 tournament. Disappointing for a game released in mid 2007. I expect 2007 games to have graphics comparable to rainbow six vegas or higher. Buildings look under textured. facial models have low polygon counts as well as textures are of low resolution. What do you expect from a game that was tailored to work on your 320x200 TV, with the highest of 800x600?

Game physics are mediocre compared to PC game standards. Water does not splash when shot at. hand blade does not scratch walls like light sabers do in jedi knight 3.

on another note, the game looks like it was rushed from the xbox straight to pc. The programmers were probably so lazy that they left all XYAB buttons from console controllers for pc players in game.

5.0 out of 5 stars so awsome if your computer runs fast, January 15, 2008
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
this game is really fun even my friend loves it and he has an x box 360 with live, but i do warn you better have a fast computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Difficult OS, July 16, 2010
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Halo 2 is of course lots of fun and, as yet, the newest Halo PC users have at this point (really Microsoft?). But its for Vista. Installing on Windows 7 was an interesting experience. It took some time, several restarts and reinstallations, and some internet searching.
In the end, I think all I had to do was use the backwards compatibility settings along with turning off the internet connection on game startup. You can reconnect after the game is loaded. Its a little annoying but not especially a problem.
So its worth buying but be aware it is not just plug and play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this game if you have Windows 7, November 16, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Warning!! Microsoft states that this game is Windows 7 compatible-- IT IS NOT!

Before purchasing it, check posting connecting this game and Windows 7, especially on the Microsoft forums. You will find a few listings where the new owners were ultimately able to install and operate it(two quite different sets of problems), but a list of thousands who could not, often after days of infuriating attempts.

Installation worked for me. But, after many hours of attempts, I was unable to open the game until I disconnected my internet line. THEN,I hit the wall with Microsoft's DRM system. Once the game is loaded and the computer's internet connection reestablished, it will not work until you have connected to Windows Live from within the program, even if you only want to play the game as a single shooter. After days of attempts and tries to do this, I still cannot establish this "validation" connection, with either the early or latest Windows Live software.

In short, Microsoft is marketing a game that it has certified as compatible with the modern systems needed to run it. But the ability to run it on these systems is problematical at best. Worse, the DRM-related software (or even the new versions available on line)that comes with the program actually prevent its use by the individual who purchased it. Worse yet, the game is not compatible with the very OS that Microsoft developed and Microsoft has NOT supplied patches to fix these absurd problems of its creation. Apple would never do this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Promotion for Vista, July 20, 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
This game was only released to promote Vista. Microsoft needs to get back to its roots, and gain customer's loyalty. Microsoft could of made the game much better if they only they tried. I would not recommend buying this game. The game (F.E.A.R.) has much better artificial intelligence with an overall better game engine. Please support the game companies that support gamers with high quality titles.

2.0 out of 5 stars 64 bit Vista woes, February 26, 2008
This review is from: Halo 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Chances are you've heard that Vista comes in two flavors, 32 bit and 64 bit. The vast majority of consumers use 32 bit Vista, while early adopters like to run 64 bit because it has a few advantages over 32 bit. If you are like most consumers, you have the 32 bit version of Vista, so this review does not apply.

I installed this game on my new Vista x64 rig and was looking forward to some great Halo 2 online multiplayer, just like when I used to play four-way split screen on Xbox with friends. You can't play split screen on this, but I presumed the advantage of aiming with keyboard and mouse would make up for it. When I started to play the game (after the long installation/update process), I noticed the game was not rendering correctly. Despite a solid frame rate of 75, the entire Halo world was not rendering smooth enough to enjoy playing in it. On some maps the walls look like they're popping out of place. On every single map you have problems looking around and getting your crosshairs to move where you want them. I have adjusted numerous mouse settings but nothing works.

If you have 32 bit Vista go ahead and buy this, the graphics look better than Xbox from what I can see on this setup. But, if you have 64 bit Vista expect poor performance overall as Microsoft was probably too busy to bother writing decent 64 bit code for this game. To be fair, there are lots of games advertised for Vista that don't run quite right on 64 bit. Still, this is the only one I've played that is advertised solely for Vista that has a severe problem.

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

Halo 2 - PC
Halo 2 - PC by Microsoft (Windows Vista)
$23.30