5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Own - But Not Perfection
Published on September 30, 2007 by Lisa Shea

3.0 out of 5 stars not that fun
maybe its just me, but i found halo 3 to be a little cheesey and weird. keep in mind that i have not played the other 2. alot of the weapons were lame and half the time, i couldnt see where i was in the game. much of it is darkly lit or hard to see. overall, there are better shoot-'em-up games out there.
Published on August 31, 2008 by A. Lamb

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Own - But Not Perfection, September 30, 2007
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Halo 3 was, in a way, doomed before it was released. No matter how well it did, people are going to judge its "wow factor" against how amazing the original Halo felt to play back when it first came out. Now that we are used to the weapons, races, environments and plotline, nothing is as cool as it was that first time. It's the same issue that plagues any series, be it Dune, the Matrix, Star Wars, etc.

Halo 3 does get a boost in that it is released for the 360, so you get an automatic upgrade in abilities there. We're playing on a high end HD TV, and yes, it looks really nice. The backgrounds look like a painting in motion, with swirling clouds and dancing dust storms. From the light glinting off the metal surfaces to the detailed shadows in the rocks, it can be really gorgeous. Is every detail as beautiful as every detail in, say Gears of War? Maybe not. Different developers focus on different items. There are always trade-offs for speed and visual appeal reasons. For a Halo world, I think they did a good job.

The sound and dialogue are really great. I like the background music, and I find much of the dialogue hilarious. There are some conversations that have me laughing out loud. This is a good game to play with your surround sound stereo system hooked up, and of course the subwoofers.

I hated the ending of Halo 2. I dislike it when a story finishes with a "and now wait a few years to find out what happened." They can at least have you feel like you achieved something, and ended a chapter. For that reason alone it's good to have Halo 3 here to wrap everything up.

Unfortunately, with all the time they spent in development, this third outing is a bit predictable. I really enjoyed the multi character play in Halo 2. I thought that was a great touch. They completely removed it for Halo 3, setting you back into a Master Chief only mode. To be honest, I really thought we'd get THREE races this time around, and get to play as the Flood too. Why reduce ourselves to just one?

Also, while there are a lot of "missions", some of them are maybe 5 minutes long. That's a bit on the short side. I realize you can go back and replay on harder and harder levels to challenge yourself - but they could have put more depth into the basic story line.

Now, all of those things being said, the key to any game in modern times is its multiplayer ability. No matter what single player game you play, it's pretty much a limited time game. Multiplayer is completely unlimited - and you're not stuck with the formulas built into the AI brains. Halo 3 is definitely the best multiplayer experience of the three games - the most balanced, the most fun, the best graphics. You could literally play this for years and not get bored of it.

So to summarize - if you don't have XBox Live, you could rent this game for a week, get through it and have a lot of fun. You'll be able to see how the story ends, get your Halo fix in and be happy. But if you do have XBox Live, you'll want to own this. Between replaying the base game on harder levels to improve your skills, and playing multi-player in a variety of maps and set-ups, you'll be happy for a long, long while.

There are many games we write a walkthrough for that we have to push ourselves to get through, but when we did our walkthrough for Halo 3, we really did have fun :) So that's always a good sign!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for Non-Gamers, September 27, 2007
Greeper (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm not a gamer, just a regular 30something who wants an easy way to take out my frustrations. This review is probably most helpful to middle aged men like me, not hardcore gamers.

I have tried many other games but Halo is the only one that doesn't tax me too much with choices and complicated controller requirements. I give the Halo franchise 5 stars because it is so simple, one mission, kill everything in sight. You don't need to investigate, open your pouch, choose between a million weapons, read maps, or think for even a second. It's the only game I've found which I can stand for more than 5 minutes and which is completely uncomplicated. And you can skip the story and all that nonsense by just hitting the main button.

As compared to other Halos: I'm not crazy about the weaponry. The needlers run out of ammo and the other guns don't do much. You also need to press a button to reload some weapons, it seems, whereas before they would reload if you walked over the same kind of weapon. THere are 3 kinds of grenades, which is unnecessary and just harder to switch between. You can also only carry 2 of each instead of 4. Since the new grenades stick like the plasmas, they don't add much and just add another layer of choice and button-pushing. Too complicated. Also, the little bonus things like flares and landmines are gimmicky and add too much comlpication. Again, advanced gamers probably love it, but I'm too old to learn all this new stuff. Just give me a gun and some grenades.

In previous games you'd come across more types of things to do, like a lot of sniper rifles so you could sit on a hilltop picking off aliens or use other strategy. In this game you don't find a lot of useful weapons, so there's a lot more direct hand to hand, on the ground type combat. I've also found that it's easier to kill things and easier in general to solve the levels. Also, it uses the "follow me" arrow and the voice gives you suggestions if you seem to be missing the point, which I like, since in previous Halos I've spent hours wandering around wondering what I'm supposed to be doing. No such problems here. They've sufficiently dumbed it down.

I've had a few graphic glitches in this one, which has never happened before. I've also gotten stuck and unable to get out of things twice. THe sound and graphics are great, of course. I've never paid any attention to the story, unless it required me to, so I can't comment on that. Kusdos to Bungie for making it easy to skip over.

Overall, this is the same experience as the others, though it seems easier than Halo2. As little thought as that required, this one requires less. I've not had to think at all about weapon choice, strategy, or anything, Just pull the trigger and kill! I wish there were more FPS games like this -- fast-paced, completely intuitive hand controls, easy storyline, simple mission, and FUN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of the King, September 25, 2007
Halo 3 - Circa 2007

GOOD:
- Four-player online (or offline) co-op Gameplay allows two; three, or four players play through the game from start to end. A co-op player can come into the game at any time and leave at any time (note only one of you will play as the Master Chief, while another will play as the Arbiter, and the other two players will be Elites that work with humans)
- Great looking graphics and animation, that look even better then Halo 2, F.E.A.R. and just as good as Bioshock, while these graphics might not look as good as Gears of War do to some people these graphics still are some of the best seen to date.
- Intense multiplayer action online through Xbox Live with matches as small as one on one and as big as 16 players (and offline with out using Xbox Live using either spilt screen, or system link). Halo 3 is set up similar to Halo 2 in the sense that you're given a rank when you play multiplayer (this rank can go up or down at any time) this rank is representative of your skill and your matched with others of your skill type, that way new unskilled players and hardcore veterans will not often play against one another, unless they make a special match themselves that ignores rank.

BAD:
- Confusing plot to new players of this franchise - Playing Pervious games and read the Halo Novels will fill you in on the details, if you are incline to learn them.
- No Clan Support (like in Halo 2) - This might get fixed in a future patch
- Game is considered short to some (Campaign Story Mode).

IF IT FITS YOUR TASTE:
- A Sci-Fi First Person Shooter with quick pacing and vehicle combat.
- Co-op and online versus/team games is the big draw here.
- NEW MODE: Forge is a mode that lets you edit all the maps in Halo 3, while you cannot rebuild the maps themselves you can in this mode, add and take away any and all of the objects from vehicles and guns to spawning points and flag zones. This is all done in real time and you can invite friends to this mode while your customizing the map(s), they can play a multiplayer game while your doing this (instead of just waiting for you) and if you want you can forgo editing the map and join the game at hand as either a player or the map editor (who looks like 343 Guilty Spark), while playing as the map editor you can still add and take away any and all objects from vehicles and guns to spawning points and flag zones any time you want.
- NEW MODE: Theater Mode is a video editor that lets you record and play back any and all matches from Campaign, Multiplayer, and Forge modes from the point of view of any player either in first person or third person (even in a orbit-cam where the camera circles around the player) all in real time (you can also pause this at any time as well as fast forward and rewind), even use your camera to fly around the match and see the match from any angle you want, Don't forget you must save your videos before you turn off the game or you will lose said videos. Also you can take a picture at any time and save it to your Xbox 360 then download your picture at Bungie.com.

GAME ITS MOST ASSOCATED TOO:
- Halo 2 (Xbox)
- Halo (Xbox)
- Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)
- Bioshock (360)
- Gears of War (360)

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
- There are bonus items scattered through the Campaign Story Mode called Skulls getting these "Skulls" will make the game harder (by doing things like turning off radar for the rest of the Campaign Mode your playing it) but will also greatly increase your meta game score for the Campaign Mode.
- There are two different limited collectors editions of this game. One is called the limited edition, which comes in a metal tin and has a bonus disc (with behind the scene videos and such) and also comes with an art book. While the other limited edition (called Legendary edition) you will find an art book a mini poster two bonus DVDs (with behind the scene videos and such as well as a collection of all the cut scenes form Halo and Halo 2 and themes you can download to your 360) And the it comes with a plastic Master Chief Helmet to keep your DVDs in (Helmet as big a volley ball).
- At Bungie.com you can sign up and pay a small fee to upgrade your Halo 3 account (default is free) to hold more space on their serves for your videos/pictures/clips that you made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo 3, October 27, 2007
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Halo 3 was an awesome purchase and totally worth every penny. The story line is great and it wraps everything up from the two previous games. The campaign is fun, but the mulitplayer is really where it's at. The enviroments are intruiging and exciting with every twist and turn. The newly introduced items give the game an entirely new demension that I believe everyone will come to love and enjoy. The game is fun for LAN parties and is a great game for online play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo 3 is the best game PERIOD!, September 25, 2007
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Those people that are rating Halo 3 with one star are being little Playstation 3 hOr-babies. I mean, come on... are you really telling me that you are willing to lump Halo 3 in with the likes of Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Cyberball 2072, Bomberman Act Zero, Hour of Victory, Pimp My Ride or Fusion Frenzy 2? Your arguments would have some substance at maybe three stars, but one?? That's just DOOPID! I would call you mentally retarded, but someone who is mentally retarded cant help themselves. I know you are smarter than that.

Halo 3 is the best game that I have played, period! Halo 3 has more packed into it than any game that I have played on Xbox 360 or PC. You definitely will get your money's worth out of this game.

Even if Halo 3 is not your most favorite game, you have to admit it sure is a good one. For instance, I am not much of a PC gamer and I hate World of Warcraft and those types of games, but I can understand that it is a decent game that deserves a good rating.

If you are concerned about going through the campaign in Halo 3 so quickly, then step it up to Heroic. Once I am done with the Campaign, I will spend endless hours on Multiplayer, Forge Map Editor, Four Player Co-Op, Theater, and hopefully getting all of the Achievements.

So, if you want to cry and complain, go do it all on the Sony Playstation 3 forums. Because, when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out, the LAST thing I would be doing is putting out bad reviews of a game that I don't want to waste my time on. Think about it and don't get back to me, 'cause I don't care.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overdone hype but awsome game., September 25, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Personally all this hype was blown out of proportion. All done for more marketing sales to make Microsoft very happy of course and to squeeze every last dime out of Halo fans by creating three types of editions. I was there for the midnight release and played Halo3 for a good two and half hours until I crashed out on my couch. I'll break this review down into a few cat orgies.

Gameplay: The game to me has improved on many levels. With new enemies with better AI, they don't just stand there waiting to get killed. Along with the same layout has Halo 1&2, 3 is pretty much the same (point, shoot, cover), but you have more areas to get creative with new content. Halo3 gameplay was given a polished look and finish and even though it can feel old at times, it's really all about finishing the fight and finding out the storyline.

Graphics: I was quit surprised to see how clean and detailed the graphics were on my regular TV. Bungie really went to attention to detail and left nothing out. I have a 24' HDTV but with no speakers so I have to resort to my older TV, but if Halo3 looks as good as it does on regular, I can only image what it would look like HD.

New Content: Who doesn't like new content? Halo3 has more to offer then ever. There is new equipment to help you defeat your foes when it gets rough. New guns, new fighting tactics, its awesome.

Overall: I gave this 4 stars out of 5 because the gameplay feels the same in certain parts of the game, but with the graphics and new content I can easily get over it. Only reason why I got an Xbox 360 was for Halo3, since I found out there was no plans to start working on a PC version of Halo and I didn't want to wait long to play.

Advice: Don't play Halo 3 until you played Halo 1&2, get familar with the storyline and controls, otherwise this game won't be "the hype" you expected. Remember, when Halo first came out, there was mixed reviews, playing Halo 3 first is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars All around greatness, September 26, 2007
M. Allen (Seattle, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The original HALO is what caused me to trade in my Sony for an XBOX, HALO was that good. HALO 2 on the other hand was traded in on the same day it was released, the graphics were simply old and no good. However, I played HALO 3 yesterday for 3 hours on co-op, and the game is truly great. Are there better graphics in other games, yes, but overall they improved the graphics on this game to keep me happy. The action as always is intense and so far the game has not let me down. I'll be finished with the story by this evening, but this game is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, September 26, 2007
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I am sad to see so much useless halo bashing on this page. A lot of these reviews do not specifically target anything and seem to only bring the rating down. My review however will be short and sweet as well and will cover only one thing. And that is how much fun I had playing the game. It was a blast, Bungie gave me the ability to finish the story of halo with three other friends, as well as switch over to multiplayer for an almost neverending online experience. The main thing was that I had fun and am glad I purchased a 360. So five stars it gets. I also recommend Bioshock for people who enjoy FPS as I recently got it and was shocked by its quality of gameplay. If you like Halo get this game, if you did not then dont worry about it.

P.S. Will someone please silence the PC fans who bash every console and console game, it is very annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Halo 3, October 27, 2007
Taylor T. Guss (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The graphics for this game are absolutely stunning. Halo 3 takes full advantage of the Xbox 360's high definition gaming capabilities. However, because of all of this, the xbox will heat up more than it already does. So, if you purchase this game I would suggest buying an external fan so as to not overheat your Xbox(I made this mistake and now my 360 is getting fixed at Microsoft's Tech Support place)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game but way too short, October 27, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This was my first time into the Halo universe and it has great visuals and a good story but the single player mode was way too short.
I recommend the game but I felt that I was just being rushed into getting the basics down and then obviously they wanted you to jump into Xbox live with it, I just wanted a longer more in depth story.
I finished the game in less than a week on and off.

Halo 3 - Xbox 360
Halo 3 - Xbox 360 by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
$17.25