2,548 Reviews
 (1,754)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Game
Published 7 months ago by Tyrone

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun if you're into the campaign...
But 343 changed things up as far as multiplayer goes. Apparently, the CoD thing sells, and that's what Halo's become, more or less --Call of Duty with space marines and light-shields. You can't even play as the Covenant anymore, which isn't really that much of a loss come to think of it...
But you know what is a loss? No more ground-punching Armor Lock. Have fun...
Published 6 months ago by Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Game, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
I was worried that a follow-up to Halo 3 would be a let down, but I was wrong. Halo 4 is fantastic. It's probably the best looking game on the Xbox 360, the sound effects are top-notch, and the gameplay was really good. I know a lot of people did not enjoy Halo 4, but I am not one of those. I thought it was an excellent campaign experience, the multiplayer was always fun, and the added Spartan Ops are a nice feature. I look forward to what 343 Industries has in store for the future

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Halo yet!, November 8, 2012
Evad (Redmond, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
Six months ago I was convinced that NOBODY could possibly take the incredible work of Bungie and maintain their level of quality and refinement. I had no intention of buying Halo 4. But over the past couple of months 343 would keep putting out videos that kept me intrigued. I decided to give in to the hype and I am absolutely blown away by what I am seeing on my 60" screen...

* The game feels like Halo, but it also feels new - not sure if that is helpful, but they managed to keep the core while pushing the story and gameplay forward
* The graphics are superb, but the sound is absolutely the best of any game I have every played. The gun sounds "punch" your speakers pretty hard and all the affects really grab your attention
* A lot of diversity and progression has been added to the multiplayer aspect of the game. I am less of a "run and gun" type player so I appreciate some of the game modes where the goal is to capture buildings (Dominion) or control space (King of the Hill). It adds a layer of strategy that allows us mediocre gamers to play a key role
* Spartan Ops is fun! With three other friends you can play these "bite-sized" missions and continue the story beyond the campaign. I believe we will continue to get new missions every week so my friends and I have new content to play together every weekend!

Complaints
* In the campaign, I kept running out of ammo and was forced to switch weapons constantly. Sometimes trying new weapons was a lot of fun, but other times it was a drag using the plasma gun over and over and over...
* In mutliplayer when I watch my Death Cam to see how I was killed, it seems like they dont always hit me and I still died. Its like there is some sort of an accuracy issue with the game. Either the Death Cam is wrong, or I am getting killed by bullets that are not hitting me. Either way it needs to be fixed

Overall, I am still surprised that anyone can take a big franchise like Halo over and somehow manage to not only keep the "magic" but actually make it feel like the next step. I have no regrets buying Halo 4!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Balanced, Well Crafted Halo Game Yet, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
First off, my favorite game of this series was "Halo 3" before this game and I find this game to surpass it in many ways.

Balanced Game Play: 343 has introduced "loadouts" similar to COD's "Class" system. This caters to a variety of different types of gamers and their style of play. You are able to choose your Primary Weapons, Secondary Weapons, Grenades of preference, Armor Ability, Tactical Package and Support Upgrades which separate you from anyone else on the battlefield. So if you are good at driving vehicles you may want the ability to avoid stun by plasma pistol charged shots and have your vehicle heal outside of battle. Such an ability exists for your style of game play. However, you may need to work a bit to get it, none the less you will reap the rewards of your hard work in the end. Others players like myself enjoy sniping, so I chose mobility (which grants me the ability to sprint non-stop) in order to get out of sticky situation + Camouflage (which works well and hides me in plain sight.)

The weapons are balanced as an Assault Rifle will now easily beat a DMR or BR from close range and a majority of the weapons have been crafted to counter each other equally within their respected range of accuracy. So when I hear people say they die a lot in this game, I feel it is not because the game is broken but rather that the players haven't taken advantage of all the weapon/abilities in this game to find what suits their needs. Also, it's still a competitive game so you still have to develop the proper skills to be a strong competitor.

Vehicles are also much more balanced. We witnessed how flimsy they were in Reach and how difficult they were to deal with in Halo 3. This game offers somewhat of a balanced solution as some vehicles (Such as the Banshee) still get destroyed a bit too easy, the counter is that plasma grenades are much harder to use in this game than in previous halo games. They also have much less of an exploding radius (I much rather use Frags in this game than Plasma Grenades.) Being someone who likes to snipe in Halo 4, I can honestly say that the sniper is still able to take out the Warthog and Banshee pretty easily (About a clip and a half, maybe 2 clips.) However, I can see people complaining about those vehicles being overpowered if this wasn't the case, as a good Gauss-hog/Warthog team or Banshee can bee very lethal and difficult to deal with without proper ordinance weapons.

Ordinance Weapons are the best solution to balancing out maps. It used to be a fight from the start to get the sniper, rockets, etc. This caused internal conflict (Two people on the same team going for the same weapon.) It also gave the sense that a map was not fair if you spawned on the side that didn't grant you easy access to these powerful weapons. Although in some game types you still see weapons exist on the map (Big Team) you can depend on your skill (assists,kills and other medals for points) to grant you an ordinance weapon. The downside is ordinance drops aren't always appealing. I tend to always get these 3 options (Needler, grenades and speed boost) which aren't my favorite. However, after playing this game for a while you are able to inherit Requisition, the "TRACKER" specialist ability which eventually grants you the right to pick a different ordinance every time you have an ordinance available. So if you aren't into the options given to you on your initial ordinance earned, you can spin your ordinance for a different set of options. This can be done once each time you earn an ordinance, balancing it out with the other armor abilities in the game.

Campaign- The campaign is one of the best in the series, rich with an immersive story line, beautiful scenery/cut scenes/visual effects and great music (both in the title screen, intermission between multiplayer games and in the campaign.) Many questions where answered in this game story wise and 343 has found a way to make this series even more interesting than before. I won't post any spoilers here, but I will say that this game has carved a new path and it isn't dull or generic. It really enhances the Halo universe as we know it.

To give you a sense of how much 343 has tried catering to every type of player and their specific style of play, here is a list of the specialist armor abilities and what they offer to players. Players who purchased the regular edition of Halo 4 will only be able to use "Operator" and "Wetwork". But eventually, all of these abilities will be available to everyone.

WETWORK
Spartan optimization for stealth operations which focus on the elimination of an enemy target with the goal of leaving no tactical footprint behind.
The Stealth armor mod allows users to move quickly and silently in combat, executing enemy assassinations with lightning fast dexterity.

PIONEER
Spartan optimization for deployment into uncharted, hostile territory, such as uncolonized worlds or Forerunner constructs like Requiem, for the purpose of gathering and relaying information.
The Fast Track armor mod allows Spartans to gain more experiential data from each encounter, effectively ranking up quicker during the process.
This Specialization will be available at launch.

ENGINEER
Spartan optimization for the subversion, repair, and or reconstitution of a wide range of technology, including Covenant and Forerunner complex networks.
The Drop Recon armor mod allows users to predict the location and time of an ordnance drop through an external suborbital monitoring system.

TRACKER
Spartan optimization for long-range target tracking (trans-continent and off-world), particularly in scenarios where conventional tracking has failed or such a substantial time has passed that the trail has gone cold. The Requisition armor mod allows users the ability to recall their own ordnance requests in order to acquire more helpful weapons in the field.

ROGUE
Spartan optimization for single-operative missions which require a lone Spartan to be deployed on their own for incredibly long durations of time, even years if required. The Stability armor mod allows users to increase their aiming stability when being fired upon.

STALKER
Spartan optimization for target shadowing missions which require tactical invisibility despite operating at an extremely close range to the target itself.
The Nemesis armor mod allows users to target and track down previous attacking enemies, highlighting them on the armor's passive sensors.

PATHFINDER
Spartan optimization for deep, unconventional deployment within unknown enemy territory and with little to no assistance from command.
The Gunner armor mod decreases the time of weapon overheat when occupying a vehicle weapon position and increases Spartan speed while carrying a detached turret.

OPERATOR
Spartan optimization for the operation and control of a wide range of vehicles: space, air, ground, and sea.
The Wheelman armor mod gives Spartans the ability to coax every bit of stamina and durability out of vehicles they are piloting. "

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
A lot of people seem to want to compare this game with halo games of the past, but with every iteration of a game whether it be COD, Battlefield, Fifa, Halo etc. I only want something that is fun. And this game is definitely fun. I'm not going into detail because of the plethora of reviews on the internet but if you enjoy having a good time with some friends around an xbox or just have an hour to waste, Halo 4 is a great way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME HALO 4 BUY IT, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
I'm in a gaming community (XGC) xiledgaming.com we have all types of clans on platforms PC, XBOX 360/ONE, PS3/4. I am the general on the 360 halo 4 clan. We are mature (18+) laid back gamers who love to play all halo games, My gamer tag is XGC Franny. The reason I rated this game 5 stars is because its AWESOME! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Halo Game, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
**Spoilers** The best Halo game of the series. Halo 1-3 consisted of pushing back the outbreak of The Flood, while Halo 4 takes us down a darker path. Encountering the Prometheans and one of their commanders, The Didact, become the major enemy of the game.

I like Halo 4 over its previous predecessors because it really gives light on the story. Halo 1-3 had major loopholes in them for people who did not read the novels, and I was left to having to read online forums to fill in those gaps. Halo 4 helps keep a solid story going. There are times where I was wondering about certain facets, but as the story progressed, it shed light on those questions that felt unanswered.

Halo 4 is a solid 10/10, and is the best FPS I have yet to play. The soundtrack is marvelous. The graphics engine 343 used really showcases what the Xbox 360 is really capable of - it reminded me of the CryEngine used in Crysis 1&2. I never noticed a drop in framerate, and the Xbox 360 never once froze during the hours of gameplay. The controller mapping took some getting use to. While the main buttons were still the same, a few of the extra ability buttons were changed around. I did not play Multiplayer since I do not have a paid Xbox Live! account. Aspects of the story reminded me of Dead Space - Dead Space had the Marker, while Halo 4 had The Composer.

Put it simply, the game contained elements that I had never seen Halo use before. Master Chief gains suit abilities that reminded me of when I played Metroid Prime, and the enemy models used were similar to the ones seen in Metroid Prime as well. One of the suit abilities obtained was the Promethean Vision, which was a heat tracking visor for the suit - awesome, loved using it when I could. You also get a chance to pilot a robot, which reminded me of MechAssault from the original Xbox.

Finally, and I said it before, the story is what really allowed this game to blossom. I had the chance to see the true relationship between Master Chief and Cortana. As Cortana begins to lose her sanity, I saw a side of Master Chief that he was concerned about her and getting her home safely before the damage was beyond repair. Cortana becomes the pillar of morality in the game, which is ironic because she is an AI - it made me recall the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Cortana perseveres and remains faithful to Master Chief while talking about how bad everyone has treated him over the years and how he deserves more credit than what has been given to him. Master Chief is a creature of war; he does his duty with no emotion, but I saw him become emotional in Cortana's conflict with herself. It gave tones of a love story, only it was platonic and transcended levels of transhumanism. The sacrifice that she makes to keep him alive is what makes it all the more touching.

All in all, Halo 4 can stand on its own two feet just fine, but those who have played 1-3 will have a deeper appreciation for the storyline. I read articles that this is the first game of a new trilogy of Halo games (5-6 will be released on the Xbox One), so I am looking forward to playing those when they are released, especially since 343 Industries kicked major butt with this release. Most games I've played with multiple sequels have a tendency of a gradual decline, but this game sets the bar to a whole new level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
I really apreciate the purchase, it matches perfectly my expectations about the product, the shipment was fast, I received just in a while, price was good so I'm very satisfied with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars 343i delivers, despite any skepticism., December 12, 2012
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
Having been a long-time Halo player and fan, purchasing this new installment of the game was a must. Not only has it been a few years since we've seen the Master Chief in action, but it's the debut game for the new Halo developer, 343 Industries. While many members of Bungie's original Halo team still work as a part of 343, it has been interesting to see the franchise transition into a new atmosphere, with team members that had never been a part of the Halo universe contributing.

The campaign starts the player out in the same predicament as the original Halo--Master Chief is on a ship heading towards an impending doom, and have to fight your way out to discover the big surprise the remainder of the campaign has in store for you. Throughout the campaign, there are plenty of homages to previous Halo games, whether they be similar musical motifs or level structure. 343 has made sure the player feels like they are playing the same Halo they are familiar with and have always known.

The plot of the game brings the Chief to a forerunner planet and introduces the characters to a new race of enemies. This new race included the typical grunt-like creatures at the bottom of the ranks, all the way up to new "elite" members that introduced gameplay mechanics never seen before in Halo enemy AI (such as teleportation, regeneration, etc.). 343 does a fantastic job in transitioning the player into this new environment with never-before-seen enemies, primarily by mixing and scattering the traditional Covenant enemies throughout the game as well.

As this is the beginning of a new trilogy, the plot brings a level of new questions to the table, while only answering a few along the way. Leaving the details aside, one will notice when playing through that 343 takes a step in the direction of giving the player a more personal view of Master Chief: the plot reveals more information regarding his backstory, and how his role plays within the entire universe (which becomes a major plot point). The dynamic between Chief and Cortana is also built upon, and presents some emotional elements within the plot, never before experiencing in previous Halo games.

The new plot, levels, and characters, mixed together with the various difficulties (with the notoriously difficult legendary setting) create a truly unique game, and a must-have for anyone invested in the Halo universe.

The only thing missing from the campaign experience is the musical talent of previous Halo composer Marty O'Donnell. While the music still maintains a familiar Halo feel, new motifs are introduced and old ones trashed as 343 attempts to differentiate the new trilogy from the old. The music doesn't quite match that found in the original trilogy, but it should not be overlooked, either. The new soundtrack introduces a new, movie-esque soundscape, accentuating the epic impact of some of the game's levels and cutscenes.

Along with a new singleplayer experience comes a new multiplayer experience. While game types such as Slayer, Swat, and Snipers are still available to play, 343 has thrown in some new ones as well. The in-match scoring system has also changed, awarding the player points for accomplishing certain actions (kills, assists, etc.), rather than scoring based on kills alone.

New maps were released with the game, with confirmation of more map packs to follow soon. Some of the new maps are completely new, and some are remakes of older maps from previous Halo games. Unfortunately, as was an issue with previous Halo games, players usually end up on the same map for every game type, due to the voting mechanism introduced in Halo: Reach. Whereas the system previously chose the maps for the players, they are now given three choices, and those in the lobby are allowed to choose which they prefer (majority wins). While most players tend to flock towards the better maps, it becomes disappointing for those who favor unpopular maps.

The release of a new ranking system sometime next year will help the online experience, as the only current ranking system is experience-based and does not prove any indication of still. While the behind-the-scenes mechanics of Xbox Live has no trouble sorting players based on their skill, a visual indicate and level system will only add to the games favor, for both casual and competitive players alike.

New to Halo 4 is Spartan Ops, a campaign and co-op mission-based strategy gametype where players can continue the story via installments released regularly from 343 Industries. This mode essentially replaced Firefight from the previous games, as it allows players to team up against hordes of enemy AI. While each episode is accompanied by its own cutscene, the primary objective for each chapter usually follows the same formula--find the objective, clear the area of enemies, or defend certain obstacles. Unlike the campaign mode, players, playing either by themselves or with another player, have the ability to infinitely respawn throughout the level, rather than respawning back to the last checkpoint before death. While this takes away from the valor of completing some of the tougher levels, it also takes away some of the frustration brought on by playing some of the more difficult levels on legendary, which have become notoriously hard.

Overall, Halo 4 has done well in keeping up with the hype preceding it, but 343 will need to continue to improve if they intend to lengthen its lifespan as newer, better shooters enter the market. The expected ranking system restructure next year will help, along with 343's intended weekly release of Spartan Ops episodes.

Halo 4 has set the bar high for the rest of the trilogy, and it is any indication of how the remaining games will pan out, players should be nothing less than excited.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Return of Halo, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
When Halo 4 was first announced, I was both hopeful and skeptical. Halo has been my favorite video game franchise for a long time, but after being somewhat disappointed in Reach (particularly the multiplayer component) and with a new developer studio taking over the reigns, I wasn't getting my hopes up. The massive amount of media leading up to its release, though, made me buy it, and my skepticism has been washed away. The following review is divided into sections based on gameplay type:

Campaign:

Pros:
As stated by some other reviewers, the Halo 4 campaign is possibly the best Halo campaign to date. 343 has done an incredible job creating dynamic and interesting levels with lots of variety in vehicles, weapons and environments. As with all aspects of the game, the graphics, coloring and mechanics are very refined. The voice acting and cinematic scenes are superb. However, the most striking thing about the Halo 4 campaign to me is that it has the best story of any FPS campaign I've played since Halo: CE. It is exciting, gut-wrenching and intriguing. Combine this with the improvements in gameplay mechanics and level construction that have taken place since Halo: CE, and you have a masterpiece.

Cons:
The only thing I can think of to say in terms of campaign improvement was that more could have been done to explain the halo universe history necessary to get a good picture of what is going on at a couple points in the campaign itself.

Gameplay: 5/5
Story: 4.5/5
Replay value: 3.5/5
Overall: 4.3/5

Multiplayer (Spartan Wars):

Pros:
Spartan Wars is 343's term for competitive multiplayer, as opposed to cooperative (more on that in a sec). Although I've only played a few hours of multiplayer to this point, the system seems extremely refined. More than anything, it just feels like playing Halo again, a feeling that (for me, at least) Reach did not really deliver. Although elements that might be considered non-traditional in Halo are included - such as sprinting, customizable loadouts and a number of new armor abilities - it all works. The core aspects of the multiplayer experience that make it Halo are all there, and it feels terrific. Sound quality and graphics are once again excellent, and the maps (at least those I have played so far) are very well-built.

Cons:
There's really not much to be said here. So far I have yet to find anything that strikes me as really needing improvement in Halo 4's multiplayer, which is an achievement no FPS has managed for many years. If anything, perhaps more playlists that preserve the traditional Halo style of everyone starting with the same weapons, etc, or even some classic playlists with no armor abilities/specializations would be nice (just for when that's what you feel like playing).

Gameplay: 5/5
Replay value: 5/5
Competitive aspect: 4/5 (due to few options for "retro-Halo" playlists)
Maps: 4.5/5 (within each playlist there don't seem to be that many options, at least at this point in time)
Overall: 4.6/5

Multiplayer (Spartan Ops)

Pros:
Spartan Ops is 343's episodic, cooperative series of campaign-style missions that are going to be periodically released over the next ten weeks. I've played a few missions solo, but you can tell that they really are intended to be played by cooperative teams of 2-4 people in terms of layout and the enemies you are facing. The additional content is great, and the missions so far are decent fun.

Cons:
The missions for Spartan Ops (so far) seem to be more like Firefight mode from previous Halo titles and less like full-on campaign missions with an overarching storyline. I was hoping for more advancement of events in the Halo universe through these chapters, but perhaps that will come in some later episodes. Also, the play areas seem to be based heavily off of play areas that you also see in the single-player campaign. Not identical, but very similar in layout and graphical appearance. It would be nice to see some completely novel areas in at least some missions going forward.

Gameplay: 4/5 (Firefight with added objectives)
Maps: 3.5/5
Replay value: 5/5 (new content being constantly released for the next few months)
Overall: 4.1/5

Forge:

I haven't actually had the chance to play around with Forge yet, but based on the media and demo information released ahead of time, it seems that Halo 4's Forge promises to be everything that Reach Forge was and more. Of particular note, I am ecstatic about several new features in H4 Forge, particularly the copy/paste function and MAGNET POINTS FOR SNAPPING PIECES TOGETHER (Thank you 343!!!!). Since I haven't actually used it yet, though, I won't include numerical ratings on its features yet.

Overall:
Fantastic game, one of the best FPS games I've ever played with perhaps the best campaign of any FPS to date and extremely good online multiplayer options.

Would I recommend this game to a friend: ABSOLUTELY YES

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 9, 2014
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
I know that there is a lot of haters out there. And I mean a lot. But facts come up to facts and all in all this was a great game. I mean for a developer who just made their first game. Great job. You brought back the the chief and the wonder of seeing something new in halo that you will never forget. Like the mammoth level. That was my favorite level in the whole franchise. But 343 there is more that I have to say. Thank you for patching up the original halo and bringing back the memorys in hd. All in all im excited for the future of this awesome game. And well....... haters gonna hate!

Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game)
Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
$29.99 $18.99