1,309
Halo Reach
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$22.27 + Free shipping

on December 18, 2011
This is probably my favorite game of all time. It has so many features in the game that you will never get bored of. I have been a long time fan of the series starting with Halo 3 (unfortunetly not Halo CE or Halo 2) I played every game from Halo 3-Halo Reach which includes in order- Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach. This game is great for when you have friends over and you want to have fun instead of some other games (cough cough Call of Duty cough cough) where it is very competitive. There are so many things you can do in this game including Campaign, Matchmaking, Custom Games, Firefight, Forge, and theater mode for when you get that sick 360 no scope ;) You will never get bored of this game especially if you have Xbox Live and play matchmaking. Some great new things about the game is the new armory and credit system, better graphics, armor abilites, some new guns and vehicles, maps, and firefight. One thing that I think is kind of bad is that some things such as the armor and some guns look like clay. This is just preference but I just noticed that some things such as the armor shoulders look like clay or plastic. Overall a great game that almost anyone will enjoy playing.
on September 19, 2010
First of all I am a pretty big fan of the Halo series. I own the original trilogy but not ODST or Halo Wars. Okay, now first of all let's talk about the campaign. The campaign was pretty well done for it to not include Master Chief. Overall, traditional Halo gameplay with some obvious new gameplay elements as well as more wide-open environments and more enemies on screen at once. However, I think the added on screen enemies is causing some frame rate issues. If I start blasting some Covenant away with any sort of explosive, the frame rate drops and gameplay gets a little choppy. Not game breaking, but something worth noting.

The campaign was a engaging experience and was for the most part fun from beginning to end. Some of it was kind of cliche, but that is expected. They didn't do a really good job of making the characters very likable. I wasn't very attached to any of them, and I wanted to know a lot more back story of each character, what Spartan you were replacing etc. Although I did have a couple "damn that sucks" moments, overall, I didn't really care for these Spartans, let alone the main character, very much. Just a little more depth into what is happening would have helped as well. But the gunplay, storytelling, and mission objectives were all pretty fun, and well done. Two parts I was disappointed in was the ending, and the graphics. Maybe you will or do have a different opinion then me, but I didn't like the ending. I wanted a more epic ending but in my opinion, I got a little lull to end the game.

On to the graphics. Do they look good? Yes, but not great. Are they up to par with a lot of other AAA games out there? Meh, in some places yes, in others, no. This was a part they over hyped, watching those Bungie Vidocs made me think the graphics were going to be awesome. I would almost go as far to say that the graphics are not that much better than Halo 3s(they are, don't get me wrong). The guns have a lot more detail, same with the character models, but the environments don't look upgraded by a lot. As I said there are some frame rate drops here and there, but there are also hiccups during checkpoints, a lot of texture pop ins, and a lot of low res textures (especially on bushes and the like). Again, this doesn't ruin the experience, but I was disappointed by the graphics.

On to multiplayer. There is quite a lot of content in this portion of the game. There is Forge World, Theater mode, Firefight, Custom Games, etc. It should keep you busy for a long time. In the actual competitive multiplayer portion of the game, I found it to be a little frustrating. Rumble pit spawns are sometimes...well, horrible. I have literally spawned 2 feet away from someone, multiple times. One of the times, I played Team Snipers and I spawned with the other team! Knowing Bungie, this will probably be fixed, probably. I also see a lot of borrowed ideas from Shadowrun, the reticule bloom, some armor effects, just kind of deja vu, ya know? The only other complaints I have are that I feel like I didn't deserve certain deaths. Like some things just can't be prevented, in other games I know when I did something wrong, but here it just feels like its not my fault. Nade spam, crouching shotgun campers, bubble shield + oddball= win, double teamed, heat seaking plasma grenade launcher (lolwut?), tanks and banshees in Big team without any rockets in sight. Grenades, although toned down from the beta, are much stronger than in previous Halo games, and are very annoying. I hate the get shot, run behind a rock or similar, come back out, spam nades, one shot, win.

Another thing they have added is the credit system. This allows you to unlock new armor, armor effects, firefight voices, and other cool stuff. All of which adds a lot of replay value. Despite my gripes, the entire game is very fun and a good send off for Bungie, as it is their last Halo game. Good to see they have in some ways gone to their roots. I know I seem kind of negative in this review, but I guess I'm just a critical kind of guy. Trust me, I liked the game...really, I did. I recommend it to any Halo fan but for COD fans or people new to the series, I would recommend renting it first just because of the issues listed, the relatively short campaign, and the learning curve in the multiplayer.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Great game, no surprises there. My kids had no problem with the motion, but the through-the-eyes handheld camera "cinematic" look made me ill after about 20 minutes, so we play in small chunks so I don't blow large chunks. Fun game, though--and despite the constant war, there's little actual gore, fright or bad language. The good guys are clearly good, and the bad guys clearly bad. So from a language and morality standpoint I was okay with letting my smaller kids play this. It's not nearly as "mature" as many other games, and the violence is a lot more like Star Wars than the "historical" kind of war games.
on January 22, 2014
Warning: Contains SPOILERS!

I was never really a fan of the Halo series until about 4 years ago when this came out. My friend was playing it and asked if I wanted to join in. I always thought the Halo games were about stupid robots and aliens (at least thats what it looked like).
Until I sat down and played this.
This game has all the correct things that go into a perfect Hollywood war movie. If you've ever seen 'Black Hawk Down', then you already have a good idea of what this game is about. Since I first played this game when it came out, I played all the other Halo games as well and only own Halo 3, ODST, REACH, and Halo 4 (4 is really only decent for the online multiplayer) 1 and 2 were a little bland, but they are what started the series, so without them I guess this game would have never happened.
However, this game is what takes place before the events of Halo 1 even begin.
This team known as "Noble Team" are sent to the planet of REACH, where the Covenant have started a intergalactic war and pretty much ambushed the innocent planet of REACH.
Now I just want to take a quick second to say that Halo is a LOT, and I mean A LOT, like Star Wars in many aspects. If you are a Star Wars fan, then you will see many little things in these games that remind you of it. I'm assuming the creators at Bungie (the people who made the games) were big fans of SW themselves and put a lot of little bits of inspiration inside these games.
Back to this game though. You start off as Noble 6 and join up with your team who just lost a member, whom you are replacing.
It goes on from there where you discover the situation is much much worse than previously thought. To make matters worse, you have to take this 'package' (Cortana, A.I.) and get it off the planet. So you are pretty much stuck with 2 missions, one of which is impossible, defeat the Covenant and defend REACH.
Slowly, you start having each one of your teammates picked off, one by one. This game is very emotional and sad at times and the very end is beyond words.

***!!!SUPER SPOILER!!!***

You are now the only remaining survivor of your team and the last human on the entire planet and must fend off an infinite number of Elite troops all alone. They eventually overcome and kill you, but not before you go out like a complete BOSS!

All in all, this game is worth every cent and goes a long way. Even after you beat the game, you can go create your own little arena and have your friends invited to play along with whatever you want to go do. How much longer the servers will be up for this game is anyone's guess. (writing this as of Jan 2014) But even when they go down, this game will still be one of the best games of the XB360 era.

Pros: Every god damn thing about it
Cons: Still uses the old graphics engine from Halo 3 and ODST. Even without the newer engine used in Halo 4, it still looks awesome.

Conclusion: Why are you still reading? If you do not own this game, you are wasting time!
on April 20, 2011
Halo Reach...Bungies last official game for the Halo series before they toss the baton to 343 Industries for Halo 4...

A lot of people would love to spend time criticizing this game for reasons I don't personally see but hey...everyone has their own tastes. In terms of value, Halo Reach gives you an unprecedented amount of Multiplayer games and types, the ability to forge (create your own maps) out of nothing, an epic campaign and Firefight (Halo's horde version). Similar to COD, you get experience points, level up and can alter your character in Multiplayer. The multiplayer 'Spartan' you create actually is the same one you'll see in game which is awesome.

Halo Reach is an amazing game. The weapons feel good, the abilities change the whole format we've come to know about Halo. Some abilities cancel out others in terms of of being useful. The vehicles are back and better than ever.

You are either a fan of the series of Halo or you aren't. If you happen to be new to the series, what a wonderful game to jump into and get involved in considering this game is a prequel to the series.

This game will be releasing DLC still in the next coming months and will always have players playing. I've never had a hard time getting into a multiplayer match at all.

You can't jump as high as Chief but obviously considering you aren't Chief, 7 feet tall and the same generation of Spartans as Chief was. Chief came after Noble 6 (group in this game). The campaign explores a lot of the background story of the series, rather than what we've known about the series. Its an interesting side-story.

This game is worth the money. And if you disagree...It will always be wanted by someone who will gladly pay for it. As I've said before, in terms of value...Very little games can top Halo Reach or the Halo series in general.

See you out there on the battlefield Spartans!
on April 1, 2011
It's the best looking, most fluid and all-around solid Halo to date. Weapons are balanced, matchmaking has been improved, DLC is out and more on the way (which you can still enjoy matchmaking to the fullest extent WITHOUT having to buy the maps if you do not desire to) and no Halo title previously offered so much customization and various game modes.

Single player campaign is fantastic. It differs from the novel The Fall of Reach significantly, so if you haven't read it, you're fine. If so, you might rage a little, but overall I thought the game told a better version (and I read the novel long before the game was even hinted at). The musical score is jaw-dropping and tear-jerking at times (no, no one actually cries when they hear it) as you follow Noble Team down their path of inevitable defeat as the Covenant destroy the planet.

Multiplayer is very similar to Halo 3, but vastly improved, with a new voting system (pick one of three maps/gametypes or NOTA, which leads to a new round of voting). The biggest change in game play (which otherwise remains tried and true to the series) is the addition of equipment which aids you in various fashions. Furthermore, everything you do, whether in Campaign, Matchmaking, or Firefight, is tracked and rewarded with in-game credits which you spend to customize your Spartan's armor and firefight voice. Each day there are additional Challenges to be accomplished, such as "Kill X amount of enemies in Y mode today" which earns anywhere between 1000 and 2000 extra credits. There is also a (usually very difficult or time consuming) Weekly Challenge, which is always something that either takes a full week to complete (such as "Complete X amount of Daily Challenges this week") or something that is very difficult and requires additional players (like "Complete X Campaign Mission with 'LASO' (Legendary difficulty, All Skulls On)).

To summarize, Reach stands as one of 2010's biggest games and holds its value to this day as the best damn Halo game that Bungie has made. It took a long time, but they've perfected the Halo experience (with ironically no Master Chief to be seen. Coincedence? You decide). This is a must-have.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 21, 2010
Halo Reach Standard Edition

By now, most gamers have been engulfed in the Halo mythos, and well acquainted with the lore of SPARTANs and the Master Chief. Being a long-time player of first-person shooter games since the 1990s (Wolfenstein, Blake Stone, Doom), I've naturally played Halo, Halo 2, and a variety of other modern FPS games. However, I've not played Halo 3 or ODST, but I read other reviews indicating Halo Reach is by far one of the best Halo games to date. I have to agree with that consensus, mainly because Halo Reach takes many elements of story-telling, gaming, and immersing the player/viewer into a certain atmosphere and doing all of this quite well.

Halo Reach differs from previous Halo games by introducing other SPARTAN characters that have unique personalities. The best way to describe it is to take Call of Duty Modern Warfare, mix in Medal of Honor 2010, and then give the main characters SPARTAN-III armor. You get to blow away enemies while using the guns onboard rotary aircraft (Falcon, instead of a Blackhawk/Little Bird/AC130), make near-impossible jumps onboard said aircraft (ala CoD MW/MW2), use aircraft to destroy ground targets (piloting the Falcon, ala Cobra/Apache/Hind), and even pilot spacecraft (Sabre) to engage in space combat (uh... sorry, no CoD/MoH comparison here).

Some of the complaints I have are related to the vehicle controls. While Halo Reach does many things quite well, it still has the inadequate vehicle dynamics found in Halo and Halo 2. The warthog, Mongoose, and other wheeled vehicles don't "drive" like vehicles you typically use in other games. The split controls over the 2 analog sticks makes it confusing initially, but I am sure hardcore Halo veterans are already used to it. The Covenant vehicles are easier to maneuver because the controls feel more in tune with Descent (one of the first games to be truly 3D). The spaceflight controls aren't too bad, and it sort of resembles Descent Freespace or TIE Fighter.

Another area that I'm not fond of is in the weapons department. I found myself often running low/out of ammo when I needed them the most. Examples include an Elite charging at me with an energy sword, or a Brute charging at me with a Gravity Hammer. The enemy shields are often a pain in the butt. It started to remind me of Republic Commando where your weapons inflicted minimal damage against shielded enemies and I often resorted to just using melee to take them out more easily.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare / Medal of Honor offered better damage for friendly weapons, and granted this might make Halo "easier", but I'd assume the human race would figure out a new type of ballistic weapon that could penetrate shielding, penetrate armor, explode and set the enemy on fire in one single shot by the year 2552.

I bought Halo Reach about a month after it was first released, and I received a redemption code for a free Spartan Recon Helmet. Unfortunately, this code did not work. I performed a Google search and found out that Microsoft apparently makes the codes limited use until a certain day or when a certain amount of people have received the avatar award. I just know that I tend to buy more stuff when they give out some freebies even though they don't have to do so, and it was disappointing that they gave me a code that wasn't functional.

The sound effects and visuals are absolutely fantastic. Halo Reach is definitely darker and more immersive in nature than previous Halo games. The multiplayer modes offer variety and give a lot of replay value to the game. Some of the achievements were a true pain to achieve. For example, jumping off a cliff in the Pillar of Autumn map, and executing an assassination on an Elite just before you land took me about 90 minutes and hundreds of deaths! I still haven't had time to sit and earn 1,000,000 points in Firefight to get another achievement. Who thinks of these achievements??

Overall, I give Halo Reach 4/5 stars!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A prequel in the long-running Halo series, "Halo: Reach" delivers more of the same basic gameplay that's been present since the original "Halo: Combat Evolved"...and not much more.

Essentially, Halo: Reach is the same game as previous incarnations of the Halo series. The basic gameplay - a first-person shooter with vehicle elements - is intact, albeit with some minor changes. These changes include new abilities (though only one can be "equipped" at a time), some new guns (most of which are functionally identical to older ones), and a few short sequences in helicopters or spaceships. Playing the actual basic game feels almost exactly like playing old Halo games, with basically the same weapons, vehicles, enemies, etc. Because it's a prequel, they couldn't really add anything substantial - not that this stopped them from putting in a few new guns and vehicles that never show up in later installments.

One of the things that is, in a way, "new" is the customization of the main character. Previous Halo games have had customizable characters for multiplayer, starting with picking a color in Halo 1 and developing into different helmets, shoulderpads, and so on in Halo 3. In "Reach", the option has become available to pick a female Spartan (this option technically existed in Halo 3, but only affected the character's voice). In addition, the changes made to the model reflect in single-player, as well, since the Master Chief is no longer the main character.

A lot of the multiplayer modes from Halo: ODST have been brought over, including the cooperative Firefight mode. Other than that, it seems to be the same mix of multiplayer modes found in previous games - deathmatch, CTF, and so on. It's not bad, but it's not really original, either. ODST at least tried to do some new things with the hub concept and so on. Halo: Reach is just a retread. While this might not be bad, necessarily, it just seems like a lot of effort to go to make a new game with no real new characteristics. Even the voice actors seem bored at this point; all their performances are flat and dull, with hardly any emotion put into it.

There's an easy way to determine if Halo: Reach is a game that you, the consumer, will like. Did you like the previous games? Then you will like Halo: Reach. Did you dislike them? Then you will dislike Halo: Reach. It's almost more of an expansion than a new game. It's not a bad game in terms of design or graphics, but it's the same game as previous installments.

Rating: 7/10.

We purchased Halo Reach with our own money from a gaming store.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2011
Halo Reach is fun. Halo Reach is Challenging. Halo Reach has a learning curve. These are all good things.

Halo Reach or HR as the cool kids are calling it came out and I was too damn lazy to write a review. Since the recent release of another game *cough* MW3 *cough* I felt I'd take it upon myself to construct a quick review of one of my favorite first person shooters in recent memory. (see MW3 review for further details)

Since the 10th Anniversary map pack also just came out in conjunction with Halo Combat Evolved Redux this is the perfect time. (Is it really?) Anyways, Halo Reach hasn't gotten the attention it deserves because it's NOT a COD game. It's a game of strategy (even in team death match) Every encounter feels like a battle in HR, there is the potential to run away and/or stand your ground. Unlike MW where you die instantly, Halo is a little "slower" of a game because live longer and you actually have to work together! (gasp!)

The introduction of the armor abilities in HR, brought a new freshness to Halo that it needed. Halo and all it's incarnations are different. (unlike cod1,2,3 mw1,2,3,waw,black ops) Every version of halo has evolved and that's what I've come to expect from Bungie and the Halo franchise. That's what fans of the games have come to expect. The halo game designers spend as much time as needed to get the game ready and right before they release it. They don't publish a game "conveniently" every Holiday Season.(wait...who would do that?!?)

If your looking for something different, and haven't played a halo game since 2 or 3 this is the perfect time to try something different and "fresh"

GIVE THIS GAME A SHOT...see what I did there?
on December 28, 2010
I remember, in the hayday of Halo 1 & 2, I thought that it wasn't a big deal and people were exaggerating how good the games are. I still kinda feel that way, but I could be biased because I'm originally a PC gamer.

Eventually, I played the first two Halos. They were a little fun, but had some boring parts and sometimes seemed repetitive.

Now, having played all of them, I will say that I feel that Bungie improved with each installment of the game. Halo: Reach is very fun. I've played through the single player multiple times. Although it is linear, I enjoy the challenge of playing through it on higher difficulties and trying to achieve different milestones. The variety of weapons and armor altercations are also a welcome addition, adding more variety to a series that sometimes seemed plain.

Multiplayer? Do I really need to say anything. So many ways to woop your friends and provides hours of fun and trash talking.

Overall, I am surprised at how much I enjoy this game. It is worth purchasing . . . maybe a must buy.

Oh yeah, the first disk I received did not work in my console. I do not understand how Microsoft can make a console with, probably the highest failure rate among major consoles, have the console shred disks, remake it and it still have some of the same problems, then have their flagship title not work with some consoles. My console isn't even one of the originals, it's one of the elites. Either way, Amazon is AMAZING, because I had a replacement disk immediately (though it wasn't their problem).