4.0 out of 5 stars Scope of Halo is too much for just one book
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:22 Mins
When I first realise that another Halo art book is coming out, I was wondering what they are going to put inside.

Published on November 1, 2011 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
I must say that I'm not a Halo gamer. I just bought this book because I've been hearing so much about the whole Halo mythology and its immense popularity in the gaming industry. Being an avid fan of conceptual designs, I grabbed this book thinking that as the title suggests, it is really about a comprehensive look at the art and concepts of the whole Halo series. Turns...
Published on December 2, 2011 by Hengky Tanoyo

4.0 out of 5 stars Scope of Halo is too much for just one book, November 1, 2011
Length:: 1:22 Mins

Turns out this art book is sort of a look back at Halo from the art. That's looking back at 10 years of Halo, which really needs a few books to be comprehensive. So this book tries to cover in its 192 pages, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo: ODST, Halo: Wars, Halo: Legends and Halo: Reach. Seven titles if you're counting.

The art is grouped in chapters that look at the environment, the enemies, vehicles, alien beings, the good guys, Master Chief and homeworlds.

The art is beautiful. There are sketches and also huge paintings. Some are development art, some made it to final. Selected bits are featured so you only get snippets of information, bits and pieces of the whole Halo story. There isn't much duplication compared to other art books because the book shows new art and is made up of stuff that were left out in other books.

Because of the immense scope of Halo, this book is a bit underwhelming even though the art is spectacular. Something in my mind keeps telling me there's more. If you've seen Halo Encyclopedia, you know that there's a whole lot more.

If you want to check out more Halo art, you can look for The Art of Halo: Creating A Virtual World, The Art of Halo 3: Prima Official Art Book (incredibly rare), Halo: Reach Legendary Edition Guide (Brady Games Cover image may Vary) (art section at the back) and Halo Encyclopedia (the ultimate reference).

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I'd hoped for, but worth a purchase., October 29, 2011
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
I really enjoy this book, but it's not the be-all and end-all tome of Halo art they'd have you think. It's not a bad book by any means, it has a ton of great work in it, but coming from all of the other Halo books out there that feature art, I felt like this was a bit scattershot, more or less a grab bag of content. My biggest issue is that in an attempt to touch on as many facets of the entire franchise as it can, it leaves a lot of stones unturned and isn't very comprehensive.

Other books such as the Art of Halo, (which features Halo and Halo 2), the Art of Halo 3, the Halo Graphic Novel art section, the art section in the limited edition Halo: Reach strategy guide, and even the Halo Encyclopedia, tend to do a better job or show off the better work.

It's definitely worth a purchase, especially for Halo fans, but I regard it more as supplementary content than anything else. If you want to take a look at what I think is a perfect artbook in terms of layout and content, check out the Art of District 9. That's 160 pages for ONE film, versus 190 pages for the whole of the Halo franchise, IE 6 games and other content. Hard to do Halo justice in so few pages in my opinion, but it's a worthy attempt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great art book for any fan, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
So I didn't actually purchase this book. I won it from a YouTube contest and the book is signed by Frank O'Connor (Former Content Manager at Bungie who joined Microsoft and became the Creative Director for 343 Industries). I have played every Halo game to date, including Halo 1-3, Reach, ODST, and Wars. I'm a huge fan of the series and can't wait for Halo 4 and the Reclaimer trilogy. Hopefully even a Halo movie. This book is 192 pages.

This is my first art book so here is my perspective. Playing every game in the Halo series, I really didn't know or understand how concept art and sketches start and what processes the creative teams use to make them come to life. I have a new perspective on what goes into making characters, weapons, vehicles, planets, aliens, etc. basically everything that is in a game.

This book shows everything from the Halo series. When I say everything, I mean original sketches all the way to their evolved and final forms. Art from every game up to Halo Reach. Master Chief, Cortana, The Flood, The Covenant forces including grunts, brutes, elites, hunters and jackals, vehicles including the Warthog, Tank, and Covenant vehicles, all weapons and armor, ships including the Pillar of Autumn, and all world settings including Reach, Ring World, Earth, etc.

While I am sure there are more extensive art books for Halo (including the Halo encyclopedia), this book is very detailed and the images are truly vivid. If you are a fan of Halo or into the conceptual art in video games, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't express how much I like it., July 21, 2013
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
I'm one of the biggest Halo fans I know. I've been a fan since I was 10, back when Halo: Combat Evolved first released. It's been one hell of a journey. I don't collect many things, and though my most expensive hobby is definitely my love for cars, Halo might be second on that list. So, when I found this product on amazon, it didn't take much time for me to add it to my cart, along with a few other Halo books/art books.

And I was so glad I did. I can't really go into detail about it. If you're reading this, it is likely you're a big Halo fan, and the only question in your mind is "is this worth $25?"

To me, the answer is unabashedly yes. But I'm an admitted Halo-fanboy. I love the art, the music, the characters, the story, the gameplay, the canon, the history. This book is just another cherry on the lovely Halo cake. And I love cherries!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome! jus like the others, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
its hardcover... i can't remember if it comes in plastic wrap but i think it doesn't. but it came in perfect condition so i was very happy. just like others i've reviewed, it's an amazing look into he HALO universe. great for fans or collectors!

4.0 out of 5 stars fits my needs, May 28, 2013
Z (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
I expected a little more. Though not a halo fan, I do love the artwork from it. It did pack allot into this one book though. So since I don't plan on buying ever halo art book this works really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read., December 30, 2012
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
This is a great book about the artistry and creation of the halo universe. Lots of awesome art. If you own all the halo games then this is a book you will want to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, September 23, 2012
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
this book is so worth every penny. the art work is breath taking and if you love halo there is tons of stuff in here, about how they built the worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 19, 2014
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
It was a great book. Any halo fan will love this book. Anybody who is thinking about buying this book should go right ahead and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Halo: The Art of Building Worlds (Hardcover)
I bought this for my husband and he won`t put it down, the art is reallly beautiful. Definitlly a must have for collection.

Halo: The Art of Building Worlds
Halo: The Art of Building Worlds by Martin Robinson (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
Used & New from: $22.95