Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Customer Discussions > Halo Wars - Xbox 360 forum

Halo Wars Gamespot Review 6.5 OUCH!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2009 3:37:45 PM PST
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halowars/review.html

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 10:39:40 PM PST
bozkurt says:
Dissapointed as well !

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 8:54:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 4, 2009 1:17:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 12:11:25 PM PST
Mark Twain says:
This space is for discussing whatever you want, and whoever's opinions you want. It's not a space for you to tell others what they should discuss and what they should not. Reviews are completely legitimate discussion here.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 1:58:25 PM PST
DBU says:
Ok Mark Twain, I stand corrected, I deleted my comment, please, by all means, do read the article in Gamespot... Reviews are a legitimate topic.

BTW, Of all the reviewers, Gamespot gave the worst ranking, Gamespy gave it 4 stars and a half out of five, IGN 8.2 to 9.0, and so on. We can start a reviews war right here, the outcom will be 82% (as it is Metacritic or GameRankings).

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 9:45:02 AM PST
I'd agree with Gamespots score. A lot of people seemed to not like my review of Halo Wars, and I can see where they are coming from. It was definitely the best RTS game I've played on PC so far, but still it can't match PC. Both my girlfriend and I thought the game was remarkably similar to Warcraft III, and it came close I think to being comparable but the controls while efficient for a console, were still clumsy and couldn't allow for quick controls with the game unless you played it all the time.

What really brought my score down though was that the campaign was very short and not very well written, it seems that they are recycling story lines which makes it a bit dull. I suppose its hard to repeat the suspense from when you first encounter the flood in Halo 1, but I'd think they could make a different story line that takes place in the same universe but not use all the features of another. (I'm thinking Alien vs Aliens)

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 1:08:13 AM PDT
M. Moore says:
I think that Gamespot article sucks. The conclusion to the review states:

"Although Halo Wars can be rewarding and fun to play for a time, the short length of the single-player campaign and the lack of variety in the multiplayer ultimately leaves the game feeling unfinished and threadbare." -Luke Anderson (gave Halo Wars a 6.5 rating for Gamespot.com)

-Left 4 Dead 1P campaign was shorter than Halo Wars, and Gamespot gave Left 4 Dead 85%. The L4D review comments on the short 1P campaign.
-After reading Luke's take on the Halo Wars multiplayer, simply put, he's completely clueless on what multiplayer is like for Halo Wars. The truth is, multiplayer is the bread and butter of Halo Wars. And the multiplayer is like a mix of Warcraft 3 and Command & Conquer.

Also, I ended up liking the cookie-cutter bases (so players can focus on unit strategy, not spammy base/turret placement).
As for the lack of hotkey groups, if you were one of the Warcraft 3 or Command & Conquer players who took the effort to learn how to effectively use hotkey groups, then you will be able to still pull it off in Halo Wars.

This game is definitely a 4/5 stars, 8/10, 80-85%

Posted on Dec 18, 2009 2:14:05 PM PST
Kel says:
Gamespot is not and has never been the authority in gaming...
If you rely on Gamespot then you're part of the problem...
Freaks...

Posted on Dec 22, 2009 12:34:27 PM PST
TaiPan says:
Trolls, Kelly.

Freaks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Halo Wars - Xbox 360
Halo Wars - Xbox 360 by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.0 out of 5 stars (171)