5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!
I had mixed feelings about this book, based solely on the notes of other reviewers. How glad I am that I took the time to read it for myself! Kristen Heitzmann, again, took me to a place I was loathe to leave.

Published on July 17, 2006 by Aly-oops!

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK IS NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING!
Quite frankly, this book scared the crap out of me. The description of the book left me thinking it would be a simple and enjoyable read. Oh but it was not simple! I was left shaking in horror as I lay wide awake in bed. I definitely couldn't put the book down, the author is a great writer..but like I said, it scared the crap out of me...
Published 11 months ago by Lexi Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, July 17, 2006
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)

21 year old Alessi is a truly unique character, & one cannot help but love her. Through all of her struggles, which include being orphaned by 12 & unwanted by any of her biological family, she maintains her wry humor, warm heart, & non-judgemental spirt, along with her belief in miracles. Quick to forgive & offer a second-chance, Alessi is not about to take a handout from anyone. And oh, how she longs to belong somewhere!

Steve is scarred by women, having been abandoned as a boy by his mother & then again in adulthood by his fiancee. He's preparing to endure his first Christmas since his elderly father passed away. Gruff & bear-like, the reader knows the only way this boy's shell is going to crack is through the gentle, unassuming presence of Alessi.

The characters are lovingly developed, continuing to grow throughout the book as they learn more about God, themselves, & those around them. I found myself rooting for each one as they faced minor to catastrophic challenges. Even Carl, who I was pre-disposed to dislike, had gained my empathy by the end.

This is a beautiful story about God, love, forgiveness, faith, & miracles. The characters wormed their way into my heart & left me aching for their happiness. I personally could have used another chapter or two; perhaps merely an epilogue. I was not ready to let this story end. Instead I guess I'll just get a few more of Heitzmann's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful story about angels and love!!!, August 31, 2005
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
This is by far one of the most fun I have ever had reading a book in a long time!!! The storyline is wonderful and enchanting, keeping you entertained through the entire book. The story revolves around Alessi Moore, a 21-year-old woman who believes in halos and angels and is basically an orphan, having no family that wants her. She arrives in Charity, after seeing a halo around the town, only to have her car stolen with all her worldly possesions in it right from under her. She is befriended by Ben and Dave, two convenient store owners, who give her a room for the night and friendship that will last a lifetime. Arriving on the scene Steve, a guy who instantly gives Alessi a cold shoulder and tells her that her car will never be found. As the story progresses, Steve realizes he has fallen in love with Alessi and everything that she believes in. The suspense surrounding this story is the town has made a "pact" that no one will speak of. Alessi becomes the victim of cruel jokes, and the belief that no one in Charity wants to help her, except maybe Ben and Dave. That's all I'm going to say as far as the storyline goes, but I will go on to say that if you want a story that will entertain, keep you in suspense, and make you believe in angels, than this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I lost myself in the story from the very beginning..., February 27, 2006
Laura R. Witham (Anchorage, AK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
I found it very, very easy to loose myself in this book. Kristen Heitzmann does an excellent job of bringing the characters in this book to life. Alessi Moore is stranded in a town that makes it no secret her presence is not welcome. She's faced with horrible obstacles that would send most warm bodies running with their tail between their legs, but not Alessi. She stood firm and refused to leave, but she did it with a compassion that definitely put my spirit in check when I was reminded of all the times I could have loved instead of fought. I originally bought this book so I could have something to read during my lunch hour. Instead, I had it read the very weekend I bought it. The romance in this book was perfectly balanced which further affirms my love of Kristen Heitsmann's writing. She does not shy away from true human affection and emotion but she also doesn't cross the fine line of over or under doing it. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good romance/suspense novel without compromising their faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving..., June 24, 2004
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
Once I started on this book,I couldn't put it down. This is one of the best books I have ever read by Kristen Heitzmann. The story of a young woman in a tough situation with everything she has in the world stolen and a cynic yet lovable male character has his life and perspective changed because of her has moved me. Alessi Moore's kindness and optimistic outlook on life, changes the people around her and makes them see how the little good things in life go unnoticed and underappreciated. Steve Bennet is a cynical Christian with a not-so-very-glamourous life either. But his outlook is changed dramatically when Alessi comes into his life. The town of Charity also need to realize that their suppressed secret will still continue to harm innocent people. Will the miracle Alessi anticipated with the appearance of the halo around the sun will take place despite of the underlying attitude of the seemingly quaint town? Awesome story. Kristen Heitzmann is one of my favourite authors and I will read her next story "Secrets" which is coming out this fall and continues the story generations later of Quillan and Carina in the Diamond of the Rockies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, June 22, 2004
M. Pike "mairemccain" (Arlington, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
I have just read my first Kristen Heitzmann book. It will not be the last! I started reading this book at nine o'clock last night, stayed up until Midnight and put off work for several hours to finish it this morning. It is truly a testament of how one woman's small kindnesses affected an entire town, one that had been caught up in its secret guilt for far too long. The testimonies said about her shows how a person's actions speak way louder than their words. It is a gentle reminder how we should all live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating read, January 14, 2004
Jo28 "jo28" (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
With no on to turn to and only a beautiful red Mustang to her name, Alessi Moore drifts from place to place. When she sees a halo around the sun near the town of Charity, she knows she is meant to go there and that something wonderful awaits. Unfortunately, it seems only trouble was waiting. She becomes stranded in Charity and must count on the good will of a town where most people seem to wish she would simply disappear. The first friends she find in Charity are Ben and Dave, who take her in. That good will is short lived when their roommate, Steve, objects. Steve feels Alessi is up to know good. As Alessi struggles to stand on her own two feet, it seems others are just waiting for her to stumble. Alessi begins to wonder why exactly God would put a halo over a town where she is obviously not wanted. She even reasons that maybe the halo was meant for somewhere else. But she is in Charity now. The town seems charming at times, but coarse at others, as do the people.
Every step of her journey makes for a great story.
Alessi is looking for a place to belong. She's not accustomed to trusting anyone, though she does try to see the best in everything and everyone. Steve is still trying to heal from his own lifetime of hurt. He can't decide if Alessi is a trouble maker, or if she really is as innocent as she seems.
This is a sweet, touching book about overcoming old hurts and finding joy even in trials. Alessi's own journey to keep surviving is mirrored in the struggles of many of the characters she meets. From cover to cover, Halos races through inspriration, drama, and romance without stopping for a breath. It is not just a good read, it is a beautifully satisfying read. Kristen Heitzmann does a marvelous job weaving together this poignant tale about moving beyond the past and forgiving. The characters are believable. That was one thing that struck me from the very beginning. It is not a book full of saints, rather a book full of people that seem very real. The other great thing about the characters is how how developed they are. By the end of the book, you can really see to the hearts of the two main characters.
This is truly a wonderful book. I wish I could better put into words just how good it really is. This is the first book I have read by Kristen Heitzmann, but I will definitely be reading more by her soon. I just wish the book could be longer. I was more than ready to keep reading.
A single word to sum up Halos would have to be engaging. I recommend this book highly. It makes for a terrific read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plan to be hooked from page one!, March 14, 2004
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
Alessi Moore has been on her own since she was eighteen. While experiencing a snowfall for the first time in the town of Charity, she interprets the halo around the sun as a good sign. When her prized and only major possession, a red convertible Mustang is stolen, she begins to doubt whether Charity is a good place for her. With no money, clothes or place to go, she unfortunately must stay to find out if the town lives up to its name.
Charity does live up to its name as the town folks embrace Alessi. While suspicious about Alessi's predicament, Steve, a bookstore owner gives her a job. Due to his past and recent experience with women, Steve's lack of trust creates tension between the two.
Alessi is convinced that her stolen car is still in Charity. Her fears are confirmed as an unidentified individual plays prank after prank on her, each prank becoming more serious than the precedent one. While the town refuses to face the fact that evil DOES exist in Charity, Steve's heart begins to melt towards Alessi and her plight.
Kristin Heitzmann has become a force in the Christian romance/suspense market. Her latest book Halos will definitely seal her as a favorite among Christian fiction book lovers. Alessi's presence is almost "angelic" and magical as the halos she believes in. Her presence creates turmoil in the town of Charity and at the same time serves as an inspriation to discouraged individuals ... one being a very bitter man who learns how to love again ... this time falling in love with the woman destined to be for him from God. This story is emotionaly satisfying! Plan to be hooked from page one!
--- reviewed by Tyora Moody for Christian Bookshelf

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite great, September 14, 2009
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
I'm not familiar with inspirational fiction, but I had heard very good things about Kristin Heitzmann, so I thought I would give this a try, along with one other of her works (A Rush of Wings.) Heitzmann's prose style is good and fluid--a must for me to find any book I read enjoyable, and she does an adequate job of creating a suspenseful atmosphere, as Alessi starts to realize that the town may not be what seems, and the mystery behind Charity's facade is slowly revealed. However, there are a few things I didn't care for in the book. First, Steve's distrustful attitude toward Alessi grated on me, to the point that it interfered with my ability to warm up to him. Second, I felt that Alessi's supposed "spunkiness" became rather irritating after she starts realizing she's being stalked. Her refusal to leave the room in the shop where she sleeps to go stay with Steve and his family after her stalker has just assaulted her with a bucket of ice water *on her very doorstep* is a case in point. The stalker has demonstrated that he knows where she lives and that he is willing to harm her; I don't care how much she wants to have a place of her own, that's veering into "too stupid to live" territory.

I also have a few problems surrounding the substance of "the pact." Without giving away spoilers, I'll just say I found it very unlikely that things could have gotten as out of hand as they did without the police being involved, and Pastor Welsh's ability to create this pact and enforce it on the town carries some rather creepy "Jim Jonesish" overtones. Still, the way Heitzmann draws out the mystery of the pact is very well done and definitely kept me turning pages to find out what happened next. Overall, this was an engaging book, but probably not one that I'll feel any compulsion to reread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy,Suspenseful, Heartwarming,all in one!, September 16, 2008
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
Once again this author has amazed me with her originality,and writing skill.

This is my third book by her,after Edge of Recall and Freefall. Each one was a five-star read for me,and it's impossible for me to choose a favorite!

This book was another page-turner,as were the other two.

The main character Alessi More is a very sweet naive young woman with a heartbreaking past. Her sweet nature touches many hearts in the small town of Charity where she becomes stranded.

There is a very misguided Pastor in this town and a horrible pact the residents have adhered to.

The author does her usual fabulous job of developing the characters so that we readers develop strong feelings of camaraderie with some,and very strong distaste for others.Plus her descriptions of the surroundings,had me imagining the scent of the evergreens,and feeling the cold!

Next I will move on to her Historical Romances and see if her originality still shows,LOL!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful story!, October 20, 2007
Joey N. Mikey (Windsor, CT.-USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halos (Paperback)
A lovely story to enjoy on a rainy day! A few lessons to be learned about human nature, the gift of forgiveness , and that miracles can and do happen that defy any scientific explanation! Can't wait to read more of Kristen Heitzmann's books.

Halos
Halos by Kristen Heitzmann (Paperback - January 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01