Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation STEM

on May 2, 2011
"Hamburger America," is the greatest book ever written about the greatest food item ever, written by the greatest Burger lover ever, George Motz. The book has now been "Completely Revised and Updated," just as the title states.

The original edition of the book featured 100 stories, reviews and photos of some of the most important Burgers that make this great country as great as it is. It is a veritable bible of quality Hamburgers that can be used as a historically based road map for those of us on a Glorious Pursuit of Delicious Burgers.

I met George in October of 2009 as he invited me out to have a Burger at Schnipper's Quality Kitchen in NYC, which later was added to my list of The Best Burgers in NYC on burgerconquest.com. George is always smiling, always laughing. always excited to eat and or talk about Burgers and is the man behind The NYC Food Film Festival. It's a week long event based around George's passion for film and food. It's a fantastic series of events and when they announce the line up for 2011, you best jump to get tickets.

George is the Indiana Jones of Hamburgers and this book is his way of keeping the ark from becoming lost. No Hamburger lover should be without.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2013
Author George Motz comes across in his book (AND his TV show) as someone who is genuine and passionate about the All American Hamburger. He's thorough and complete in his choices by state, and seems to be the type of guy you'd LOVE to not only sit down and enjoy a burger and a beer with, but road tripping with him would be a never ending stretch of fun stories, experiences and adventures. The book is a must have for anyone that enjoys hamburgers.
on April 30, 2016
I love this book. I read it slowly to make the pleasure last. In the Kindle edition there is some confusion regarding the photgraphs. Since the Kindle eliminates pages, knowing which burger photos go to which restaurant is often not clear. This is a better read on the Kindle Fire than the Paperwhite due to the color photos of restaurants and sandwiches.

Reading this book makes me hungry. I like it to use in my own home experimentation with cooking the ultimate home burger, which is harder than it seems since most restaurants have access to better ingredients than most of us can get in the grocery store.

I would like to add a couple comments based on personal experiences at a few of the restaurants in this book: You can easily miss the Billy Goat Tavern in downtown Chicago, the burgers there are totally not anything special. And with Hackneys on Harms in Glenview, IL, don't go to this location, it's a crowded cramped restaurant with limited parking. Instead, just a few miles to the west on Lake Avenue is the much larger much nicer Hackney's on Lake in the same town, exact same food with better surroundings and a huge parking lot.

I was not surprised to see a total lack of famous burgers from Arizona which made me consider writing that book myself.

Now what we all need is to compel George to write a next addition covering all new selections, coast to coast, or perhaps regionally (Hamburger America, East of the Mississippi?) Come on George, you know you need to do that for America!
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2014
Sounds like a cookbook. HAMBURGER AMERICA by George Motz. What is a love story about hamburger (not really) and a travel guide to fine the best burger stands in the country. It is THE burger guide (there aren't many). I really enjoyed the book. It made my mouth drool. This book is divided by states and a little history of each burger joint with addresses and hours provided. Hit the road! Have a burger. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on July 12, 2011
This is a great book for hamburger lovers all over. I live in Oklahoma and have already tried some of the joints here in my state. Can't wait to go on vacation. This is a must for road travelers.
on June 30, 2014
I found this book quite interesting though a bit repetitive at times. I planned to only read a little here and there but wound up reading the whole book. It was surprising the types of places where good hamburgers can be found and the variety of ways they can be prepared.
on July 2, 2013
I accidentally found "Burger Land" on the Travel channel, which eventually led me to this book. I really like the series on TV and was ready to buy the first edition. Before I could order the second, updated version came out. This is a goldmine of information about burger places to try, organized by state. It's a fun book to look through (don't do it on an empty stomach) and will be useful to us as we travel the US. Recommended.
on July 29, 2013
I saw this book while watching Burger Land on the Travel Channel. There were several burger places that we want to try and this book covers those same places as the program did. Disappointed that it is now off the air! The book (and the program gave very insightful information about the city, the burger place and the main thing, the burger itself. The book goes further in giving the address and in some cases the phone number. I was disappointed that not every state was represented in the book, but those that were have some burger places that we will definitely visit. Now that we have the book, it can travel with us and we can find those delicious bites.
on July 30, 2013
By George, I think hes got it! A perfect travel companion. Also gives good hints about making burgers at home (you can easily replicate many of the styles and recipes). I highly recommend this to every young chef who wishes to start a burger stand. I hope George makes it to Phoenix soon - we gotta get on his map.
on April 22, 2012
Last summer, I drove from LA to Memphis, using a GPS and a copy of Hamburger America for navigation.
Reading account after eye-watering account, I ventured into joints where I never thought I'd go, discovering new flavors, meeting different people, and sharing stories over a Coke, burger and fries.
Food is culture. Culture is identity. Stopping at burger joints in each State along the way contributed more in the way of discovering the nation and its people than siteseeing and museum visits. The small, light, juicy burgers of California. The oversized, sizzling fried onion burgers of El Reno, Oklahoma. The delicious deep fried burgers in Memphis, Tennessee. The overpriced burgers in New York.
Every time, Motz's writing gave context and a sense of place and history to this most humble and mundane of foods.
For travellers, this book is essential reading.