5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for bagels!
Published on March 9, 2012 by Ali Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Great For English Muffins.
I bought this toaster after reading the one single 5 star review, but this item doesn't perform as well as I had expected.

Published on September 4, 2012 by J. Fig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for bagels!, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 22444 SmartToast Extra-Wide Slot Toaster (Kitchen)
I purchased this toaster because I like toasting bagels, and had trouble getting them out of the traditional toaster designed to toast bread. This toaster is designed for a bagel lover. It has functions that toast on one side, and handle frozen bagels as well as frozen toast (works best on thick slices). I am pleased with the toasting function. If you like long sliced artisan breads, however, they are likely to poke out of the slots of this toaster and the entire slice will not be toasted.

One nice feature is that the crumb tray which used to slide out from the back in my older model has been moved to the front, so it is now easier to remove the crumbs.

The outside stays cool to touch, so you don't get burned if you touch it.

The toaster looks very nice and its size is 12.5" x 7.9" x 9.3". The power cord is about 1.5 feet.

Ali Julia review

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Great For English Muffins., September 4, 2012

The title of this review says it all. This toaster is not so great with English Muffins. I have tried all settings, from light to dark toast and also the bagel option. English muffins come terribly under toasted every single time, so I'm forced to put them in twice to get a nice even brown. If not, they come out barely toasted and just in some spots, mostly the edges, but the middle is as white as they are before putting them in. The instructions say that using the "bagel" option is a good idea for english muffins, of course, I tried it, but this gave me the same results, under toasted muffins.

For regular bread, the toaster is good. I didn't tried it with any artisan type of bread, so I can't say much about that.

The toaster's housing is made of plastic, which helps to keep it not cool, but safely warm during and after operation, so no burn risk exists. It has 7 toasting stages, three buttons, one for Bagel, Cancel and Defrost. It has a crumb tray under, out the back. It slides out easily for a quick clean up. The cord is about 1.5' long.

If you are like me, who eats english muffins, more than bread, then stay away from this toaster. I wanted to give it 3.5 stars, but that's not an option. Anyway, Good Luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasts quickly!!, November 18, 2012
I bought a T-fal Classic Avante 4-Slice Toaster in March of 2009, in late 2011 the right side crapped out and doesn't work. I bought this Hamilton Beach because it takes less space and was inexpensive. Love the Hamilton beach so far. It toasts REALLY fast and takes little space. Definintely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as long as common toast so have to push it in, December 12, 2012
The toaster works great as a toaster with very even browning. But, the length is less than common bread like Miltons, so you have to push them in at the top.
The bagel mode works well but be aware that you have to have the insides out-facing. The previous toaster I had wanted them facing in (just slice and drop in). It is strange to heat the outer elements vs. the inner but once you realize this, it works fine.
The toaster is faster than our previous fancy German brand and it is more even in the heat, not what I expected. So, I am overall very happy with it, but gave it 4 stars due to the length issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hamilton Beach SmartToast Extra-Wide Slot Toaster, December 26, 2012
First thing to know. When I received I put toast in right away. Apparently not a good idea. It had a plastic chemical smell that was literally smoking. I immediately took the bread out and toasted on dark for about three times before it finally went away.

Apart from that it looks nice, seems to be toasting well and is basically a cheap nice looking toaster. I am not a toast snob and unless toast suddenly becomes burned for no reason, I'm generally pretty easy going with a toaster as long as it works. This one seems to work... just have to get rid of that horrible burn off.

***UPDATE 2013.04.24***
After using this for a while, I'm over the chemical/rubber burning smell and I'm bumping to four stars. It's a basic toaster, it toasts based on time and will make your toast crunchy. It looks nice and it's been working well. Originally I had at three stars but I think it deserves four and possibly five based on bang for the buck price. If you're looking for a simple cheap toaster, I've been happy with it.

AS for the burn off, I toasted it empty three times and it seemed to have faded away by then. It hasn't returned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Toaster has two major flaws., January 29, 2013
I was in the market for a cheap toaster, so was not expecting perfection. I live alone, so I also don't need anything that can handle heavy abuse. I just wanted something to toast bread, bagels and English muffins a few times a week. This toaster has a couple of strange quirks.

1. The elements that toast the bread are only on one side of each slot. I suspect this is for toasting bagels. It wasn't a huge deal for me: if I wanted something toasted on both sides, I just toasted it, flipped it around, and toasted again.

2. The biggest issue for me is the way the metal top of the toaster is raised. In just a couple of weeks, I have burned myself on the metal three or four times trying to extract an English muffin. I'm not generally a klutz in the kitchen (at least not to this extent), I think it's just badly designed.

1.0 out of 5 stars leaves top of bread untoasted, March 11, 2013
Doesn't fit a standard sized slice of bread or other similar size items height wise; leaves the top sticking out and unevenly toasted...

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working properly after six weeks, May 10, 2013
Two things prompted this choice: price and brand-name. Neither turned out to be reliable.

This toaster has a sort-of-diffuser plate between the heating elements and the bread to be toasted. I suppose this is supposed to make the toasting more even. What it actually does is to make the toasting much, much slower than I recall in the toaster this one replaced. If you're trying to toast something frozen, plan some sort of project in the kitchen to occupy your time while the frozen bread thaws and then toasts.

Second, the "catch" which holds the bread down in the toaster when you depress the slider downwards ceased "catching" after about six weeks. This was well past any expectation that I had that I could return the item as defective. So, I was resigned to holding down the slider (which caused the toasting cycle to begin). After about three minutes of heating, the "catch" would catch. Evidently, heat caused something to expand, thereafter permitting the toaster to function properly.

Later, I discovered accidently that if I pressed down the plunger-bar and THEN pushed this bar firmly toward the center of the toaster, something would "catch." This discovery has kept me from ordering a different toaster to replace this one.

Still, when it comes time to ditch this slow-poke, I'm NOT going to order another Hamilton Beach toaster. NOR will I purchase one that has this diffuser plate feature. I have better things to do with my breakfast time than to stand idly in the kitchen, waiting for a toaster to do its thang.

1.0 out of 5 stars Below average, Broke within a month, September 13, 2013
J. Stark (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I purchased this toaster for my apartment; I was looking for something cheap and the reviews seemed relatively good.

Within a month of owning this toaster (and probably using it fewer than 10 times) the lever stopped working, rendering it completely useless.

A perfect example of you get what you pay for. I should have paid more and still had a working toaster, instead I wasted 20 bucks. Pass.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pop-up Lever Failed after a few uses, August 6, 2013
I previously owned a Hamilton Beach wide slot toaster which did a great job with bagels and regular toast. This model was inferior in that one side of regular bread was much darker than the other requiring the toast to be flipped midway through the toasting cycle. Okay for bagels, not good for bread. Then the pop-up mechanism jammed. given the price, not worth the hassle of returning or getting a refund.

Hamilton Beach 22444 SmartToast Extra-Wide Slot Toaster
$24.99 $20.60
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies