4.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Catch On Fire (Yet)
You know what's awesome about this toaster oven? It's not trying to kill me.

Published on February 13, 2012 by Annietown

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact but often uneven toasting
The good:
* The toaster is compact and perfectly fits in my small New York City kitchen.
* There is a cleaning tray on the bottom that collects the crumbs - easy to clean
Published on March 1, 2012 by Staizha

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Catch On Fire (Yet), February 13, 2012
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
You know what's awesome about this toaster oven? It's not trying to kill me.

My Black and Decker Toast-r-Oven was basically a flame thrower, which would be awesome in ANY other place except my kitchen and maybe a pre-school. So I got this Proctor-Silex/Hamilton Beach Compact Toaster oven as a replacement because the fire thing was starting to concern me, for some reason. So far this has not caught on fire. Therefore I am happy. You know what else makes me happy? Toast. I love toast. I definitely love it more than you do, not that it's a competition or anything. When was the last time you said "I love toast"? Probably never. What I'm trying to say is that I'm an authority on toast. If toast were a country, then I would be prime minister. Maybe even dictator, but the nice kind. I would give everyone toast and a variety of jams. Strawberry, apricot, marmalade. Whatever you want. In return you have to do my laundry and give me money. Not a big deal.

Pros:

1. It is affordable. A toaster oven for about $20! That's ludicrous. You'd think that it wouldn't work. You'd think that for $20, it'd be a cardboard box with a light bulb and maybe a rack. But, no! It's legit. It's even made out of metal.

Now, you may be swayed by the $200 Cuisinart toaster. Sure, go ahead and buy it, Dr. Moneybags. That is like the Lambo of toaster ovens. But unfortunately I don't have $200 to spend on a machine that makes bread crunchy. I rather spend it on other things. My co-worker just got a plastic elephant watering can and it's pretty badass. I may get it, and guess what? I don't even have plants. See, if I spent more than $20 on my toaster oven, I wouldn't even consider getting this plastic elephant watering can. And my life would be ruined.

2. It is compact. If you have a small kitchen, then this is a good choice. If you have a small refrigerator and small furniture and small dishes, then this toaster will match your kitchen.

3. The labels are in English and in French. So if you have French-speaking guests, they will not be confused as to how to operate the toaster oven. They'll be like, oui oui, j'aime toast and you'd be like, yo también! As you know, toast brings people of all colors and cultures together.

4. The timer ticks and dings. This is a pro only because my last toaster oven didn't ding. The only way you knew the toast was done was when it went up in flames.

Cons:

It's small. The scientists at Proctor-Silex/Hamilton Beach were not kidding when they said it was compact. If you like GIGANTIC slices of bread or MEDIUM slices of bread, then you can only toast one slice at a time. This is irritating, especially if you like to eat gigantic or medium sized toast in pairs.

If you prefer regular sized bread, and you are a family of >1, then this might be a pain because you can only toast two pieces of bread at a time. If you are a family of '1 but you eat as much toast as a family of >1, this machine might also be inconvenient. So my suggestion is to eat tiny pieces of bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm the first one?! I am very happy with this little toaster oven., February 3, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
I have never had a toaster oven before so my review might affected by having nothing previous to compare to, but here goes:

I wanted a small, 2 slice toaster oven, because I am a 1 person family. There were only a couple choices on Amazon and the other choice seemed to be rated as too small by other buyers. So I chose this Proctor Silex(at that time)unrated model.

It takes up only a little more space on my counter than my old 2 slice toaster did. It is very mechanical in its operation. ("Tick..tick..tick..Ding!") I assume this oven is marketed more outside this country because none of the words around the dials are in English. I thought that amusing. There are little pictures of the functions and the temp settings in both F. and C. so no problems. We all read every word of our operating manuals, right?

This little oven will hold 2 generous slices of bread-I've done 3 slices of french bread at a time. No problem broiling open faced sandwiches with plenty of toppings. Only the fattest of sweet rolls or muffins may have to be split.

This oven has created the most evenly toasted bread I have had for ages. (My retired toaster was pretty old.) If it did nothing else it would be worth the bargain price I paid. I make mini pizzas on english muffins a lot and for this it works perfectly as well.

The upper and lower heating elements are encased in tubes, the lower one protected with perforated metal to reduce crumb burning, I assume.

Oh, and one thing that was never mentioned anywhere I tried to research this item before I bought it--it is 800 watts.

I am very happy with the little unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little toaster oven, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
After weeks of searching for a 2 slice toaster oven (most are 4 or even 6 slice) this is exactly what I was looking for. I have very little counter space and it fits perfect in the space where I wanted to put it. I read a lot of reviews and have to say that it meets all expectations. Cooks more evenly than my old 4 slice. If you're looking for a toaster oven that doesn't take up much space and works great, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Design, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
I figured, for $16, I'd give it a shot. The toaster oven arrived in just three days and it is beautiful. It has an industrial design look to it, which fits any decor. It also has the Procter Silex label. It reminds me of something people would have designed back in the 'seventies before they started covering over metal with painted finishes. (The top has an embossed "HOT SURFACE / SURFACE CHAUDE" that evokes the aesthetics of the Bauhaus.) As another reviewer noted, the door handle is oversized, which enables you to open it all the way down onto the counter--brilliant. There is a loud tick, tock, too, as others have noted, but we find it endearing--and it keeps you mindful that you've got a bagel in there so you can keep an eye on it. The controls are straightforward, and so far the bagels have been toasted perfectly. We REALLY like the size, as it does not take up much counter space. I hardly ever write lengthy reviews, but this design is so smart, functional, and aesthetic that I just had to do it. I'd buy it again at twice the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small toaster oven for the price!, May 31, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
We've used this for about a week now and so far, it's been great -- especially considering that it's one of the least expensive toaster ovens out there. First thing you'll notice is that it's almost all metal -- very little plastic unlike some more popular models. Yes, it looks a little utilitarian but that's part of its charm I think. Second, it is very small; not much bigger than a regular toaster but big enough for two standard slices of bread. This was important to us since we don't typically leave things out on our counter and was the main reason we bought it. (That and the good reviews.)

As to the toasting / broiling quality, it's very good. In fact, the toast quality and evenness from this puppy is much better than the stainless steel Hamilton Beach we got from Costco and ended up returning. It's also versatile featuring a small bake tray, mechanical timer plus broil, temperature bake and toast settings.

As others have commented, this model looks like it's built more for the international market (maybe it comes in a 220v version??).

The one odd looking thing is the rather over-sized handle on the door. When you drop the door down you realize that it's that way to allow the door to sit open on the counter without having to have those folding hinge things that always bend or break.

Simple, convenient, small, works well. Now we'll just see how long it lasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars the little toaster that could, May 8, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
I love this. Its small, but perfect for my own use. Holds 2 slices of bread just fine. Toasts evenly on both sides. True to the dial - it toasts 'light' when you set it on light,etc. And that tick..tick..tick..ding (as another reviewer says) is a delight. It fits right in with hearing the coffee perk and the bacon sizzle. I've used it for a month now and hope it lasts forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect little toaster for our needs, September 11, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
Great little toaster oven. Almost did not purchase due to complaints of one-side toasting only. We find it toasts both side quite well. It may be that the setting on the toaster was mistakenly incorrect in those cases. There is a setting for toasting the top only, and another that allows both top and bottom elements to heat thereby toasting evenly. We did it wrong the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact toaster / broiler, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
This is working out great for us. We wanted something small for defrosting, toasting and broiling. It fits two big pieces of bread easily and the depth seems plenty roomy for bagels, muffins etc.
I suspect the reviewers who complain it burns one side probably don't have the rack in the correct position. Because I'm finding it toasts extremely well.
I love the look of it -- has kind of a sleek, commercial kitchen feel to it. And it takes up very little counter space, which was a must.
The one negative comment would be that the audible ticking of the timer might bother more sensitive types. Oh, and that you have to use the timer to turn it on, but then again that's a safety feature, right?

CORRECTION: You don't have to use the timer. Just set the temp to where you want it, then turn the bottom knob to the left to where it says "ON".

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds my expectations, August 7, 2011
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
This cute, little toaster oven has so far (5 weeks) been perfect for my needs. I love the simple design, materials and small size. It has done well with baking and making toast. One needs to read the directions, so that you insert the rack correctly for properly toasted bread. It's more user-friendly for my needs than a dozen other models viewed at multiple retail stores: it maintains its "Toast" setting from use to use, so that all I need do is to set the timer (one operation only). I don't mind turning the bread half-way through a toasting, but if you don't do that, you'll get rack wire marks on the toast. I paid $10 more for it than it's now advertised at, and I still consider that it was a wonderful bargain. I agree with the reviewers that guessed that it was designed for a European market (size, aesthetics, controls).

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact but often uneven toasting, March 1, 2012
Staizha (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler (Kitchen)
The good:
* The toaster is compact and perfectly fits in my small New York City kitchen.
* It comes with 2 racks: the usual metal rack for bread/bagel toasting and a broil pan (I use it for sandwitches or other food that might leak - very useful so the cheese or sauce doesn't drip on the heating element).
* The door opens all the way so its handle can rest on the counter while you take your time removing the food
* Very good at toasting sandwitches with chese/bbq chicken or any other topping

The annoying:
* It's counterintuitive to have to turn the timer past 5 min and then back to approx. 3 min if you want to use a toaster
* Unfortunately, the simple toasts and bagels come out uneven. The half of a bagel sitting towards the middle is burned and the half sitting on the right/left-hand side of the toaster is light).

Overall, if you are looking for a space saver and will need to toast/heat up sandwitches or buritos - it's a great buy! For simple toasts (especially if you like them crispy and have a lot of kitchen space), be careful as you may get a half-burned bagel.

Ps Compact Toasteroven Broiler