4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean and use
Published on March 15, 2011 by mjs1027

Published on March 6, 2012 by Cecil

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean and use, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 31230 Set & Forget Toaster Oven with Convection Cooking (Kitchen)
We bought this oven online. So far, we've toasted bagels, made frozen pizza and baked potatoes in it. They've all come out perfect. Control panel is super easy to use, and the oven is easy to clean with teflon lining. Make sure this is what you want, though. Only a limited number of toaster settings (Light, Med. Light, Medium, Med. Dark, Dark) are available - none in between. There are no dials. Also, Only oven temperatures like this are available (... 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400, 425 ...) - none in between. You can't bake anything at 385 degrees - only 375 or 400 degrees. Also, it's a little slow to preheat. But all in all, we love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Set and Forget" is a good value.......I'm satisfied, September 7, 2011
I've had the Set and Forget for a month now and, overall, it works pretty much as advertised.

Toast settings are accurate and produce perfect toast, although it takes a while. Baking works well as long as you are mindful that the temperature settings are up to 25 degrees low across the range, particularly on the lower rack position. This can be corrected of course by raising the temperature, or by using convection mode which more evenly distributes the heat (don't look for 450 degrees). I have not tried roasting a chicken, and probably never will. Baking a 12 inch pizza works fine, but takes longer than expected. The warm setting is a nice feature. Broiling works fine, but for some reason the instuctions don't mention keeping the door in the detent open position for broiling.

Speaking of the instructions, at one point they recommend not placing the toaster-oven inside a full size oven. Good advice I'm sure. But I must say that really got me thinking.

The exterior quality is a little cheesy. It was probably made in China,(ha ha). IT NEEDS AN INTERIOR LIGHT! I only hope that the heating elements don't become distorted as on my old Delonghi.

I would recommend it to anyone, but with the aforementioned caveats. If "Cook's Illustrated" likes it, I like it.

Did I mention an interior light?

1.0 out of 5 stars Convection fan quit working after only 2 weeks, HB wants $25 to repair., March 6, 2012
This was a nice toaster oven for the first 2 weeks, at which point the convection fan quit working. I called Hamilton Beach to see about getting it fixed. They said we should cut off the cord, send it to them along with a check for $25 to replace the oven. I'm sure this is probably a relatively rare occurrence, but I think it is wrong to charge to replace a defective item when it is still under warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, October 4, 2010
I bought this oven as an replacement. If you want an oven that cooks accurate this is the one for you. I have used it several times to bake brownies and several carrot cakes in a bundt pan and they have come out perfect. The toasting feature works well also. The reason I bought this oven was I like the digital temperature probe and so far it too has been accurate. I know you can buy less expensive toaster ovens, but this one is well worth the extra dollars spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best all around toaster/oven we have owned, June 5, 2012
Long gone are the days of the decently made and cheap toaster ovens. The cheap ones are real crap and the well made ones offer more than you need and still do not always do what you want. Our old B & Decker lasted for over 10 years, it was small and toasted very well. Once it died we have been thru 2 other ovens, a De Longhi and a newer B & D and they all were unsatisfactory on some levels or died after a short life span. This H Beach is really more than we need as we almost never really cook in it, but as a toaster it is near perfect. The price is a bit steep, and I wanted to wait a year to be sure it did not die like the others, so I can safely say now this is a well designed, easy to clean and easy to operate toaster and oven.
It has handled everything we have thrown into it, from pizza to re-heating leftovers, broiling baking and especially toasting. The toaster gets 80% of the use and we are very satisfied and would recommend it. It's a bit more than we wanted to spend but at this point worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Door glass shattered--safety hazard!, October 18, 2011
I'm writing this review about 6 mos after purchasing this unit from Amazon. It was an excellent toaster and oven; however, it was a slow, inefficient broiler (hot dogs took about 10 minutes to cook). What prompted my writing the review today was the spontaneous shattering of the door glass while toasting bread. There had been no trauma to the door. I notice one other reviewer had a similar experience. I'm somewhat relieved that glass shattered into little pieces as auto glass does, but it exploded outward, and I'm really glad my daughter for whom the counter is at eye level was not standing nearby when it did.

I phoned the manufacturer to report what had happened, and the Hamilton Beach representative indicated that the glass-door-shattering problem is a known issue with some of these units. They want to examine the unit at their facility and will pay for the shipping. The remedy: they offered to send me a replacement once they receive the original. Said the call center rep: "I cant' in good faith say that it won't happen again" but in the collective experience of all call center staff, they'd not heard of a recurrence in replacement toasters. Then she said "There's a 99% chance that it won't happen again". A 1% recurrence probability feels pretty risky to me. I'm surprised that HB would accept such a high (re)failure risk, and I wonder if the probability estimate is actually based on data. I asked for a refund, but she said that was not possible. The return period at Amazon has closed. I doubt I will use the replacement.

UPDATE FEB 2012
My wife wanted to use the replacement, so we kept it. She's convinced me to accept the company line that one batch of glass for the oven doors was bad and they've replaced it with better stuff. So far so good. As before, toasting is very good but broiling slow. We don't really bake in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toaster oven overall, October 25, 2011
JCC Reader (Palo Alto, California) - See all my reviews
Our old Black & Decker toaster oven died so we did a bunch of research and concluded that this Hamilton Beach might do the trick. We've had it for a couple months now, and we really like it. The touchpad controls are easy to get used to. The oven temp and toaster settings seem accurate -- things toast or heat up or bake in the timeframe we would expect for the temperature setting. The oven seems to toast evenly (bread, etc.). For baking a small batch of cookies (from the prepared cookie dough) this oven works great. It preheats very quickly, and beeps to tell you it's at temperature. It does not make an annoying ticking or buzzing sound when it's toasting -- you just pick a setting on the touchpad (light, dark, etc.) and this translates to a pre-set amount of toasting time. This toaster oven also has more interior space than we had before, and our old one seemed pretty big. This one is taller inside and deeper -- so it would be easy to imagine baking a small chicken. We'd recommend this oven and feel that it was worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toaster/Convection Oven, March 21, 2011
Having tried a number of toaster/convection ovens I was happy that I ordered this one. It toasts bread quickly and perfectly and the settings are true to their description. It has a modern face and design and fits very nicely on my counter. I would recommend this oven!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous failure mode:needs product recall action, September 11, 2012
We were delighted with our Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Toaster Oven when it first arrived at the end of July, 2012. It toasted six oversized slices of sourdough bread to perfection simultaneously. It broiled with no smoke, with enough power to properly caramelize meat or fish or vegtables to seal in juice and release flavor. We generally unpluged the toaster oven when we finished cooking with it. Twice we forgot to unplug it and it "self activated". The toaster oven heated up on its own, with nothing showing on its display. This is to say that the display was blank, the toaster oven plugged in and it heated itself up without human input. It is a burned down house waiting to happen. I hope we got the lemon and other Hamilton Beach Toaster Ovens are reliable. Ours was dangerous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for our previous toaster oven, March 11, 2012
Especially since the last one really didn't toast a couple pieces of bread or an English muffin all that well! I was surprised to read that same complaint in researching other units but apparently that was fairly common. The standard toast setting on this makes it exactly the way we like it but of course can be adjusted. No turning or flipping required.

I haven't cooked a whole chicken in here yet as we usually prefer parts but it worked great for that! I wish I'd thought to use the tempeature probe setting when I cooked a meatloaf but will check that out next time. I prefer oven-cooking meatballs to pan-frying them and it's great to put a batch of them in there rather than waiting for the whole oven to heat (there are only 2 of us). I don't care to bake but had to see how some cookies would work in there and sliced and diced a roll of refrigerated cookie dough. Good job again. And it's large enough to cook a frozen pizza! We've cooked a couple of quiches in there too--so far I think it really works well!

We've only had it a couple of months but it seems to be well-built and I had no problem cleaning off some cheese and sauce that had dribbled down the side of the unit. The only minor complaint I have is that you need to be careful when pulling out the rack. There isn't a "stopper" on it and the rack WILL slide all the way out, if you aren't careful.