4.0 out of 5 stars My Experience with the roaster
Published on December 3, 2009 by Tiffany N. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Roaster Works Fine, But Not Pretty (cosmetic defects)
I bought this roaster for my other half, who is the turkey expert. Since we only have one oven, I thought it would greatly simplify big meals with turkeys and other things that need to be baked at the same time. Having seen my mother use one this past November, I thought it was a great idea.

It was. Mostly. Let me start with MY error: A really big turkey will...
Published 18 months ago by James L. Greenlee

4.0 out of 5 stars My Experience with the roaster, December 3, 2009
Tiffany N. Davis (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 32229 22-Quart Roaster Oven, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I bought my roaster for Thanksgiving. I usually do a lot of cooking and baking for Thanksgiving and this year I made 6 baked desserts alone. I started looking for something to help me with the lack of oven space for this year and found out about the turkey roaster, I had never heard of one before. I started reading a ton of reviews on several different sites to educate myself prior to buying one. I also asked around and called a few people I knew cooked a lot for thier opinions. I got good overall feedback, so I bought this one. Maybe I shouldn't have tried a new method for the first time on such a big day as Thanksgiving... but this has a happy ending. I had a 23.22lb turkey this year. Typically I will cook a bird that big on 300-325 degrees for about 4.5 to 5.5 hours. All the reviews and the instructions stated to cook anything you are making in the roaster at the exact same temperature and time as you would a regular oven. The only two things I saw were about not opening the lid because of how much more of a loss of heat you have on a roaster vs. a regular oven. Also the complaints about a crisp outside which can be easily solved by placing your bird in the oven for just the last 20 minutes of cooking time.

So I got my turkey in the preheated turkey roaster at just below 325 degrees and decided I would cook it for about five hours. I knew I didn't want to keep checking on it because of the notation about heat loss so I decided on that time from the get go since it always worked for me in the past. I got a little nervous and about 3 hours and 45 minutes into the cooking time, I decided to take a peak. A turkey is done and still tender in the thigh at 175 and more like 165 degrees in the breast, and since the turkey will continue to cook 5-10 degrees after you take it out of the oven, I usually take my bird out at 155-160 degrees when taking the temp from the breast. I freaked out when the thermometer read 215 degrees after only about 3.5 hours. I turned the roaster off and took the inside pan out and set it out in the cold to cool down as fast as possible. I admit, I started to cry at the disaster and couldn't help but think about how much that turkey cost that I worried would be a waste of money. And what would my family eat as far as meat went. But let me tell you something... I have never had a juicer turkey in my entire life. I have NO CLUE how at 215 degrees, but I went to grab the leg and the bone just came out completely clean. I guess because it is more of a steam cooking process that it stayed so juicy, or maybe because I wrapped it in bacon, but it was so good! I read someone said it took an extra hour and half, perhaps you didn't preheat the oven or thought you had it at the right temperature but it wasn't... or maybe you opened the lid too many times or didn't secure the lid to begin with, because I had the exact opposite problem. I guess I would just say to check whatever you are making just one time, half way through the originally cooking time to see how it is doing. Otherwise, I love my turkey roaster!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just purchased, so far I LOVE IT . . ., November 1, 2009
I just bought the HB 22-Quart Roasting Oven and used it for the first time last night.

I have food allergies and intolerances (primarily wheat, gluten) and needed an oven I could dedicate to cooking gluten-free foods.

I roasted a chicken, and it was succulent and flavorful -- really, really, REALLY good. I prefer lean mean, and the white meat was particularly moist and delicious. Since I have never used the oven, I used a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken was cooked perfectly -- very easy.

You can also bake in the roaster oven (cakes, cookies, etc.). I am looking forward to trying it.

What I love about this item is that you never put the food directly on cooking surface. Instead, you use your own cook and bake ware, which makes the oven MUCH easier to clean. The inside cook service is removable, and it also has a rack.

I am so happy that I purchased the 22-quart instead of a smaller unit. This one is large enough to roast a turkey and also easily holds large casserole dishes, etc.

There is an instruction booklet inside that gives instructions on how to order an insert to turn the unit into a three-sectioned buffet server.

There are only a couple recipes included in the instruction booklet, but because you can use the roaster oven to make the same things you'd roast or bake in an oven, separate recipes aren't really necessary (as they would be for a Crock Pot, for example).

Recipes included are:

Party meatballs

Chili

Quick Roast Turkey

Turkey Browning Sauce (this oven will not brown poultry unless you use the sauce, which is easily made with butter or margarine, browning sauce such as Kitchen Bouquet, and paprika).

Baked potatoes (can bake up to 10 pounds)

The Perfect Cheesecake

Baked eggs

As time goes forward, I'll add more to the review as I try other recipes. So far, I am extremely pleased with my purchase and very excited to use it.

Update, July 2010: Baking: I've made gluten-free banana nut bread in the oven to great success! I used the recipe on the back of a bag of Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix. Oh my gosh, this is such an easy and INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS recipe! Not only is it one of the best banana breads I've tasted (rich, buttery), it browned nicely, too. Very moist. Hint: Gluten free mixes stick a little easier. I lined the bottom of the bread pan with parchment paper to make it easier to get it out of the pan.

A friend gave me this tip for using the oven: If you have access to an outdoor area and can do so safely and with supervision, on a hot day, use an extension cord and cook/bake outside to keep things cool in the kitchen. I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to make perfectly browned turkey in 22-Quart Stainless Steel Roaster Oven, November 18, 2013
I just ordered this 22-Quart Stainless Steel Roaster Oven. I have been reading a lot of reviews that say that you CAN NOT brown a turkey in the roaster oven. So I started to research the Internet to see how I can overcome this problem that so many people say that they have encountered.

Well, I found the answer...so I'm sure that you will be happy to use it. (I didn't provide the link, because amazon won't allow it.) So I just copied & pasted the info that I found. Here goes....

Directions:

1. Take the insert pan out of the roaster and pre-heat the roaster to it's highest setting (on mine it's 450, but 500 if your oven goes that high).

2. Prep the turkey by rinsing and patting dry. Sprinkle salt in the cavities. Stuff your turkey if desired. Note on stuffing: Don’t pre-stuff your turkey. Mix and stuff ingredients immediately before roasting. Stuff lightly and loose. Allow ¾ cup stuffing per pound of turkey. (Tossing in a few pieces of cut fruit or herbs is not considered 'stuffing.' Stuffing usually means filling up the cavity.)

3. Place the bird in the roasting pan on top of the wire rack that comes with your roaster. Make sure the handles are up, not tucked below.

4. Rub the entire bird with olive oil or butter. (I have better luck with olive oil.) Doctor up your bird with whatever special seasonings you wish. I always use poultry seasoning.

5. Finish with a good sprinkle of seasoning salt and black pepper. The olive oil and seasoning salt will help the skin brown nicely. I also like to use those little disposable "plug in" turkey thermometers. Put the insert pan with the bird into the roaster oven and cover. I never add water or other liquid to the pan, but some people do.

6. Roast at highest setting for 30 minutes. The oil, seasoning salt and the searing time will make the skin beautifully browned and perfect!

7. After 30 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 325.

8. The bird will self-baste if you do not lift the lid, so you don't have to baste it every 20 minutes like you do in your conventional oven. DO NOT LIFT LID during cooking time! Lifting the lid will increase cooking time because roaster ovens lose their heat unlike regular ovens. I've read that roaster ovens effectively 'steam' the turkey making the meat come out -- well, steamed. This is not true as you will find out. Similar to the roasted chickens you can get at your supermarket, the bird will come out moist and perfectly roasted. Why do you think they call it a Roaster Oven?

9. Check your Bird - Figure your total cooking time from the time you first put the bird in the roaster. FINAL TEMPERATURE FOR SAFETY AND DONENESS IS: 180 DEGREES IN THIGH AND 165 DEGREES IN BREAST AND STUFFING. Juices should be clear, not pink.

10. Your turkey will almost certainly be done at the earliest of the suggested times on the chart. Lift lid only slightly and quickly to check the pop-up thermometer or use your meat thermometer. If necessary, check after another 30 minutes, but I doubt you'll have to do that. If the pop-up thermometer isn't popped, double check with your regular meat thermometer because those little plastic things stick sometimes. I say check after 30 minutes because it's really OK to let the bird roast a little extra - you won't dry it out using my method if you let it go for 1/2 hour.

11. Figure your total cooking time from the time you first put the bird in the roaster. Check your bird at the EARLIEST of these times:

12. Unstuffed

13. 8 to 12 pounds 2¾ to 3 hours.
14. 12 to 14 pounds 3 to 3¾ hours.
15. 14 to 18 pounds 3¾ to 4¼ hours.
16. 18 to 20 pounds 4¼ to 4½ hours.

17. Stuffed.
18. 8 to 12 pounds 3 to 3½ hours.
19. 12 to 14 pounds 3½ to 4 hours.
20. 14 to 18 pounds 4 to 4¼ hours.
21. 18 to 20 pounds 4¼ to 4¾ hours.

22. When done, remove the bird from the roaster, tent with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. This allows the juices to really seep into the meat, so they say.

23. If you try this method, please let us know your results! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars An inexpensive way to get more out of your kitchen, November 6, 2009
Mark G (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
My wife and I have been inhibited from having large groups for dinner, basically due to the oven in our kitchen. It is built into a cabinet and is smaller than most conventional ovens. This leaves us with very little ability to cook a large item, such as a turkey, along with all the other things that need to be in the oven. The Hamilton Beach Roaster has helped solve this problem. We are now able to cook the turkey in the roaster, while using our oven for all other baking. Also, the turkey comes out more moist and jucier than when baked in a conventional oven. At one dinner, we had a problem just prior to serving dinner, and didn't get to take the turkey out at the time we planned (we got it about 1/2 hour late). When we got to it, the turkey meat was falling off of the bone, and was still delicious. I would recommend this to anyone. We recently cooked a 21.5 lb turkey with no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamilton Beach 22 Qt. Roaster Oven, Stainless Steel, October 9, 2010
Gail Jewell (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
We are Farmers and I do a lot of cooking. I got this Roaster Oven so I could cook two in the time of one ,freeze the extra and have an almost ready source of quick dinner. Summer here is long and HOT, so using my kitchen oven is avoided about half the year.I have this roaster oven out on our porch.

This is the biggest non-comercial roaster I could find with cost being a facter also. I have been using the roaster at least once a week since I got it and I am very pleased with it. The only thing I don't like is how thin the cover is so I tent it with heavy duty alluminum foil to help insulate the top. This seams to cut the cooking time down a bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roaster Works Fine, But Not Pretty (cosmetic defects), December 30, 2012

It was. Mostly. Let me start with MY error: A really big turkey will fit in this oven, but if you're going to use a cooking bag, opt for a small turkey, and be very, very careful that the plastic doesn't touch the sides or bottom. My turkey was so big, touching was inevitable, and the bag melted INSTANTLY on contact. And boy howdy does it stay there. I can't scrub it off, I can't burn it off. But it turns out you don't need a bag anyway. I removed the bag from the turkey, and followed the advice I found on a recipe site: crank the roaster up all the way, cook the (olive-oil coated) turkey at full temperature for half and hour, then dial it back down to 325 degrees, and finish cooking. It was brown, tender, juicy and delicious. NOW. . .

Since I've foolishly melted plastic onto the inside of my cooking pan, the roaster is obviously non-returnable. And I would, now that I've given it a good look in the light of day. The stainless steel exterior has a dent above the knob. The cooking insert has chipped enamel that looks like it has been touched up with paint or a marker or something. And the ceramic interior of the roaster has chips and deformities around the outside edge. We didn't notice when we unpacked it by the Christmas tree, but under bright lights it's obvious.

So: the roaster works, and works pretty well. It has a fairly short cord which could be a problem. And it looks like they sometimes let cosmetic defects go out the door, maybe even with an effort made to pass them off with shoddy repair work? You don't suppose the mail order ones are more susceptible to this, since they're harder to return? It's worth pondering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Careful, it gets hot outside!, December 21, 2009
M. Burningham "gramma on the go" (Eagle Mountain, UT United States) - See all my reviews
The roaster oven worked great for our 22 lb Thanksgiving turkey, which was stuffed. However, it took about 60 minutes longer than the directions said it would for a stuffed bird. I used the browning sauce recipe included with the oven and the turkey looked perfect. It was moist and delicious! However, I did not expect the outside to heat up as much as it did and burned my hand when I touched it. I put a Post-It note on the cupboard above the roaster warning others not to touch!!

I have since used the roaster to steam about 12 lb of King Crab legs. I improvised a large enough colander from a disposable turkey roasting pan and set it on a rack I had that fit the roaster perfectly. I added 1 qt of water after preheating the roaster to 450 F, then piled in the crab legs. They were done perfectly in about 15 minutes. What an easy way to get this job done!

The roaster looks great and cleans easily -- once it has cooled.

All in all a great investment that has freed up my oven for other foods I make for our big family parties. I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Roaster Oven!, July 26, 2011
Excellent Roaster Oven! It is so convenient to have an extra "oven"! I researched all available roaster oven's before purchasing this Hamilton Beach. It was the largest available, at the best price. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a roaster oven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roaster Ovens, September 3, 2010
This Hamilton Beach roaster gives you an entire second oven and DOES NOT heat up your kitchen. Turkey's come out beautifully golden and crisp leaving your stove oven to handle other components of your Thanksgiving feast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Roaster, January 31, 2010
The Roaster that I received from the site has worked great. It can easily cook a turkey and it comes out very juicy. It also is very easy to clean. I had great service from the distributor. He made sure that I got it in time for Thanksgiving. I would highly recommend the roaster and the site.

Hamilton Beach 32229 22-Quart Roaster Oven, Stainless Steel