4.0 out of 5 stars This as close as it gets to just right for the price.
I just received my new unit. We are using it for the first time right now. This report is to note details of purchase and first use.
1: It was packaged good enough to survive UPS undamaged: Great job Amazon!
Published on October 8, 2011 by GLIverson

1.0 out of 5 stars FRAUDULENT Advertising?? Nowhere Near 8 Quarts
I bought this Hamilton Beach advertised-as-8-quarts crock pot to replace a so-called 7-quart Rival crock pot, that the control knob had broken off.

Published on June 21, 2011 by James Ingram

4.0 out of 5 stars This as close as it gets to just right for the price., October 8, 2011
GLIverson (Boise, Idaho) - See all my reviews
1: It was packaged good enough to survive UPS undamaged: Great job Amazon!
2: Directions for use (the instructions pages), are few and nearly usless. Since they have to put them into French & Spanish as well as English, I guess they wanted to keep it VERY short.
3: It does not say this in the listing, but it has about a 24 inch cord. This keeps their costs down: if the cord was any longer the cord would probably not be heavy enough for the load?
4: It LOOKs great! I love the features of the well made see through top, the removable cooking dish, and the keep warm setting. Nice too that there are NO electronics to screw up: electronics hate heat and moisture..... which this would provide in spades of course.
5: It does have the wire lid holder on the back, but it does NOT have a seal, a stretch lid latch, nor an indicator lamp on the front to say that it is turned on or not. I guess all of those items (except the indicator lamp) must be bought separately.
6: I saw several listed "8 Qt Pots" where people were very disappointed that they were not 8 Qt at, all but barely made a 7 Qt at best. This unit IS an 8 Qt up to the top lid edge......and if you needed a large one, you will love it's size! Real life use? (NOTES: You never want fill any pot to the very top edge, it will obviously boil over and make a MESS! So,....so make it a solid 7.5 qt? :-)) It is still a BIG pot.

Now that I have this, and assuming that it does cook as well as others have said it would, would I buy it again? Absolutely! Enjoy!

UPDATE on 03 Nov.2012: We have very much enjoyed using this cooker: It works very well. One thing I did not count on was how heavy the removable washable interior cook pot really is. I had no problem with it, but today, my wife just could not hang on and broke it: it gets very slippery when ever it is wet or soapy! A new pot is $25 + shipping= cost new. So, the only way to go is just buy another new one I guess. I looked around carefully, and anything from 5.5 qt up through 8.5 qt show a solid serious weight of 15 to 20#, so the pot is going to be "heavy" in all of them. I am so glad I did not buy a $100+ type priced unit, at this rate of 1 per 13 months..... that could get expensive. (humor)

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely pleased with lg size, October 5, 2011
I have been really pleased with this purchase. My last one was a 6 qt so I after it finally quit I wanted to get the largest I could afford. With 3 hungry sons, and a husband, I needed a bigger size, if there was ever gonna be any left overs for my lunch. It heats up really fast, seems to cook my recipes faster than my old one. The spoon/lid rest that doubles as a cord wrap during storage is handy. The only fault I have found with mine is there is no light indicating that it is on or the setting that its on. So you can't just glance at it to see if you set it on high or low you have to be close enough to see the setting that the dial is pointing to. But other than that it has been great. I use mine at least twice a week and with cooler weather I will be using it even more. I would definitively recommend this crock-pot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Cooking, April 15, 2010
I had a smaller slow cooker and purchased this larger one at Amazon simply because I'm accustomed to cooking for many days and freezing the extra. I'm fairly new at slow cooking. This cooker not only sloved my problem but also turned out to be a very good cooker. Of course, I first looked at it's reviews and Consumer Reports rating. Exceptional slow cooker at an exceptional price.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY HOT EXTERIOR SURFACE, November 6, 2011
Size is awesome, used a couple of times, high setting is great and very hot, however the exterior surface is just about as hot. I'm not talking hot to the touch, I'm talking could burn you if not very careful. Will still use, will just be very cautious of surroundings and any curious little hands that might accidentally come in contact with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and big for cooking mass quantities, May 20, 2011
This unit cooks as well as any crock pot. I suppose they all work pretty well since the older one I had previously borrowed from my neighbor worked fine too.....

This is a Nice and big crock pot so you can cook large meals for freezing....I have been very happy with the purchase, although I kind of wish I had gotten a programmable one.

1.0 out of 5 stars FRAUDULENT Advertising?? Nowhere Near 8 Quarts, June 21, 2011
James Ingram (Williamsport, Pa) - See all my reviews

When I unpacked the Hamilton Beach unit, the pot looked hardly any larger than the 7 quart Rival's pot. So I used a marked container to measure it's capacity with water, and found that it holds only 6 quarts, 30 oz. when filled to the brim (2 ounces less than 7 quarts).

Incidentally, I measured my broken Rival's 7-quart pot, and it holds only 6 quarts, 14 oz, which is 18 oz short of 7 quarts.

2. SAME FLIMSY BASE AS THE RIVAL POT ~~~~~~

The Rival crock pot I had worked fine, until the control knob broke off. They used a thin plastic rod, which apparently from the effects of time and heat, just snapped off after a couple of years.

Even though this new Hamilton Beach unit is from a different manufacturer, unfortunately it appears to have the same type of base as the Rival. It appears they both get their bases from the same source, which apparently makes them as cheap and flimsy as possible.

3. WHY I AM KEEPING THIS UNIT ~~~~~~

Despite all my griping:
a) It'll do the job until it breaks, b) It's too much hassle to pack up it all up and send it back, and (c) I don't think any of the other 8 quart models are built any better. The 8-1/2 quart "Maxi'-Matic" crock pot got even worse reviews.

I was hoping this Hamilton Beach's base would be sturdier than the Rival's, but I think it's just as flimsy. It appears all the large crock pots are built flimsily, to last just a short time, so they can sell you another flimsy one ??

So in my humble opinion, HONEST advertising for this crock pot, might read as follows: "Buy our 8 quart crock pot, which really holds less than 7 quarts. It may last you up to several years, until our tiny, flimsy, cheap-ass plastic control shaft breaks off, then we'll sell you another new crock pot".

I would appreciate hearing anyone else's opinion, who can DISPUTE or CONFIRM my opinions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Undersized, August 23, 2011
I purchased this "8" quart item to replace my broken "7" quart unit. This new unit doesn't hold as much as the "7" quart did. I am disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresentation, March 10, 2012
When I unpacked this 8 quart slow cooker I noticed it looked a little small. Sure enough, after measuring some water into the pot, it came out to 6 quarts. The box clearly indicates that it is 8 quarts. NOT! I didn't bother plugging it in to see if it works. I just sent it back.

Thanks, AMAZON for the painless return process.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Cooker That Boils on Keep Warm!, October 20, 2011
OCD Foodie (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this just a few days ago and made a beef curry in it. Unfortunately, the temperature is too high and the keep warm temperature boiled the stew. If this wasn't bad enough, the 8 quart capacity is definitely an overstatement as others mention here - it's more like 7 - 7.5 quarts. I would advise to not buy this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, August 22, 2011
The slow cooker works very well and heats up quickly. The lid is a little suspicious, and seems like it was designed for the 6 quart slow cooker not the 8 quart. But it does cover the pot, and it works just fine.

Hamilton Beach 33182A Slow Cooker, 8-Quart