Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

Style Name: Standard PackagingChange

on April 6, 2010
I received this product as a Christmas gift in 2009. My husband bought it in November of that year. I have used this several times since opening it, and I noticed that the temperature setting was different than what I thought I had set it to. I thought I was confused about what I had set it to. It was new and maybe I didn't do something right. Well, after using it about 6 times, it now shuts off completely for no reason and the temperature setting changes constantly. I also didn't like how hot the outside of the crockpot gets. I have a rival crock pot and it got warm to the touch but never burn yourself hot. This just can't be trusted. Do not buy this product!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
Great slow cooker, I have the 33967 cooker with probe, this is November, 2013. I thought I would throw that in since AMAZON has all the 5 year old reviews first. NOW that said in five years some things that were complaints are now "can't live without" comments.
My cooker HAS NEVER shut itself off at any time other than when I programed it to do so.
My experience has been that if you read the directions book, you should do alright. Check their website for great recipes too.
The lid smell........never had that problem, the shutoff problem.....never had that either. I don't work for Hamilton Beach either, so this review is for the cooker and how it works.
As stated in the manual , add only half the water called for....that is the most important part. and fill the pot up to the top minus 2" with food, not water, many people think that means fill it up with water...WRONG. what happens is that the pot is sealed and water does not escape, so the liquids in the food actually stay in the pot, so you cook in the juices and a little water. I've had the cooker for about 1 year now (it was a 2012 model) and it is still reliable as day one.
Suggestion for AMAZON........list the reviews with the most recent FIRST, and the correct model with all it's bells and whistles will be current.....not 5 year old reviews of models no longer sold or listed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 17, 2009
I really like using a slow cooker that has, besides the usual settings timer settings, the ability to say "switch to warm when it reaches a certain temperature". So far I think this is the best slow cooker out there, because of that. However, it could do even more if the designers allowed more options, and I'll be keeping my eye out for other alternatives. But the ability to cook to just the right temp is really wonderful, though not perfect.

One issue when cooking things is "overrun", the fact that the inside of a roast will continue heating (from the outside) after heating stops. In the case of a roast of a few pounds inside the stoneware crock, it can go up as high as 15 degrees more. So if you want well-done chicken at 175, you have to tell it to stop at 160. For more fluid foods (like soup), convection mixes it up better and overrun is not as extreme.

But there are a few other issues which make this temperature control imperfect. First of all, on mine, WARM stabilizes at 155 degrees. I had been hoping to use it for slow cooking tough roasts that I wanted to keep at 140 for many hours to make them tender but still rare (after sizzling the outside for flavor and food safety). So even if I say "stop cooking at 140", once 140 is reached, it switches to what is essentially "keep at 155".

Also, the range of target temps you can specify is less flexible than I wanted, from 140 to 180, in 5 degree increments. Because of overrun, if I want a rare roast, it would be nice if I could set the stopping temp to be even lower. Instead, I manually monitor the temp and intervene when a lower temp is reached.

And it really needs some slower cooking settings. When I tested with hot water, on mine LOW stabilized at 197 and HIGH stabilized at 207.

Finally, they really missed the chance to make a home "Sous Vide" cooker at a very reasonable price. If they 1) used the temp probe to control turning the heat on and off and 2) permitted settings lower than 140 and 3) provided a rack to lift food off the bottom, that would come really close. (Some of the electronic skillets might work for this, but they are too shallow.)

p.s. This rack fits pretty well into the oval crock: Granite Ware 2007-8 Small Flat Oval Rack with Handles. It is just about the right length, but could be a little wider. It elevates the food about 3/8 inch, and has handles to help lift stuff out - great for slow heating a spiral-cut ham, for instance. There are probably others that would do the job as well.
on December 25, 2008
I was tired of trying to transport food to my holiday office party and have half of it spill in my car on the way there so as soon as I saw this slow cooker I had to have it. The sealing gasket works great, no spills even with soups or stews on my 40 minute commute! I especially like the probe feature, it is unique among slow cookers I have seen in the stores. Highly recommend the product!
on January 13, 2010
I purchased this slow cooker elsewhere, at a really great deal (mispriced by the retailer) of $26.00. You know what they say about too good to be true right? I had the slow cooker for almost 18 months, a few times the cooker appeared to have shut itself off. I couldn't be sure that the power hadn't just flickered- causing it to turn off, and always caught it before the food had an opportunity to get cold or spoil. Like other reviewers here, I thought that it was just a fluke, and continued to use it other times with much success. This morning I put a roast on to cook. I came home for lunch and the program had 2 1/2 hrs left to cook, after which it would automatically switch to the warm feature for up to 4hrs. Imagine my surprise when I got home 4 1/2 hrs later and it was just completely shut off. I have messed with this slow cooker for the last time. I can't risk poisoning my family with under-cooked food and groceries are too expensive to just waste this way. Hamilton Beach- you are a good company with a reputable history. I would suggest looking into the malfunction in this product before you lose the following that you have worked so hard to build up. While I won't boycott the company altogether, I will be purchasing a Rival Crock-Pot to replace this one.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2009
While I love using this slow cooker because the features are nice, I don't dare trust it to stay on all day. I've had this model since Christmas 2008 and it has just shut down and stopped cooking on more than 8 occasions. At first I thought we'd had a power outage, but I checked other appliances in the house and with power outages. I'm not sure what causes it to shut down, but I'm done playing games and losing money on food that I can't serve because it's been sitting on the counter all day, not cooking.

Bottom line...Save your money and go with a more reliable model.
on December 23, 2009
This slow cooker is great when it works. The problem I have with it is that occasionally it will randomly shut down. It's definitely not an outlet problem as I have it plugged in the same power bar as my computer and my computer is always on. One of the reasons I got this slow cooker was so I can load it up with food, set the timer, and leave home. It's really a let down when you come back home and find the food half cooked and the machine completely turned off. Thankfully this does not happen all of the time.
on February 4, 2009
I've had this slow cooker since early December and absolutely love it. We use it about once a week and haven't had any problems with anything turning out less than perfect.

The thing that confuses me is the current price for this model. When we purchased it in December it was merely $49.99 (bought on Amazon) so doesn't make sense that the price has shot up so much! This same model can be purchased on Bed, Bath & Beyond's website for $49.99 so I would not suggest paying $199 for it.
on March 28, 2009
I have only had this slow cooker for four months and I am already very disappointed! Twice I have prepared meals in the slow cooker only to come home from work to find them cold because the slow cooker had switched off instead of staying on to keep the food warm. These annoyances were nothing compared to the disappointment and anger I felt when I prepared my husband's birthday breakfast in the slow cooker only to wake up and find a soupy mess of eggs. I had set the slow cooker as I always have, but it had not done it's job and had shut down at some point along the way. Not only were we left without breakfast, what we had instead was a big mess and a lot of wasted food. Now I am too nervous to make anything else in my slow cooker for fear that this will happen again-- which has once again caused already-bought groceries to be wasted.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2008
We took the suggestion from one of the consumer magazines and purchased the "Set'n Forget Slow Cooker. We have used it several times and find it to be as advertised. It work and is easy to clean. What more could you ask?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse