1,018 Reviews

Published on March 1, 2011 by rap

1.0 out of 5 stars It Leaks
Published 15 months ago by Irene

5.0 out of 5 stars You had me worried, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 48464 Brewstation Summit 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
Like many of those who wrote reviews, I also owned previous models of the H.B. Brew Station. They were hard to fill without spilling some water. They wore out after two/three years of constant use with very little upkeep by me. They earned their keep. I bought a H.B. Summit 12 cup last week; and before setting it up, I went to this site to check some reviews for suggestions and help on what I might encounter with the new brewer. (This approach is backwards, I know) Had I read the reviews beforehand, I would never have purchased the product. Comments like very messy, cannot see how much coffee is being dispensed, coffee drips all over, can only use a paper cup, coffee is not hot hard to program............... good grief!!!

Here's what this 71 year old man experienced in his first week with the "POT" I used the old gold mesh filter I used on prior brewer. Makes the same very good cup of coffes as others before it. I plugged it in, yes, a short plug. filled it to 12 cups, found it much easier to fill than prior machine; Set warming time, pushed "ON" It brewed quickly, I pushed my large thick ceramic cup against the fill bar and watched it fill quickly with hot coffee! no spills, no chills. There was no dripping from the spout. Yes, there was some water vapor coming from the top of te brewer, I and my wife are having NO problems with the machine, Really, people!! This, by the way, is my first ever review of a product. I felt it necessary to respond to the bum rap this product was getting. No, I don't work for, or own stock in H.B Co.

5.0 out of 5 stars What mess?, January 5, 2011
I'm a mother of three kids, ages 6 and under, so needless to say, coffee has become pretty important around our house! My brother-in-law has an older model of the brewstation, and I have always loved using it at their house. I love that it has no carafe to clean or break, and the unit itself only needs to be cleaned once a month.

My coffee is always piping hot, and stays hot for up to 4 hours after brewing. The program feature works great every time. And I'm really not sure why so many people are having problems getting the coffee from the spout into their cups. I have never had even a drip of coffee spill while filling my mug. I tend to be a slow coffee drinker, and use a travel mug most of the time. Even with a thick walled mug I have not experienced any problems.

I have had some condensation water spill when I lift the lid, but I had that with my old coffee pot, too. And being in the kitchen, I grab a towel or a sponge and just wipe it up. Not a problem, in my opinion.

I am having trouble understanding why the brewstation is getting such poor reviews. I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could. I really love it that much!

4.0 out of 5 stars Feedback after owning MANY Brewstations including this one now, May 13, 2010
Amazon Customer (San Carlos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The electrical cord is 25 inches long to the very tip of the metal prongs. Otherwise 24.5 inches cord length including the plug part you hang onto. Leaving you 24 inches for the cord itself. Our previous Brewstations all had this same length of electrical cord. This model does not have a turntable on the bottom. The only time we needed turntables were on older Brewstations that had to have the water poured into the base from a certain side to avoid spilling or to aid in viewing the fill level markings. This model has ALL the previous fill markings and some new ones. Very handy for older eyes. The MAXIMUM coffee mug height is 7 inches if you hold the mug vertically. (If you hold your mug at a angle and use your finger to dispense against the mechansim you can fill anything.) 7 inches is plenty tall for all the standard travel/commute mugs holding 16 oz. The lid does dribble all over the place when you take the Brewstation apart for cleaning or making another pot. Just remember to lift the lid slowly and tap it with vibration as you open it. You will leave condensation water from the lid running down the back of the Brewstation about the volume of a 50 cent piece. The lid cannot be removed. You can wipe up the spilled water by simply running a sponge, papertowel, etc around the back. Remember, this is water and not coffee. If you position a papertowel at the hinge you prevent problems. The Brewstation does dispense/dribble down the back of your coffee mug once in awhile. The first time you notice this and before your next pot of coffee you clean the pot out and then fill with a few inches of clean water, lift the pot so you can see under it where the coffee dispenses and manually trigger the release mechanism to allow it to flush coffee grinds out. End of dribbling. There is a domed filter screen permanently attached at the point where the coffee leaves during dispensing. This lets small particles of coffee get by apparently get into the valve seat. Brewstations make GREAT coffee. House guests almost always end up buying their own. ALWAYS buy the latest model Brewstation with the highest numberic model number as you get the latest features that way and improvements and fixes. LOVE the Brewstation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad reviews are just bad reviews, this is a GOOD one, February 29, 2012
Kay L. Stewart (Melbourne , Florida) - See all my reviews
Many people have written bad reviews on this Brew Station and I would like to respond to some of their Complaints.

Short Cord: To receive a UL listing for a kitchen appliance, you must have a short cord to prevent the appliance from getting knocked over into a sink full of water without unplugging. All good kitchen appliances have short cords!

Hard to fill your cup: Our unit has rubber non-skid feet and does not slide when you fill any type of mug, small, large, tall, short, thick and/or thin. The release bar is firmer than prior units but not all that stiff.

Leaks and/or doesn't stop driping: The manual states "clean it" this has been true on all of our brew stations, if you do not clean it or get grounds in it, it will drip.

Weak coffee due to large holes in basket: We use the standard Mr. Coffee paper filters as we do not like the problem of washing a permanent filter. No problem and our coffee turns out well without the bold setting and we like strong coffee. Then again, we use good premium full roast coffee (Ravens Brew Brands)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Coffee Maker. Ever! No Drips!, August 9, 2012
Like another reviewer, I bought this product w/o checking the reviews.

Thank goodness this coffee maker was an impulse-buy!

I've filled every size cup, thermal container, Conoco thermos, and rimmed vessel I own. And nothing, NOTHING interferes with the proper function. I hit the button, the stream falls into the assigned location w/o spilling, dripping or otherwise making a mess. After multiple uses, I have yet to spill a drop.

Did you catch that? No drips. No mess. No kidding.

The container itself is simple to fill with water. The basket fits into it and creates the perfect stack.

did I forget something? Or yeah.

It makes a darn good cup of coffee.

UpDate: Two weeks after using this coffee maker, it dripped one single drop. OMGoodness! Call quality control :)

People, maybe there was a problem with a 'coffee shower' at one time but they fixed it. Read the Consumers Reports. Brewstation rates the highest in their tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars SERIOUSLY. Not bad at all for the price!!!, July 7, 2012
Ok, so I did some research before buying this at my local target. Wow. There are so many negative reviews, that I almost didn't buy it. I wanted something that can do Ice Coffee, hot Coffee. So I ignored the negative reviews, and went with this one. I'm totally shocked at how people can be so damn picky. First off. This does everything I need it to. Some of the complaints were the spout to close to the back of the maker, so it drips? How thick of mugs are you using people? I have never had any problems with the design. I have ZERO drips in the drip catcher.
I love how easy it is. It's super convenient to use. I love that the "bucket" comes out to fill it with ice. That's awesome. I love how easily it is to fill a cup up without the pot. Of course when it's low (under 2 cups) it's going to pour out slow. It's gravity that is making this pour. So when it's low. It's less pressure/gravity people.
I hate people that want the quality of a 200 coffee maker, for 50 bucks. Imagine why our economy is so bad, you cheap butts!
I love this coffee maker. I think the price is awesome. But I wasn't expecting much after all these reviews. But I have to say. This is an awesome coffee maker. I've had it over a month and there hasn't been one thing I hate about it.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, we like it!, August 31, 2009
Purchased to replace our Brewstation Deluxe, which we absolutely loved! The only reason we did not purchase another one exactly like our old one is because of the leaking problem. About 1x/year we would need to replace the 'carafe' portion of the coffeemaker. The Summit was the 3rd replacement model we tried. It is the only other model that has all of the features that the Deluxe had (programmable auto shut-off & timer, brewing cycle selection). I agree with the previous post that it is a bit more awkward to fill. But, the biggest problem I have with it is the coffee basket. It has about 50 holes in the bottom for the water/coffee to flow out of the basket. The result is a very weak-tasting coffee because it flows through so quickly. I can't understand why this model is made like this when other models have only one hole! There is no way to even use enough coffee to get a strong flavor, even when putting it on 'Bold' setting, which slows down the brewing cycle. I figured out how to solve this problem by purchasing a permanent filter basket to use inside the other basket, plus using a paper filter. This adds to the awkwardness of the whole process, but we are so hooked on this style of machine that are willing to put up with it. It is also messier than the Deluxe because of all of the condensation inside. When you lift the lid water runs down (but mostly back into the carafe), and when you take out the basket there is condensation all over it and it drips trying to get it to the trash or sink. I also just noticed one of the buttons to set the time is sticking. Well, maybe I should go back to the Deluxe...

1.0 out of 5 stars It Leaks, September 16, 2013
This is the 2nd Brewstation I have owned. The first one I loved and had it for over 2 years before I had an issue with it leaking water and then not having it fill properly. Purchased another one on July 25th of this year and it is already starting to do the exact same thing. Only 2 months of use this time. I called customer service for Hamilton Beach and they said they would replace for a $14.95 shipping fee!! When I said that was not acceptable they told me I could try and return it where I purchased it. I am not paying $14.95 and no guarantee that will not happen right away again. Also this machine was much louder than our previous one, they are not of the same quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this coffee maker!!, August 28, 2011
I was very worried about buying this coffee maker because of the bad reviews. Now that I have used this coffee maker every day for the past month, I would have to say that it is the best coffee maker I have owned. I have made regular and iced coffee in this and both are fantastic. This coffee maker does not leak. I have not spilled coffee once. I don't understand the reviews about that. Filling it with water was a little tricky at first and I did drip a little water while pouring it in, but I found the right spot to pour and haven't had any problems since. Setting the timer was hard to figure out at first because the instructions aren't the greatest. After you set the time, you have to let go of the button, then press start time. The timer will beep once to let you know it is set. When the coffee is ready in the morning, it will beep once. It's not too loud, but loud enough to hear it. When you lift the lid, it does drip a lot. My Mr. Coffee maker did that. Lift it slowly and no problems. The basket drips a little bit. Lifting it and waiting 2 seconds prevents it from dripping on the floor on the way to the trash can. Overall, I give this coffee maker 5 stars because the ease of use and the convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Thankful Every Day, January 24, 2011
I have been looking for a coffee maker for a long time to replace my little four-cup that I never took care of. I knew I didn't want to deal with cleaning or having to look at a dirty carafe. I was interested in the Keurig system, but I couldn't get past the amount of waste involved. I saw the option to refill your own containers, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I wanted something easy and functional.

I took a chance with this one because I had a gift card. I had read that the two main problems were leakage, and the fact that it just stopped working for one lady after a few months. I figured, it was free money I had to spend, so I'd take the risk of it failing. I read all the directions carefully, and made sure to follow them all to ensure that if it failed, it wouldn't be my carelessness.

It's been going strong for four months now, no problems, used almost every day. I love how easy it is to fill, now that I have the hang of it. And other than spot cleaning and occasional system cleaning, it's so easy. It's pretty, too, and it feels like I have a personal coffee kiosk in my kitchen with the way it's dispensed. We have seen the leakage, but I'm pretty sure that's from splashing when you fill the chamber initially, and it goes away, and I can avoid it if I don't splash. Love the programmability, too, and the BOLD option, which mine is permanently set to.

I've never had problems dispensing the coffee either... Yes, you have to actually put your cup under directly and watch it dispense, but I've never had leakage in that sense... Not sure what that issue is about.