1,516 Reviews
 (1,042)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, great coffeemaker!
Published on October 27, 2011 by Oscarmom

1.0 out of 5 stars After two failed models, I am giving up
Published on July 8, 2012 by Ashley Larsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, great coffeemaker!, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 49980Z Two Way Brewer Single Serve and 12-cup Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
Have had this coffeemaker for a few weeks and am extremely pleased. Very simple to operate, makes super hot coffee and love the idea of making a pot or just a mug/travel mug. The single serve side utilizes Senseo pods which are quite good and easy to find in my grocery store. You can also use non-pod coffee so options are limitless. It took me a lot of time to find the perfect coffeemaker for my household - some of the reviews are scary (flooded kitchens). I absolutely love this coffeemaker - and since I can also make just a cup of very hot tea, this has everything I could need.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I am in LOVE.. finally some one LISTENED to what we wanted !!, March 22, 2012
just retired a $300 High price FANCY Coffee maker ...with all the bells and whistles on it., to the garage...... It made the WORSE cup of coffee I have had in years... Instant tastes better...
So I wasn't expecting to fall IN LOVE .................. Well Hamilton Beach ... I LOVE YOU and YOUR DESIGNERS. You listened to the people and what they hate and what they Love.. And married them .. To make this lovely item to grace my Kitchen
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.............................................................................

I have been on a quest to find a Coffee maker that meets my requirements.SIMPLE AS THEY ARE :
#1 makes a HOT CUP OF COFFEE that TASTES GREAT
#2 Carafe pours without dripping and doesn't have to be tipped upside down to get the coffee out
#3 Easy to set up without needed a Learners Manual to run it
#4 Clean up is easy
*********On the wish list but NEVER expecting to find it ,was the single cup function that I looked with envy at my friends fancy dancy high priced K model..Brewers( just couldn't' swallow the $50/ lb price tag for their coffee.)

Well low and behold along comes this gem.by Hamilton Beach.. And to make it even SWEETER .. It makes LOOSE LEAF TEA in the single serving side !!
Can you see me giving a HIGH FIVE. And Dancing around my Kitchen.?? Yes it made me that HAPPY.

Ok so here is the scoop.. BUY IT... You won't be sorry............................. You can look at the pix's and read the description but just look at all the 5 STARS REVIEWS.. We can't all be crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the late night coffee drinker ordered!, December 20, 2011
M. Anderson (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm only an owner of the product for 1 day, however I have brewed 6 single serves and 1 pot and so far, it works as described.

What I really loved about this machine was/is the concept. However, when I was deciding to purchase, I thought that it required the Senseo pads for the Single cup brew as there was very little info in the product features.

After receiving it, I was pleasantly surprised that the single cup brewing contained a little permanent filter that can be used with standard coffee grinds, awesome don't need to pay for the Senseo if I don't want to. It also came with a pack of 18 senseo pads as well.

Last night was perfect test of the single cup concept. I had already programmed and prepped my 7AM standard coffee brew, however I still wanted a cup of coffee (this happens often). So I switched over to the single cup and brewed my cup, then switched back and pressed the program button to ensure it would still brew the main pot at 7am. Worked like a charm!! Before I would have had to brew the entire 6 cups that were ready, toss out most of it and setup my morning brew all over again.

So far, very happy with the product. I will adjust review / rating as required, but so far 5 stars.

Update : 12/29/2012 - 1 Year later

It has been a year and the machine is holding up well. No leaks, no cracks, not even surface wear. If I were to notice one thing from day 1 to day 370 is the single cup brewer puts out about 4 drips after it shuts off where as it didn't do that 6 months ago. Again, that is the ONLY thing I notice after a year of use.

We brew about 1 pot in the main craft in the morning, and at least 3 cups on the side using the permanent filter every day. If it were to break today for any reason I would say it was worth the price and would purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine!, November 15, 2011
UPDATE May 2014: This machine is still going strong, and the coffee still tastes great.

I bought this coffee maker a few days ago to replace a dated Hamilton Beach 12 cup machine. It solved having to purchase both a new 12 cup maker and a single cup brewer such as a Keurig. The single cup brewer uses the Senseo Pods which although don't have as many varieties available as K-Cups it does produce better tasting coffee.

The single cup side is perfect for making 1 or 2 cups when you don't need to brew a full pot. The carafe is on a hot plate and will stay warm for a couple of hours before it automatically switches off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Both Worlds - Single Cup or a Pot, December 26, 2011
My 20 year old GE under cabinet coffee maker gave up the spirit and my wife has been wanting to try a Keurig. Not me, I grind my frozen beans and immediately brew a pot. Besides, that K-cup stuff gets pricey compared to buying whole beans. So, this rig seemed to strike a good balance.

After owning it for a month, I remain quite pleased with this model. My wife gets to have her Senseo flavors while I enjoy the traditional method. While I won't critique the Senseo flavors, they are far "greener" than the plastic K-cups. (I have I mentioned how much I hate plastic water bottles strewn everywhere?) The Senseo pods easily disappear with a flick of the in-sink waste disposal.

The travel mug is OK, I suppose, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice for travel since it uses an O-ring lid compression seal instead of a screw on lid. The Senseo side of the coffemaker also allows for ground coffee or drop some instant coffee (yuk), cocoa or tea bag.

There is a water sight indicator on the carafe side just in case you need to remember if water was previously added.

The only possible negative is the clock/timer setting in that it is easy to accidentally change the hours or minutes while handling the unit. The clock has no lock feature. No biggie, really.

If anyone seeks a dual purpose coffeemaker, this Hamilton-Beach product is just the ticket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted and fits my tall 7.5 inch travel mug!, October 9, 2013
After trying a Keurig and hating it, I still really wanted a single brewer but also needed a pot for weekends when my husband has coffee too or we have company. I was tired of wasting coffee if I ended up not wanting a second or third cup. Found this one from HB and decided to give it a try. After about a month, I LOVE IT! Helpful things for you to know:

1) It's not much wider than my old Gevalia coffee maker.
2)You can raise the single side to brew just a mug of coffee (or tea). And what I never saw in the description or the reviews is that you can actually remove the insert on the single side so that if you have a tall travel mug you like, it'll fit. I have a 7.5 inch tall Bodum mug that I love and really wanted to be able to brew into, and it fits just fine when I remove that insert.
3) You will definitely want your own travel mug, as the one it comes with is no good. The top doesn't screw on (just sets into the mug) and doesn't close. It's made for brewing the coffee, and that's it. I don't even use it. You're fine to just brew into your own open mug/travel cup.
4) The filter on the single side is mesh, and I have never once had grounds in my coffee. I fill it about halfway full with my own ground coffee, and this brews a nice 15 ounces for my Bodum travel mug. (And FYI, that's about the max you can brew on the single side...about 15 oz of water hits the max-fill indicator.) Then I just pull out the filter, tap it into the trash and rinse it clean. There is an insert, too, for using coffee pods like Senseo, but I just use my own Starbucks coffee. You can buy single sized cone filters that will fit into the single side if you want, but it's totally unnecessary. The filter on this thing works great. I tried it both ways and saw no difference.
5) The carafe side is nice. Uses a basket style filter. It does pour nicely, which is great because my old pot dribbled down the front while pouring. Not this one.
6) The machine did have a plastic smell when it came out of the box. Per instructions, I ran a cycle of vinegar through both sides and then brewed 3-4 cycles of plain water. No smell after that, and none since.
7) I like the option of Regular vs Bold brew.
8) You cannot brew both a pot and a single cup at the same time, just to be clear. There's a separate water reservoir and coffee basket for each side, and there's a switch on the front where you choose either single or carafe.
9) I have also put a tea bag into the single side coffee basket and brewed myself a cup of tea.
10) The clock is backlit while the machine is in use or while you're setting the clock or programming for morning. Some people complained about the clock being too dark. I don't understand this issue. I have about six clocks in my kitchen, so I'm not crazy-dependent on my coffee maker clock! And when you need to program anything, it lights up. A non-issue!
11) You can program either the single or carafe side, which is awesome!! Just program the machine for morning and either prep the single side or the carafe side, and be sure the switch is set to brew the correct side.
12) Single side brewer turns off after your cup is brewed (no warming plate on single side). Carafe side shuts off automatically after 2 hours.
13) Most importantly, the coffee comes out great. Hot and tasting just like it should. I drink it black. :-)

All in all, it's exactly what we needed! Brews a great cup or carafe of coffee, and I'm not wasting any more of my expensive coffee!

1.0 out of 5 stars After two failed models, I am giving up, July 8, 2012
I really wanted to like this coffee maker. We bought it based on the rave reviews, and the fact that we love our Hamilton Beach Toastation, which we've had for many years. It started out really promising: it's very sleek looking and compact, and the programmable coffee making feature was wonderful. A few early minor complaints: the filter basket holder has ridges that make it hard to clean, and the lid to the carafe is permanently attached, so you can't easily wash it in the dishwasher. Also the clock (which I liked) has no battery life, so you have to reset it anytime the coffee maker is unplugged. But really, like I said, these were minor complaints. The major problem was that two months after we bought it, it suddenly just died. No clock, no power, no nothing. I called Hamilton Beach, and they said to cut the electrical cord off and mail it in, which I did, and a replacement arrived a week later. I was happy with their customer service, and hopeful that we had just had a dud unit. Alas, today (about six weeks after the replacement arrived) it stopped working too. This time the water valve seems to be broken, so no water is getting from the reservoir into the coffee grounds. Disappointing...

4.0 out of 5 stars It's kewl guy, May 18, 2012
KA "KA" (Morrison, CO) - See all my reviews
I give 4 out of 5 because this coffeemaker does not come with a large permanent filter. They do send over about 5 bleached filters, but who wants to drink bleach...from China? Eck. I found a filter on Amazon that works, "Hamilton Beach 80675 Permanent Gold Tone Filter, 8 to 12-Cups". It's not a complete snug fit, but it does the job. The coffee is delicious, especially with the gold filter. It's the oils that give coffee its essence yum. Paper filters do not allow the oils to pass through. HBeach does supply the cup side with a permanent gold filter, which is a nice option if you do not need to brew a whole pot. It does seem a bit silly to have a separate side to essentially do the same thing, but why not. Please note you can only use one side at a time; it's either the cup or the carafe.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is pretty cool!, December 8, 2011
R. Phillips (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I'm liking this a lot! You can brew into a small mug, a travel mug, a 12-cup caraffe (with hot plate), you can program the timer and it works for either side. I can make use of my stash of Senseo pods when I'm in a hurry. Really nice to have a choice between using the pods or ground coffee (more economical or more fancy) in the mug side!

All the functions work well and both sides brew great coffee. For a single Senseo pod, I like using the top holder instead of the bottom as indicated in the manual. I think the pod forms a better seal in the top holder and the coffee comes out a bit richer.

The brew basket in the caraffe side seems to be standard sized and a permanent filter I had lying around fits perfectly. The machine comes with a permanent filter for the mug side. The only negative I can think of about this unit is the place you pour the water in for the mug side is pretty small and some coffee mugs don't pour well. Although, most travel mugs and the included one seem to pour just fine and the small opening is not a problem with these. I've been using a measuring cup to pour water in for my regular coffee mugs.

All in all... I love the versatility of this thing and I'm very happy with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars This coffee lover is very satisfied, March 6, 2012
I was used to my Keurig and a Cuisinart Brewstation, both of which make excellent coffee. As the cost of k-cups climbed, I moved my Keurig upstairs for leisurely weekends and the odd specialty cup. (I didn't like the MyK-cup filter system - very messy and unpredictable.) We enjoyed the Cuisinart for 5 years. My husband and I drink a full pot in the morning, and I like to have another cup or two throughout the day, and sometimes a cup of decaf in the evening. So I still liked the idea of the single serve method, just not the k-cup price.

When the Cuisinart bit the dust, it was time to go with a more economical way of getting my daily 4-5 cups than the k-cup. I resisted going back to the carafe because they are so messy and breakage is always a concern. But a replacement Brewstation was quite pricey, so I looked at carafes again. After reading reviews for this unit, I thought it may be the best of both worlds.

Many reviews mentioned that the carafe poured with no spillage, and I have happily found that to be the case. No drips, not even when pouring a full carafe of water into the chamber. This is a very favorable design factor for me, as our coffee station is on a nice piece of furniture, rather than a moisture-resistant counter. In 1.5 months I've had nothing but delicious coffee from the carafe side. The programming is simple and there is a setting for "bold." My only wish for the features would be an option for shut-off beyond the standard 2 hours. But this is not a problem, just an observation. The unit brews a full pot in right at 10 minutes.

The single-serve side allows for the use of Senseo pods or your own ground coffee. I had to play around with the amount to get my single cup how I like it, so there was some trial and error, but overall I'm pleased with the single-serve side. The coffeemaker came with a sample bag of the Senseo product, which makes a serviceable cup of coffee, but nowhere near the quality of the Keurig pressurized brewing and the k-cup varieties. But since I want to be more economical in enjoying my coffee, I decided to splurge on the coffee beans and grounds, use bottled water since my tap water is very hard, and this coffeemaker produces an extremely good single cup or pot of coffee. My cost per cup is around $0.07, as compared to about $0.50 just for the k-cup.

I got the coffeemaker, listed for $80, for about $46 with tax, on sale and with a 30% off coupon, about what I would have paid for a programmable 12 cup Mr. Coffee. I'm very happy with this purchase.

Rate and Discover Movies