3,168 Reviews
 (1,766)

1,327 of 1,363 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this personal brewer!
I've been a long time user of personal brewers - two pod/cup type machines one well known, one lesser known. My problem with them both is that using your own coffee (I have my non pod favorite!) produces a mess and/or very weak coffee. They simply don't hold the right coffee/water ratio to produce what I would consider an excellent cup of coffee.

I recently...
Published on October 27, 2011 by NWMom

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this thing, but..
What good is it if it cannot brew a decent cup of coffee?

When my employer took away free coffee service (boo!) and replaced it with a pay by the cup k-cup service (double-boo!), I decided to explore my options. I wanted something that I could use to quickly brew a travel mug full of coffee before and then head into work. This maker seems to have it all. It...
Published on October 4, 2011 by David S.

1,327 of 1,363 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this personal brewer!, October 27, 2011
NWMom (Coeur d'Alene, ID USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 49981 Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)

I recently spied this machine and immediately liked that it was non proprietary, read the former reviews, looked at the price tag and was skeptical - how good could it be for under $60 when its rival starts at $100? I finally brought one home and I'm sold! Using the "bold" setting it made even a decaf coffee nice and strong and it reminded me of the results that I get with my French Press - full bodied, rich & flavorful.

I like that the basket for the coffee is nice and deep and easy to fill. The water resevoir is easily filled. It holds an ample 14 oz. of water - you get out what you put in so playing with the measurement and grind of your favorite coffee takes some perfecting. The brewer starts immediately, the light goes out signaling it is finished brewing. It is a tad faster than the mini version of the more popular single cupper. The coffee comes out hot. I haven't seen any issues with leaking, spraying, etc. Hamilton Beach was also thinking when the made the drip tray so that it flips over and fills the space to a smaller cup size.

I'd add some cons but really there isn't anything that I dislike about this machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super quiet, great coffee, awesome value, ridiculously easy to clean, November 19, 2011
j-yo (Mill Creek, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this yesterday, so I can't vouch for its longevity, but we have made several quick cups of coffee and tea using this and it works great.

Let me say that I am a caffeine addict. I prefer my coffee bold, am picky about my freshly roasted beans and prefer the taste of french press-made coffee. However, I am also not a morning person, and having to make a large cup of coffe in the morning while trying to get busy kids and a busy mom ready for school/work is quite a chore. Also, being the only coffee drinker in the house (my husband and oldest son like tea), my only option after drinking the first cup was to dump out the rest or refridgerate it and microwave it later - neither were options I was thrilled about.

I didn't want to pay the price of one of the larger Keurigs; nor did I have the counter space for that. We have a large Keurig at my office and, while I certainly appreciate being able to brew a fresh cup of coffee whenever I want, it's a noisy machine, it has to be constantly plugged in to maintain its heating elements, and the coffee pods leave something to be desired.

I checked out the smaller, less-expensive Keurigs in the stores, but they felt very flimsy and I had read reviews about them breaking down frequently.

My HB One-Scoop feels sturdy, doesn't take up much counter space, was reasonably priced and, best of all, makes a great cup of coffee. It took a few tries for me to determine how fine to grind my beans and how much of it to use, but after that, it's been a breeze: You take your cup, fill it with water and pour that into the reservoir on top. Then, you take the scoop (which doubles as a filter), scoop out the amount of ground coffee you want, slap that scoop into a filter cup that is already sitting in the well, close the lid and press either the "regular" or "bold" button. The coffee drips quietly into your cup. Also, clean up literally takes seconds - All you need to do is rinse out the scoop filter and filter cup in hot water.

You don't have to plug this unit in until you're ready to use it, and an adjustable shelf allow you to use a smaller mug or a larger travel-sized mug.

This comes with two scoops, so you can make more than one cup of coffee if you have company and not have to stick a wet scoop into your ground coffee. We have also used it just for hot water for tea and it works equally well with a rinsed out filter scoop and filter cup.

In addition, the scoop and water reservoir also has measurement lines for an 8 oz. and 14 oz. cup of coffee, although I do use extra coffee to get the strength I like.

I love being able to use my favorite coffees and not get stuck buying expensive, weak-flavored pods. I'm so glad I got this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lean, "Green", Easy-to-Clean Coffee Making Machine!, April 10, 2012
Single-serve coffee makers: you name it, I've owned it. Keurig, Tassimo, and Dolce Gusto: all of them are fun at first, but once the novelty wears off they're nothing but proprietary machines serving up very spendy (and small) cups of coffee and contributing constantly to land fills. :(

I bought a "My K-Cup" for my Keurig, one way to cut down on the expense (and the garbage) but it gets to be kind of a pain to rinse and fill and cap that little thing each time. With Tassimo and Dolce Gusto, you're really stuck. There's no way to make your own T-Discs or Dolce-Gusto capsules.

I had a nice espresso machine, and purchased ESE pods, which took care of a lot of the mess that espresso machines tend to create. But once again, those really add up, and if all you want is just a good cuppa joe, then you also need a kettle (or electric kettle) to boil hot water to make an Americano.

Used a French press for quite a while, too...I still wasted coffee, though. And warmed up second cups in the microwave.

And then--VOILA! I found this machine! I had never heard of it until I stumbled upon it at our local Fred Meyer. It was on sale and I impulse-bought it on the spot.

This thing is just great. It's really simple, so I wonder why no one ever thought of it before? There's no noisy pump contraption (to break down later); it's really just a regular old automatic drip coffee maker, but on a small scale, brewing one cup (8-14oz) at a time. Having the part that holds the grinds also be the scoop to scoop up the coffee is just brilliant. The little hook on the side to hang up an extra scoop: genius. One cup at a time. Nice and hot, everyone gets it the way they like it, no more leftover coffee sitting on the burner turning nasty, only to be tossed down the drain later. No carafe to clean (and de-scale and eventually break). I drink my coffee in the morning; my DH works third shift and drinks his in the evening: one regular cup, and then a big travel cup to go, and this machine does both sizes (and anything in-between) perfectly.

It's a slender machine with a small footprint so it takes up very little space on my already-too-crowded counter, it contributes absolutely no garbage (not even paper filters), it is super-easy to clean, it is stainless steel and black and very modern and attractive, and you can use ANY kind of coffee you like, and make it any size you like, and any strength you like, and it is EASY!

You just can't go wrong with this machine. I love it. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Found filters for it! (update), January 13, 2012
I had spent a lot of time looking at Keurig-type single serve coffee pots, but was put off by the combination of the high cost, the high cost PER CUP using those pre-filled pods, and reviews that frankly left me scared about an apparently high unit-failure rate. So I perked up (pardon the coffee pun) when I saw a commercial for this brewer.

I have owned this for a little over a month now and here's my experience with it:

* It makes really good coffee, really easily. Use the filter/scoop as an actual scoop, or use your own coffee teaspoon to fill the basket, either way is good. I have found, as some other reviewers have noted, that it's very difficult to get a really strong cup of coffee, if you like it that way, though I have experimented with just buying some very bold ground coffees and that does produce a strong cup. I honestly can't distinguish the strength of a cup brewed in this machine versus in my former 8 cup cofee brewer.

* The "permanent filter," which is a metal mesh filter in the bottom of the scoop, does an adequate job but honestly I just don't like the flavor of coffee filtered through these type of permanent baskets (I've used them before - for very short trial runs! - with larger coffee pots). I just prefer the taste of paper-filtered coffee. I actually experimented with cutting a piece of a full-size generic coffee filter to fit this scoop and seeing if it made a noticeable difference - it did! That brought on an exhaustive web search for filters that would fit this basket - nothing. I'm hoping Hamilton Beach will come out with some. It doesn't even need to be a "basket" type filter, based on the design of the scoop - only a tiny wafer of a filter that fits along the bottom where the mesh screen is located.

* The instructions for this machine are very straightforward but I have to take exception with the "water in/water out" part. If you take a mug and fill it to the brim with water and put that water in the pot, then place the same mug under the coffee maker while it brews your coffee.... you will get about 3/4 a cup of coffee! I have absolutely NO IDEA where the water is going. It's not leaking, it's not evaporating (there's a full lid that covers the water chamber.) I'm perplexed! But it's an easily replicable phenomena. I experimented a few times with using a container larger than my morning coffee mug to get just the right "to the brim" cup of coffee and finally settled on a fairly standard coffee mug size using a red plastic Party Drink cup to fill the reservoir. Individual results may vary as they say - do your own experimentation.

* I adore how quick and easy this is to use. I set the pot up before going to bed, then flick it on as soon as I get up. In the time it takes me to scramble a couple eggs (which you know is NO time at all) the bright blue brewing light turns off and the mug is ready. I love just walking away with the mug without having to pour a cup of coffee - no waste, no fuss.

* Hamilton Beach did the right thing in including TWO scoops with the unit, so you always have one dry and ready to go. I'm bad about not dumping the grounds until I'm prepping the mug for the next morning, and using the extra scoop allows me to rinse out todays and use a dry one for tomorrows.

* Before buying this I read some reviews that said their filter scoops started RUSTING after just a few uses. I panicked briefly when I saw what looked like rust on my own scoop after a few uses, but then just rubbed it with my finger and realized it was actually coffee residue! I couldn't imagine anyone would make a coffee filter out of something that would rust, so I was comforted to find it wasn't rust at all.

* I also read some reviews where people complained about coffee splattering all over the counter. My own experience has been that the ONLY way that can happen is if you aren't using the provided mug platform. That's why it's there, people - use it.

All in all I am VERY happy with this coffee maker. It looks very stylish with it's chrome finish and I have already gotten lots of compliments on it. Most of the time it's just me having coffee, but if someone else wants some it is VERY fast to brew them a fresh mug. I didn't purchase this product at Amazon but in a big-box retail store (sorry Amazon, I still love ya!) - it is widely available lots of places. Worth every penny.

UPDATE: I found filters that work WONDERFULLY with this coffee maker, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LTOCSG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details. Ordered them at Amazon and they arrived VERY quickly, and at around $5 for 300 it's a hard deal to beat. They are just what is needed for this cofee maker, simple discs that sit at the bottom of the scoop - you don't need a "basket" design filter because of the way the scoop is made, with only the bottom having the steel mesh permanent filter. These are ideal and really take off that edge that some coffees have.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T FIND A BETTER CUP OF COFFEE, November 30, 2011
I am a coffee connoisseur. I have tried every machine from the Senseo to the Bunn Home Cafe (very expensive coffee brewer) to the French Press. I am tired of the "pod" machines because you just cannot get a good cup of coffee, even when you make your own pods. Therefore, I researched numerous coffee brewers and was contemplating getting a Keurig when I spotted this coffee brewer during a TV commercial. My first thought was that this is the ideal concept -- scooping your own coffee -- no pods or K-cups. I purchased this brewer and was determined not to like it because it wasn't an "expensive" brewer. While it does have several inconveniences, like having to refill the water reservoir each time you want a cup of coffee, bottom line is it makes the best cup of coffee for a single serve coffee maker that I've ever tasted! It is a simple machine, but ideal for those who just want a delicious cup of coffee each time you turn it on. Another plus, the water gets very hot, unlike other machines I've used where the water comes out luke warm.

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 Months daily use, and not a single problem yet. (see my customer pic), October 19, 2013
I was planning on reviewing this item after about 6 Months of use. But I forgot. :( Today I stumbled upon the HB Scoop on another website and realized that perhaps a review from a long time user may actually be more helpful. I purchased this either here or from Target, can't remember, after swearing I would not pay $250+ for a Keurig, or another esoteric "European" style coffee maker. The Keurig K-cup makes an excellent cup 'o Joe, but the single serving is 8 oz., and the HB Scoop will do a near flawless 15 oz. In order to get "that" cup of coffee, the one where after the first sip you look down into the cup and say to yourself, "Now, that's good", you're going to have to find the right bean for the Scoop. OR... use 12 oz. of water or less. Currently I am using a Brand called *Death Wish Coffee*. It will supercharge a 15 oz cup using the Scoop on Bold (slow-er brew) setting with Keurig-like flavor. But be warned, Death Wish is NOT for the faint of heart. ...literally. Other beans can work as well, but you just have to experiment to find your own taste. I'm getting sidetracked, The most important part of my review is the fact that my HB Scoop has probably seen about 1,200 brewing cycles and hasn't hiccuped once. See the notes on my customer picture. Some of my friends with Keurig's and other exotic style brewers always seem to have mechanical issues. The Scoop is like the Energizer Bunny of single serve coffee makers - it just keeps going. Overall, I am very pleased - 2 years out

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Reviews with a Grain of Salt., November 18, 2013
Whenever I purchase something in the last few years, I always read the reviews first to see if many folks are having problems with the product. Most of the time, even when I read very negative reviews, I try and determine if it is worth trying the product due to the many positive reviews that are usually posted. Ninety nine percent of the time I have zero problems with the product after using it. I attribute this to two different factors, mainly:

1. The negative reviewer didn't read the directions before using the product, or if they read them, they didn't follow them carefully. This especially applies to keeping both filters clean after each brew by rinsing them, and cleaning the water path once a month with vinegar/water mixture.
2. The reviewer has some kind of axe to grind with the manufacturer, maybe employment related, or past experience with another product from the same manufacturer, etc,,,, etc.

Despite some bad reviews on this Hamilton Beach Scoop coffee maker, basically stating that it doesn't make hot coffee, it leaks, the coffee tastes bad, has grinds in the bottom of the cup, or it is very weak, I decided to buy one to try it for myself. I read and carefully followed the directions and ran a couple of cups of water through it first. I noticed on the first cup, that not all the water I had put in with the cup I was using, returned to the cup the first time I cycled it. It was about 1 inch lower. Easy explanation, some of the water must be retained in the chamber where the heating element is located. I filled it the second time, carefully measuring the input and output levels in my test cup , and when finished the levels were exactly the same. I checked the temperature of the water and it was very HOT....

Now to make some coffee, I filled it to the normal level which is the lower mark on the metal part of the scoop, which is clearly described and illustrated in the included color pamphlet that comes along with the instruction book. I used a normal drip grind, of my current coffee favorite, Community Coffee. I hit the Bold button because I like a fairly strong cup of coffee, and away it went. Within seconds the water started dripping through the filters in the brewing area and coffee started pouring into the cup. By the way, I think some people are using the scoop to dump the coffee into the lower filter, which is not what you are supposed to to. You are supposed to place the scoop with the coffee in it, on top of the filter, so now there are 2 filters that the coffee will go through before it gets to your cup. That is probably the reason why some reviews said there were coffee grounds in the bottom of the cup. Here is what I did not see, splashing, coffee flying out onto the counter, imitations of Old Faithful , etc. etc... The coffee just poured into my normal sized coffee cup and that was that.

The coffee finished brewing, and I noticed that the level was down about an inch from the place where the water had been. Simple solution, the coffee itself had absorbed a small percentage of the water, and that is what was missing. I just poured a bit more water into the water hopper, hit the brew button again and I within seconds I had a full cup of piping hot , dark, and delicious coffee. So now I know, to fill the cup that I will be drinking out of, up to the top, before dumping it into the machine, so that the coffee will be at the proper level for me to add a bit of creamer, and it will be at the proper level in my cup. Not rocket science, just a bit of common sense.

Cleaning the 3 parts, after brewing coffee, was a snap. All three components pop out of the machine, drop of dishwasher soap, and rinse with some hot water, and done. If you clean the filters immediately after making a cup, just a strong rinse with hot water is enough. I use one of those sink sprayers to spray it. Time to clean, about 10 seconds. You can also put everything in the dishwasher, according to the instructions, but I didn't think that was really necessary.

As to the coffee, it actually was a tad dark for my taste, so the next cup I brew, I am going to use the normal setting rather than the bold setting for the brew, and it should be perfect. The machine looks like it is very well built, a lot of metal used in it's construction, and it's nice looking, and takes up a very small footprint on my counter top. I also compared the construction to some of the Keurig machines I saw, which looked very cheap and full of plastic in comparison.

If I have any issues with this machine, I will update the review, but if it is anything like the last Hamilton Beach Machine, the Brewstation 6 cup, which is going on it's 4th year, and still works perfectly, I don't anticipate much of a problem with the new one.

I had read quite a few reviews where users ordered some paper filters that fit this machine perfectly, and they report the coffee tastes a bit better with the paper filter, so I ordered a pack of them. Here is a link where you can order them and they are really inexpensive. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Advice for reviews of weak coffee, April 1, 2012
I did not buy this on Amazon but bought it at a brick and mortar after reading scores of poor reviews for every other type of single serve coffee maker made. I had given up on getting a strong cup of coffee from a "speed" brewer. After buying this machine I came home and read its reviews and again saw claims of weak coffee. My first 3 cups confirmed my fears. BUT my fourth cup I packed down the grounds with the back of a spoon and the cup was FANTASTIC. It was easily comparable to an actual cup from Dunkin'. This machine is well worth the investment at half the cost of any k-cup machine and the drawback of a weak cup is remedied with a very simple solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reserve judgment until you've had it a few weeks, September 1, 2012
In a six month period I had two Keurig coffee makers die. Both were less than three months old and were used sparingly; one cup of coffee per day. Keurig's customer service was awful; Amazon's was flawless. After Amazon credited my account for the first deceased Keurig, I purchased a different model Keurig, locally. It died within a month. I wanted a single serve brewer, so I decided to give the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker a try. Because of my recent history of failures with the Keurig, I bought a Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker locally. After two weeks of daily use, it began to balk and spit. I tried different grinds of coffee and less water. It was to no avail. I exchanged the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker for another; same make, same model. It's working perfectly, so far. I can use any grind of coffee and within the limits of the scoop/ measuring cup use as much ground coffee as I prefer. The temperature of the finished coffee has been consistently 175 degrees, an ideal temperature for me. Amazon's price on this machine is significantly lower than the local price.
ADDED September 8, 2012
After a few days and several cups of coffee made, a few observations:
1. Do not pack the grounds tightly, as you would in an espresso machine, or you'll have a mess.
2. Be certain that you don't overfill the coffee scoop. Fill only to the measured line.
3. The brewer's first release of "coffee" is clear water that will dilute your brew. If you can watch the first 30 seconds of the cycle, have a second receptacle at hand to take the first release of liquid from the brewer before you position your travel cup.
4. When the brew light goes off, there's still a lot of coffee to drip from the scoop filter; allow it the time to drip through.
5. When your cup is full, to your satisfaction, give it a quick stir.
ADDED September 18, 2012
There's a review, recently written, that recommends tightly packing the coffee in the scoop, if you want a stronger cup of coffee. DO NOT proceed in that manner, unless the coffee is an extremely coarse grind. You will have a mess and a filthy coffee maker. The brewer is simply a one cup drip pot, not a steam brewer, as in a steam driven espresso machine. Packed tightly, the grounds will inhibit water flow and will spray out. Also, be certain that you do not exceed the recommended amount of coffee grounds per cup. Again, that will create a mess. After 17 days with the current brewer, I've experimented with various grinds, amounts of ground coffee, and packing techniques. Lessons learned: Fill the scoop only to the recommended line; don't pack the coffee grounds; and don't add additional water beyond the recommended amount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Coffee in 90 Seconds, December 4, 2011
In an effort to keep this short, I'll just say that this machine does what is expected and looks good doing it. It will brew a well-bodied (or light if that's your preference) cup of coffee in 90 seconds. It is fantastic because gone are the days of apportioning coffee into a huge filter, buying those filters, changing them, cleaning out parts, etc... Just fill your mug with water, put that amount in reservoir, and place your mug on the brewing tray. Then take any of the two equally-sized stainless steel filters, fill as desired (there are lines to tell you half a cup or full cup), place on top and bring down the suction-based brew mechanism. Press Regular or Bold and wait 90 seconds.

A cup of coffee, which used to be dependent on an entire pot of coffee being brewed, now only needs 2 minutes from nothing to fully brewed, with the filter cleaned and emptied; awaiting another one of your cravings for coffee.