Published 10 months ago by Bobbie

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of your money
Published 9 months ago by LTH

4.0 out of 5 stars Brews better than Kuerig but only holds 8 oz of water at a time, December 28, 2013
Bobbie (California) - See all my reviews
Love this machine. I have a Keurig but got this for my mother. She doesn't drink a lot of coffee and loves her Folders. I brewed my K cup french roast with better results with this machine than my Keurig. It actually brews the coffee in a traditional manner so it takes longer. The basket for putting your own coffee into is a very good size, perhaps 3 times or more volume than the K cup. I cannot brew a decent cup of coffee on the Keuring self-fill baskets (I have 2 different ones). The only draw back is that it only holds 8 ounces of water. Also, if making consecutive cups, the basket is hot to change but I just ran it under cool water. On positive side, a very compact unit and you can store the self-fill basket in the stand when using K cups or vice versa. Seriously considering a switch to this machine. Better bewed coffee at half the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little coffee machine, April 11, 2014
Like many people, I got this as a replacement for a dead Keurig. I looked at a lot of machines out there, and I was specifically looking for something that could brew K-cups, coffee grounds or coffee soft pods. Most of the machines that could do this were expensive ($100+). This product though, it's only half that, and it can do the same thing, and it does the same thing very well.
One nice thing about the Keurig was that it was fast, as it pushed the hot water through with a good amount of pressure. This resulted in a quick brew, no doubt, but when using my own coffee grounds, it was not very easy to find the perfect sweet spot that made GOOD coffee. K-cups, they were usually perfect though.

This unit, however, is the slightly slower 'drip' method, and instead of ~1.0 min for a cup from one of the Keurig model, this one takes ~2.0 mins for a cup. However, because the water has contact with the coffee for substantially longer, the coffee made with my own grounds is absolutely better with this machine than the Keurig. The K-cups are just as good, no better or worse than a Keurig machine (which is a good thing).

So, what it boils down to is that the coffee takes maybe a minute longer to brew, but it does so with the drip technique rather than the forced-water technique. This results in the same taste for K-cups, but better taste when brewing your own coffee. And unlike the Keurig, you don't have to buy a separate piece of equipment to use your own coffee grounds. Also, you get the added bonus (over the Keurig) of being able to buy/use coffee soft pods, which is awesome. Much like the K-cup world, there are a lot of coffee soft pod makers out there with some fantastic coffees in ready-to-go little pods.

End result, I'm actually extremely satisfied and a little surprised by this great little machine. I don't have any negative things to say about the Keurig, but honestly, this seems just as good, for less money, and more functionality.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can read and follow simple instructions, buy it., September 3, 2014
Some people have bought this coffee maker and are experiencing mishaps. I think some (not all) of them are just not reading and/or following the instructions correctly. That being said, here is my review:

For the price, this is a great coffee maker. It is probably the most versatile coffee maker by design. There are some downfalls but we'll get to those. I am a college student, so money (or lack thereof) is a big concern of mine. I wanted to get a coffee maker that could brew K-Cups because of the convenience and easy clean up. But I also wanted a coffee maker that could brew regular coffee, because it is cheaper. So now, depending on my finances, I can select which coffee works best for me. I also wanted to get a coffee maker that wouldn't cost $100 or more.

I hate when reviewers complain about things that are made very clear in the product description, if they didn't like that feature about it, they shouldn't have bought it. That would be like me complaining that it is black.

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
-Brews 3 kinds of coffee. K-Cups, Grounds, and soft pods.
-Easy to clean and use.
-Holds short and tall mugs.
-Has REAL stainless steel on the front and sides.
-It's CHEAP.
-It has a small footprint (great for dorms).

Cons:
-Only holds 10oz. of water in the reservoir, so each time you have to fill it. (However, this is clearly noted in the product description, so it's no surprise. For the money, this isn't a big issue).
-Near the end of the brew cycle, if using a K-Cup, it makes a moderate amount of noise and hissing, followed by steam coming out.
-When using ground coffee, always use the removable basket, regardless of ground size, otherwise grounds will come out.
-The fine mesh filter still allow very, very fine grounds into the coffee.
-It steeps the coffee for about 1 and 1/2 minutes, so some K-Cups, which are not meant to steep very long, may taste bitter (Regular grounds are meant to steep).

UPDATE: After about 2 months of use, I noticed it making a lot more hissing near the end of the brew cycle. And it took longer to fill up the mug. So I looked at the "needle" at the top, and saw that it was clogged with some coffee grounds. So I took a paper clip and cleared it out, and it works normally now. I would post a picture of the amount of coffee I got out, but Amazon won't let me post any customer images.

Overall, I would say the Pros outweigh the Cons greatly. I would recommend this product to another person. If you find this review helpful, please click yes below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic-Money saver, December 30, 2013
Ingeborg Coffman (lakeland, florida) - See all my reviews
I purchased a single cup brewer from Hamilton previously, loved it. I can use my German brand coffee which I love, it saves money and brews better coffee than the expensive one cup brewers, with not much choice of tasty coffee. I have taken my Hamilton one cup brewer, with me to my job. I purchase now my second one and choose again the Hamilton 1 cup brewer, I can brew coffee for 10 cents, if you watch the coffee sales, which I do. I came from a country who makes fantastic coffee makers, have not seen one for the price of this one and a quality cup of coffee it makes. I give 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight hiccup, but it works great now., April 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is perfect for someone looking for a ONE CUP coffee maker. I own a Keurig at home and thought this would be nice for my desk at work. The first two brews were a disaster. the directions included are horrendous, nothing like the directions that come with your Keurig. I'd compare them to directions you get with Ikea furniture. Had i have had good thorough directions i would've had it working right from the get go. I didn't realize i had move the needle that punctures the bottom of the k cup, so my first brew, spewed all over the place because all that water wasn't going through the k cup. after looking over all the parts and accessing the damage, i noticed the k cup wasn't punctured. i moved the needle back into place and it has been working fine ever since. If anyone else is having issues with it spewing, make sure the k cup has a hole on the top, and one on the bottom. each k cup gets two holes punctured, an in and an out hole. For the price, which is about $30 less than a single brew keurig, its worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Review of the HB FlexBrew, May 10, 2014
I was uncertain whether to buy the FlexBrew, based on the mixed reviews, but I decided to try it. I have found that most of the reviews, both good and bad, are true. I love my Keurig Elite, but wanted a smaller coffemaker to take when traveling. I have also used the Keurig Mini Plus at work, but I liked the idea of the FlexBrew because it can use K-cups, ground coffee, tea bags, and pods. And who doesn't like its lower price? I have tested the FlexBrew with all versions of coffee/tea and found that it works very well, as described in the positive reviews. Now for the negative reviews--I found that the Keurig K-cups work fine, but a Gevalia K-cup did seem to get a little too hot, there was some sputtering and burning smell, so I turned the brewer off before it was totally complete. But the resulting coffee was just fine. I think, as others have described, the FlexBrew probably gets a little hotter than the Keurig because it works a little differently. Tea bags, ground coffee, and coffee pods worked just fine. Be sure to press the lock lever before you start the brew. You have to wait a couple of minutes between cups if you are making multiple cups. The water reservoir best holds about 8 ounces, but as one reviewer mentioned, you could just keep adding a little water at the top as the coffee is brewing and dripping into your large mug. Use a measuring cup with a spout or a water bottle to slowly add water at the top. You can't just quickly dump a cup of water in the top, it has to be slow. When you are done, hold your hand or a paper towel (if it is still warm!) under the pod holder when you remove it. If you don't, you will end up with a mess from the drips. The FlexBrew works just fine if you just use a little common sense!

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of your money, January 1, 2014
LTH (Longmont, CO) - See all my reviews
I bought the Hamilton Beach Flex Brew for my son for his college dorm room. He needed a coffee maker that has an auto shutoff and was easy to use and clean. I found it on clearance and brought it home and decided to try it before I gave it to him. It worked great! I made 10 mugs of coffee with it over a few days and thought it was the perfect fit for him. We packed it up and delivered him and all his stuff to college. I talked to him a few days after being at school and asked him how everything was and he said the coffee maker had spewed coffee grounds and water all over the kitchen and had made a huge water mess. He thought he had not loaded the cup correctly, cleaned up the mess and after class had attempted making another cup, same messy result. The warranty says that Hamilton Beach requires you to pay shipping to and from their returns department.

note: I don't like to give up...so crazy me happened upon a great deal for another Flex Brew and bought it. I thought I would give the Flex Brew another try despite my son's negative experiences with it. Mine was no better. In the morning I made a cup of coffee it was great, no issues. I used a kcup. In the afternoon of the same day I attempted another cup. I was afraid the coffee maker was going to blow up. Steam was shooting out from under the lid you lift to fill the reservoir and the plastic lid was warping with the heat. It looked like a pressure cooker going off. It dripped coffee full of grounds and made a coffee mess all over the front of the machine. I got online and started reading about other people's results of using the machine, cleaned it all up, made sure the nozzle was clean and clear, etc.. Made sure I waited until it was completely cold and tried again. At this point I determined I was crazy,I was expecting different results, them same thing happened again. What a mess and the plastic was melting from the steam spewing forth. I cut off the power cord, tore the coffee pot apart trying to figure out what had happened but can only believe that the pressure relief spring was failing to hold a plug against a gasket and sending the high pressure steam/water out the top instead of thru the coffee basket. I'm an electrical engineer, have lots of experience, love a good puzzle. I now know why the 2 different places had the Hamilton Beach Flex Brew on clearance, it is defective and actually dangerous to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Little Brewer, March 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This coffeemaker brews a good cup of coffee. It is easy to keep clean and is very office friendly. (I also like the fact that you can use either Keurig pods, Senseo pods, ground coffee or even tea in it - I like having options.) After almost the first use, this is very easy to use.

One thing to keep in mind is that because it is a single serve brewer and you add the water just prior to making a cup of coffee, it is not as fast as larger "pod" machines that keep water in reserve - keeping it warm/hot. The time to make a cup is more like the time a traditional coffee maker would take. Also, if there is a spill or overflow, there is not a large collection tray. (But I don't think that would happen very often - this does only brew an 8 oz. cup, after all.)

Overall, this is a nice machine for that "afternoon" cup of coffee to have a backup in the office. It's very handy and works very well for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brews a great, strong cup of coffee but can be messy, July 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Hamilton Beach 49999A FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffemaker brews a stronger cup of coffee than the Keurig brewers was the first thing I noticed on my first cup of coffee from this brewer. That's plus for me since I love a strong cup of coffee. However, I didn't not like how the brewer spews coffee. You have to be sure your cup of coffee is up close to the where coffee is dispensed or your counter will be covered in coffee splatter. Also, only the plastic K-cups will work in this brewer. I could not use my San Francisco Bay Coffee Fog Chaser, 12-Count OneCup Single Serve Cups (Pack of 3) filter K-cups in this brewer.

Pros:
- Strong cup of coffee
- Auto-shut off
- Doesn't take up a lot of counter space
- Can use a large mug or large travel cup easily

Cons:
- Have to add water for every cup of coffee
- Easy to overfill, had to use a measuring cup to prevent overfilling
- Splatters coffee, if the cup is not right up under the dispenser
- Cord is short
- Can't use filter K-cups like the ones by San Francisco Bay Coffee
- Adjustable cup rest will not work with all cups/mugs. I had to rig mine in order to get my mug up close to the dispenser to prevent splatter

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets our needs, January 27, 2014
We have limited counter space and this item has a small footprint. There isn't a reservoir so water must be added for each cup, for us that is perfect. Works great, easy to use. Best purchase decision

Hamilton Beach 49995 FlexBrew Single Serve Coffeemaker