5.0 out of 5 stars A HIT!
Published 23 months ago by frisky2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Final update. Replacement no better.
Published 23 months ago by D. Hentze

5.0 out of 5 stars A HIT!, November 22, 2012
frisky2000 (Forever Summer) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 49995 FlexBrew Single Serve Coffeemaker (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am very fussy about my coffee maker. If the appliance is too expensive, too bulky, too complicated, too messy to clean up, etc., it doesn't stand a chance in my three cup a day kitchen. We got this little beauty day before Thanksgiving, just in time for the holiday dessert table. I can't say enough about it! There are three ways to make your favorite coffee: 1. regular ground coffee goes into the basket (no filter needed) or 2. you can use a coffee pod or finally, for those who like variety, 3. K-Cups are easily inserted into the removeable slide-in tray. To allow for two sizes of coffee cups, the lower portion of the unit lets you place either a large travel mug on top, or flip it over for a higher ledge to place a smaller mug. Water in the back, press the button, and within minutes you're drinking a hot cup of joe! Realizing it's only a single cup machine, we don't expect to use this when we have more than a small handful of guests. But for the daily cups there is nothing better. We love how quickly you clean up, a simple rinse of the grinds from the basket and you're set for the next cup. Instructions say to run a solution of 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup water through the unit every month or so to clean it out. This makes more sense than the more costly machines that require descaling and fancy solutions in order to keep the coffee tasting great. It's a tall and thin machine, so you easily slide it beside other kitchen appliances without taking up much counter space. Black and stainless steel finish go with everything. I have other Hamilton Beach kitchen apppliances and honestly have not been disappointed yet. This coffee maker is a keeper!

2.0 out of 5 stars Final update. Replacement no better., November 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I never considered buying a Keurig Coffee Brewer due to the high cost for the maker, the cost per cup of coffee, and the mixed reviews on flavor. When I received my " ", I wasn't expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised and impressed. I went out and found my favorite "Eight O'Clock" brand coffee available in K-Cups and on sale at my local supermarket. Setting up and using the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew was simple and fast. My first cup of K-Cup coffee came out perfect. I was impressed. Despite maxing out the water capacity at around 10-12oz, the coffee was not weak or odd tasting. It was a perfect cup of coffee. Next, I tried brewing a regular cup of coffee using standard coffee grounds. The results were good, but not as good as my old $14 Black and Decker 1 cup "Brew N Go" coffee maker. The coffee was good, but tasted a little "off". I tried a couple of other cups adjusting the amount of coffee, but the results were the same. It was by no means bad, but I just like the taste of my old maker, and the K-Cup coffee better. Brew time was fast. It takes a little longer to start brewing, but once it starts, it flows faster than my old machine. Total time is about the same. About 3-4 minutes. One thing that is much better than my old machine is that the FlexBrew's coffee is hotter. All in all, the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker is an impressive machine, at a very good price. As long as you're not looking to make a large cup of coffee, I recommend it.

Pros:
Very good tasting coffee.
Less than 1/2 the price of an average Keurig machine.
Compatible with coffee grounds, K-Cup packs, or soft pods.
Easy to use and convenient.
Well built with stainless steel and dishwasher safe removable plastic parts.

Cons:
K-Cup packs cost per cup.
Maximum 10-oz brewing capacity.
Travel mug not included.
Results using regular coffee grounds are good, not great.

Update 02/2013:
I left my original review up to show that I was at one time happy with this machine. Unfortunately, 2 months later that is no longer the case. I'm experiencing the same "water shooting all over the place" that others reported. The problem are that the nozzle that punctures the K-Cup is either no longer sharp enough to puncture the K-Cup fully, it gets clogged with coffee, or it has shifted to the point it is no longer puncturing it correctly. Either way, these are serious flaws that seems to pop up over time, or in the cases of some other reviewers, affects the coffeemaker right out of the box. Another issue is that sometimes it punctures the cup correctly, but water pressure builds up shooting water all over my kitchen after brewing a partial cup of coffee. I definitely can no longer recommend the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Single-Serve Coffeemaker.

Update 03/11/13:
I received a replacement unit from Hamilton Beach. The first thing I noticed is that the new coffee maker comes with another basket for using coffee grounds. This extra basket was not included with the first coffee maker. I've used the coffee maker several times using grounds and K-Cups. So far it works perfectly. I'm skeptical though since my first one worked perfectly too when I first used it. Has the design been improved, and the bugs worked out? Only time will tell, but it is only fair to report that Hamilton Beach seemed concerned about the problems being reported, and they did send me a working machine.

Final Update 03/14/13: Well, it didn't take long for my replacement coffee maker to show its true colors. After brewing about 10 or so K-Cup cups of coffee without incident, the new HB 49995 coffee maker decided to spray hot water all over my kitchen. It brewed about 1/2 the cup normally as it should, but apparently as some others have pointed out, the HB 49995 just isn't strong enough to force the water through the K-Cups all the time, resulting in pressure buildup until the water has no place else to go but out the top of the K-Cup holder and all over your kitchen. This is 2 coffee makers now that exhibit the same exact problems using the K-Cups recommended by Hamilton Beach. I'm done messing with this thing, and highly recommend you look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brews better than Kuerig but only holds 8 oz of water at a time, December 28, 2013
Bobbie (California) - See all my reviews
Love this machine. I have a Keurig but got this for my mother. She doesn't drink a lot of coffee and loves her Folders. I brewed my K cup french roast with better results with this machine than my Keurig. It actually brews the coffee in a traditional manner so it takes longer. The basket for putting your own coffee into is a very good size, perhaps 3 times or more volume than the K cup. I cannot brew a decent cup of coffee on the Keuring self-fill baskets (I have 2 different ones). The only draw back is that it only holds 8 ounces of water. Also, if making consecutive cups, the basket is hot to change but I just ran it under cool water. On positive side, a very compact unit and you can store the self-fill basket in the stand when using K cups or vice versa. Seriously considering a switch to this machine. Better bewed coffee at half the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little coffee machine, April 11, 2014
Like many people, I got this as a replacement for a dead Keurig. I looked at a lot of machines out there, and I was specifically looking for something that could brew K-cups, coffee grounds or coffee soft pods. Most of the machines that could do this were expensive ($100+). This product though, it's only half that, and it can do the same thing, and it does the same thing very well.
One nice thing about the Keurig was that it was fast, as it pushed the hot water through with a good amount of pressure. This resulted in a quick brew, no doubt, but when using my own coffee grounds, it was not very easy to find the perfect sweet spot that made GOOD coffee. K-cups, they were usually perfect though.

This unit, however, is the slightly slower 'drip' method, and instead of ~1.0 min for a cup from one of the Keurig model, this one takes ~2.0 mins for a cup. However, because the water has contact with the coffee for substantially longer, the coffee made with my own grounds is absolutely better with this machine than the Keurig. The K-cups are just as good, no better or worse than a Keurig machine (which is a good thing).

So, what it boils down to is that the coffee takes maybe a minute longer to brew, but it does so with the drip technique rather than the forced-water technique. This results in the same taste for K-cups, but better taste when brewing your own coffee. And unlike the Keurig, you don't have to buy a separate piece of equipment to use your own coffee grounds. Also, you get the added bonus (over the Keurig) of being able to buy/use coffee soft pods, which is awesome. Much like the K-cup world, there are a lot of coffee soft pod makers out there with some fantastic coffees in ready-to-go little pods.

End result, I'm actually extremely satisfied and a little surprised by this great little machine. I don't have any negative things to say about the Keurig, but honestly, this seems just as good, for less money, and more functionality.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can read and follow simple instructions, buy it., September 3, 2014
Some people have bought this coffee maker and are experiencing mishaps. I think some (not all) of them are just not reading and/or following the instructions correctly. That being said, here is my review:

For the price, this is a great coffee maker. It is probably the most versatile coffee maker by design. There are some downfalls but we'll get to those. I am a college student, so money (or lack thereof) is a big concern of mine. I wanted to get a coffee maker that could brew K-Cups because of the convenience and easy clean up. But I also wanted a coffee maker that could brew regular coffee, because it is cheaper. So now, depending on my finances, I can select which coffee works best for me. I also wanted to get a coffee maker that wouldn't cost $100 or more.

I hate when reviewers complain about things that are made very clear in the product description, if they didn't like that feature about it, they shouldn't have bought it. That would be like me complaining that it is black.

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
-Brews 3 kinds of coffee. K-Cups, Grounds, and soft pods.
-Easy to clean and use.
-Holds short and tall mugs.
-Has REAL stainless steel on the front and sides.
-It's CHEAP.
-It has a small footprint (great for dorms).

Cons:
-Only holds 10oz. of water in the reservoir, so each time you have to fill it. (However, this is clearly noted in the product description, so it's no surprise. For the money, this isn't a big issue).
-Near the end of the brew cycle, if using a K-Cup, it makes a moderate amount of noise and hissing, followed by steam coming out.
-When using ground coffee, always use the removable basket, regardless of ground size, otherwise grounds will come out.
-The fine mesh filter still allow very, very fine grounds into the coffee.
-It steeps the coffee for about 1 and 1/2 minutes, so some K-Cups, which are not meant to steep very long, may taste bitter (Regular grounds are meant to steep).

UPDATE: After about 2 months of use, I noticed it making a lot more hissing near the end of the brew cycle. And it took longer to fill up the mug. So I looked at the "needle" at the top, and saw that it was clogged with some coffee grounds. So I took a paper clip and cleared it out, and it works normally now. I would post a picture of the amount of coffee I got out, but Amazon won't let me post any customer images.

Overall, I would say the Pros outweigh the Cons greatly. I would recommend this product to another person. If you find this review helpful, please click yes below.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use - good coffee! Keurig is better though, November 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From my wife Sarah: I had previously given the Hamilton a 5 star rating, but now I'm changing my review. The old review is below, and is still true. If you don't have the budget for a keurig, the Hamilton Beach is still decent. However I recently purchased a Keurig at a great price from Costco, and wow - the difference was tremendous. I highly recommend the Keurig. Here's the comparison:

- The keurig is so much faster. You get your coffee in under a minute. The Hamilton takes quite a while. I'd guess at least around 5 minutes. It makes it challenging to time your coffee with your meal, especially if you're cooking for two.

- You must use the same amount of water in the Hamilton for each cup. The water only fills my average coffee cup maybe half way up.

The Keurig has several cup size choices. I can choose a small amount of water for a small cup, fill up my large mug, or choose a size in between.

- The coffee just tastes better using the Keurig, using the same exact K-cup. I have no idea why this is, but both my husband and I feel there's a marked difference in taste.

- You can fill up the water dispenser on the keurig and make several cups from it. For the Hamilton you must fill up the coffee maker each time you make a cup of coffee.

- The Hamilton makes a lot of steam, which rises up. It has a very short electrical cord, so I can't move the coffee maker out from under my cabinets. The steam rises up and hits the underside of my cabinets, which can't be good for it long term. The Keurig creates much less steam.

Here's my old review of the Hamilton:

This is great! At around 1/2 the cost of a Keurig, we really like it. Here's why:

- It's super easy to use.
- It makes good coffee.
- You can use any of the K-Cups, and you can also use your own ground coffee beans. I like this option.
- It turns itself off so you won't leave it on by accident.
- It looks very slick and fits in nicely with our kitchen with black and stainless steel. It doesn't take up a lot of space.
- It's very easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted - very satisfied, March 9, 2013
I've had the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew coffee maker for about a week now, and I've given it a thorough workout. I purchased this to use at work. I wanted a single-cup brewer. I decided on the FlexBrew, but because of the range of the reviews, I tried it at home first. That unit will remain in my kitchen; I purchased a second FlexBrew for work that arrived this morning.

Of the units that can use K-cups, the Keurigs are freakin' huge for a single cup coffee maker, pretty expensive as far as I'm concerned, and I wasn't all that impressed with the build-quality. The FlexBrew isn't a Cadillac either, but the Keurigs are also all-plastic, and actually seem cheaper to me. Black & Decker and Mr. Coffee also make K-cup brewers; they're a bit less expensive than the Keurigs, but nearly as large and also can ONLY use K-cups. The FlexBrew costs half as much as the Keurigs, is much more compact, and while it allows K-cup use, it doesn't lock you into it.

Using this coffee maker there's no fuss, no mess. Coffee temperature is right where I want it; hot enough that initially I have to "slurp" it a bit to cool it off, but not so hot I risk burns. Coffee I brought from home to work was still "cautious" hot an hour later. (I used a thermal travel mug, but it doesn't have great insulation.)

K-Cups - the coffees I've tried were excellent; no grounds in my cup. You can overfill the reservoir a bit when using K-cups, but don't do it with the other methods. Just leave the cup alone after the light goes out for about 10-15 seconds; the coffee will then finish up with another stream. I've successfully filled the reservoir past the max ridge and up to the next ridge. Several people have complained about the K-cups "melting". They distort a bit from brewing, but I don't consider that "melted". They're a thin plastic container that extremely hot water is being forced through under pressure. Thin plastic is flexible, and heat softens it further, so it bulges slightly and ends up the shape of the ridges in the holder. There are no burn marks, holes etc., it's just distorted a little. I've never noticed any plastic taste.

Coffee Pods - tried them with no problems. Just can't find them in stores.

Tea Bags - tea bags are just poorly shaped coffee pods. Flat packet-type tea bags work fine, but I haven't tried the "flow-through" type folded bags, though I wouldn't think it would make a difference. Lay the tea bag flat in the bottom of the filter, covering the three filter openings. You could shake the bag a little to even out the tea leaves, but I don't think it's necessary.

Ground Coffee - using grounds there was less than a teaspoon of water and only a few grounds on the counter near the unit, but nothing like other people describe. I noticed afterward that the "flap" under the filter element wasn't secured completely. I had opened it while getting familiar with the unit, and hadn't secured it properly. It *will* latch, but you have to press *slightly* hard right near the latch until you hear a little click. When it's latched properly, it's very secure.

I knew before I bought it that there was fix from HB that addressed the overflowing issues with grounds. If your FlexBrew doesn't have a separate filter basket insert and has only the three filter openings when looking down at the bottom of the coffee container, contact Hamilton Beach support and they'll send you the part free. (I emailed them and had the part in a couple of days.) Look up Thomas Towhey's review from February 28, 2013 - he worked this out, and gives a good explanation. Click on "Yes" next to "Was this review helpful to you?" for him while you're at it - (Thanks Tom!). Ground coffee works fine with the updated filter basket. I didn't have any spattter or leakage during brewing, or grounds in my coffee afterwards.

My only complaint is it's a little awkward filling it from a cup, but all coffee makers seem to have quirks in this regard. This is one of the trickier ones though. If you're having problems, try using a different cup to fill it. I have one coffee cup that *won't* pour cleanly at the slow rate needed to fill the reservoir without splashing. At work I feed it bottled water, so it isn't an issue there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The overflow problem has been fixed by Hamilton Beach!, February 28, 2013
I bought one of these coffee makers in December. I bought it for 4 reasons:
1. I am the only coffee drinker in the house
2. I owned a Kurig, and it quit working about a year after I bought it (and was EXPENSIVE!)
3. I trusted the Hamilton Beach brand
4. the price was right.

At the time of purchase, I also bought a box of K-cups. I was very happy with my purchase, until I ran out of K-cups. I decided that for the sake of economy I would use my own ground coffee. That is when my problems began. The coffee maker would overflow from the brew basket, no matter how meticulously I measured the coffee and the water. It spread coffee and grounds all over my counter. I was sure I was doing something wrong, so I kept trying.... same results. I read on Amazon that people thought that it happened because the grounds were too fine, so I set my grinder to coarse - no help. I was ready to give up.

Then I went to the Hamilton Beach web site and to the contact us section. I clicked on the link to send them an e-mail, and told them my problem. In less than an hour I got a reply e-mail. they had redesigned the brew basket and were sending one to me! It came in 10 days, arriving last Saturday. It is an insert that sits in the original basket. The difference is that it is mesh on the sides AND the bottom, so there is much more area for the water to pass through.I noticed that the insert fits quite snugly, so I opted to push down on the K-cup lever when I brewed. This makes a slight gap between the sides of the insert and the original basket. I don't know if it is necessary, but it made me feel better! I have tried it 5 times since Saturday, with excellent results. I am very happy with it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic-Money saver, December 30, 2013
Ingeborg Coffman (lakeland, florida) - See all my reviews
I purchased a single cup brewer from Hamilton previously, loved it. I can use my German brand coffee which I love, it saves money and brews better coffee than the expensive one cup brewers, with not much choice of tasty coffee. I have taken my Hamilton one cup brewer, with me to my job. I purchase now my second one and choose again the Hamilton 1 cup brewer, I can brew coffee for 10 cents, if you watch the coffee sales, which I do. I came from a country who makes fantastic coffee makers, have not seen one for the price of this one and a quality cup of coffee it makes. I give 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight hiccup, but it works great now., April 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is perfect for someone looking for a ONE CUP coffee maker. I own a Keurig at home and thought this would be nice for my desk at work. The first two brews were a disaster. the directions included are horrendous, nothing like the directions that come with your Keurig. I'd compare them to directions you get with Ikea furniture. Had i have had good thorough directions i would've had it working right from the get go. I didn't realize i had move the needle that punctures the bottom of the k cup, so my first brew, spewed all over the place because all that water wasn't going through the k cup. after looking over all the parts and accessing the damage, i noticed the k cup wasn't punctured. i moved the needle back into place and it has been working fine ever since. If anyone else is having issues with it spewing, make sure the k cup has a hole on the top, and one on the bottom. each k cup gets two holes punctured, an in and an out hole. For the price, which is about $30 less than a single brew keurig, its worth checking out.

Hamilton Beach 49995 FlexBrew Single Serve Coffeemaker