5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perhaps not for the dim-witted
There are plenty of solid reviews for this, so to put your mind at ease about the others, let me address the one-star reviews.

Says one: "Doesn't work on ANYTHING. Can't even make smoothies." Makes you wonder what use the fifty people who gave it five stars have for it. A paperweight perhaps?

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or...
Published 17 months ago by Charles M.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 3 months until the motor stopped working
When I first got this blender it worked okay. It's definitely a more affordable blender, so I wasn't expecting the greatest results. However, after 3 months, the motor just stopped working. I even made sure to pulse after reading these reviews, but since it took a while to blend everything, I guess the motor eventually overheated.

I would make 2-4 smoothies a...
Published 22 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perhaps not for the dim-witted, September 3, 2013

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or vegetables. If they're trying this without liquid, they either 1) are not very bright; or 2) have wildly unrealistic expectations of a $20 drink blender.

I can tell you that I have bought a lot of these (mostly in the plastic version), because I think they are fantastic and I give them as gifts. When I get a new one for myself, it's because the old one is kind of gross from a year's worth of smoothie residue stuck in the cracks.

The stainless steel looks nicer in the kitchen, but I kind of miss being able to see what's happening during blending. A tradeoff...but either way, I promise you can make a smoothie.

ADVICE/UPDATE: It's possible given the design that if you put ice/fruit at the bottom, it will get stuck there and not get drawn into the blades. Put in your liquid first, and then your ice at the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fruit Smoothie Maker, July 31, 2010
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51103 Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)
This little blender is a jewel. Just the right size for a fairly large fruit smoothie. I've had it now for about a month, and have made a breakfast drink every day and its been very dependable. Some of the reviews I read prior to purchasing this one were somewhat negative. The issue was smelling the electric motor like it was overheating and not being able to blend some fruits like pineapple or apples. I haven't experienced the problems and suspect the folks were not (1)"pulsing" the drink mix as called for in the instructions and (2) not using only tender fruits like bananas and strawberries. The small motor is not designed for a hard grind nor continuous use, hence "pulse is required". And on top of being the right size, this blender was priced within my frugal budget. Yes, I'm a tight wad and demand a good product for my money, and this one fit the bill.
Ric

UPDATE:05/22/12 - Still going strong. I still make a smoothie or a breakfast drink everyday. This product is now a seven star for me!
Ric

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Mixer For The $$$$, April 5, 2010
YakPat (Beautiful NE Washington State) - See all my reviews
I've owned this single-serve blender for over a year. We use it 2 times every day (& sometimes more) with ice, fruit, protein powder, etc. We fill it to the top most times too. It blends great every time. No problems at all, ever! Wish I could say that for my Kitchen-Aid large blender. I highly recommend this small blender.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Smoothie Maker, August 9, 2012
I want to start out by saying that this little gadget works perfectly for my needs. However, I only gave it 4 stars because it doesn't do well crushing ice and green veggies but for the price how much can you expect. I always make protein with frozen fruit smoothies for breakfast. Don't count on this for your green smoothies either.

This is my personal smoothie maker and I just love it!! My recipe is: add the frozen fruit first, then protein powder, and finally fill almost to the top with cool water. I blend away, stir, blend to smoothest consistency, and head out the door in the mornings drinking out of the cup that blended in. So...if you are looking for an ice crushing blender or to make green smoothies, you will need more power. If you want an individual blender for your basic needs at home or work (especially at this price), this blender is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars it slices, it dices..., August 16, 2012
This personal blender does just what it says. It blends. I am on the HMR diet in which I blend and drink 3 or more shakes per day. These are mixed powder and ice cubes and this blender handles it all great. Add fruit, no problem. It is more quiet than my big blender I use at home for larger portions. Best of all it sits on a desk taking up no more space than the cup itself. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Change is good, January 6, 2013
I find a better flavor with my smoothies in the steel cup. The plastic cups get very scratched up in a short period of time. The few extra dollars are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 15, 2012
ok let me tell you that I read a lot of reviews on personal blender. including but not limited to the bullet, Oster, back to basic( which I almost picked) now I picked this one because of the price and high review rate. I just received this and couldn't wait to get my hand on some strawberries and bananas...so once I did I put it to the test and let me tell you works great. it crushes ice and the sliced fruit just like a regular would. not issues at all. one thing that I don't like and I knew before I bought its the fact that the blades don't come off. now for someone who is back at home who has a dishwasher this shouldn't be an issue, but I'm deployed and dishwasher isn't an option. so it sucks to have to clean the cup with the blades right there around your fingers. but other than that this thing is great. for less than 15 bucks, can't complain at all...gets my smoothies just the way I like them. now I did read a lot of reviews about the burning motor/smell and I tried it out. IF YOU HOLD THE PUSLE BUTTON FOR MORE THAN 5-10 SECONDS YES IT WILL SMEEL AND POSSIBLY BURN OUT. but this is NOT a regular blender. it has a PULSE button for a reason...if you just hole the button for 1-2 seconds intervals your blender will work great and it will last. no smell no burning out...if u can't let go of that button every 1-2 seconds then don't buy this, it will burn and break. but if you use common sense and use the pulse button as it was meant to be used then you will be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars best investment ever, April 21, 2012
Bought this in Jan 2012 as a new years resolution gift to myself to kick-start my commitment to healthier eating habits, specifically breakfast. Found this item at Target for $16 on sale and bought because of the decent reviews. I figure $16 is not a whole lot to lose - right? Well let me tell "YOOOU" (Yea, I'm saying that with attitude, but a happy one :)). This little counter gadget is the cheapest, but best in vestment I've made all year. '

I'm not a breakfast eater but I know it's an important meal. We should eat a healthy breakfast everyday as early as possible. Here's what I put in my daily breakfast smoothie - finished in seconds thanks to this blender:

1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen berries
6 oz organic apple juice (not from concentrate)
3 oz organic aloe vera juice
1 - 2 cups spinach/kale or 1 scoop Amazing Grass - Organic Green SuperFoods (this stuff has excellent ingredients)
2 tsp flaxseed meal or 1 tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil
1 tsp liquid chlorophyll

This great tasting, nutrition packed smoothie gives me much energy and gets me to 1PM with no snack attacks. Love, Love, Love!!!

Thanks Hamilton Beach for an awesome, easy to use, easy to clean blender, And best of all after my smoothie's made, I can keep my travel lid on and take my drink to go - right in the cup it's made in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly RecoBLENDed, February 19, 2013
Works great for frozen fruit/yogurt/almond milk smoothies! Works best when there's enough liquid, the pulse button is used in 1 second pulses, and when stubborn users (like I am) realize this is a personal blender and not a food processor.

+ + + PROS + + +
*Great price!
*Steel cup is durable and good insulator for smoothies!
*Easy to clean!
*Fast shipping by Amazon was nice, too!

- - - CON - - -
It doesn't make the smoothie for me then wash itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice, February 13, 2013
I went on Amazon to get a new Magic Bullet since my old one was about five years old and acting up, when I saw this. I love it but the included instructions say to not use it with things such as hard cheese or dry crackers so it you want to use ice cubes that could be a problem. I saw reviews mentioning a burnt plastic smell. I got that once when I held the button down for about ten seconds. Now I just pulse the button and it works perfectly. I'm completely satisfied with everything about it.

Hamilton Beach 51103 Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid