5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fruit Smoothie Maker
Published on July 31, 2010 by R. Thompson

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 3 months until the motor stopped working
When I first got this blender it worked okay. It's definitely a more affordable blender, so I wasn't expecting the greatest results. However, after 3 months, the motor just stopped working. I even made sure to pulse after reading these reviews, but since it took a while to blend everything, I guess the motor eventually overheated.

I would make 2-4 smoothies a...
Published 19 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fruit Smoothie Maker, July 31, 2010
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51103 Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)
This little blender is a jewel. Just the right size for a fairly large fruit smoothie. I've had it now for about a month, and have made a breakfast drink every day and its been very dependable. Some of the reviews I read prior to purchasing this one were somewhat negative. The issue was smelling the electric motor like it was overheating and not being able to blend some fruits like pineapple or apples. I haven't experienced the problems and suspect the folks were not (1)"pulsing" the drink mix as called for in the instructions and (2) not using only tender fruits like bananas and strawberries. The small motor is not designed for a hard grind nor continuous use, hence "pulse is required". And on top of being the right size, this blender was priced within my frugal budget. Yes, I'm a tight wad and demand a good product for my money, and this one fit the bill.
Ric

UPDATE:05/22/12 - Still going strong. I still make a smoothie or a breakfast drink everyday. This product is now a seven star for me!
Ric

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Mixer For The $$$$, April 5, 2010
YakPat (Beautiful NE Washington State) - See all my reviews
I've owned this single-serve blender for over a year. We use it 2 times every day (& sometimes more) with ice, fruit, protein powder, etc. We fill it to the top most times too. It blends great every time. No problems at all, ever! Wish I could say that for my Kitchen-Aid large blender. I highly recommend this small blender.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, December 15, 2012
ok let me tell you that I read a lot of reviews on personal blender. including but not limited to the bullet, Oster, back to basic( which I almost picked) now I picked this one because of the price and high review rate. I just received this and couldn't wait to get my hand on some strawberries and bananas...so once I did I put it to the test and let me tell you works great. it crushes ice and the sliced fruit just like a regular would. not issues at all. one thing that I don't like and I knew before I bought its the fact that the blades don't come off. now for someone who is back at home who has a dishwasher this shouldn't be an issue, but I'm deployed and dishwasher isn't an option. so it sucks to have to clean the cup with the blades right there around your fingers. but other than that this thing is great. for less than 15 bucks, can't complain at all...gets my smoothies just the way I like them. now I did read a lot of reviews about the burning motor/smell and I tried it out. IF YOU HOLD THE PUSLE BUTTON FOR MORE THAN 5-10 SECONDS YES IT WILL SMEEL AND POSSIBLY BURN OUT. but this is NOT a regular blender. it has a PULSE button for a reason...if you just hole the button for 1-2 seconds intervals your blender will work great and it will last. no smell no burning out...if u can't let go of that button every 1-2 seconds then don't buy this, it will burn and break. but if you use common sense and use the pulse button as it was meant to be used then you will be fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stay tuned., April 4, 2010
Purchased for use as an ice crusher/shaver, not as a smoothie maker. I don't make smoothies (I will try some). I bought this because it is inexpensive. It works nicely as a crusher if pulsed with five or six ice cubes. Run it longer between pulses to get shaved ice. There is no on/off button: if the unit is plugged in and you touch the Pulse button, it will go. Unplug the unit until you have everything ready. When you are finished, unplug it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best investment ever, April 21, 2012
Bought this in Jan 2012 as a new years resolution gift to myself to kick-start my commitment to healthier eating habits, specifically breakfast. Found this item at Target for $16 on sale and bought because of the decent reviews. I figure $16 is not a whole lot to lose - right? Well let me tell "YOOOU" (Yea, I'm saying that with attitude, but a happy one :)). This little counter gadget is the cheapest, but best in vestment I've made all year. '

I'm not a breakfast eater but I know it's an important meal. We should eat a healthy breakfast everyday as early as possible. Here's what I put in my daily breakfast smoothie - finished in seconds thanks to this blender:

1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen berries
6 oz organic apple juice (not from concentrate)
3 oz organic aloe vera juice
1 - 2 cups spinach/kale or 1 scoop Amazing Grass - Organic Green SuperFoods (this stuff has excellent ingredients)
2 tsp flaxseed meal or 1 tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil
1 tsp liquid chlorophyll

This great tasting, nutrition packed smoothie gives me much energy and gets me to 1PM with no snack attacks. Love, Love, Love!!!

Thanks Hamilton Beach for an awesome, easy to use, easy to clean blender, And best of all after my smoothie's made, I can keep my travel lid on and take my drink to go - right in the cup it's made in.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 3 months until the motor stopped working, April 8, 2013

I would make 2-4 smoothies a week with juice and frozen fruits/veggies. The blade was sharp enough to blend everything fine, although most of the time it wouldn't consistently blend everything and I would have to pause to shake the tumbler or stir everything around with a spoon. Also, if you don't have a decent amount of liquid in the tumbler, the blade will go but nothing will happen.

It was great to be able to drink straight out of the tumbler, and I'll probably buy another single serving blender--just not this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, November 1, 2010
This product is only good for doing a single drink. The motor cannot take a lot of ice so beware of that. Other than that, great little product. I use it for shakes and protein drinks. Don't fill it up all the way either as the lid will tend to leak out the top just a little. It really is good little product for on the run people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Burns out too quickly, May 12, 2011
Initially they work well, but after months of daily use, the two I have purchased start to smoke and burn out.

Too bad, as I said they work well at first. The price is right, but I feel guilty chucking them out to sit in a landfill for centuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than my Oster kichen blender, March 7, 2011
This is a great blender. I got it for smoothies at work and it works fabulously! It is extremely quite and is quieter than the pencil sharpener at my office! Great purchase, got it on sale for 14.99. Have always been a fan of Oster and prefer it most of the time, but this works better than my full size Oster. Recommend Recommed Recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Best little blender ever!, February 23, 2012
I have been using this little blender for 6 or 8 years. I left my first one at my daughter's house a few years ago and she is still using it daily. I bought a second one to take to grad school and am still using it -- at least once a day. I am buying a third one for my son's house to make smoothies/protein drinks for his kids. It's little. You can leave it on the counter or store it in the cabinet with glasses. You can pop off the container and take it with you in the car. It fits a drink holder perfectly and there's a sliding lid so no danger of spills. You can make little portions. It works fine with a couple of ice cubes or some chunks of frozen fruit or berries along with 8 ounces or so of liquid. A lot of frozen stuff is too much for its little motor.

One caveat -- because the lid simply taps into place and holds with friction, it is easy to split the sides of the lid after several months of use. You can buy replacement lids in packs of two. I would say each of my lids has lasted about 18 months to two years. AND wash it by hand. I don't think the gasket around the blades would stand up to the dishwasher. I wash mine out with a bottle brush, set it in the drainer, and grab it again later in the day.

Oh, did I say I love this little blender?

Hamilton Beach 51103 Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid