5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perhaps not for the dim-witted
There are plenty of solid reviews for this, so to put your mind at ease about the others, let me address the one-star reviews.

Says one: "Doesn't work on ANYTHING. Can't even make smoothies." Makes you wonder what use the fifty people who gave it five stars have for it. A paperweight perhaps?

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or...
Published 15 months ago by Charles M.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk or I just got a very defective item
This blender built is of poor quality in almost every aspect - the top lid is soft and it cracked after few weeks of using, the motor is very weak and it heavily smells every time I use it (smell of burning, overheating electric motor), it hardly has enough power.. On the positive side, the unit blends well, is small and compact.
Published on December 3, 2012 by Tomasz Nowakowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perhaps not for the dim-witted, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51108 Stainless Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or vegetables. If they're trying this without liquid, they either 1) are not very bright; or 2) have wildly unrealistic expectations of a $20 drink blender.

I can tell you that I have bought a lot of these (mostly in the plastic version), because I think they are fantastic and I give them as gifts. When I get a new one for myself, it's because the old one is kind of gross from a year's worth of smoothie residue stuck in the cracks.

The stainless steel looks nicer in the kitchen, but I kind of miss being able to see what's happening during blending. A tradeoff...but either way, I promise you can make a smoothie.

ADVICE/UPDATE: It's possible given the design that if you put ice/fruit at the bottom, it will get stuck there and not get drawn into the blades. Put in your liquid first, and then your ice at the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Smoothie Maker, August 9, 2012
I want to start out by saying that this little gadget works perfectly for my needs. However, I only gave it 4 stars because it doesn't do well crushing ice and green veggies but for the price how much can you expect. I always make protein with frozen fruit smoothies for breakfast. Don't count on this for your green smoothies either.

This is my personal smoothie maker and I just love it!! My recipe is: add the frozen fruit first, then protein powder, and finally fill almost to the top with cool water. I blend away, stir, blend to smoothest consistency, and head out the door in the mornings drinking out of the cup that blended in. So...if you are looking for an ice crushing blender or to make green smoothies, you will need more power. If you want an individual blender for your basic needs at home or work (especially at this price), this blender is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change is good, January 6, 2013
I find a better flavor with my smoothies in the steel cup. The plastic cups get very scratched up in a short period of time. The few extra dollars are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars it slices, it dices..., August 16, 2012
This personal blender does just what it says. It blends. I am on the HMR diet in which I blend and drink 3 or more shakes per day. These are mixed powder and ice cubes and this blender handles it all great. Add fruit, no problem. It is more quiet than my big blender I use at home for larger portions. Best of all it sits on a desk taking up no more space than the cup itself. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly RecoBLENDed, February 19, 2013
Works great for frozen fruit/yogurt/almond milk smoothies! Works best when there's enough liquid, the pulse button is used in 1 second pulses, and when stubborn users (like I am) realize this is a personal blender and not a food processor.

+ + + PROS + + +
*Great price!
*Steel cup is durable and good insulator for smoothies!
*Easy to clean!
*Fast shipping by Amazon was nice, too!

- - - CON - - -
It doesn't make the smoothie for me then wash itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice, February 13, 2013
I went on Amazon to get a new Magic Bullet since my old one was about five years old and acting up, when I saw this. I love it but the included instructions say to not use it with things such as hard cheese or dry crackers so it you want to use ice cubes that could be a problem. I saw reviews mentioning a burnt plastic smell. I got that once when I held the button down for about ten seconds. Now I just pulse the button and it works perfectly. I'm completely satisfied with everything about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product and customer service at Hamilton Beach, April 19, 2012
I had the red model and it was outstanding. So easy to make drinks but with smoothies, even better. The blender chopped up nuts, spinach, strawberries, ice, watercress and a breeze to clean. I needed extra jars and Nicole Martinez at Hamilton Beach Customer Care was outstanding. She did not waste my time, she was concise, helpful, has aptitude and very professional. This is a well run Ametican company. GO for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mini-blender, inexpensive, but top doesn't seal., December 22, 2012
I guess they wanted people to be able to drink from this without removing the top. Bad idea. When you blend your drink, the liquid leaks through he top. Other than that, it's pretty good. This doesn't seem to be 18-10 stainless steel, but it doesn't cost a lot either. I'm satisfied, but I would rather have a lid that seals and would rather pay a little more to get a better quality stainless steel to drink from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product., May 3, 2013
Very well designed, easy to clean, mix everything well. Just bad ass lil blender for smoothies or for mixing whey protein.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk or I just got a very defective item, December 3, 2012