5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perhaps not for the dim-witted
There are plenty of solid reviews for this, so to put your mind at ease about the others, let me address the one-star reviews.

Says one: "Doesn't work on ANYTHING. Can't even make smoothies." Makes you wonder what use the fifty people who gave it five stars have for it. A paperweight perhaps?

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or...
Published 14 months ago by Charles M.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, Love it!!
I gave it a 1 star just to get attention, as most people only read the negative reviews, when in fact I give it 5 stars!! Don't be discouraged when reading the negative reviews here because they probably didn't use it properly, i.e. too much ice and not enough liquid. It will not handle large chunks of ice, but neither did the Nutribullets at 150.00. Crushed ice is...
Published 8 months ago by L. DONOVAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, perhaps not for the dim-witted, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 51108 Stainless Single Serve Blender with Travel Lid (Kitchen)

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or vegetables. If they're trying this without liquid, they either 1) are not very bright; or 2) have wildly unrealistic expectations of a $20 drink blender.

I can tell you that I have bought a lot of these (mostly in the plastic version), because I think they are fantastic and I give them as gifts. When I get a new one for myself, it's because the old one is kind of gross from a year's worth of smoothie residue stuck in the cracks.

The stainless steel looks nicer in the kitchen, but I kind of miss being able to see what's happening during blending. A tradeoff...but either way, I promise you can make a smoothie.

ADVICE/UPDATE: It's possible given the design that if you put ice/fruit at the bottom, it will get stuck there and not get drawn into the blades. Put in your liquid first, and then your ice at the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Smoothie Maker, August 9, 2012
I want to start out by saying that this little gadget works perfectly for my needs. However, I only gave it 4 stars because it doesn't do well crushing ice and green veggies but for the price how much can you expect. I always make protein with frozen fruit smoothies for breakfast. Don't count on this for your green smoothies either.

This is my personal smoothie maker and I just love it!! My recipe is: add the frozen fruit first, then protein powder, and finally fill almost to the top with cool water. I blend away, stir, blend to smoothest consistency, and head out the door in the mornings drinking out of the cup that blended in. So...if you are looking for an ice crushing blender or to make green smoothies, you will need more power. If you want an individual blender for your basic needs at home or work (especially at this price), this blender is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change is good, January 6, 2013
I find a better flavor with my smoothies in the steel cup. The plastic cups get very scratched up in a short period of time. The few extra dollars are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars it slices, it dices..., August 16, 2012
This personal blender does just what it says. It blends. I am on the HMR diet in which I blend and drink 3 or more shakes per day. These are mixed powder and ice cubes and this blender handles it all great. Add fruit, no problem. It is more quiet than my big blender I use at home for larger portions. Best of all it sits on a desk taking up no more space than the cup itself. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly RecoBLENDed, February 19, 2013
Works great for frozen fruit/yogurt/almond milk smoothies! Works best when there's enough liquid, the pulse button is used in 1 second pulses, and when stubborn users (like I am) realize this is a personal blender and not a food processor.

+ + + PROS + + +
*Great price!
*Steel cup is durable and good insulator for smoothies!
*Easy to clean!
*Fast shipping by Amazon was nice, too!

- - - CON - - -
It doesn't make the smoothie for me then wash itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice, February 13, 2013
I went on Amazon to get a new Magic Bullet since my old one was about five years old and acting up, when I saw this. I love it but the included instructions say to not use it with things such as hard cheese or dry crackers so it you want to use ice cubes that could be a problem. I saw reviews mentioning a burnt plastic smell. I got that once when I held the button down for about ten seconds. Now I just pulse the button and it works perfectly. I'm completely satisfied with everything about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product and customer service at Hamilton Beach, April 19, 2012
I had the red model and it was outstanding. So easy to make drinks but with smoothies, even better. The blender chopped up nuts, spinach, strawberries, ice, watercress and a breeze to clean. I needed extra jars and Nicole Martinez at Hamilton Beach Customer Care was outstanding. She did not waste my time, she was concise, helpful, has aptitude and very professional. This is a well run Ametican company. GO for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mini-blender, inexpensive, but top doesn't seal., December 22, 2012
I guess they wanted people to be able to drink from this without removing the top. Bad idea. When you blend your drink, the liquid leaks through he top. Other than that, it's pretty good. This doesn't seem to be 18-10 stainless steel, but it doesn't cost a lot either. I'm satisfied, but I would rather have a lid that seals and would rather pay a little more to get a better quality stainless steel to drink from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product., May 3, 2013
Very well designed, easy to clean, mix everything well. Just bad ass lil blender for smoothies or for mixing whey protein.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Matcha tea blends, protein shakes and other powdery blends, April 29, 2013
I love this blender. I learned in the beginning that if you hold the pulse down longer than necessary, you will smell a faint odor from the motor. I realized that I only need to give it 4 very quick pulses to get a perfectly blended drink.I've been using it lately to make a ginger, honey and lemon drink. I use the powdered ginger and it blends everything wonderfully. I use it also to make Matcha tea (the powdered version of the tea) mixed with soy milk and honey. It creates a nice frothy concoction. What I like about the stainless steel cup is that it keeps everything cold while blending. I have yet to use frozen fruit in it because I've got a normal sized blender for drinks like that. I've been using this for a couple of months now and I'm very pleased with it.