1,537 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars This one's a keeper
I bought this blender primarily for protein and fruit smoothies, crushing ice, and grinding coffee.

Published 22 months ago by Dr. Geoff

3.0 out of 5 stars Average.
I bought this blender 2 weeks ago on sale for $19. I do believe it's worth that much. However, I probably wouldn't have spent any more than that on this particular model. I bought it to replace my Oster that recently burned out while I save for a Ninja or NutriBullet.

Published 22 months ago by ajax77

4.0 out of 5 stars This one's a keeper, January 18, 2013

Out of box experience was good, well packaged, simple. Tested it by using the Easyclean feature, and it worked like a champ. While it is noisy, it is quieter than I expected. Just don't expect to be listening to something on TV in another room if you are blending in the kitchen.

The Pros:
My first smoothie was done in seconds, no fuss, no muss. A cup of ice, two big scoops of protein powder, fresh strawberries not cut up, and 12 ounces water.

I put in the ice and strawberries first, and pulsed about 3 times on ice to get a very nice puree of ice slush and strawberry, only a few seconds each. It's got power to spare. Added the powder and water, hit smoothie, and about 15 seconds later I had very happy happy milk-shaky-like goodness to enjoy.

Cleanup and storage could not have been easier.

So it's a keeper.

The cons:
I can see how with so much plastic used, SOMETHING will give out over time and use. HB does not warrant glass breakage, but they say NOTHING about plastics, so if a lid or vent or base go, the 3 year warranty will be worth keeping track of.

Summary and impressions:
It suits my needs, it meets or exceeds expectations, and it was cheap. So cheap that if it dies after warranty, I won't blink and won't miss it.

So after browsing through HUNDREDS of reviews, personal blenders, and Ninja's and such, and nearly going for a Cuisinart personal blender, I figure this one takes up roughly the same amount of space, 700 watts beats 300 any old day, and certainly 185, and why mess around when I don't want to have to worry, I want to blend.

Very Worth While. If it had more sturdy and durable looking plastics, or they were some other non-bound-to-fail material, it would get 5 stars. For under $25.00 you can't beat it with a stick.

I hope this helps if you're reading this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, serviceable blender for very little money, January 29, 2013
My older Hamilton Beach blender was dying. I did not like a previous Kitchen Aid blender I owned. The bottom of the line Oster I tried made a viciously ear piercing racket. In my dreams I own a Vitamix. Well..in the meantime I need something NOW. I looked at all the reviews of various strata and then said "just try this one" ..if it sucks well then it's a backup. Because if you are a morning smoothie addict like me you need a backup.

So it shows up. The base is taller than my old Hamilton Beach but the motor is more powerful (700 watts). I like that the buttons face forward and require a bit more of a positive force to engage. I think this is a good thing. You are less likely to accidentally hit them and spray chocolate soymilk or whatever your beverage thing is all over the kitchen by mistake.

This blender has "oomph" as they say. It fearlessly grinds large frozen blueberries to make a puffy aireated (bubbly) chocolate blueberry banana smoothy which is how I get through swallowing all my various vitamins including the "horse pills".

It has a real, high quality glass top. Some of the blenders in this price range don't - they instead use that crappy plastic that discolors and cracks.

They are honest about the buttons. No fancy schmancy: You get LOW, HIGH. PULSE LOW & PULSE HIGH. 4 buttons. I've never needed anything else. The springs on the pulse buttons and the size of the buttons provide a substantial tactile feedback. All those extra buttons - it's just frippery, added cost and more to go wrong. I want either to get started (low) or go all out (high). Why kid myself?

The motor base of the blender is mostly plastic but at this price who's complaining? The styling of the blender is not bad. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not but it's not hard to look at either.

It doesn't "walk" or jump about the counter - it stays put.

I have yet to make Hummous (or hummus) in this blender. Will report back if I have problems with that.

Complaints: I tried making Orange Juice and it got a bit messy. I strongly recommend just using 1 can of water and using Low. Then add the remaining 2 cans into your juice pitcher later. When you pour the blended OJ into the juice pitcher do it over a sink. This may have been user error. : ) I've only had this blender for 2 weeks now.

The blender will not accept my older Hamilton Beach glass blender top from the mid 1990's.

One design decision about the glass blender top on this unit that you may or may not like is ..the inner bottom area (near the blade) has a wider area around the blade..so it needs a bit more liquid (not a ton more) than I was used to with the old blender. Also, I don't know how this wider area around the blade will figure into making hummous. Again I will report back on that later. I have to wait until the hummous making mood strikes.

I do not make vegetable smoothies except for my cucumber tzatziki yogurt sauce on rare occasion. So I can't tell you whether this will blenderize celery or Kale.

All in all, for my specific purpose (soy & fruit smoothies) I am quite satisfied with this blender and feel I paid a fair price for it ($25.71) You could buy 12 of these for the price of a Vitamix and you can be using it NOW! You can always keep it as a backup or make it the vacation place blender.

UPDATE #2 3-30-2013: Still going strong. No hassles. I * did * make hummus (or hummous) recently and found that I had to make a double batch to get it started and get it all blended right - but that's not a big deal in my book. For smoothies the requirements for a good blend are much less demanding. I see some reviews complaining about the motor overheating, or a burning smell. I haven't experienced that. Maybe mine was made on a Wednesday? I just know it works great and continues to do so. Over and out! : )

P.P.S. If you look very carefully at the bottom of the glass blender top right where it tapers to meet the base, you'll see a sort of line in the glass that might "LOOK" like a scratch or break. It's not. It's some kind of little ridge left over from the forming or casting of the glass. I figured this out after much visual inspection as I was initially concerned about it.

Update: August 17th, 2013 Still going strong...

Update #3: Jan 29th, 2014 ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...

3.0 out of 5 stars Average., January 8, 2013

If all you are looking for is a means to blend a basic smoothie or a bisque (which is what I was looking for), this blender will get the job done. By 'basic smoothie' I mean: liquid with some frozen/fresh fruit, protein powder, etc. Raw/hard veggies will not blend well. I was a little disappointed that I could not get Kale to blend into my smoothies to a pleasant consistency. Be sure to put the stuff in and let it run for a bit. Don't be too quick to decide that you need to get in there and move stuff around with a spoon. Be patient.

A few people mentioned that its loud. It's actually quieter than my now dead Oster. It is no louder than any other blender I've used or seen used, even a Ninja.

All in all, for $19 I couldn't go wrong. But in my opinion, the wattage and the heavy glass jar are wasted on very cheap plastic parts and a blade that leaves much to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for the price, December 12, 2012
I bought this blender because I wanted to start making smoothies and protien drinks. My smoothies came out thick and nice with no leakage from the blender. The blade is very sharp on this blender for it crushes ice in seconds. The blender is 700 watt, with 12 blending fuctions, which I have not try all yet. The blender is not fanciest but it does have some sleekness to it, but it get's the job done. I am happy about the glass container because some blenders with plastic containers contain BPA. It also comes with convenient cord storage underneath the blender. The blender is extremely loud, not to be used early in the morning if you live with other people, but not loud enough to wake up the neighbors.

4.0 out of 5 stars just made a green smoothie, January 1, 2014
Yes, you can make a green smoothie with this. Put water in first. Then Kale, spinach, collards, 1 green apple bite sized chunks , 1 orange, 1 banana, oat meal, whole baby carrots and apple cider vinegar. People act like this thing won't blend but it will. If you put water in first and actually let it blend for 1 minute, that's it! Done! This is why you need to decide things for yourself. I'm glad I didn't buy a $500 blender. What is wrong with people? That is rent money and I just want to blend leaves and soft ass fruit.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good, or better, than so-called "professional" blenders, February 13, 2013
I'm a meticulous sort. I check reviews, make comparisons, and try out as many items as I can before purchasing. I was in need of a blender, but did not want to spend a lot of money. I looked on eBay and in various stores, and eventually settled on this Hamilton Beach because of its 700 watts power, glass jar AND low price. It arrived, and I immediately put it to the test, and lo and behold, it is as good as Ninja! I put whole pieces of carrot, pepper, tomato and radishes, with a tiny bit of water (1/4 c) just to test its power, and it made a "smoothie" of sorts (it tasted terrible - I forgot the salt - but it was smooth!). That convinced me. If it can crush carrots, it can do anything! I'm a believer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded My Expectations, November 25, 2012
I am so thrilled with this blender. I was looking at the more expensive models but thought for the price I would take a chance. I am beyond happy that I did. I love the fact that it has a glass container. The blades are designed to mill small items as well as agitate everything inside. I used it to crush hard peppermint candy and it whipped them into a fine powder in a matter of seconds. Yes you can buy one with more watts but how much is enough. For me this serves the needs I have very well while leaving me a chunk of change left for more toys!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, March 11, 2013
I think this is an excellent blender for the price! I got mine for under $25 shipped (prime shipping). I use it to make smoothies and it handles my frozen fruit (and frozen spinach) quite well. The wave action works well. I usually pour some almond milk in it, then add my frozen items and let it sit for a few minutes to soften before blending.

I like that the base of the blender jar is wide. It (and the other parts) are very easy to clean. I don't use the top pour spout so I don't have extra crevices to clean. I just take the top off and pour right out of the blender.

Very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars This blender gets ten stars!, May 5, 2013
I really shopped around for a powerful blender that can crush ice with ease and this baby is the ticket! It has a powerful 700-watt motor and kicks the tar out of ice. This is no wimpy blender. Steer clear of the allegedly powerful 450-watt models you may encounter at a similar price. I also like Hamilton Beach products in general. I have a Brew 'N Go coffee maker and a 6-quart slow cooker that I just love. If you go with this blender, I swear you won't be disappointed. Oh yeah, it also has an easy-pour spout that will spoil you for life. Buy this blender!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended with reservations, February 16, 2013
Although probably not the last blender you will ever buy, this machine is worth the money.

LID: The lid fits tightly. I never fear that it will pop off. The designers showed off their ingenuity with the pour spout. It's nearly impossible to make a mess on the counter while pouring. The lid has a safety flap that pops up if hot liquids build pressure in the container; unfortunately it is made of very thin plastic, and mine won't even snap shut anymore.

PITCHER: The heavy glass pitcher is the best feature of this blender. It feels like it could last a lifetime. Some blenders come with pitchers that don't like to attach to the base without a fight. This pitcher goes on smoothly with minimal effort.

POWER: As long as you supply this blender with plenty of liquid, it will deliver. It's fun to watch blended ingredients cyclone through the pitcher while the machine is running. Here's the bad news: Twice I tried to make thick smoothies, but I had to thin them down because I could smell the motor getting hot.

Hamilton Beach 58148A Power Elite Multi-Function Blender