5.0 out of 5 stars HB Stand/Hand Mixer
Published on August 10, 2012 by debz

1.0 out of 5 stars Save up for a better mixer
Published on January 2, 2009 by D

5.0 out of 5 stars HB Stand/Hand Mixer, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 64650 6-Speed Classic Stand Mixer, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I love this mixer. A lot of the reviews I read made me feel a bit hesitant to purchase this, but so glad I did. I had a cheap had mixer for years that was difficult to use always wanted the luxury of a stand mixer that could also double as a hand mixer. This fits this bill perfectly. I'm not a fancy baker, I like making box cakes or mixing simple recipe items, it works great. If you are someone who loves making bread, not sure that this would be heavy duty enough for you. I never tried it although it comes with the attachments to make it, possibly a small batch would work. It looks great on my counter with all my other stainless steel and I didn't have to spend all that money on a big fancy model that I really didn't need. This was an excellent value for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save up for a better mixer, January 2, 2009
D "know-it-all" (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I received this as a gift and had my suspicions from the beginning. It mixes adequately with the regular paddles. The dough hooks do not work well. Even when following the mixer's directions to a T, I couldn't get cookie dough or bread dough to mix evenly. Two dough hooks doesn't make sense to me in the first place. I haven't used the whisk, but I'm sure it's fine. It's hard to mess that up. I do like that the top is removable. However, it isn't needed since you can pretty much use any bowl with the stand. There is no locking mechanism. This also causes spinning if you don't hold the bowl still. I also think that the speed starts out too fast. I like a slower speed when adding dry ingredients, so they don't poof everywhere. I'm sure you would get the same effect, except a slosh, when making whipped cream. My advice is to either buy a cheap hand mixer, which is exactly what this is, or buy a real mixer.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Is Worth Your Money, December 17, 2008
I bought this mixer more than three months ago and hoped I would find something a few levels above what's typical at outlet stores, something of a high quality. Its not perfect but definitely the quality you'd want in a mixer. I've made four cakes and two pies to date with this mixer and can tell you there is nothing "flimsy" about it. Getting down to the business of it: the bowl you receive is designed to fit perfectly on the movable stand but does not give your beaters the best access to the bottom sides of the bowl due to an odd ridge in the bowl itself. Simple fix: use a spatula. Problem solved, seriously. The six speeds feel more like 3 with the "high" "medium" and "low" each having a step-up before its speed. You really don't even need six speeds but its nice to have that control. Because the stand rotates the bowl can turn by itself. Its hard to say why it does this but you won't find it as a huge issue. I've heard someone else complain about gaps in the grate of the mixer or it being hard to go from the stand to your hand or this, that, and the other. I'm no food gadget geek, just a guy who needs to bake a cake once or twice every couple of months, and I used this thing with little difficulty (just takes a little getting used to).

Bottom line: you want a mixer that can do it all? Have $300 ready. Want a mixer that looks nice in the kitchen, looks professional, has a nice amount of power, won't give you an issue while making a cake, and simply gets the job done? Then this mixer shouldn't do too badly. There's a slight learning curve but I'm never deterred from making my favorite recipes with this mixer. There's nothing wrong with it, it won't fall apart as you take it out of the box, no right-off-the-bat noticeable flaws, nothing that'll make you feel like you just wasted your money. I've really come to enjoy it and would only consider buying a heavy duty one as my next mixer.

Buyer's note: there appears to be the exact same mixer on the "hamilton beach mixer" page for only [...] bucks. $[...] is fair but you'd practically HAVE to buy it at $[...] (if that's not some sort of typo).

5.0 out of 5 stars Mix with no hands, November 24, 2013
I have used all the attachments that came with the mixer. they work great, I love the steel bowl as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars mixer, October 21, 2010
great mixer has done everthing that we used it for and the price was great

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Kitchenaid but does the job, July 15, 2012
Product isn't exactly what I expected but it gets the job done. For the price it's workable. Wisk doesn't move as I thought it would. It drilled a hole right in the middle of what I was mixing. Detaching the wisk and tilting the bowl did the trick.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, September 5, 2010
This is a reletively "OK" mixer, it mixes medium to large quanties very well however, small quanties won't be mixed as well as you would hope. I tried to beat some egg whites and even when the top was nice and firm the egg was still clear and runny on the bottom. Not a very good mixer

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, September 30, 2012
Autumn (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I bought this mixer out of desparation, my old sunbeam, which worked like a dream and I loved had finally died, I have a wedding cake due in 6 days and needed to get started on my last 5 batches of icing to be made. I scoured 3 flea markets, and a pawnshop and came up empty handed, I went to kmart and it was between this and one other model. I have so many complaints I don't even know where to start!

The first and most obvious problem I ran into was that even the lowest speed was way too fast and that there isn't a whole lot of change from speed to speed.... Secondly and most importantly the beaters don't get close enough to the bottom of the bowl, So instead of mixing it basically beat the shortening while leaving a puddle of extract and water at the bottom and Since the beaters don't reach the bottom, it's rare it even spins the bowl on the turntable but insteads kind of hovers back and forth until you give it an encouraging push...Which leads into another problem, the adjustable turntable doesn't lock in any position, so as you give it a little push your turn table also pushes backwards or forwards, this is also a problem when trying to scrape down the sides of the bowl...

Speaking of scraping down the sides of the bowl, you'll be doing it ALOT, my clumpy poorly mixed icing just climbed up the sides, I'd have to stop adding sugar, push down the sides, while simutaneously kind of hand mixing with my rubber spatula just to help get some of the lumps out. While I know food climbs to a point in most mixers, this was beyond ridiculous I had to stop easily 5 times. In my old mixer I could slowly add all the sugar, and when I was done, scrape the sides and then let it do it's thing for 3 minutes while it mixed and fluffed up some beautiful icing and then I'd scrape the sides once more just to be sure. Anyway, after I FINALLY got all of the sugar in I thought I'd let it do it's thing, the mostly hard part was over so should be able to atleast fluff up the icing...nope, still just climbed the sides, annoyed I finally caved and just used it as a hand mixer, It worked great as a handmixer, but it was way too bulky and heavy, and if I wanted a hand mixer I could have bought one for a lot cheaper then this...and adding insult to injury amazon had this mixer for almost 20 dollars cheaper then kmart.

I'm going to suffer with it to get this cake done because I don't have time to order anything and I really don't have the time to play mixer roullette. so unless my mother wants this god awful piece plastic it's going back to the store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but doesn't last, December 25, 2008
I got this mixer one year ago and it was nice while it lasted. The adjustable bottom was useful to mix the batch evenly. I've made a few batches of cookies, brownies and bread, however, it broke in about 9 months. I probably used this less than 10 times. i haven't dropped it and it was working when i had last put it away so it seems the motor just died for no reason. There is no warranty so buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this!, December 15, 2008
This mixer is flimsy and doesn't work well. When used as a stand mixer it pushes everything to the side and no matter how much you move the bowl around on the "adjustable" base the mixers can't catch it. And that's just on speed 1! Higher speeds didn't make a difference. The mixer is also hard to take off of the base when using it as a hand mixer. I was lucky enough to only pay $25 on Black Friday at Target. I would have hated to pay the full price for this. Very disappointed.

Rate and Discover Movies