I looked at Breville compact, Breville JE98L fountain plus, Omega J8004, multiple Hamilton beach big mouth juicers, Black & Decker JE2220B Jack Lalanne and a bunch more juicers and read a ton of reviews before I decided on Hamilton big mouth 67601A.

Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't fit my needs
I received this on Oct. 16, and the motor went kaput today, Oct. 30, with no signs of distress at all. It just stopped. Until that moment, though, it tore through fruits and vegetables like a very efficient and energetic little Trojan, and I was entirely happy with it.

Published 26 days ago by Norma McL

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good juicer, fast prep plus cleanup combination, remains are a little moist but can't squeeze more out of them by hand, November 29, 2013
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Black (Kitchen)

I haven't thought I needed a juicer before because I mix my freeze dried powdered juice (Green Vibrance, which has a ton of ingredients, more than I can buy for a reasonable price for one person for a week) with store bought organic carrot juice (Bolthouse farms). But after I moved, I found that the closest store did not carry organic carrot juice, only non-organic carrot juice for about $4 for 15.2 oz (also from Bolthouse farms), which was pretty expensive.

I decided to see if I could make my own juice and started reading about juicers. I got really excited about juicing after reading reviews and thought maybe I should upgrade to an omega masticating juicer to get the 15 year warranty and the full nutritional value from juicing greens. I came back to reality after realizing that I get way more ingredients than I can find in a normal store close to me from Green Vibrance (dandelion root, wheat grass, chlorella, spirulina, kelp, alfalfa sprouts, etc.), and I have a Bullet to make fruit smoothies and own a citrus juicer already.

Breville Fountain plus was too big and ratings were similar to the Breville Compact in terms of # of stars. Breville Compact's negative ratings had many mentions of the wire mesh breaking (and not being covered by warranty, and costing $45). Since the Hamilton Big Mouth costs about $45, it seemed silly to just buy one filter for $45. I wasn't sure how often I'd use the masticating juicer since my friend has one and rarely uses it due to the prep work required (chopping and slimming vegetables to get them into the small 1.5" wide chute - same issue with Black & Decker). Also, I figured even though the Hamilton only had a 1 year warranty vs. the 15 year warranty, if it lasted me 3 years, I could buy 5 Hamiltons (at $45) for the $228 cost of an Omega J8004. I could even buy myself a $5 square trade warranty to make sure it lasted me 2 years (which is why I didn't go for the more expensive Hamilton Pro 67650A at $56.51)

Amazon had a pre-black Friday sale for the Hamilton 67601A for about $35 ($10 off the normal $45) price, so I decided that it was worth a try and bought a Hamilton.

First of all, the black color on the Hamilton is black all over the inside, and this works great at hiding the carrot juice stains everyone complains about for their non-black juicers. I've had the juicer for 3 days and have used it every day. I noticed I am going through vegetables much quicker than if I cook with them (I might normally put one celery stalk in a stir fry but 2 stalks in juice, and go through a little bit of spinach with a meal, but the same amount in the juice). Also, I used to mix the store bought carrot juice sparingly since it was pricy with my Green Vibrance, but now, I'm going through pounds of carrots (normally, one pound of carrots would last me at lease 2 weeks when I cook with carrots but I've already gone through more than a pound in 3 days of juicing for one person, once a day).

I don't notice the juice being warm or frothy, I never peel, just wash my vegetables (they're organic) so the preparation, setup, juicing and cleanup time is about 15 minutes for about 15.2 oz of juice. I do put a plastic bag from the vegetable aisle of grocery store in the container bin so clean up is faster.

I did notice the juice was a little pulpier than the smooth store bought one, but I'm ok with that. The left overs in the bin tend to be only slightly moist, but the remains that fly to the top sides of the juicer tend to be more moist. I have tried to squeeze the remains in my fingertips to squeeze more juice out, and while my fingers do get damp, no droplets emerge. I've also tried to take the remains and dump them back in the juicer. I got about a teaspoon for about 2 or 3 carrots, so not sure if it's worth the extra work. I've also tried dumping the remains of 4 carrots on the strainer and hand pressing it - no drops came out.

There is no cup that comes with the juicer, but I have found that my 15.2 oz. plastic bottle from Bolthouse Farms (cleaned and ready to recycle) fits under there well at a slight tilt (I put a bowl under it so it doesn't slip). The narrow mouth of the bottle fits right over the nub where the juice comes out, and thus, prevents splatters of the juice, which is also nice. Also, I can easily store the juice after I juice it by screwing on the lid.

The juicer juiced my carrots well, as well as ginger, spinach, celery and apple (organic apple fit well without having to be chopped. I did wonder if I should core it to get rid of seeds as other people mentioned there might be trace amounts of arsenic....). I think the amount of juicing works fine. 3 stalks of celery, 6 carrots, a 3 or so handfuls of spinach and 1 thumb sized bit of ginger mostly filled my 15.2 oz. bottle. As the bottle states it has about 11.5 carrots in it, I think I am getting a decent amount of juice out of my juicer. Other reviewers mentioned that pushing the veggies through produces less juice, so I don't use pressure on the veggies except to rest the pushing mechanism on the veggies (after the carrot and celery are short enough) and let the gravity of the veggies and pushing mechanism do the work (or unless something gets stuck - then a little nudge pushes the veggies through).

The juicer does have a vent hole at the top where carrot pieces sometimes come flying out, but I put a piece of tape over it as mentioned by another reviewer and that fix has worked well. I haven't noticed the bouncing on the countertop everyone else has mentioned, but I have a textured laminate top so maybe that makes a difference. The only time the product jumped was when I had a round piece of ginger in there and the ginger bounced around inside - the machine bounced with the ginger. Machine stopped bouncing when I put the pushing mechanism inside and it rested on the ginger, stopping it from bouncing.

I use the leftovers for soup or for Portuguese rice. I love pureed soup (you boil the vegetables until they're soft, stick in an immersion blender and puree everything), so I've started to add the leftover veggies into the soup (pureeing is done before I start!). After I finished juicing, I felt too lazy to shop garlic so I stuck that in the juicer so I could put the juice and grinds into the soup. That worked so I stuck in a whole onion to do the same (lazy me). I found out that wasn't as good an idea - the process worked fine and it saved me some time chopping and later pureeing. However, it made me tear up something fierce as the fumes from the onions wafted up. I tear up when I chop onions too, but this was instant - onion in, tears came out! I added the garlic and onion juice and remains from all the veggies into the hot boiling water with herbs and chicken bones and made soup. Yum. I've also thought that carrot remains look perfectly sized for carrot cake and for carrot pie (instead of pumpkin pie). It's orange, sweet - who would notice the substitution?

Portuguese rice also calls for carrots ground really fine. Instead of shredding it (which takes time), I just throw in the left over carrot from the juicing process with garlic, olive oil, onions chopped, some salt and pepper and stir until the smells drive you wild (or until slightly browned). Then, I add water and rice and boil until done. The rice is dyed yellow by the carrots and comes out soft and fluffy. I've had multiple rave reviews from many people but I rarely make it due to the time required. Now, I can make it more frequently.

Overall a good juicer, fast prep plus cleanup combination, remains are a little moist but can't squeeze more out of them by hand, juice isn't frothy or warm, good for my purposes and a great price. I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have one., March 19, 2014
OMG. I just received my juicer today and from reading all the reviews i was expecting to have to wear earplugs to use the thing as well as doing some serious cleaning post juicing. Well it isn't silent but its not amy louder than my Vitamix really. As far as clean up I had a soapy bowl of warm water in my sink to toss all parts in and I didn't even need to do that. A scrub under running water post juicing left parts as clean as new!! I don't know what I was expecting. It is awesome. While i was waiting for it I watched Fat Sick and nearly dead on Netflix and now I think I may go on a juice fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it! It rocks!, July 26, 2014
This juicer rocks... plenty of horsepower, a large slot. I bought this juicer with low expectations because of its price point. Not only is it extra powerful and does a great job at making my juice drinks every morning, but man is it easy to clean up to! Don't hesitate. I'd recommend this juicer highly to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars I almost went off the deep end and was about to order whatever the uber expensive Breville is ($350), July 18, 2014
I bought this juicer a few weeks ago and think it's well worth the money. I almost went off the deep end and was about to order whatever the uber expensive Breville is ($350). I decided to downscale and see if I would actually use a juice before getting such a pricey one. I decided on this one after it get pretty high ratings in Consumer Reports for juicers in this price range. I think the clean up is pretty easy but you definitely need the little brush that comes with it to clean off the filter and you need to rinse all the pieces before putting in the dishwasher otherwise it will just cake it on. I have had some issues with leafy greens getting pushed through too fast, I now send them in with something like an apple and they seem to get chopped up much better. The other issue is for smaller fleshy fruits (grapes, oranges) they like to shoot back out at you and you have to be very quick to put the pusher in otherwise you could get sprayed. Although it doesnt recommend doing this, I put the grapes in while it's off and then turn it on after I have the pusher in place. I would buy this again if I had to, in fact, I wonder for a price difference of $300...how much more can the Breville do? This thing has only on and off, no variation in speeds but this is totally fine. The other big annoyance is this thing is so loud..like invest in earplugs loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, March 20, 2014
I am new to juicing after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I bought this because it was what I could afford and I am NOT disappointed at all! I've been juicing for a week now and feel like a pro already. This machine juices everything just fine. Even kale. I think people that are complaining about the kale need to remember to follow the kale with something juicy to get more juice out of the strainer. I have not run across anything I have juiced so far that did not work. Clean up is easy. Seriously takes about a minute. I don't know what people are complaining about. Also, the noise complaints? Give me a break. My dishwasher, vaccuum and lawn mower are loud too, but I still use them. If you are new to juicing, give this machine a try. Sure, I might purchase a more expensive machine in the future, but this is perfect for what I'm doing right now. Love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't fit my needs, October 30, 2014
Norma McL (Virginia, United States) - See all my reviews

I want to be fair about this. If you use a juicer to make healthy drinks for yourself and your family, I imagine this would be ideal--and the price is definitely right. But I have an orchard and need something to juice a bushel of apples in an afternoon, and this juicer obviously can't hold up to that level of use. I definitely paused in juicing the apples; it was necessary to clean out the pulp cylinder and the other washable parts after every couple or three pounds of apples. But I was simply asking too much of the machine. I see now that I should never have expected something in this price range to hold up to the workload I need one to perform. That's not a criticism of the product, it's a criticism of my lack of foresight.

There's a reason there are so many juicers at such a wide range of prices. People have different needs and should choose accordingly. I see no reason at all to spend a great deal of money for light-duty needs, and I suspect this would be a splendid juicer for many people. Just not me.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's like they cannot handle the veggies, September 10, 2014
Not impressed. The first one I bought started to burn (smoke came out) so I got a replacement. This second one shakes uncontrollably! It's like they cannot handle the veggies. I'm only doing carrot, cucumber, celery, green apple and lemon drinks, nothing out of this world. The Jack Lalanne my father has had for over the years works better than this Hamilton Beach. This machine also makes a TON of noise! I don't really like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay juicer., July 13, 2014
It is an okay juicer. I have had it for over a year and I like it. However, I do feel that I am wasting a lot of my produce and find that the pulp is wet a lot of the time. I can place the pulp back into the extractor and still get a lot of juice out. This is a good juicer for those who are starting out but I am in need of a higher quality juicer. You get what you pay for.

2.0 out of 5 stars but it is not good for greens and carrots, August 9, 2014
This juicer is disappointing overall despite the high ratings it receives. It juices apples, beets, and cucumbers well, but it is not good for greens and carrots. It does not get much juice from greens, and the carrot pulp fills the strainer basket so quickly that you end up losing a lot of juice in the pulp. I could work with the lack of easy cleaning if it were getting enough juice from the vegetables. In the long run, I think it's probably a better financial decision to get a higher quality juicer that wastes less juice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive starter juicer, October 1, 2014
Works as well as can be expected. I started juicing (have since stopped) but it cleared apples, celery, beets, carrots, and pretty much anything else I threw at it. Cleaning was a bit of a chore because of all the parts need to be rinsed pretty much immediately otherwise things will stick. The part that catches the peels and pulp can be easily cleaned by putting a plastic grocery bag in it. This is also noisy! But it got the job done.

Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Black