1,339 Reviews

1,040 of 1,052 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money
Published on December 3, 2011 by Luna Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Juicing the fruit froth in the mountains
I have had this juicer now for 6 months, and overall, I am happy with my purchase. I am a beginner juicer, so please excuse any incorrect "lingo" I may use. There are 3 things I will cover-the foam residue, the cleaning, and the amounts of fruits juicer use.

Most of the fruits leave a lot of foamy residue on top of the glass.
I tend to use apples,...
Published on December 13, 2011 by NORCAL Downtownie

1,040 of 1,052 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, December 3, 2011
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, April 11, 2012
C Parker (Puyallup, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this juicer after reading the book "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in which they recommend very nice juicers ranging from $300-$400+. After checking Consumer Reports in which this Hamilton Beach juicer is one of their recommended buys, it seemed to be a no-brainer. This thing rocks! Leftover pulp is dry dry dry, I can't imagine any other juicer doing a better job of extracting all the juice. And it doesn't matter what it is - apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, leafy greens like spinach and kale, it makes juice of them all with ease. And clean up is a snap (and I HATE appliances that are not easy to clean, and usually end up not using them just so I don't have to clean them). This juicer comes with a handy little brush that gets in all the little spaces and cleans the filter with little to no effort. Very few pieces - just rinse the 4 pieces with hot water and brush clean the filter and that's it! Easy peasy.
The one reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars...
No container included to catch your juice, you must use your own receptacle which is a pain if you're making any more than one large coffee cups worth. You have to do multiple cups of multiple veggies and fruits and mix them all together in the end.
Couple cleaning tips: Spray the pulp container lightly with pam or non-stick spray lightly before using and the stuff will slide right out. And, after all juicing is done, put a small amount of hot water through the juicer - this makes the filter much easier to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great juicer, July 24, 2010
So I bought this juicer from walmart back in June 2007 for only $45. I used it daily since. Love this juicer. I got it for my own health, but ended up getting my kid hooked as well :)
Well, today it stopped working. The motor broke, and the rubber started smoking right in the middle of carrot/lettuce/beet juice :(
I was disappointed to see the price go up so much, because I really wanted the same one. But 3 years of daily use, I'd say thats pretty good for an inexpensive juicer.
Would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good juicer, September 9, 2011
It's been used around our farm kitchen for about 2 years now for juicing various things from the garden. As I write this, I am on day 51 of a 60-day juice fest (not fast!) and I'm lovin' this juicer. I use it at least once daily. My main recipe is a bunch of kale (sometimes other greens like cabbage, romaine, spinach, etc.) bunch of parsley, 2-3 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 large cucumber, 2 apples, 1/2 lemon and a little piece of ginger. This basic recipe gives me 32oz juice. It is a little foamy, but I stir it good and that helps incorporate most of the foam. I keep my 16 oz glass in the freezer and that helps as I like my juice cold. What I don't drink for "breakfast" goes in the fridge for "dinner." Lunch is usually a fruit-only smoothie - 1 banana, 1/2 cup peaches, 1/2 cup berries - that I do in the blender.
I'll mix up the above juice recipe by juicing beets, pears, oranges, bell peppers, eggplant, Brussel sprouts, tomatoes or broccoli - whatever is fresh & handy - for variety. Never had a problem with any fruits or veggies. I've even juiced raw coconut meat (juice this first or alone, then scrape the "butter" off the extractor for some beneficial use, like on your skin or hair!)
It does leave a little moist pulp, sometimes an occasional small chunk like of lemon peel, but for the money I cannot complain. I don't put the pulp on the compost, I dump it right into the flower & veggie beds. Its super easy to clean if you clean it right away. I use an old toothbrush to clean the strainer. I often cut things like apples, beets and pears in half, but rarely do I have to cut up anything more than that. Just wash 'em good & juice 'em.
It is loud but I can live with that, too. Keep your $400 machines, this one suits me just fine!
***UPDATE - My HB Big Mouth is still going strong, but I noticed the blade disc/strainer was getting pretty dull after 3.5 years and juicing at least once daily for almost a year. So I called customer service, quickly got a person, ordered a new part on Feb 9 and today Feb 13 it came in the mail - regular shipping (!!!! WOW is this a great company or what?) So very pleased - 100% satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome HB Juicer, May 26, 2010
Got this juicer early this mo. after hearing that it was given a very good review by Consumer Reports. I've used it 4-5 times and am quite happy with it. It's easy to assemble, operate, clean and the price was much more reasonable than other juicers I looked at. It makes great juice and my family is hooked. We have experimented with different fruits and veggies to see what produces the best juce and what produces little juice. My favorite features are the extra wide mouth opening to insert your fruits and veggies,(they dont have to be cut into small pieces) and the ease of cleaning. I am saving money no longer buying the famous brand fruit with veggie juice now on the mkt, we are making our own and it tastes much fresher. There was a simple recipe guide included which appears to have some good recipes, but we have just had fun trying things on our own. I would highly recommend this juicer to other families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this juicer!!!!!, March 16, 2010
I love this juicer because it isn't too loud and you can juice alot of fruits and vegetables. And the price ws much cheaper than it is in the stores. I have no complaints and I use this product on a daily basis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Juicing the fruit froth in the mountains, December 13, 2011

Most of the fruits leave a lot of foamy residue on top of the glass.
I tend to use apples, oranges, grapefruits, clementines, & tomatos (Carrots have the least amount of foam). I find that trimming the fruit will do away with some of the foam, but it seems a bit much sometimes & it if it goes down at all, it is unnoticeable.

Cleaning is a cinch! I use my plastic grocery bags for the large plastic "pulp" catcher, and it works fine. I rinse off the compartments right away (if you wait, the pulp WILL stick, making it harder to clean).

I do not know if it is juicing or this particular juicer, but to make one full glass of juice takes a lot of fruit. My favorite juice is clementine juice, so I end up using an entire bag to make 2 tall glasses (16 oz) of juice. 3 apples for one glass, 2 large grapefruit for one glass (just so you get an idea).

I am satisfied with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best juicer I've had, March 30, 2011
The Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer does a better job of any juicer I've had. I've been juicing for years and have had several different kinds of juicers. The Hamilton Beach extracts more juice with less waste, and the cleanup is a breeze. I highly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, August 22, 2011
I got this juicer last week because I wanted a healthy easy way to get my husband and son to take in their fruits and vegetables as they weren't taking in any otherwise unless forced. The Hamilton Big Mouth has a big mouth, easy to assemble and easy to clean. Although a small apple would fit inside the mouth I don't recommend it. In fact the best way to get more bang for your juice is to cut the fruit ahead of time otherwise you'd end up with chunks of fruit and pulp in the pulp container making it seem like it wasn't fully juiced. Another downside to it is that it is very loud! As loud as a vacum. And from reading other reviews possibly because I did put in the whole apple instead of cutting it at least in half is that the pulp is kinda still juicy. I bought a variety of fruits and veggies to experiment with and carrot, apple, pear, cucumber, tomato, celery, and spinach are the most juiceable. I do NOT recommend Kale, banana, mango, oranges or lemons. It might be the fruit themselves did not have juice, but I think the pith on the citrus fruits were making it harder to juice. But for a starter juicer and only for $62 it's a great start to juicing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Juice Juice and more juice., July 30, 2011
Saif "smart shopper" (NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I'll tell you what, I'm one of those odd balls that researched EVERYTHING before I make a purchasing decision. I looked at consumer reports, google and the internet and it boiled down to 3 Juicers: The Jack Lalaine, The breville, and this one. I finally made a decision on the HB Big Mouth seen here. The price was right on target as well as the wattage (800). After getting it and making some juice, I was more than impressed. I didn't even find it loud AT ALL and cleanup was a pinch. The mesh catcher/strainer is always going to be annoying to clean, that's just the nature of a juicer. Other than that it was easy. I figure if this thing last me a year or two, it will have been worth the 56 dollars with free shipping that I invested. DO you research and settle on this little beauty for daily juicing and you will be more than impressed.

To all other who rate things poorly because you got a lemon: Understand how production of machines work. NO THING is inherently perfect. If 1 out of 100 items is defective, that's a 99% success ratio. It just may be unfortunate that you were the 1 person who got the defective unit. Most quality product stay at the 97%-99% success range, which is quite high. NO company has 100% quality control.

ENJOY YOUR JUICE for HEALTH!

Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Black