Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Grey|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on June 13, 2008
I read the reviews on this juicer and wondered why some gave rave reviews and others gave this juicer rotten reviews. Since most of the reviews were positive, I decided to take a chance and buy it. I'm glad I did.

The Decision - Out of all the top reviewed juicers on Amazon, Epinion, Best-Juicer-Reviews, and ConsumerSearch, this had the longest warranty (1 yr), highest horsepower motor (1.1 hp) and lowest price ($69). All of the top rated juicers have wide mouths (3+ in) and are dishwasher safe. This is why I bought it. The juicers I looked at were Breville BJE 200XL, 800 JEXL, BJE 510XL, Jack Lalanne power juicer and Hamilton Beach 67650.

The Good - It juices fast, it is easy to clean (5 min by hand, no dishwasher), and is inexpensive. Most of all, it saves me time. I could eat fast food (no more cooking and cleaning as this is dishwasher safe) without having to eat fattening drive-thru food. It is fast and nutritious.

The Bad - It is not cheap to operate because you waste a lot of food in the pulp, especially if you make juice from soft fruits and vegetables. If you are making juice from hard stuff, it will be very efficient. The pulp will be a fine, moist dust. There is very little waste. However, if you are making juice from soft fruit, it will make a lot of soft, mushy wasted pulp. This juicer is perfect for hard stuff like carrots and broccoli stems. For soft stuff like watermelon and spinach leaves, I'll use my blender instead. Or, you could try re-juicing the pulp to extract more juice out of it. Or you could do what I do to avoid wasting the juicy pulp: I feed my dog the pulp.

The Conclusion - The faults with this juicer are not faults with this particular model, but a fault with all centrifugal juicers (spinning knife blade used to juice). A masticulating juicer would produce less waste but would be much slower to operate. It takes a much longer time to make a cup of juice with a masticulating (grinding gears) juicer. A citrus juicer makes citrus juice only.

A perfectionist or very frugal person would probably opt for less wet pulp waste by buying a masticulating juicer such as an Omega 8005. A person with a busy lifestyle would probably prefer a fast juicer that is easy to clean like this one. A person who drinks citrus juice a lot would probably buy a citrus juicer. If you are making wheat grass juice, then buy a wheat grass juicer.

Depending on what you need, you may get a different juicer. However, for the price, it is impossible to get a better general purpose juicer. I will re-review this juicer in a year to give a report on it's durability.

Update:
6 months after the purchase, a friend of mine "borrowed" it and never returned it. I haven't visited this friend in a while so I don't know how it's holding up. For what it's worth, it can stand up to at least 6 months of daily use.
4343 comments| 2,531 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2011
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.
2121 comments| 1,109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
I purchased this juicer after reading the book "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in which they recommend very nice juicers ranging from $300-$400+. After checking Consumer Reports in which this Hamilton Beach juicer is one of their recommended buys, it seemed to be a no-brainer. This thing rocks! Leftover pulp is dry dry dry, I can't imagine any other juicer doing a better job of extracting all the juice. And it doesn't matter what it is - apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, leafy greens like spinach and kale, it makes juice of them all with ease. And clean up is a snap (and I HATE appliances that are not easy to clean, and usually end up not using them just so I don't have to clean them). This juicer comes with a handy little brush that gets in all the little spaces and cleans the filter with little to no effort. Very few pieces - just rinse the 4 pieces with hot water and brush clean the filter and that's it! Easy peasy.
The one reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars...
No container included to catch your juice, you must use your own receptacle which is a pain if you're making any more than one large coffee cups worth. You have to do multiple cups of multiple veggies and fruits and mix them all together in the end.
Couple cleaning tips: Spray the pulp container lightly with pam or non-stick spray lightly before using and the stuff will slide right out. And, after all juicing is done, put a small amount of hot water through the juicer - this makes the filter much easier to clean.
66 comments| 524 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2008
It's great in every way. Get this one, not the one with plastic latches.

I have a video review here if you are interested:
HB 67600

Veggies that don't work for me in this juicer:

oranges
pineapple
- too much bitter pulp included

pears
bananas
- too much like a puree

Fruits that work really really well:
Mangoes, Kiwis, watermelon, pomegranates (seeds only), strawberries (extra yummy and no seeds!),
carrots (zapow!), celery and so on.

Get this one, not the one with plastic latches:
Hamilton Beach 67600 Big Mouth Juice Extractor, White
They break.
2020 comments| 707 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2007
I did quite a bit of research before I bought this juicer. This is my first juicer & I must say I'm pretty happy with it. Here are my quick list of pros & cons -

PROS:
----
1.) Very easy to assemble out of the box & even easier to operate
2.) Get very good quantities of juice
3.) Powerful motor & easy to handle, where I am able to shove in whole apples, carrots, oranges etc
4.) Not too much hassle to clean the juicer.

CONS:
-----
1.) Would have liked if the juice collector jar was bigger
2.) Taking out the blade from the juicer takes a li'l practice - not very easy.

All in all - i think i would have given this 5 stars if I didn't have the 2 minor cons as listed above. I love fresh juice & thats why I love this juicer. Does its job well !!
33 comments| 399 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2010
So I bought this juicer from walmart back in June 2007 for only $45. I used it daily since. Love this juicer. I got it for my own health, but ended up getting my kid hooked as well :)
Well, today it stopped working. The motor broke, and the rubber started smoking right in the middle of carrot/lettuce/beet juice :(
I was disappointed to see the price go up so much, because I really wanted the same one. But 3 years of daily use, I'd say thats pretty good for an inexpensive juicer.
Would recommend this to anyone.
33 comments| 568 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2006
As there are no other reviews and selecting juicers can be confusing, I thought I'd offer some feedback. My 1.1 HP Hamilton Beach 67650 just arrived and I'm thrilled. It even juices ginger, which isn't an easy job for any juicer. My budget was very limited for this purchase, but I didn't want to compromise on quality. With this machine, I feel I got the equivalent of a juicer priced several times the price. More power than the $200 and up machines I was considering.
0Comment| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2007
This is my first experience with a juicer, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It actually produces more juice than I expected. Just as the instructions suggest, it's easy to clean up, except for the strainer basket, which requires the use of a brush, which is thoughtfully included in the package. It fits nicely among the other appliances on my kitchen countertop, and so far seems to be standing up well to daily use.
22 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
OMG. I just received my juicer today and from reading all the reviews i was expecting to have to wear earplugs to use the thing as well as doing some serious cleaning post juicing. Well it isn't silent but its not amy louder than my Vitamix really. As far as clean up I had a soapy bowl of warm water in my sink to toss all parts in and I didn't even need to do that. A scrub under running water post juicing left parts as clean as new!! I don't know what I was expecting. It is awesome. While i was waiting for it I watched Fat Sick and nearly dead on Netflix and now I think I may go on a juice fast.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2011
It's been used around our farm kitchen for about 2 years now for juicing various things from the garden. As I write this, I am on day 51 of a 60-day juice fest (not fast!) and I'm lovin' this juicer. I use it at least once daily. My main recipe is a bunch of kale (sometimes other greens like cabbage, romaine, spinach, etc.) bunch of parsley, 2-3 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 large cucumber, 2 apples, 1/2 lemon and a little piece of ginger. This basic recipe gives me 32oz juice. It is a little foamy, but I stir it good and that helps incorporate most of the foam. I keep my 16 oz glass in the freezer and that helps as I like my juice cold. What I don't drink for "breakfast" goes in the fridge for "dinner." Lunch is usually a fruit-only smoothie - 1 banana, 1/2 cup peaches, 1/2 cup berries - that I do in the blender.
I'll mix up the above juice recipe by juicing beets, pears, oranges, bell peppers, eggplant, Brussel sprouts, tomatoes or broccoli - whatever is fresh & handy - for variety. Never had a problem with any fruits or veggies. I've even juiced raw coconut meat (juice this first or alone, then scrape the "butter" off the extractor for some beneficial use, like on your skin or hair!)
It does leave a little moist pulp, sometimes an occasional small chunk like of lemon peel, but for the money I cannot complain. I don't put the pulp on the compost, I dump it right into the flower & veggie beds. Its super easy to clean if you clean it right away. I use an old toothbrush to clean the strainer. I often cut things like apples, beets and pears in half, but rarely do I have to cut up anything more than that. Just wash 'em good & juice 'em.
It is loud but I can live with that, too. Keep your $400 machines, this one suits me just fine!
***UPDATE - My HB Big Mouth is still going strong, but I noticed the blade disc/strainer was getting pretty dull after 3.5 years and juicing at least once daily for almost a year. So I called customer service, quickly got a person, ordered a new part on Feb 9 and today Feb 13 it came in the mail - regular shipping (!!!! WOW is this a great company or what?) So very pleased - 100% satisfied!
44 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse