Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hamilton Beach 67650A Big Mouth Pro Juice Extractor
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Grey|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on June 13, 2008
I read the reviews on this juicer and wondered why some gave rave reviews and others gave this juicer rotten reviews. Since most of the reviews were positive, I decided to take a chance and buy it. I'm glad I did.

The Decision - Out of all the top reviewed juicers on Amazon, Epinion, Best-Juicer-Reviews, and ConsumerSearch, this had the longest warranty (1 yr), highest horsepower motor (1.1 hp) and lowest price ($69). All of the top rated juicers have wide mouths (3+ in) and are dishwasher safe. This is why I bought it. The juicers I looked at were Breville BJE 200XL, 800 JEXL, BJE 510XL, Jack Lalanne power juicer and Hamilton Beach 67650.

The Good - It juices fast, it is easy to clean (5 min by hand, no dishwasher), and is inexpensive. Most of all, it saves me time. I could eat fast food (no more cooking and cleaning as this is dishwasher safe) without having to eat fattening drive-thru food. It is fast and nutritious.

The Bad - It is not cheap to operate because you waste a lot of food in the pulp, especially if you make juice from soft fruits and vegetables. If you are making juice from hard stuff, it will be very efficient. The pulp will be a fine, moist dust. There is very little waste. However, if you are making juice from soft fruit, it will make a lot of soft, mushy wasted pulp. This juicer is perfect for hard stuff like carrots and broccoli stems. For soft stuff like watermelon and spinach leaves, I'll use my blender instead. Or, you could try re-juicing the pulp to extract more juice out of it. Or you could do what I do to avoid wasting the juicy pulp: I feed my dog the pulp.

The Conclusion - The faults with this juicer are not faults with this particular model, but a fault with all centrifugal juicers (spinning knife blade used to juice). A masticulating juicer would produce less waste but would be much slower to operate. It takes a much longer time to make a cup of juice with a masticulating (grinding gears) juicer. A citrus juicer makes citrus juice only.

A perfectionist or very frugal person would probably opt for less wet pulp waste by buying a masticulating juicer such as an Omega 8005. A person with a busy lifestyle would probably prefer a fast juicer that is easy to clean like this one. A person who drinks citrus juice a lot would probably buy a citrus juicer. If you are making wheat grass juice, then buy a wheat grass juicer.

Depending on what you need, you may get a different juicer. However, for the price, it is impossible to get a better general purpose juicer. I will re-review this juicer in a year to give a report on it's durability.

Update:
6 months after the purchase, a friend of mine "borrowed" it and never returned it. I haven't visited this friend in a while so I don't know how it's holding up. For what it's worth, it can stand up to at least 6 months of daily use.
4343 comments| 2,532 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2011
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.
2121 comments| 1,109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2008
I just recently purchased two juicers: the Bigmouth Chrome and the Breville Compact Juice Fountain. As they are both in the same price/performance category, I thought I'd briefly compare the two for those interested in the differences-as I see it. For the record, both of these juicers are my first go at juicing and was recommended to us by our Nutritionist.
First, both are winners and perform flawlessly the task of extracting juice from a wide variety of vegetables and fruits. Both have strong motors that easily do the job at hand. Both are easy to use and clean. Both are well designed and are easily taken apart and put back together.
In all honesty, the Breville Compact Juice Fountain which costs about 40 dollars more than this Bigmouth Chrome does have a few benefits which make it worth the extra cost if price is not an object. The Breville motor seems to be a touch more powerful and a touch quieter. The Breville's juice container comes with a froth reducer (I, personally, don't mind the froth). The Breville doesn't drip juice from the spout while emptying the juicing container (just a minor annoyance). The Breville can chew up whole carrots without causing the machine to slightly "jump." The Breville has a larger juice container and doesn't fill up nearly as fast. This is not really a big deal as the juice can be transferred to a different container. The Bigmouth does have a larger pulp container that seems like a bottemless pit while the Breville's fills up faster...so it's a draw really. The Breville is easier to clean due to its clean design and lack of grooves and indentations (except, oddly, the stainless steel screen which is finer in the Bigmouth and makes a slightly smoother drink).
All in all, both are amazing bargains for the price each cost. Owning both, I don't think that I would regret having only one or the other. I use the Bigmouth and my wife uses the Breville (it is just that much easier to ensemble for use). While, in my opinion, the Breville's slightly higher cost can be justified by the slight benefits it offers, the Bigmouth Chrome is an awesome machine that cranks out delicious juices no matter what I shove down its throat :-)
I love mine!
Hope that helps,
Michael
1212 comments| 788 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
I purchased this juicer after reading the book "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in which they recommend very nice juicers ranging from $300-$400+. After checking Consumer Reports in which this Hamilton Beach juicer is one of their recommended buys, it seemed to be a no-brainer. This thing rocks! Leftover pulp is dry dry dry, I can't imagine any other juicer doing a better job of extracting all the juice. And it doesn't matter what it is - apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, leafy greens like spinach and kale, it makes juice of them all with ease. And clean up is a snap (and I HATE appliances that are not easy to clean, and usually end up not using them just so I don't have to clean them). This juicer comes with a handy little brush that gets in all the little spaces and cleans the filter with little to no effort. Very few pieces - just rinse the 4 pieces with hot water and brush clean the filter and that's it! Easy peasy.
The one reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars...
No container included to catch your juice, you must use your own receptacle which is a pain if you're making any more than one large coffee cups worth. You have to do multiple cups of multiple veggies and fruits and mix them all together in the end.
Couple cleaning tips: Spray the pulp container lightly with pam or non-stick spray lightly before using and the stuff will slide right out. And, after all juicing is done, put a small amount of hot water through the juicer - this makes the filter much easier to clean.
66 comments| 524 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2008
It's great in every way. Get this one, not the one with plastic latches.

I have a video review here if you are interested:
HB 67600

Veggies that don't work for me in this juicer:

oranges
pineapple
- too much bitter pulp included

pears
bananas
- too much like a puree

Fruits that work really really well:
Mangoes, Kiwis, watermelon, pomegranates (seeds only), strawberries (extra yummy and no seeds!),
carrots (zapow!), celery and so on.

Get this one, not the one with plastic latches:
Hamilton Beach 67600 Big Mouth Juice Extractor, White
They break.
2020 comments| 707 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2007
I did quite a bit of research before I bought this juicer. This is my first juicer & I must say I'm pretty happy with it. Here are my quick list of pros & cons -

PROS:
----
1.) Very easy to assemble out of the box & even easier to operate
2.) Get very good quantities of juice
3.) Powerful motor & easy to handle, where I am able to shove in whole apples, carrots, oranges etc
4.) Not too much hassle to clean the juicer.

CONS:
-----
1.) Would have liked if the juice collector jar was bigger
2.) Taking out the blade from the juicer takes a li'l practice - not very easy.

All in all - i think i would have given this 5 stars if I didn't have the 2 minor cons as listed above. I love fresh juice & thats why I love this juicer. Does its job well !!
33 comments| 399 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2011
This is my first juicer. The first glass of juice that I made was delicious, but I made a couple of rookie mistakes when I made it. I put the carrots through it first and it partially clogged the screen, and I was pushing the fruits and veggies through it really fast. I still got juice, but not as much as I should have.

After a few days of research on juicing in general, I came here and read some more reviews and saw that alot of people were having issues with too much waste. I had it in my mind that this juicer just wastes juice...no way around it. I went cheap and what was that. Not true though. I now know, after some testing of my own, that this is not true and this juicer puts out alot of juice if you do it right.

On my second attempt at making a glass of juice, and the start of my first juice fast, I remembered reading on here that the slower you go the more juice and less waste you get. With that in mind I put each fruit and vegetable into the feed chute by itself and didn't push down on it at all. I just let the weight of the fruit or vegetable do the work. The rusult was that out of the same amount of fruit that I had used for the first glass of juice, I now had almost too much juice! I filled the cup that comes with the juicer and had to empty it into a big glass to finish off with the carrots that I wanted in my juice.

There were a couple of times when things got stuck and I had to coax them through with the pusher(not sure what to call it). Otherwise all I did was put the veggie or fruit into the chute and let it go and I covered the top of the feeder tube with my hand to keep things from coming out. That's it. If you do that you should get alot more juice out of this juicer.

*Update* 5/4/11

Well after using this juicer for almost two weeks I started getting plastic pieces in my juice. I don't know where they were coming from but they are the color of the inside plastic piece where the grinding mechanism is seated. I have contacted Amazon to return it and will not be getting another one of these. I may go with a more expensive one this time.
55 comments| 258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2010
So I bought this juicer from walmart back in June 2007 for only $45. I used it daily since. Love this juicer. I got it for my own health, but ended up getting my kid hooked as well :)
Well, today it stopped working. The motor broke, and the rubber started smoking right in the middle of carrot/lettuce/beet juice :(
I was disappointed to see the price go up so much, because I really wanted the same one. But 3 years of daily use, I'd say thats pretty good for an inexpensive juicer.
Would recommend this to anyone.
33 comments| 568 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2006
As there are no other reviews and selecting juicers can be confusing, I thought I'd offer some feedback. My 1.1 HP Hamilton Beach 67650 just arrived and I'm thrilled. It even juices ginger, which isn't an easy job for any juicer. My budget was very limited for this purchase, but I didn't want to compromise on quality. With this machine, I feel I got the equivalent of a juicer priced several times the price. More power than the $200 and up machines I was considering.
0Comment| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2007
This is my first experience with a juicer, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It actually produces more juice than I expected. Just as the instructions suggest, it's easy to clean up, except for the strainer basket, which requires the use of a brush, which is thoughtfully included in the package. It fits nicely among the other appliances on my kitchen countertop, and so far seems to be standing up well to daily use.
22 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse