4.0 out of 5 stars great value, great capacity, for light duty though
This processor wins hands-down in its price range. Plenty of power, and the work bowl is designed to contain more liquid than most.

Published on May 31, 2009 by Richard Hall

Update May 2014: Lid flew off while grating cheese--something I do quite often with this machine. The next time I used it, the lid wouldn't stay on. So I held it on, and the motor died. Really poor product overall. Anyone need a couple of replacement bowls?!

Published on September 2, 2010 by Lover of books, sewing, kayaking

4.0 out of 5 stars great value, great capacity, for light duty though, May 31, 2009
Richard Hall "rick" (Floyd, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 70670 Chef Prep 525-Watt Food Processor, Black (Kitchen)

The limit to liquid capacity is the height of the central shaft tube of the work bowl. In the majority of food processors, including 'high end' models, the liquid capacity is often less than half of the overall capacity if the central opening was sealed. Typical '10 cup models' may only hold 4 cups of liquid.

In this '10 cup' model, the central shaft tube extends much farther up into the work bowl, giving significantly more liquid capacity; overflow into the central shaft tube is at 6 1/2 cups. If you need to maximize liquid capacity, get this one! Even if not, it is a very good machine at a very reasonable price.

edit:
Well, it has been a few months past the 1 year warranty, and it just became a doorstop. I used the shredder disc for only the 2nd time, shredding a 1/2 lb piece of cheese as I had done once before, and a few seconds into it the disc stopped rotating but the motor was running. Now it will rotate, but not with any power. Won't work with the blade any more either. Guess some part inside is a weak link and broke. So, i removed a star and probably should have removed another. It seems that this unit is ok for light-duty work only. I'll be replacing it with something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars A workhorse...., May 19, 2008
I bought this food processor last Fall to process fruit for jam making. I pick my fruit in the summer, and freeze it to make jam in the Fall to take advantage of the cooler weather. Jam making can be a hot job, especially in Texas! In previous years, I chopped my fruits by hand, but this year, my husband and I went overboard and picked pounds and pounds of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and peaches. Then a friend gave me figs! There was no way I wanted to process all of that by hand, so I started shopping for a food processor. I found several good reviews of the Hamilton Beach 70670 and it was a great price, so after a little more comparison shopping decided to take the plunge.

When I got ready to process fruit, this processor performed like a champ. The only issue I had was making sure I gauged the pulse correctly, as a few of my batches of fruit ended up almost pureed, which was not what I was aiming for! It plowed through hours of processing for 3 days of a long weekend, then several 2 day weekends. And cleanup was so easy.

This is not my first food processor, but the Hamilton Beach compares very favorably with others I have used. I really love it and look forward to my next jam making season. I use it other times for smaller jobs, but the big workout for this baby is in the Fall.

June 1, 2012 UPDATE: I bought this food processor in September 2007 and it is STILL going strong. It has plowed through marathon days of chopping and is still working like a champ. Though I mainly used it for chopping fruit, I feel that I give it a good workout as I often will have it going almost non-stop for days on end and it has not given me a single problem. If it ever dies, I will buy another one just like it.

December 1, 2014 UPDATE: Just thought I would come back an let anyone looking for a great value in a food processor, this is the one. Mine, purchased in September 2007 is still going strong. It still gets its main workout in the Fall when I make jam, but it has chopped hundreds of gallons of fruit and produce and is still doing a great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, February 28, 2009
Karen McAuley (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the Hamilton Beach Chef Prep when Cuisinart shipped me the wrong size replacement work bowl twice! Enough, I said. When I saw the Hamilton Beach in person I thought it was flimsy and cheap (about 1/4 the price of a Cuisinart, so why not?) The work bowl is light and made of a cloudy plastic, not the tough Lexan of more expensive machines. But experience has proved the Hamilton Beach an excellent small appliance and a good value. It is well designed: lock and unlock images make it clear which way to turn the work bowl to release it. A dot on the lid shows how to align it. The two disk blades are reversible and make distinctly different cuts and slices. The basic cutting blade is sharp, easy to put on, remove and clean. The machine rests on suction cups that are just strong enough to hold it in place where you want it, but release when you choose to do that. I have to admit, the motor is NOISY, but it is very efficient. A few seconds usually does the job. I use my food processor almost every day and am very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than other, more expensive ones., April 6, 2009
The 70670 is one of the best food processors out there. I did my homework before buying. It is fast, powerful, and looks good on the counter. It even chops small quantities of nuts without leaving big chunks. The light weight construction means that, for folks with a small counter top, pulling it in and out of storage is a snap. The light weight, however, has one drawback. The unit has a tendency to jump around when doing tougher tasks. It is also a little on the loud side. I had a Robot Coup unit for 20 years that I adored. However, time took its toll. This does just about everything as well. Some extensive processes like humus take a little longer than old faithful. However, in most regards, it is a very worthy successor. You could pay a lot more for a Kitchenaid, etc., but you'd kick yourself once you saw this baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerhouse processor, March 24, 2010
I had been searching for a replacement food processor for over a year now. My old Oskar had died after twenty something remarkable years of shredding/pureeing glory. The task of finding a non-humongous noise maker with power was not a simple one. I checked prices,cup sizes,leading brands, features and weight on a number of units. None seem to even come close to what I had so I gave up and bought a Cuisinart (big mistake). After 3 usages the plastic/acrylic handled bowl was physically scarred from potatoes and bananas. I was unable to return it to store as 30 days had past. Eventually I threw it in the trash. Searching on Amazon one day after comparing a lot of food processors, this Hamilton Beach system caught my eye. It wasn't huge, nor complicated, bowl size was just right. The reviews read well and the price was reasonable so I decided to buy it. HOLY CANOLI!!!! I couldn't believe the ease and quickness of this machine. It shredded my potatoes fast, clean and thorough (no big wads of unprocessed food, I was in shock!!!) Everytime I use it I say, WOW!. The chopping blade is very sharp and has worked well with various cuts of meat/veggie blends. The extra blades are marked, so no guessing games which way to place blades in processor; each side is labeled with feature i.e. blade 1 has slice on one side shred on the other, blade 2 does crinckle cut and fine shred on the other. Processor comes also with basic bowl blade for chopped, mincing and pureeing. I love this food processor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior food processor, January 4, 2009
I have searched for the perfect coleslaw maker and this food processor is it. You can also julienne, and it will also grind your onions and peppers in order to make a smooth sauce which is what I prefer. It comes with two discs which is wonderful and the price is right. My old Hamilton Beach was extremely old and I searched for the perfect food processor and this is it. One could not ask for higher quality.!

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good food processor, November 5, 2009
M. Kelly (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been using this food processor for a few months now and am very happy with my purchase. I use it daily for chopping onions, mincing garlic, making dips. It's design is simple and it is easy to use. The bowl is big, easy to attach, and easy to clean. The attachement discs/blades are also easy to use. In the past I had a small Cuisinart called something like the Little Pro Plus. Even after many uses, I had difficulty getting the lid on and off. I had to mark with a Sharpie which direction to rotate the bowl to lock it. It was a nuisance. I have none of these problems with the Hamilton Beach. I was a bit hesitant to purchase this item since the price was so much lower than most other brands, but I'm glad I did. One thing though, the first few times I used the processor it gave off a burning smell and I was afraid that the motor was being overworked. I now believe there must have been some oil on the motor that had to burn off, because after a couple of uses it was fine. No odor. A great value for the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for puree; Bowl warped; Otherwise: works fine...UNTIL, September 2, 2010
Lover of books, sewing, kayaking (Research Triangle Park area of N.C.) - See all my reviews

Update Dec. 2012: Same info as below holds true, but I've been fairly happy with this product since writing the original review--as long as I use it for the right foods. I also got a 2nd bowl for about $15, and that's actually convenient for when I'm processing lots of different recipes (fresh veggies vs. meats, for ex.) at the same time.
***

I got this product after searching long and hard for a larger food processor that would work as well as my smaller one. I guess I didn't think through how my use would vary from how the 4- and 5-star reviewers used theirs. That's my fault. However, the warped bowl is not. I'm very disappointed.

Not good for puree: And it would not even touch sesame seeds that need to be practically ground for hummus. The seeds simply remain at the bottom of the bowl. My smaller one had no problem with that.

Lid warped after only about 3-5 uses. Again, I've had my smaller food processor for 15 years, washed it hundreds of times in the top shelf of 3-4 different dishwashers with nary a problem. This bowl was washed in the same dishwasher--in water that is about as cool as it can be and still get things clean. The plastic seems cheap and I don't think it will last any length of time, warped or not.

NOTE: Very good customer service at Hamilton Beach/Proctor Silex. They're sending me a replacement lid at no charge. They at first wanted me to pay $11+ $5 shipping. But I plead my case nicely and ended up getting it for free.

MORE IMPORTANT: Call when things don't work properly. I've successfully gotten full replacements from various manufacturers for other faulty kitchen appliances in the past couple of years, simply by calling and being nice but firm: new coffee pot after the old one burned my arm, new iron after the adjustment knob wouldn't turn, and a new electric mixer when a belt jammed. (I had to cut and send the plug in at least 2 cases, I believe.) I have a faulty toaster oven that won't heat over 350 degrees that I need to check on next. It's a little bit of work to do this; but if I pay for it, I need it to work.

Best wishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the Brand - Powerful Processor!, September 5, 2010
I picked up this food processor last night primarily to make raw food bars similar to Lara Bars.

I had always perceived Hamilton Beach as an inferior brand, but because of the positive reviews their smaller food processor received here on Amazon, I decided to go ahead and purchase the larger size when I saw it in Target yesterday, even though I had not read reviews for that specific model.

I was surprised - shocked even at the perfect shreds of cheese I was able to get out of it.
Many other better known and much more expensive brands had poor reviews for this function, citing mushy cheese and container clogging.

I have used it twice since last night to shred cheese and it is SO fast, is so precise and produces uniform shreds of cheese far superior to the cheese shreds I got out of my previous food processor, which was the more expensive Cuisinart.

The BEST thing so far about the machine is how it effortlessly grinds nuts and dried fruit to make energy bars, which was my primary reason for the purchase.

If you have ever chopped dried fruit in a food processor, you know it can get sticky REAL fast and the motor can overheat easily.
I had NO such problem with this machine.

I ground about 2 cups of walnuts, then separately chopped about 2 cups of dates/raisins and a cup of banana chips.

The processor worked great.
The only time it slowed was when the fruit was finished being chopped and had formed a big sticky ball, which is exactly how I needed it and the point at which I would take it out of the machine anyway.

I thought the suction cups on the bottom were a great idea too! It stayed nice and steady on my kitchen counter.

So far, I have shredded cheese twice and made a batch of 30 energy bars..considering the bars would cost close to $2 at the store, the machine has already pretty much paid for itself.

I am already thrilled and satisfied with this purchase and happy to have been proved wrong by the brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not puree well, November 1, 2009
I bought this to make hummus, soups etc, not really to slice and dice. The puree feature did not work well for me; food was still grainy and thick and I could not get soups to come out smooth. Appearance wise, it looks fabulous. Easy to use as well. Just not very good on the puree feature.

Hamilton Beach 70670 Chef Prep 525-Watt Food Processor, Black