4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Electric Kettle
So to start with i use to this to make mostly tea (loose leaf in a defuser) and coffe (french press).

Pros
*boils fast, typically i only boil 1L at a time, it takes 3 minutes and 35 seconds to boil from room temperature.
*Plastic, this is nice because it makes it safe and easy to handle without getting burned.
*No plastic taste in the water, i...
Published on September 29, 2012 by svetcharnik

2.0 out of 5 stars Heating element needs improvement
UPDATE 10/31/12
Published on May 7, 2012 by Bouncy

2.0 out of 5 stars Heating element needs improvement, May 7, 2012
Bouncy (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamilton Beach K6080 Large Cordless Kettle, 1.8-Liter, Black (Kitchen)
UPDATE 10/31/12
Another month passed, and the kettle does not work that well anymore as I experienced in the beginning. Obviously, the rust buildup on the heating element is now somehow hindering its auto shut-off function. This means I have to manually flip the switch to turn off the kettle when water is boiling, otherwise it just keep heating up! This can really be a major safety issue, not to mention that the whole point of a electric kettle is that I don't have to stand around it watching the water. Although it is still usable, I wouldn't use it anymore. Sent an email to the company, and I was told that it's most likely due to mishandling, and I'll have to pay to ship it over to get it fixed. Since shipping this guy in its original box costs half its selling price and there's no guarantee it'll be fixed for free, I'll just opt for a new kettle. It could be problem with my tap water, but aren't these supposed to be a way to purify water anyways?

UPDATE 9/29/12
Now that I've used this kettle for over a few months, I'll take away two stars for it. The reason is that you have to keep using it very, very often, almost daily, to keep the kettle in good working order. Scale buildup, although a problem, is easily taken care of by some vinegar; however, once I leave the kettle alone for a week or two without using it, the heating element rusts. This not only makes boiling time much longer than before and consume a lot of energy, but also releases potentially harmful chemicals into your water. The only way to prevent this is to wipe the inside of the kettle dry after boiling water. Once the heating element rusts there's pretty much nothing I can do about it than replacing the kettle as it's not really possible to scrape and polish the insides.

This large kettle is very convenient for those who occasionally need hot water. I bought it looking for some tea as well as instant food and it does the job perfectly.

Pros:
-Large volume. Can boil a lot of water, which means the water stays warm a little longer when I let it sit. No need to reboil for refills.
-Power design. The "special" power connection used on the base is pretty high so I feel more comfortable leaving it near the sink.
-Cordless. I can take it away without trying to unplug it. I used to use a corded one and unplugging it can be a pain when the water is boiling inside and the kettle gets hot.
-Handle with anti-slip. Great when the kettle gets heavy.
-Switch that can turn off. The old kettle I have can only turn off itself, and this one is really convenient when I think I don't want the water anymore.

Cons:
-Scale builds up really fast. I've used it a week now and can already see some on the heating element.
-Minimum line at 0.5L. This means I have to boil at least 2+ mugs of water, even I just want a cup.
-Plastic smell needs 5+ boils to clear up.

The bad parts can be dealt with pretty easily so it's no big deal for an occasional user. If you want something to use every hour to serve a whole family (or more), consider one of the stainless steel kettles with hidden elements. This kettle will probably take some descaling, but I guess that is the cost of having one that boils a full kettle in under 4 minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 7 months - also BAD customer service, August 21, 2013
After 7 months, it just stopped working. So I emailed Hamilton Beach, here is the answer I got from them :

We are pleased to tell you that your product is still covered under the limited warranty. We will be happy to send you a replacement product. Under the terms of your limited warranty, you must first return the defective product to us and pay for the cost of sending the replacement product to you. However, because you are a valued customer we can help you save some money. Instead of returning the full product, please unplug your appliance, cut off the plug, and send a picture of the disabled unit to (email address provided). Please be sure to include your consumer number in the subject line as well as your name and address in the body of the email.

When we receive the picture of the disabled unit AND your payment of $10.99 to cover the cost of sending you a replacement product, we will ship the replacement directly to you. To pay for the shipping and handling charge, you will need to call our Consumer Affairs Department at (phone number provided) to put the shipping of $10.99 on a credit card. When calling, please be sure to reference your consumer number.

Once we receive your payment and picture of the disabled unit, you should expect your new appliance to arrive within 7-14 business days. We also ask that you keep your current appliance until your new one arrives.

Thank you again for contacting Hamilton Beach Brands, Inc. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

And here is the answer they got from me :

Dear Bad Customer Service,

I am very pleased to tell you that :

1 - for 10.99$, I can get myself a brand new electric kettle from another company
2 - doing that, I won't have to wait 7 to 14 business days and I'll have my new kettle immediately
3 - doing that, I might actually get a kettle that will last me a long time, and not 7 months which seems to be "normal" for your product since apparently you don't seem either surprised or sorry that you provided a product that stopped working after that time
4 - doing that, I will be giving my money to a company that might actually care about retaining its customers

I swear I will never, ever, buy another hamilton beach product again in my life.

PS : my new kettle will be delivered tomorrow, thank to amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Electric Kettle, September 29, 2012
svetcharnik (Rhode Island USA) - See all my reviews

Pros
*No plastic taste in the water, i only use filtered water so if it did it would be very obvious. Now that being said i did fill it to the max 6 times and boiled it and dumped the water when i first got it to clean it.
*THE PRICE

Con
*There is only one con, and that is that it doesn't make any noise when it is done other than the fact that it shuts off. If it wasn't for this fact it would have 5 stars.

Conclusion
If you are looking for a very reasonably priced electric kettle that works great than this is for you. I would buy it again in a heart beat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted less than a month, October 13, 2012
I was excited when I received my kettle unfortunately my excitement only lasted for about three weeks. My kettle just stopped working. My previous kettle lasted almost 3 years I am not happy with my purchase maybe I just got a defective one I don't know. Well it was fun while it lasted

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Working, October 28, 2012
I bought it in July and It stopped working October. It worked fine...when it worked but I expected it to last at least a year...not 3 1/2 months. First impression was that it was cheap, flimsy plastic - but for $20, I couldn't complain. I would suggest forking out more money for something of higher quality. It's not worth it to take advantage of the warranty BECAUSE Hamilton Beach says the customer is responsible for shipping to and from their center. Again...I spent $20 on the thing. Shipping would probably cost more. WIth the good reviews, I thought it would be a better quality product. It's not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, February 7, 2013
CLARE ACKROYD (SPIRIT LAKE, IA, US) - See all my reviews
When we first bought this it smelt really bad inside, the drinks we made also tasted bad. We followed the instructions and rinsed it out boiled it rinsed it out several times but it was still smelly. Eventually this went away but it will make me think twice before i buy another one from this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., June 11, 2012
This product is great and does what it says; I use it at least once a day. I drink so much more tea since I don't have to heat it on the stove. I DO NOT like hot water from the microwave! Love this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly made, terrible smell—trash!, December 5, 2013
Ana "11x17" (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Terrible—cheaply made, flimsy, and it produces a nasty chemical smell even after using it over 10 times. I threw it in the trash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, April 24, 2012
Edwin P. Morrow (Middletown, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This product performed exactly as one would hope for, and was well packaged and promptly delivered. The cord length was conveniently adjustable, which is important to avoid clutter on the kitchen top.

1.0 out of 5 stars The product is not good, October 7, 2012
Before buying this kettle, I read in one of reviews that there was strong smell never gone away. But I did not pay attention on that, I thought it was very rare case. Unfortunately, I had exactly the same: even after 2 weeks, there was the strong unpleasant smell. It was awful. I do not recommend this product.

Hamilton Beach K6080 Large Cordless Kettle, 1.8-Liter, Black