Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: White|Style Name: 2 Jar|Change

on August 24, 2011
This product is an effective and useful single-serving drink mixer that comes with a few drawbacks.

It is basically a tiny kitchen blender with a pulse-blend button and no other speed settings. The mixer jar works just like a blender: it is a plastic jar with ounce/ml graduations on the side that contains a built-in mixer blade with a lug on the bottom to spin it when it is on the motor; you put the jar on top of the motor unit, twist to lock it into place (be sure the lid is on tight!), and hit the pulse button on the motor. The motor screams like a dying gerbil and the blade in the jar spins to mix your stuff. When that's done, you just pull the jar off the mixer and take it with you - blade and all. The mixer jar doubles as your drink container. The lid has a slideable spout cover for drinking from, and there is a plastic rim on the bottom so you can stand it upright. The jar is about 7 inches tall by 3.5 inches wide - so about the size of a large coffee carry-container; it holds up to 16 ounces. It is not insulated.

You cannot disassemble it for cleaning; you just wash with soap and water. (I've found that pulsing the jar with some soap and warm water inside works pretty well, but it takes some effort to get down around the very bottom of the mixing blades with a brush.) The lid has a lot of grooves and crannies but it cleans up pretty well; if you're some kind of sterility fanatic, it's hard to get under the sliding spout cover, but you can rinse it with soap and water to get it clean.

As to functionality, as far as this unit goes, it's fine. The mixing action is quite good, and the lid stays tightly on the jar. I've mostly used it for light powder mixes, nothing heavy; it does well with that, and takes very little pulsing to get a good mix. The directions state that it is not to be used for hot drinks, or heavy solid foods. It can probably handle fruit chunks, but it is far from a powerhouse.

A few drawbacks: as noted, the motor is not strong. Others have complained that it burns out with long use; I have only used it in quick-pulse mode, and that is what I would recommend. It runs at very high speed and vibrates if you don't hold it while pulsing; I don't know how long you can expect it to last - it really does seem to be laboring with even light duty. My real complaint is the lid: the only lids provided are the "drink-through" type with a hole in the lid near the drinking spout, and a flat sliding cover that opens and closes the hole (it is not a positive-cover system, like some spring-loaded types - it is just a flat cover that slides in a groove back and forth over the hole). The cover is nowhere near watertight, and there is also a small airhole on the other side of the lid that has no cover at all. This means that the drink will seep out easily if you tip the jar, even with the lid on and the cover closed. Liquid also oozes up around the hole cover while you are pulsing the mixer, so the lid gets wet and dirty before you even finish making your drink. If you are carrying it in a bag or purse, you have got to be very careful never to tip the bag, and probably should enclose the drink cup in a plastic bag. This is a pain, and really detracts from the usefulness of the system, which is, obviously, intended to be portable. I don't understand why they built a product expressly for the purpose of creating liquid drinks to take out of the home with you, and made the container leaky. I would prefer a simple completely closed cover that you could remove to drink; I understand that many people prefer the sip covers, especially in their cars, but, compared to other to-go containers on the market, this one is unusually cheesy. If you are using this system to make drinks to take with you for lunch or a workout later in the day, you essentially have to spend your entire day worrying about leaks and remembering to hold your container carefully upright - which is the opposite of making things easier for you.

In short, the system works well enough and is very convenient in terms of speed and ease of use. It takes only minutes to mix up a drink, and then you don't have to find a container to put it in (or have two separate containers to clean). Having two mixer jars is great for couples or for making two drinks to have with you at different times of the day. However, there are questions about the durability of the motor, and the leaky lid creates a serious hassle. The latter is particularly regrettable, because otherwise it's a great system.
1212 comments|415 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2010
This blender is good for the price. You get what you pay for. I paid $15.00 for it to travel with to make smoothies. If you hold down the button too long, there is a little burning smell coming from the motor, so it would be easy to burn it out. I have just blended protein powder, milk, and bananas with this and it has worked well for me. It's better to pulse the start button than to keep it running.
33 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
Pro's:
- easy to clean as blades are in both cups just pop them in the dishwasher
- Makes great smoothies

Cons:
- After six months one of the cups broke, but for a $20 blender this is not a big deal
- Does have a bad small when used, smells like the motor is burning, but this goes away. I know this sounds terrible but it works fine.
- Sounds like it's struggling but it does the job

CONCLUSION: If you want to make smoothies for breakfast, particularly 2+ a day, this is a great value and honestly I was willing to spend more but this one is more convenient than the 50+$ blenders. This is why I give it 5 stars despite the fact it is not a perfect item.

Bonus Smoothie recipe:
- 1 cup of milk / almond milk / soy milk
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- half a cup of mixed berries (costco sells big bags of these)
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter

This is a super delicious smoothie that also will give you what you need before a workout!
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2010
We used to have the single personal blender, but when it finally blew, we had to find another. What a surprise to find Hamilton Beach made one with two jars, and we got it for not much more than we paid for the first one!
WHAT A DEAL!
Got it in great time, and as I said above...WORKS LIKE A CHARM...and believe me, we use this every day, if it didn't work well, I would definitely be letting you know!
on June 29, 2010
I purchased this for my grandson who likes to make fruit shakes and it works great. It takes ice cubes well.
on April 25, 2013
Looking at this little blender it's pretty obvious what it's meant for. It's for smoothies or soft shakes. It is not meant for heavy duty grinding or chopping or mixing. That being said I'd like to say this thing rocks for what it is meant for.
This house uses it for slim-fast shakes and home made banana shakes. When the hotter weather arrives this house will be using it for smoothies (using crushed ice of course).

I've been using this little blender for about 3 months and a relative was so impressed with how handy this little guy is she ordered one for herself. She has a plethora of other blenders both big and small, cheap and ridiculously expensive and she thought the world of this little guy! That's gotta say something about the product.

I needed something fast, convenient and space saving. I didn't need the god of all blenders just to make a shake I just wanted something easy. I read up on a lot of blenders and I did my reading up on this one too and decided to buy it. I haven't been let down this this one yet.

If you are one of those people that buy a little blender and try to stuff giant ice cubes in it and frozen fruits then complain on a website that it doesn't work... you deserve a kick in the pants. Common sense here people, common sense. This blender isn't designed to be turned on for like 10 minutes at a time with hard objects/food in it.

This blender performs superbly for shakes and I love the fact it has little sippy lids so you can take the jar right with you in the car, no fuss no muss. Here is the good the bad and the ugly of it all.

The Good

- Efficient

- Fast

- Space saving

- Easy on electricity

- Easy to clean

- Cups that can fit in most cars/trucks/SUVs

- lid has a tab that slides open and closed to cover the drinking hole

- Drinks are very smooth

- Takes up little space on the counter or in a cupboard

- Not as loud as a normal full sized blender

- Lets you control what goes into your smoothie and into your body

- Allows for healthier drinks

- Inexpensive

The bad and ugly

No complaints here!

The bottom line

If used correctly this blender will be your best friend. It has the power to make soft shakes and not too stiff smoothies (using crushed ice) but it doesn't have the power to do tasks it wasn't made for. I love this blender and I have recommended it to friends who have in turn recommended it to their friends. I will continue to use this blender daily because frankly the shakes it makes are top shelf. A small side note...this isn't one of those blenders you just turn on and walk away from, this is a pulse control blender and that means you need to hold down the blender button (pulse) until the level of desired blending is achieved.
review image review image review image review image review image
on September 6, 2011
After much deliberation here on Amazon, I purchased the Hamilton Beach Single-Serve Blender with 2 jars/2 lids, and I love it! First, there's not a "burning smell" that comes off the blender; that's actually the smell of ozone, which is produced by the electrical motor. So, this is not a blender that is somehow burning up when being used. Second, there's plenty of warnings in the manual to keep your hand on top of the lid/jar when blending, so if the lid is properly sealed with your hand on top, it's not going to leak. Finally, the big "PULSE" label over the main button makes it pretty clear that this single-serve blender is designed to be used in short bursts, rather than continuously like a full-size blender. So far, I've limited it to milk shakes and instant breakfasts, and it works exactly as intended. Based on how it chops up frozen chocolate, it should be fine for fresh and frozen fruit and ice as well, as long as the user properly uses the PULSE button. I love having the second jar for when someone comes over, and being able to drink right from the mixing jar is a guilty pleasure that would make my mom very unhappy. I could have spent a lot more, but getting two jars/lids with this blender for this price is wonderful!
on January 22, 2012
I love this tiny little blender. Sometimes if my fruit starts to go bad before I can eat it all, I wash it, cut it up, and put it in the freezer. I use that and some almond milk to make my smoothies. This blender isn't too loud and it looks cute sitting on my counter. I also love that you can wrap the electrical cord around the base for easy storage.

The thing I love most about it is that clean up is a breeze! As long as you give the jar a quick rinse after you are done drinking, 99% of the crud washes away. No heavy scrubbing required.

I have only been using it for a couple of weeks but I am happy with it so far. I do wish that it came with some recipes. Also, another thing to watch out for: If you don't add enough liquid, the blender can stall. So if you notice that it isn't blending well, add a little water or milk and you are good to go.
on October 23, 2011
I was looking for an inexpensive blender for my morning smoothies, and this one does the trick. I've had it for a few months now (in black, and only the single-jar package) and have used it about five times per week since I bought it. I've never put the cup in the dishwasher, though handwashing can be a pain. The cup has the blender blade in the bottom, and I've poked my hand on it on more than one occasion while trying to clean it thoroughly. Also, the inside of the cup has about six small raised ridges that run almost the whole length of the cup. Food/drink components tend to build up a little bit next to these ridges, so you have to specifically go up and down the ridges with a wash cloth to get it perfectly clean (going around the cup interior in a circle does not address these ridges very well). It's not a big deal, but I thought it was worth mentioning. The lid has a groove where it fits onto the cup, and that can also be difficult to clean. The lid also has a plastic piece that you push back and forth to open or close the drinking hole. I sometimes use my fingernail to "peel" that plastic part up slightly in order to run water under it and get everything out from under there. I've found that my best bet is to wash (or at least rinse) this cup and lid pretty soon after drinking my smoothie so as not to let the residue dry onto the blender.
A typical smoothie for me can consist of one frozen banana (that was chopped into one-inch pieces prior to freezing), a tablespoon of flaxseed meal, some spinach or other greens, maybe half an apple cut into one- or two-inch pieces with skin on, and a cup or so of liquid. The blender has no problem with these ingredients, though flaxseed meal doesn't seem to get ground up anymore than when I take it out of the bag, and apples can create a bit of a weird texture since they're not ground up perfectly either. Fruits with skin (blueberries, apples) or any greens tend to leave small (1mm or less) bits in the smoothie, but I suppose if you didn't want the fruit's fiber in your drink then you'd be purchasing a juicer instead of a blender anyway. This blender is capable of blending some things to a perfect creamy consistency -- it just depends on what you put into it. With just frozen bananas and milk, you can make a perfectly creamy ice-cream-type of dessert in under 45 seconds.
You do have to hold the button down the whole time it's blending (it does not stay on by itself), but I've never had to blend anything for longer than a minute. I've pulsed things repeatedly and I've held it on for 60 seconds straight without letting go, both with hard bananas in there, and I've never had a problem with the motor. It does sometimes smell like plastic a little bit, but it works again perfectly the next morning when I go back for more.
The cup clicks into place on the base to lock it, so you can operate the machine with just one hand holding the button, but I rarely ever use the locking feature. I find it quicker to just set the cup down (you don't even really need to line it up at all), hold my hand on top (even sometimes with the lid barely on), and hold the power button with the other hand. It's pretty simple.
The lid fits on tightly if you want it to, and I've never had any issues with leakage. I suppose if I left it tipped over in my bag or shook the closed container violently enough, then my smoothie would start to leak out around the edges of the open/close mechanism at the top of the lid (where you sip from), but I've not had a problem yet.
At this point, knowing that it has worked fine for a few months now, I wouldn't hesitate to re-purchase this blender if it were to somehow stop working tomorrow. In my opinion, it's well worth the price. I knocked off one star not based on blender quality (because I think its quality surpasses its price point) but based on the inconvenience of cleaning it. If I didn't own this already, I'd probably buy the package with two jars for the convenience in times when my husband also wants a smoothie.
on August 25, 2011
The lids don't screw on, so do not fit very well, so right from the start they would leak from the top. As cheap as these are, I thought I could deal with that and just be careful. Then it started leaking while I was using the blender, but not too badly, so thought I could live with it. I have barely been using these a month, and now they also leak from the bottom, as soon as you pour anything in them. Absolute crap product but because I waited too long before I started using them, it's too late to return them to Amazon.